wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

i totally agree they aren't lieing to us or anything i feel they just are waiting before they show us stuff (or don't show us because it isn't done) i just feel that if they keeping it from us temporarily to help build hype or something that the time they wait is too long

So... let's say they give us a firm date like... "Oh it will be released on March 15th without a doubt"

You're all hyped for it, you mark the date on your calendar. You literally cannot sleep the night before. Then on March 15th, the game doesn't come along, maybe there was a glitch in the certification process on XBox, or the Microsoft corp wants something else tweaked,  Gun tells everyone "Due to unforeseen circumstances, there will be another week delay." What if it happens a second time?

"But they said it would be March 15th, GunMedia is a bunch of stinking liars! I hate this game! I'm never going to play it now!"

How is that any different than how you guys are acting right now? They don't want to be called liars, they don't want to make a promise that they aren't able to keep. That's why they aren't releasing a date yet. It shouldn't detract your hype that we are getting a Jason game, if it is then maybe you'd be better off playing Dead by Daylight or some other horror game. Right now, stick to Early 2017 because until they have a date that they are sure of we will not get anything different.

• Like 1

You're right, we aren't entitled to anything, but is it a reason to give absolutely no criticism. I know the game is gonna be amazing, I just have trouble with the marketing.

Back in Fall 2016, the team was being extremely honest about not including single player and having the game out Fall 2016 for sure and everyone was praising their "transparency". Then they blindsided us with a delay.

And if the late 2016 beta is any indication, there was absolutely no chance whatsoever that this game was ever gonna be complete in Fall 2016, so that raises the question : How honest had the team actually been until the delay?

Now the same thing is happening with "Early 2017", which is a big, non-commital release window, and its looking more and more like they won't be able to respect it.

They can do what they want with their game, as you said we're not entitled to anything even if we supported the game, but I think drawing out this suspense is doing more to kill hype than generate it.

If the game isn't ready, they could just tell us and then we'd move on and get hyped closer to release, but this constant irrealistic teasing is, in my opinion, causing more resentment than excitement.

This is my observation (I could be wrong but hear me out. :P)

What it sounds like to me, and devs may or may not correct me here, is that the game itself is pretty much finished. Maybe there's some bug fixes and tweaking still, but for the most the content is done and the focus is primarily on getting the console ports through certification. So to me that sounds like the game itself is complete, but until the cert is approved they can't go gold. At the point that it's finally approved, and from what I've read from a while ago it's about 7-9 days or so from the certification submission for approval or rejection (It could have changed as that was a 2012ish story I think), the game will go Gold.

Once Gold per Wes, it's "roughly" about 30 days after that that they can start selling the game's preorders on the various platform stores. So to be honest, at a minimum, there's at least a month left but probably more. I'm not expecting we'll get a solid release that will land any earlier than mid-April at the earliest and that's 100% speculation.

So here’s my promise to you. Once we pass certification we are considered “Gold”. The very second that happens, we can release a date. The moment we hit “Gold” it will roughly be 30 days after that when the game is available for sell. So why not go ahead and take pre-orders via PS4, XB1 and Steam? Well, because they don’t allow preorders until we are 30 days from launch. Bigger, AAA, games have some leverage here, which is why you see pre-orders months and months before target launch. They have a relationship with MS, Sony and Valve. We’re the little guys, so we’re treated a little differently. It’s the nature of the beast. Sony has been a little more open to this idea and we’re working with them now to see if we can get a larger pre-order window. 

Thanks guys for being patient. I just wanted to take the time to explain this whole process and hopefully assure each of you that we’re not being jerks about this. We just don’t want to let you down. 

-Wes Keltner

Knowing the industry such as it is, if they have passed certification, at this point it would make way more sense to bite the bullet, eat the hate, and make the big announcement at PAX East, where more eyes will be on the product as many gaming news outlets will be there. That would give them maximum exposure for the whole "Gone Gold" announcement as more people will talk, tweet, report, make videos, and post news about the announcement as opposed to an obscure announcement on their forums.

I could be wrong though. PAX could pass and we'll get just another panel, or we could see another delay. But if I were a betting man, my money would be on a PAX announcement of Gold. But what do I know? I'm simply a meager peasant with an opinion. ~walks back into the ether~

Edit: half my post vanished so adding again. 

If a couple months of delay is enough to kill your hype for this game, you were never hyped for it to begin with, you were just following the flavor of the week.  Most of us have waited our whole lives for a game like this.

If a couple months of delay is enough to kill your hype for this game, you were never hyped for it to begin with, you were just following the flavor of the week. Most of us have waited our whole lives for a game like this.

Interest and hype are two different things. Hype is usually generated close to a game's release by a reveal teailer and then its exacerbated by new information and details until it reaches a boiling point where the game is released for maximum payoff.

Here the hype was planned to reach its boiling point in Fall 2016 but then there was a delay. Then the virtual cabin and beta kept it going for a while but now news and details have been few and far between. The hype hasn't been well managed. I still have interest, but hype? No

• Like 1

Interest and hype are two different things. Hype is usually generated close to a game's release by a reveal teailer and then its exacerbated by new information and details until it reaches a boiling point where the game is released for maximum payoff.

Here the hype was planned to reach its boiling point in Fall 2016 but then there was a delay. Then the virtual cabin and beta kept it going for a while but now news and details have been few and far between. The hype hasn't been well managed. I still have interest, but hype? No

Every single day that I wake up, I crave the game and can't stop thinking about it.  I have dreams about playing it.  It's your own fault if you aren't hyped.  You're getting yourself mad at the developers because they're doing their job, that's your own fault not theirs.

• Like 1

Probably not going to be out till October

Well if I'm being an optimist, I could say they drop it on the 13th and we get to play on Friday the 13th during Halloween season. 

Well if I'm being an optimist, I could say they drop it on the 13th and we get to play on Friday the 13th during Halloween season. 

Posted about this a while back. It's a great marketing idea to tie launch into that kind of date. However, here in the US games generally release on Tuesdays for some reason. Don't ask me why. :P But that's pretty much the kink in that armor of an idea.

But I refer to my previous comment on where I speculate we'll get an announcement.

• Like 1

Every single day that I wake up, I crave the game and can't stop thinking about it.  I have dreams about playing it.  It's your own fault if you aren't hyped.  You're getting yourself mad at the developers because they're doing their job, that's your own fault not theirs.

I disagree. I'm very much interested in this game, but as SexDrugs&Tea said they just haven't been releasing much info and the hype is going down (at least for me and some others). I'm sure the hype will go back up when they show off some new stuff and give us a release date. Its great that you're still hyped though :)

• Like 1

Its getting kindve boring to me with no real news. I only really come here to read odd new threads about moaning jasons and flying bug spaceships evidently at this point lol

• Like 4

Its getting kindve boring to me with no real news. I only really come here to read odd new threads about moaning jasons and flying bug spaceships evidently at this point lol

I could always recommend a few horror games to tide ya over, CrazyRalph. :P Wish I could recommend myself but I think I've played most of the good ones. 

I still feel like there's probably an announcement about the game going gold and launch window in the tank for PAX. I could be wrong but that's what I feel anyway. That would just be the logical place to make the announcement for max reach at this stage short of heading to E3. And if it's about ready for roll-out, that would be marketing would kibosh all the chatter until the big announcement.

Again, I could be 100% wrong. I'm just a peasant spouting nonsense. ~walks back into the dark mist~

I could always recommend a few horror games to tide ya over, CrazyRalph. :P Wish I could recommend myself but I think I've played most of the good ones.

I still feel like there's probably an announcement about the game going gold and launch window in the tank for PAX. I could be wrong but that's what I feel anyway. That would just be the logical place to make the announcement for max reach at this stage short of heading to E3. And if it's about ready for roll-out, that would be marketing would kibosh all the chatter until the big announcement.

Again, I could be 100% wrong. I'm just a peasant spouting nonsense. ~walks back into the dark mist~

I agree I feel pax would be the perfect opportunity to announce a release date or at least if they finally passed console cert.

Every single day that I wake up, I crave the game and can't stop thinking about it. I have dreams about playing it. It's your own fault if you aren't hyped. You're getting yourself mad at the developers because they're doing their job, that's your own fault not theirs.

There's a difference between hype and obsession dude you from your description you're are obsessed with it hype is a thing that always has to die eventually unless the creators put out new trailers weekly. and of course those of the people who lost the hype are normal people but people who obsess about it for months constantly thinking of it even when they wake in the morning like what you said are no life people like weeaboos and furries

There's a difference between hype and obsession dude you from your description you're are obsessed with it hype is a thing that always has to die eventually unless the creators put out new trailers weekly. and of course those of the people who lost the hype are normal people but people who obsess about it for months constantly thinking of it even when they wake in the morning like what you said are no life people like weeaboos and furries

I think the people with no life are the ones blaming the developers for not somehow magically creating "hype" in them.  If you're truly a fan of F13, and especially if you played in the beta, you're still hyped.  If you actually care about F13 and this game, the Tom Savini teaser made you freak out, and before that, seeing each other Jason model reveal.  I really don't understand how people can claim to be "over" the game less than 2 months after the beta.  To me, that just means they never cared much in the first place, and only latched on because it was popular at the time, and are now wanting to move on to the next Call of Duty game or whatever kids think is cool now.

Plus, you really expect me to believe people who whine and cry every day that the devs are personally ruining their lives by not releasing the game/more info AREN'T hyped beyond reason?  If they're literally going insane with pure rage about it, obviously they want it pretty damn badly.

Sometimes reading some of things said on here, twitter and other sources, I feel the devs should have just said '2017' and saved themselves a lot of trouble.

I have been a fan of F13 since the first time I snuck a movie at about 11-12 years old. I'm 30 now (sigh) and to this day, if anything new F13 related gets announced, I get giddy with excitement.

Think about whats happened for F13 in the last 18-19 years....Jason X, FvJ, '09 Remake, an endless list of start-stop sequels that only recently got cancelled again. A few comics...Notice that I'm not exactly drowning in new F13 stuff to get excited for.

Then there was this game...finally a game that would look as good as games today, and allow me to finally play AS Jason. I can help FUND this game with fellow content starved F13 fans!? Sign me up. 

Now we have wait a few more weeks or months to play the game? HA, I can do that standing on my head.

Of course I want it now. I'd rather be loading the game than typing this. But I can't, oh well. Pax in a few days which was promoted as being a 'meaty' update. Cert soon, then release, then we can all run around with our (sometimes quite literally) heads off.

Guys, unless you're new to F13, you should be fairly used to delays, postponements, cancellations and disappointment.

At least we will still get a solid product at the end of the road, however much longer it may be.

• Like 2

I think the people with no life are the ones blaming the developers for not somehow magically creating "hype" in them.  If you're truly a fan of F13, and especially if you played in the beta, you're still hyped.  If you actually care about F13 and this game, the Tom Savini teaser made you freak out, and before that, seeing each other Jason model reveal.  I really don't understand how people can claim to be "over" the game less than 2 months after the beta.  To me, that just means they never cared much in the first place, and only latched on because it was popular at the time, and are now wanting to move on to the next Call of Duty game or whatever kids think is cool now.

Plus, you really expect me to believe people who whine and cry every day that the devs are personally ruining their lives by not releasing the game/more info AREN'T hyped beyond reason?  If they're literally going insane with pure rage about it, obviously they want it pretty damn badly.

You're being a dick calling others down. Take a breather ffs.

• Like 2

You're being a dick calling others down. Take a breather ffs.

I'm sick of people blaming the devs for their own lack of patience and short attention spans.

• Like 1

Posted about this a while back. It's a great marketing idea to tie launch into that kind of date. However, here in the US games generally release on Tuesdays for some reason. Don't ask me why. :P But that's pretty much the kink in that armor of an idea.

But I refer to my previous comment on where I speculate we'll get an announcement.

I never did get that Tuesday thing myself. 

But yeah, I'm hoping you're right. Either way, now, October, whenever. I'm gonna play the hell out of it when it drops. 

• Like 1

I'm sick of people blaming the devs for their own lack of patience and short attention spans.

There's more to it than that though. You're oversimplifying things alot.

• Like 1

In relation to the "hype" conversation, here's a couple of gauges.

The Gamestop 50:

image.jpg

The game peaked at 2, which is awesome, but has steadily declined. Still, 11th is pretty damn good.

Google Trends:

image.jpg

This Google Trends shows a huge spike around the time of the beta. The game has been trending down since but still maintains itself higher than before the beta.

Personally, I'm not hyped- I'm simply looking forward to it, quite a bit too. I find it difficult to get hyped about things when there's no pay off (like a release date). I'll be hyped after a release date is given and when we're only a few days away from finally jumping in.

• Like 3

well for someone like me who does love the movies and game who found out about the game late january i didnt get to play the beta and so i cant wait because i feel cheated out the beta and i dont see how the tom savini trailer was enough to still keep you hyped it kept me hyped for i wanna say 3 days before i had rewatched the trailer i wanna say 5 times and already got past it because me thinking to myself afterwards well it's not techinically that much to be hyped for sure savini is a legend and the skin will probably rock but a silloughette aint gonna keep me at bay for a half a month i did freak out for like 3 days and also if people arent obssessing over the game 2 months after the beta then they arent obssessed with the game not latching onto something for a long period of time isnt obssessing you are saying latching onto it for a long time isnt obssessing which doesnt make sense if you are buying into hype for long periods of time even after a long time with not much info that is obsessing like the people who still buy almost anything with (let's say a classic movie from the 80s) name on it or still rewatch the movies let's say once every week that is obsessing you can't hold onto something that's just a movie or game for long periods of time without something new to it unless it teaches a important life lesson and it very well written like star wars or something and of course last time i checked most of the f13 games dont exactly have great writing and doesnt exactly teach loving life lessons i dont see how people today dont see loving something not well written and such for months as not obsessive

• Like 1

well for someone like me who does love the movies and game who found out about the game late january i didnt get to play the beta and so i cant wait because i feel cheated out the beta and i dont see how the tom savini trailer was enough to still keep you hyped it kept me hyped for i wanna say 3 days before i had rewatched the trailer i wanna say 5 times and already got past it because me thinking to myself afterwards well it's not techinically that much to be hyped for sure savini is a legend and the skin will probably rock but a silloughette aint gonna keep me at bay for a half a month i did freak out for like 3 days and also if people arent obssessing over the game 2 months after the beta then they arent obssessed with the game not latching onto something for a long period of time isnt obssessing you are saying latching onto it for a long time isnt obssessing which doesnt make sense if you are buying into hype for long periods of time even after a long time with not much info that is obsessing like the people who still buy almost anything with (let's say a classic movie from the 80s) name on it or still rewatch the movies let's say once every week that is obsessing you can't hold onto something that's just a movie or game for long periods of time without something new to it unless it teaches a important life lesson and it very well written like star wars or something and of course last time i checked most of the f13 games dont exactly have great writing and doesnt exactly teach loving life lessons i dont see how people today dont see loving something not well written and such for months as not obsessive

Obviously you aren't going to be as fascinated with this game as those of us who have been following its progress since the beginning, back when the game was still in pre-alpha and was nowhere close to having a final build. You weren't there for all the little teasers and reveals, and the first gameplay reveal at E3 last summer. And it's your own fault that you missed the Beta; you weren't "cheated" out of anything.

And there's nothing wrong with being passionate over something, even if it happens to be a slasher film series or a game based on said film series. It doesn't have to teach any sort of "valuable life lesson," it's a film or a game. It's purpose is to entertain. There's nothing wrong with enjoying those things.

• Like 3

I think things are getting a little too heated in this thread. I can see you guys are passionate about this game, but arguing back and forth isn't gonna do anything but make you angry. I understand that everyone's anxious for information, but until any comes out, it's just not productive to be mad at each other.

• Like 2