wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

I did say it was reductive, but yeah. There are a lot of costs and $2M is hardly enough to cover them. People think that $2M is a huge bounty of unlimited cash, but when you're splitting it over a dozen ways for multiple years, it's not much.

I'm not on board with your math, it assumes the companies only recieve money from this project's funding. $2 million is a shitload. An absolute shitload of cash considering the goal was $875k. I will never look at $2 million as peanuts...

Well now, I wonder what there excuse is going to be since they can't pin it on "the console certification process" is the hold up now.  :/

I honestly think they're struggling to meet even an Early 2017 release with the console certificiation post being a pre-emptive strike in regards to any possible backlash for future delays. Have the community blame the corporate giants and not the poor indy devs.

• Like 1

I've been on projects where new software has been developed, nothing as complicated as the game, but fairly significant workflow systems for a large company.

Nearing the end, when most of the hard work is done, assets in place and you're getting ready to launch the product, you're thinking "just get through the bug list"

You get a list with 40 items on it, address the most critical 17 of them and write 5 items off as a phase 2 down the road fix, or forget it and live with it.

New build comes out, 18 items left, 15 fixed, 3 left to live with. 

Next build is 14 items. What the hell? oh, Item number 5 on the previous list broke 10 new things...oops. 

Revert item 5 changes, and fix the other 13 items. 

Next build 8 new problems. Would you look at that, the fix for items 7-8-9-10 all caused some other weird functionality. Another department got back to us, fix number 17 from the first build where we changed this value here, completely borked their report because they cant handle that output. Shit. 

Guys, the point I'm trying to make is, its a messy process with a lot of moving pieces.

I'm sure they have submitted at least one version of the game for cert and probably got a shitty list of things to fix. Wes even mentioned the issue they were experiencing with the proximity chat and how Sony/Msoft don't like that. Now, whether they have fixed the original list or not is up for debate, whether a whole new batch of problems came about is up for debate. But debating whether they are even close to starting the cert process?

If I had to wager, they are probably working on Version 2 or 3 of their submission and trying to polish it up to get certified. Keep in mind, when they first announced single player, bots and Tommy Jarvis, they put a lot of new stuff into the game and probably had several situations like the one I mentioned above. Then after the beta, they did another big shake up of numbers, assets, new items and abilities. That's another round of weird bug lists coming out. So had they not done the big Jarvis/Single player update and just had us beta test back in October, then that update would have been submitted and bug fixed in November and possibly even have a build ready for certification by end of last year.  Every time new stuff is added to the game, you sort of have to reset the clock and go through the steps again.

My hope would be that they have identified and fixed all major issues and submitted a build for certification, one which will go gold soon, and all the smaller fixes, or minor adds and changes will be added as a day 0 patch.

They know people are anxious, they seem like the type of guys who are trying their best to honor what everyone that contributed to the kickstarter expects from them. They know people WANT IT NOW, they probably want it just as much, for several reasons. 

I know it sucks waiting, it sucks looking for information day after day hoping for anything new. Just chill, we should have a significant update from Pax in a few days, and hopefully the release will be right behind it. Have a little faith.

• Like 2

I'm not on board with your math, it assumes the companies only recieve money from this project's funding. $2 million is a shitload. An absolute shitload of cash considering the goal was $875k. I will never look at $2 million as peanuts...

You can do the numbers yourself, Kickstarter and Backerkit do take a large portion of every sale, as will Steam upon release.  Dividing $1.4M more than 10 ways over a span of 3 years, not even counting other expenses like travel, marketing, offices, etc. it spreads pretty thin, and you're just plainly ignoring simple mathematics if you think otherwise.  Every number I posted checks out if you'd actually take the time to calculate it out.  Just because $2M is a lot of money to you, doesn't mean it's some unfathomable heaping mound of cash that could never be spent.  You lack perspective.

You can do the numbers yourself, Kickstarter and Backerkit do take a large portion of every sale, as will Steam upon release.  Dividing $1.4M more than 10 ways over a span of 3 years, not even counting other expenses like travel, marketing, offices, etc. it spreads pretty thin, and you're just plainly ignoring simple mathematics if you think otherwise.  Every number I posted checks out if you'd actually take the time to calculate it out.  Just because $2M is a lot of money to you, doesn't mean it's some unfathomable heaping mound of cash that could never be spent.  You lack perspective.

I don't think I lack perspective, I think we both lack cold, hard facts and I'm not inclined to believe your speculation simply because you like math and have an understanding of a hypothetical equation you created. :P

I don't think I lack perspective, I think we both lack cold, hard facts and I'm not inclined to believe your speculation simply because you like math and have an understanding of a hypothetical equation you created. :P

It's not hypothetical, in the slightest.  Game's been in development almost 3 years, they have at LEAST 10 employees on the project, they've earned $2M, Kickstarter/Backerkit take roughly 30% of each sale between their fees and fulfillment of rewards.  I don't really know what part you're not believing here.

It's not hypothetical, in the slightest.  Game's been in development almost 3 years, they have at LEAST 10 employees on the project, they've earned $2M, Kickstarter/Backerkit take roughly 30% of each sale between their fees and fulfillment of rewards.  I don't really know what part you're not believing here.

It's an educated guess, which is a hypothesis- thus hypothetical. :P

It's an educated guess, which is a hypothesis- thus hypothetical. :P

It's all public information, there's no guessing involved.  They list all the staff on the Kickstarter page, and that's assuming they have hired 0 additional people for any reason, and they're STILL low on cash by that estimate.  That's the point.

I guess it's my bad for getting hyped too early, but personnally my hype is now dead (even though it was very much alive back at the original Fall 2016 release and even at the beta date). I've moved on to other games and now when I receive the code in my email I think I'll be like Oh, neat-o.. I might try it when I have the time.

I mean after a month of radio silence, a teaser for the Savini Jason is considered in the backer update as a "huge reveal". Err ok. I feel theres so much stuff they could do, maybe showcase one of the counselors' unknown abilities every week (with 10 counselors thats ten week) show us the models, go back to updating the VC like they said they would do (they called it a museum to the game's progress and it's been dead for months).

Idk at this point I'm just pretty whatever about it, it'll come out when it'll come out, but im almost 100% sure it wont be early 2017 and I wish they'd stop teasing us with that carrot

• Like 1

I'd say $2 million to develop a game of this size (based on what I know) is not a lot. I would lean towards them needing private funding, or the team working for less than what most programmers make.

If you don't think it's realistic, can you come up with a more reasonable equation for a game 2-3 years in development?

• Like 1

I guess it's my bad for getting hyped too early, but personnally my hype is now dead (even though it was very much alive back at the original Fall 2016 release and even at the beta date). I've moved on to other games and now when I receive the code in my email I think I'll be like Oh, neat-o.. I might try it when I have the time.

I mean after a month of radio silence, a teaser for the Savini Jason is considered in the backer update as a "huge reveal". Err ok. I feel theres so much stuff they could do, maybe showcase one of the counselors' unknown abilities every week (with 10 counselors thats ten week) show us the models, go back to updating the VC like they said they would do (they called it a museum to the game's progress and it's been dead for months).

Idk at this point I'm just pretty whatever about it, it'll come out when it'll come out, but im almost 100% sure it wont be early 2017 and I wish they'd stop teasing us with that carrot

Thank you! They have no excuse at this point it's ridiculous. We aren't asking for the game to be released tomorrow, were just tired of being kept in the dark. They could do everything you mentioned but instead we got a half ass teaser.

I wanna see part 9 to see if their model (unlike the outfit from the movie) doesn't look like he's made of rubber as much as he did

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is being kept in the dark. The information that was given, was when the game is gold a date will be announced. The game is not gold yet. Therefore nothing new to announce.

I don't think anyone is being kept in the dark. The information that was given, was when the game is gold a date will be announced. The game is not gold yet. Therefore nothing new to announce.

i totally agree they aren't lieing to us or anything i feel they just are waiting before they show us stuff (or don't show us because it isn't done) i just feel that if they keeping it from us temporarily to help build hype or something that the time they wait is too long

But we are we have barely been receiving any news, They're not updating the kickstarter nor virtual cabin. No screenshots from twitter etc. This game has two more months to come out before "early 2017" is over. Don't get me wrong I'm beyond hype for this game but us fans are just frustrated at this point. We were told the same thing last year then they blind sided us with a delay. The same thing could happen here.

i totally agree they aren't lieing to us or anything i feel they just are waiting before they show us stuff (or don't show us because it isn't done) i just feel that if they keeping it from us temporarily to help build hype or something that the time they wait is too long

I never implied they lied. Yes I will admit they were transparent; However their "peekaboo" marketing strategy is getting old. They keep saying "We have more in store" or "At a later date we will show this" or they ignore any valid question completely its exhausting.

If you're tired of waiting for the devs to show off something, then get out of here. They're under no obligation to do so, and you're being ungrateful. Oh you invested $30 and you deserve to know what it's going towards? Shut up. "Oh, but I invested $60, and--" Shut up. "I donated blood so that I could back the game--" No one cares. You should have put more consideration into the fact that a crowd-funded, indie project wouldn't move at the same pace as a big AAA game. I don't think many of you understand nor appreciate that.

It's funny how when a new movie is revealed, everyone is like "DON'T SPOIL ANYTHING" and when a new game is revealed, everyone is like "TELL US EVERYTHING." So what, it costs more to buy a game, no one asked you to throw your life savings into it. That's your choice.

You're lucky to have the devs show off as much as they have. Sure, now it's not enough because they're close to release. But how many games show off crucial features so close to launch? When do developers answer every question thrown at them? Stop acting so entitled and deal with the fact that your life doesn't revolve around this game. The devs haven't answered your question; the earth isn't going to stop moving. We're all excited for it, but it's just a game. They'll release it when it's ready, and then all of your questions will be answered.

For the record, the virtual cabin isn't being updated because they're focusing on the actual game for console certification (supposedly). Everyone on the team is focused on that, and working on the VC will just take away from that. What do you want completed first: the actual full-release game, or a little virtual museum?

Yeah, that's a great idea; let's spoil the Counselor's abilities before the game's launch so that they're nothing new for players to learn on their own. Because they just want to know everything about the game beforehand.

And yes, "Early 2017" is enough to trigger anyone on the forums. News flash: the devs can't give us a firm date until they've passed console certification. Until they announce that they've either passed or failed it, we're stuck with "Early 2017." If you've got a problem with that, take it up with Microsoft and Sony.

• Like 2

You're right, we aren't entitled to anything, but is it a reason to give absolutely no criticism. I know the game is gonna be amazing, I just have trouble with the marketing.

Back in Fall 2016, the team was being extremely honest about not including single player and having the game out Fall 2016 for sure and everyone was praising their "transparency". Then they blindsided us with a delay.

And if the late 2016 beta is any indication, there was absolutely no chance whatsoever that this game was ever gonna be complete in Fall 2016, so that raises the question : How honest had the team actually been until the delay?

Now the same thing is happening with "Early 2017", which is a big, non-commital release window, and its looking more and more like they won't be able to respect it.

They can do what they want with their game, as you said we're not entitled to anything even if we supported the game, but I think drawing out this suspense is doing more to kill hype than generate it.

If the game isn't ready, they could just tell us and then we'd move on and get hyped closer to release, but this constant irrealistic teasing is, in my opinion, causing more resentment than excitement.

• Like 1

If you're tired of waiting for the devs to show off something, then get out of here. They're under no obligation to do so, and you're being ungrateful. Oh you invested $30 and you deserve to know what it's going towards? Shut up. "Oh, but I invested $60, and--" Shut up. "I donated blood so that I could back the game--" No one cares. You should have put more consideration into the fact that a crowd-funded, indie project wouldn't move at the same pace as a big AAA game. I don't think many of you understand nor appreciate that.

It's funny how when a new movie is revealed, everyone is like "DON'T SPOIL ANYTHING" and when a new game is revealed, everyone is like "TELL US EVERYTHING." So what, it costs more to buy a game, no one asked you to throw your life savings into it. That's your choice.

You're lucky to have the devs show off as much as they have. Sure, now it's not enough because they're close to release. But how many games show off crucial features so close to launch? When do developers answer every question thrown at them? Stop acting so entitled and deal with the fact that your life doesn't revolve around this game. The devs haven't answered your question; the earth isn't going to stop moving. We're all excited for it, but it's just a game. They'll release it when it's ready, and then all of your questions will be answered.

For the record, the virtual cabin isn't being updated because they're focusing on the actual game for console certification (supposedly). Everyone on the team is focused on that, and working on the VC will just take away from that. What do you want completed first: the actual full-release game, or a little virtual museum?

Yeah, that's a great idea; let's spoil the Counselor's abilities before the game's launch so that they're nothing new for players to learn on their own. Because they just want to know everything about the game beforehand.

And yes, "Early 2017" is enough to trigger anyone on the forums. News flash: the devs can't give us a firm date until they've passed console certification. Until they announce that they've either passed or failed it, we're stuck with "Early 2017." If you've got a problem with that, take it up with Microsoft and Sony.

Forgive me if I don't answer every question in that novel you decided to write.Ungrateful? Shouldnt it be the other way around if anything. You act as the though the devs housed and clothed us lol.Without us the game in question wouldn't even exist I'm entitled. Entitled to a product I paid for a year and a half ago. Which was meant to be released months ago.I understand the fact their a small team, I'm not asking for the game to be released tomorrow I'm asking for what was promised transparency.

Your comparison of people complaining about "spoiling a movie"is completely off. People don't pay for the production of a movie production. Moreover the "early 2017" bit is getting old because 2017 ends in two months.

• Like 1

You're right, we aren't entitled to anything, but is it a reason to give absolutely no criticism. I know the game is gonna be amazing, I just have trouble with the marketing.

Back in Fall 2016, the team was being extremely honest about not including single player and having the game out Fall 2016 for sure and everyone was praising their "transparency". Then they blindsided us with a delay.

And if the late 2016 beta is any indication, there was absolutely no chance whatsoever that this game was ever gonna be complete in Fall 2016, so that raises the question : How honest had the team actually been until the delay?

Now the same thing is happening with "Early 2017", which is a big, non-commital release window, and its looking more and more like they won't be able to respect it.

They can do what they want with their game, as you said we're not entitled to anything even if we supported the game, but I think drawing out this suspense is doing more to kill hype than generate it.

If the game isn't ready, they could just tell us and then we'd move on and get hyped closer to release, but this constant irrealistic teasing is, in my opinion, causing more resentment than excitement.

Exactly. You made valid points but I have to disagree with you on one part we are entitled to this product. People spent money for the development of this game. Us the fans are responsible for its existence.

• Like 1

It's 2 months, people. TWO MONTHS. If they miss that window, then complain all you want. Until then, all you're doing is speculating.

Not the point. History has a tendency of repeating itself. The same exact thing happened last year then SURPRISE a delay.

Not the point. History has a tendency of repeating itself. The same exact thing happened last year then SURPRISE a delay.

True! I mean BlackWidow made a fair point I think, but at the same time, in Fall 2016 anytime people worried about a possible delay, people would say the same thing : Don't whine until there actually is one!

Well there was one and true, we got Tommy for it, but like I said before, I think Tommy or no Tommy, based on the beta and the amount of content that was still unfinished in late 2016, there was gonna be a delay regardless.

• Like 2