wes

Why No Release Date Yet?

I said nothing about them being secretive about the release date, I mentioned final content. ????

https://twitter.com/Rontao13/status/832503957784236032

Well, at least we know that they are currently in the process of certification. Now all we need to play the waiting game, wondering what Ronnie means when he says "soon".

Take anything from Twitter with a grain of salt, they're much more pre-occupied with attempts at being clever than providing clarification or details these days.

• Like 1

Take anything from Twitter with a grain of salt, they're much more pre-occupied with attempts at being clever than providing clarification or details these days.

Pretty much. Someone recently said they were in pre-certification (May have been Jpop, not sure. I'll try to find it and add it later), so that could be what he meant as well, which I believe means they're still tweaking for the cert submission. Time will tell anywho.

Certification is a non-stop back and forth process with literally hundreds of hours of QA each time a build is submitted.

Microsoft cert is especially tough.  Larger developers/publishers can effectively brute force this by focusing hundreds of devs on it in order to submit daily builds fixing every issue found in every wave of cert.

Indie devs have to just work their asses off and hope the next build has no glaring oversights, but in the world of software development, sometimes you fix one bug and create seven.

TL;DR: It's a much more complicated process than anyone seems to realize.  There's a ton of hoops to jump through.

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates. I check this message board every couple of months and usually see something interesting each time.

I'm hoping for anow XB1 beta sometime this Spring. **fingers crossed**

Certification is a non-stop back and forth process with literally hundreds of hours of QA each time a build is submitted.

Microsoft cert is especially tough.  Larger developers/publishers can effectively brute force this by focusing hundreds of devs on it in order to submit daily builds fixing every issue found in every wave of cert.

Indie devs have to just work their asses off and hope the next build has no glaring oversights, but in the world of software development, sometimes you fix one bug and create seven.

TL;DR: It's a much more complicated process than anyone seems to realize.  There's a ton of hoops to jump through.

I also theorize that each time they submit and the cert process hits a snag that Gun needs to change, they need to fix it and resubmit. It's not like they can take each problem Microsoft or Sony points out, turn it over in an hour and try again. I suggest people keep patient with it. We will get it. They are trying to be as open about it as they can without setting unrealistic expectations, which is what this post was all about in the first place.

• Like 2

I also theorize that each time they submit and the cert process hits a snag that Gun needs to change, they need to fix it and resubmit. It's not like they can take each problem Microsoft or Sony points out, turn it over in an hour and try again. I suggest people keep patient with it. We will get it. They are trying to be as open about it as they can without setting unrealistic expectations, which is what this post was all about in the first place.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to coding and game development in general. It will likely never happen, but something that I would personally love to see is an update from Gun on each step of the process that shows a summery of what they have to do to ready the game for the cert process to both Microsoft and Sony, a report on the day of the submission, and any issues that crop up should that be rejected, explaining what it is they have to do to correct the issues and then repeat that until the game is approved.

That's not me rushing the game mind you, it's really more of a curiosity I have about how additional parts of the game industry work. I would really like to see that relayed as it happens to gain some new insight. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen because they'd probably get beaten over the head by some of the more hostile elements of the community for something outside of their control. And that is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 2

Yes, but i mean a better rough estimate by us forum users.

lol well my theory is March, but if you look at it in quarters, the first 3 months should be considered 'Early'

Overall though the definition of 'Early' could be April or something

lol well my theory is March, but if you look at it in quarters, the first 3 months should be considered 'Early'

Overall though the definition of 'Early' could be April or something

Ok. I'll play: April 18th.

Minor correction on the date. Had my calendar wrong. Aimed for Tuesday and hit Friday.

• Like 1

its actually in thirds early, middle and end. So going by that Jan-April is "early 2017" should be out by 30th of april otherwise its then mid 2017

Current feeling is April. We'll see.

Ben's been unwell lately (probably from being fired so many times, get well soon, Ben) so the Twitter activity has been less active in the past couple weeks or so due to that.

• Like 2

Early could realistically be extended all the way to the 182nd day of the year, as it's in the first half of the year, and therefore closer to the beginning than the end, hence "early"

Yearly is jan-April they have stated thats the time frame

Not to doubt you, but do you have a source or link for where you got this information?

Not to doubt you, but do you have a source or link for where you got this information?

Go back a few pages in the thread, it's never stated outright but implied heavily (through insult) by a dev.

Go back a few pages in the thread, it's never stated outright but implied heavily (through insult) by a dev.

Gotcha covered bears. Link and quote.

Well I think you are taking that tweet out of context. That comment was made in regards to what exactly early 2017 encompasses. A good chunk of people are viewing early 2017 as quarters. The year is broken up in sections. Early, Middle and Late. Meaning Early = January-April Middle = May-August Late = Sept-Dec.

Quarters are Q1 = Jan-March Q2 = April-June Q3 = July-Sept Q4 = Oct-Dec.

As you can see it alters time frames. And people will argue that Early is Jan-March.

Using bugs as a timetable for completion is not a valid gauge. When you start adding things such as features and content sometimes the new code breaks old code and creates bugs. This happens sometimes when patches are applied. Also a reason for a lot of the bugs was an issue when your ping reached a rather high point. That issue is being addressed and that is the purpose of a beta. Things like that can not be seen in internal play test as its primarily localized.

The post here explains why the date is not announced yet and as Wes has said as soon as the game is gold the date will be announced. No one is giving concrete dates because it is not ideal to keep giving dates which ultimately casts doubt. When the game goes gold it's ready to go and the date you get will be a sure thing so I think you can agree a date that can be delivered on is much preferable to some random date to just keep people quiet.

• Like 1

Thank you i was just going to tell him read the thread

Knew where it was so figured I'd save the time since it was under one of my old posts.

Btw Freddy, get in on the speculation to release date action. Might as well make a lil game of it. What's your pick? Winner gets to brain, mame, skewer, burn, crush, smash, slice, dice, kick, stomp, punch, gouge, impale, or choke out all the losers with Jason. :P

okay so if any of you would put money down on what the release date would be, what would you say

April, mid to late.

Anytime sooner and I'll be surprised, anytime later and there will probably be a riot somewhere.

Edit:

To be oddly specific for the sake of guessing- April 18th.

• Like 1