wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

I'll admit, I took early to mean end of March at the latest. I certainly think that's what it conveys.

However, they've been awesome to us and I'm sure they'll get it out as soon as they can. I'm not upset with them. Still glad I pre-ordered. Still looking forward to playing when it comes out.

• Like 3

I'll admit, I took early to mean end of March at the latest. I certainly think that's what it conveys.

However, they've been awesome to us and I'm sure they'll get it out as soon as they can. I'm not upset with them. Still glad I pre-ordered. Still looking forward to playing when it comes out.

I figured end of April. I always kinda figured it "might" be in thirds (early, middle, end) but where those lines were drawn I was unsure, so I assumed about April, giving 4 months per segment. 

There's always the chance it could get delayed again. ~ducks~

It would suck, but it does happen in game development from time to time. On the bright side to that, if it does, we at least got to see it in action and know it's not vaporware. :)

I had a feeling too it would be march. But at this rate it seems we will be getting it April which isn't too bad.I'm sure we will get a release date at pax east otherwise I honestly think the game will get delayed again

I feel like the game is going to release in April too. Which isn't too bad. We will probably get a release date or more game vids/info at Pax east if not we could possibly be facing another delaym

I figured end of April. I always kinda figured it "might" be in thirds (early, middle, end) but where those lines were drawn I was unsure, so I assumed about April, giving 4 months per segment. 

There's always the chance it could get delayed again. ~ducks~

It would suck, but it does happen in game development from time to time. On the bright side to that, if it does, we at least got to see it in action and know it's not vaporware. :)

I figure it's going to be april as well.

Then again, i don't see how they'd get ahead by releasing it in march anyways. Zelda alone will take literally all hype. You might claim that the fanbases are fundamentally different, but the fact of the matter is that brand recognition gets a long way, and there are few if any names bigger than zelda in this day and age regarding videogames. That's not to say it won't sell at all, but it's optimistic at best to say that they'll take a heavy hit in potential customers when trying to go up against a titan like that. Which they will. Not by direct comparison, but let's just say that there are people out there willing to buy an entire console for that single game.

And while i like the friday the 13th franchise, it ain't a console seller.

I know this is silly but there is a date on a calendar in March in the Virtual Cabin. Says buy new chainsaw lol. Think it was for the 15th. I know it's not the release date and a chainsaw has nothing to do with Jason, but maybe they have some announcements to make? Wishful thinking ????

I know this is silly but there is a date on a calendar in March in the Virtual Cabin. Says buy new chainsaw lol. Think it was for the 15th. I know it's not the release date and a chainsaw has nothing to do with Jason, but maybe they have some announcements to make? Wishful thinking ????

Pam did use one on jason in part 5

On Roy? And I remember from part 2 Ginny uses it briefly. But Jason never picks one up.

On Roy? And I remember from part 2 Ginny uses it briefly. But Jason never picks one up.

. But it doesn't matter if Jason used it it's a cool weapon so why not

At this point I don't care about maps, or even minor bugs, even the single-player though I thought when I first preordered it would be a Tommy Jarvis 5 hour campaign, which would've been fine in all honesty. 

Either way, I check this site most days because just talking about it keeps me hyped, in the mean time I have Dead by Daylight, Dark Souls 3 and For Honor, should keep me occupied until then.

You said everything with

"We’re the little guys, so we’re treated a little differently."

Keep the good work guys! Don't you feel that u need to do this quick, just do your best, it's better if the game takes a little longer and be THE Friday 13 game than it release soon with a lot of bugs

according to this they havent even tried the game for certification.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/posts/1816084

I just dont get it what are these guys doing their millions of $$$$$ over the backer and we get a outline of tom jason and no real news. They need to look into hiring people to speed up the process. also with this kinda of cash their pulling in i hope we see a map pack of 3-4 bonus maps from these guys at least!  30-40 people working on a game and having this kind of problems with getting this small of a game/well im going to say demo with only 3 maps released within a good time frame is just odd.

the only thing i can think of is they started working on the game late and was way behind in fall 2016 i mean way behind.

• Like 3

according to this they havent even tried the game for certification.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/posts/1816084

I just dont get it what are these guys doing their millions of $$$$$ over the backer and we get a outline of tom jason and no real news. They need to look into hiring people to speed up the process. also with this kinda of cash their pulling in i hope we see a map pack of 3-4 bonus maps from these guys at least!  30-40 people working on a game and having this kind of problems with getting this small of a game/well im going to say demo with only 3 maps released within a good time frame is just odd.

the only thing i can think of is they started working on the game late and was way behind in fall 2016 i mean way behind.

Wow, good eye- that's disappointing.

I'd been asking what "pre-cert" means- whether it meant the submission process had begun or if it was literal and everything previous to being certified is technically "pre-cert." They should get someone else to handle their social media accounts, someone able to give straight answers, less snark and reasons- not excuses. I read people saying that no game is this "transparent" but if this is a level of transparency I'm supposed to be grateful for- I'll pass.

I also think they should have expanded their team, it's a common reply that they have a small team but with over $2 million altogether now I think some of that should have been invested in expanding their team- even if only on a temporary basis.

I took some flack for implying the game was nowhere near complete previous to the single player announcement. I'm confident now I was correct. I wish they would've just said that.

• Like 2

Wow, good eye- that's disappointing.

I'd been asking what "pre-cert" means- whether it meant the submission process had begun or if it was literal and everything previous to being certified is technically "pre-cert." They should get someone else to handle their social media accounts, someone able to give straight answers, less snark and reasons- not excuses. I read people saying that no game is this "transparent" but if this is a level of transparency I'm supposed to be grateful for- I'll pass.

I also think they should have expanded their team, it's a common reply that they have a small team but with over $2 million altogether now I think some of that should have been invested in expanding their team- even if only on a temporary basis.

I took some flack for implying the game was nowhere near complete previous to the single player announcement. I'm confident now I was correct. I wish they would've just said that.

I agree a lot with this. They do need to be more clear about certain things.

The game was nearly done in December aside from a pile of hilariously fun glitches, but they also used feedback from the beta to implement some awesome changes that will certainly improve the game.  I don't see how you can watch their PAX panel and think they've been doing nothing for 2 months.

And uh, they definitely don't have 30-40 people working on this.  More like 10-20.  Like I alluded to in my previous post, 30% of funds right off the top earned go to Kickstarter/Backerkit and production of physical rewards.

Let's do a little math. (Yay math! :D)

Earnings: $2,015,207.70

Earnings after Kickstarter/Backerkit/Physical Rewards costs: ~$1,410,645.39

Let's be generous and assume they only have had an average of 10 employees that would like paychecks and have been working on the game for almost 3 years.

That's $47,021.51 per employee annually, which is actually fairly low pay for a game developer.  Of course, this is an incredibly reductive way of looking at it, and there are a lot of other financial factors at play here.  You can see how quickly $2M is spent in game development, though.

Plus, that update doesn't definitively mean they haven't sent a single build to cert.  It's possible they had a release candidate, sent it in to cert, and received back a bunch of critical bugs that needed to be fixed ASAP.  Until they start giving us daily updates on their communications with Microsoft and Sony (which is hilariously unlikely), just trust that they're working as hard as they can to get the game done.  Any game developer can tell you that in the last few months of development, they want the game to be released more than you do.  The final stretch is monumentally stressful, and it certainly doesn't help to have hordes of people cursing them out on a daily basis and demanding progress reports.

• Like 1

according to this they havent even tried the game for certification. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game/posts/1816084

I just dont get it what are these guys doing their millions of $$$$$ over the backer and we get a outline of tom jason and no real news. They need to look into hiring people to speed up the process. also with this kinda of cash their pulling in i hope we see a map pack of 3-4 bonus maps from these guys at least! 30-40 people working on a game and having this kind of problems with getting this small of a game/well im going to say demo with only 3 maps released within a good time frame is just odd.

Exactly this was the most pathetic update ever they just rehashed the same news we already knew!They could have given us a little something. Honestly I think they failed console cert so now they need to it again. They have been saying they were pre-cert since mid- to late January.

The game was nearly done in December aside from a pile of hilariously fun glitches, but they also used feedback from the beta to implement some awesome changes that will certainly improve the game.  I don't see how you can watch their PAX panel and think they've been doing nothing for 2 months.

And uh, they definitely don't have 30-40 people working on this.  More like 10-20.  Like I alluded to in my previous post, 30% of funds right off the top earned go to Kickstarter/Backerkit and production of physical rewards.

Let's do a little math. (Yay math! :D)

Earnings: $2,015,207.70

Earnings after Kickstarter/Backerkit/Physical Rewards costs: ~$1,410,645.39

Let's be generous and assume they only have had an average of 10 employees that would like paychecks and have been working on the game for almost 3 years.

That's $47,021.51 per employee annually, which is actually fairly low pay for a game developer.  Of course, this is an incredibly reductive way of looking at it, and there are a lot of other financial factors at play here.  You can see how quickly $2M is spent in game development, though.

Plus, that update doesn't definitively mean they haven't sent a single build to cert.  It's possible they had a release candidate, sent it in to cert, and received back a bunch of critical bugs that needed to be fixed ASAP.  Until they start giving us daily updates on their communications with Microsoft and Sony (which is hilariously unlikely), just trust that they're working as hard as they can to get the game done.  Any game developer can tell you that in the last few months of development, they want the game to be released more than you do.  The final stretch is monumentally stressful, and it certainly doesn't help to have hordes of people cursing them out on a daily basis and demanding progress reports.

You left off the cost of any engine/asset licensing fees, which can be pricey at times.

• Like 1

I did say it was reductive, but yeah. There are a lot of costs and $2M is hardly enough to cover them. People think that $2M is a huge bounty of unlimited cash, but when you're splitting it over a dozen ways for multiple years, it's not much.

• Like 1

I did say it was reductive, but yeah. There are a lot of costs and $2M is hardly enough to cover them. People think that $2M is a huge bounty of unlimited cash, but when you're splitting it over a dozen ways for multiple years, it's not much.

Adding to that list of yours, a fun little read for anyone interested is a collection of what some game development budgets entailed. Often times with Kickstarter endevours the devs still have to acquire additional funding from outside as, well, Kickstarter is usually just that, a kickstarter. 

The List

Game development isn't cheap, and there have been more than a few Kickstarter attempts that came up a bit short even while reaching their goal.

• Like 1

Sure. Because our VOIP system by-passes the consoles built in voice. Basically we turn off XB and PS4 voice and force the console to use ours. That's an instant cert failure. 

Well I am sure you will get it to pass, the game Hawken did something similar on the ps4 where it would force players in to a partychat if they joined a ingame party