Sign in to follow this  
VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

My Penultimate Suggestion Thread

I've made a few threads here and there with a mish-mash of different ideas, but let's forget about those. I will consolidate all my current ideas into this thread. Any new ideas I have I'll add to this thread.

So let's get right into it. I played the beta and I've analyzed my play time and more people's videos. Here we go.

-----------------

GRAPHICS AND VISUALS

I saw that Part 2 Jason has hair modeled UNDERNEATH his burlap sack. This is a problem because the burlap sack and the hair clip through each other. The easy fix is to have the hair NOT RENDER when the burlap sack is on his head. This is the way Skyrim handles its hats and helmets. When a hat or helmet is put on, most or all of the hair is disabled/disappears underneath that headgear. The moment the sack comes off, the hair renders or becomes active again.

Part 2 Jason has faded or light blue coveralls and a similar color light blue plaid shirt underneath. These need to be a darker color to better match the film. I don't think it would impact the gameplay in any way, like it would make him harder to see or whatever because most Jasons have a dark color palette anyway.

Each Jason has the same build(Kane Hodder's build, albeit with slightly exaggerated shoulders). Personally I'd rather they have different builds, like Part 2 be slim and Part 6 be built but not Jacked like Kane, but if not then I'll live with it.

COUNSELORS

Stamina:

The state of stamina in the beta was that the players had to make frequent stops to get their stamina back. This was mitigated after a few days when stamina was buffed across the board(and Vanessa and Tommy got a slight nerf). The problem still remained though, as even with jogging and pacing yourself, non-athletic characters had to stop often. I felt like had to eschew jogging in favor of slooooowwwly sneaking through the woods in between cabins to avoid being found by Jason while at low stamina.

Many people have said it and I'll say it again: Jogging should use very little stamina. To counter this, make SPRINTING use more stamina. I'll ad another layer to this and say that while Jason is near enough to frighten the counselor, and/or the counselor is frightened because of other events, their stamina regen gets a debuff and jogging and sprinting cost a few percent more stamina. Once they regain composure, they can jog with low stamina use again.

Speed:

I now think speed is not as big of an issue compared to stamina. It was really the running out of stamina so often that I felt was the problem.

Melee Combat:

Now yes of course the counselors are not martial artists, but I feel like the wind-up time for a hit is too slow. If Jason and a counselor press the attack button at the same time, Jason will get the hit in way before the counselor. I'm fine with this, but I don't think the gap should be quite as large as it is right now. An idea that comes to mind is something like an "adrenaline rush," that the fear level of a counselor, or when they are injured, their attack speed increases(would be still slightly slower than Jason but not at this huge gap right now). When they are fresh they'd be slow to attack. Either approach I think would be great.

And blocking should cancel Jason's grab. So few people bothered with melee, and many just gave up when Jason got close, because they knew Jason could grab instead of swing and they couldn't do anything about it. Heck, even if you ignore the first part about making counselor attack speed faster, just letting us block Jason's grab alone would actually make combat viable. I think blocking a thrown dart or knife should either not work at all, or be so hard to do that it's better to run when you see him get ready to throw, but still be possible.

Hiding:

I don't know if there is some kind of timer or what with outdoor hiding spots like tents and outhouses, but in my experience Jason could see anyone hiding in those spots because they showed up on Jason's sense. Compared to hiding somewhere in a cabin, those areas seemed useless to me. Something needs to change, like if it's tents or outhouses in a group, make ALL the tents or outhouses show up red to possibly dupe Jason, or make them not show up red at all for 30-60 seconds, but still show sound blips when the counselor runs out of breath, or they freak out when they see Jason outside of the tent or outhouse.

JASON

Speed:

Looking at the scene in Part 3 when Jason chased Chris Higgins from the bridge to the barn, he appeared to be a bit faster than the current Part 3 and 2 Jason. In The Final Chapter when Jason is chasing Tommy's sister Trish, he seemed pretty darn fast. I think just increase the run speed for human Jasons by about 5-10%. It would help with the fear factor to see those Jasons coming at you a bit faster than he is right now.

In the recent video showing Part 6 Jason, to me it at least didn't appear as if his "brisk-walk" was faster than Part 7 Jason's. I would like if this was increased by a small amount, perhaps 3-5%. If I'm wrong and it actually is faster than Part 7's brisk-walk, then I'll shut up.

Fear/Chase Music Radius:

On the faster Jasons the radius should be bigger than on Undead Jasons. I think the radius as it is right now from the Beta is great for human Jason. I think the slower, undead Jasons need a smaller music radius to help get the jump on counselors. If it can be tied to line of sight, like no music unless Jason appears on the screen(like if you're waiting around the corner as a counselor gets near) I would love that.

Maybe play with the idea of the CLOSER Jason gets to a counselor that has recently seen Jason(like in a chase), the FURTHER the music radius gets so it might catch an nearby unwary counselor and spike their fear too. Not sure how I feel about this one but it sounds cool in concept.

I had an idea to make the radius smaller on the sides and back of Jason, and make it further directly in front of Jason(think of the guards in Metal Gear Solid series and their "line of sight cones"). I think this could add another layer to the gameplay from both Jason and the counselor side. If a counselor sees Jason walking AWAY from them, they'd have a little bit less reason to gasp, scream, and freak out. They still would, but not as often as they do currently. Then, when Jason FACES the counselor, it has further range and perhaps a stronger effect. "Oh crap he's looking right at me!" Just an idea, maybe it can be done, maybe it could work.

I think another layer of the music should be added, and that would be SUSPENSE music. When Jason is nearby, but hasn't attacked, targeted, or chased you specifically,  or you haven seen him do that to someone else, or hasn't been seen yet, the music would get "subtly creepy" but not "alarmingly scary." It would be slow-building and put you on edge, and you shouldn't be able to pin-point where it is coming from. Jason's normal music from the beta gets louder as he gets nearer and you can pinpoint where his is using this if you have headphones or surround sound.

Weapon Strength:

I once had a thought that Part 7 Jason should have stronger weapon strength than Part 3 Jason, but now I don't really have a problem with that. I think I know what Gun Media was going for; All the Jasons are all the same strength for gameplay purposes, and Part 3's axe has more mass than a machete, so it does more damage. Ok, that's fine, I can understand that. Maybe when all the extra stuff is added to the game then Part 7 won't seem so underpowered in the damage department.

That being said, mayyybe if "long bladed" weapons like knives and machetes(you know, lighter weapons with a long, cutting, or slicing edge as opposed to heavy weapons with a splitting edge like an axe or no edge like a hammer) had something special to them, like bleeding damage, that could offer something interesting. Maybe a counselor would lose an amount of HP over time(like 10-30seconds) after the cut was made, maybe that could be an interesting element to add. If this is added, first aid kids or gauze could be added specifically to stop bleeding(disinfectant spray shouldn't really do that lol), or they can just keep first aid spray to cure that too.

Combat & Car Resistance:

I don't know if Jason has a dodge move, but I think he should have it. In Part 3, the human Jason dodged out of the way of Chris coming at him in the van. I think Jason should be able to lock-onto the car by entering Combat Mode with C, then use the dodge maneuver to move out of the way. Doing this JUST RIGHT, like RIGHT BEFORE the car would have hit Jason would make the driver lose control, but NOT force them to crash. If they are a good driver they COULD regain control if they happen not to hit something to make them crash.

Now, even if Jason does not get a dodge move like that, I think if Jason is hit by the car, if Rage Mode is NOT active, Jason is knocked down and the car is stalled and forced to re-start. If Rage Mode IS active, Jason would tank the car as he does in the Beta.

Shift:

I think SHIFT should not be blocked by small objects outside of houses like short fences, small or medium rocks, and tree stumps. I think the Shift camera should fly over these objects. It would give it that kind of "Evil Dead" POV feel. Maybe even give it a similar sound effect(to me it always sounded like a guy saying "eeeuuuueeeeaaaauuuuaaeeeeee" in a wind tunnel haha). Jason is sort of a deadite(in one continuity at least). Might be a nice Easter egg for Evil Dead fans.

A new idea that came to me is Shift could be used to appear in high places like on top of houses, and if there's something like a balcony, Jason could shift onto that and skip to the second floor. Shift is fine without this but it could be a neat idea. It would be cool to shift onto the roof of the bridge on the Higgins Haven map and catch someone crossing it.

Morph:

Morph SHOULD NOT have that "poof" or "BAMF" sound effect like Nightcrawler from X-Men. He should just simply be "gone" when he morphs away and the music will just fade out. There is already a "vhs screen warp" effect and that is plenty.

Death By Window:

If Jason throws a counselor through an open window, they die. I think it should be if Jason throws someone through a CLOSED, BROKEN, or SECOND STORY window, the counselor should die, but if Jason throws a counselor throw an OPEN, FIRST-STORY window, they should not die but be damaged to the point that they are slowly limping.

NEW THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Hiding:

I think Jason should be able to hide in those small rooms like bedrooms and closets or water-closets/bathrooms that have only one door in and out. Can Jason close doors? I know he can open them but it never occurred to me to see if he can close them haha. Being inside these rooms should turn off the "Jason music" until a counselor sees him or enters the room. This would help give another reason to "peek" before you enter. A cabin is usually very open with only one bathroom and/or one closet, so naturally big houses like Higgin's Haven would have more rooms to do this in. This ability to hide would only work if a counselor did NOT see Jason enter that room. If they saw him go in the room, the music would not turn off, at least until that counselor left the area by a long distance.

EDIT: Major idea change/update. Ok, it occurred to me that because the cabins are randomly generated, that there can be interiors that have multiple doors and few or no windows. If you take my hiding idea and expand it to turn off the music while inside a cabin or interior of some kind, it could work. When Jason is inside a cabin or inside a room inside a cabin or house that also has a door within it, the music would turn off while the doors are closed UNTIL either the door or wall between these spaces is open or destroyed or counselors and Jason enter the same "cell space," either by them entering Jason's room or Jason entering the part of the interior that they are currently in. If Jason is chopping down a door or wall before he has rage then obviously the music would come back right then. This of course would not work if any doors or walls are open or destroyed. BUT an interior wall could be destroyed and the music would turn off if the doors to the outside were closed.

Like the "living" portions of a cabin that are in plain view from the outside, Jason's music would remain if he is in that space, but if there is a back-part of the cabin with one or a few doors that close it off from the rest, as long as those doors are closed while Jason's inside them the music will be off. If Jason enters a cabin with a counselor in it and CLOSES the door behind him if it happens to be unlocked, and the counselor is in section B while Jason is in section A with a door between them, they wouldn't hear the music but they'd hear Jason's heavy footsteps in the next area. Jason enters section B and uh-oh, SCARY MUSIC!

But just a thought, if a counselor is hiding under a bed or in a closet that's in one of those kinds of rooms or spaces, and Jason leaves and closes the door behind him, the music would turn off sooner or immediately. This might dupe someone into exposing themselves and then BAM, Kool-Aid man comes back to say hi.

Breaking, Entering, and Re-Entering:

I think Jason should be able to un-bar and un-lock doors from the inside of a house or room. Might as well let him bar and lock doors right? I don't see why not, he has hands. It might add a layer to "herding" counselors to where he wants them to go, or slowing down a counselor just enough by making them unlock a door to escape, or forcing them to jump out of a closed or broken window. I know Jason has Rage to break down doors, but in the Beta if you get into a cabin BEFORE you have Rage, and a counselor escapes out of a window and there is a barred door RIGHT THERE, you had to go all the way back to the other door to get out or break that door down from the inside to chase after them. To me that seemed unintentionally dumb.

I made a thread before about grabbing through windows like Jason did in Part 6, and I would like to see that added, but the range would be that Jason could only grab someone that is RIGHT NEXT to the window, like touching the wall or window from the other side. Jumping through windows gives them some distance from the window, if I recall correctly. There were times when another player would camp next to the window while I was breaking the door down to climb out as I came in. I would like to deter that behavior!

Weapon Switching:

Jason was locked to only one weapon in the Beta. I would like to be able to switch weapons, because I really hope that PAX trailer's abundance of kills weren't mostly "environmental" kills(like Jason picks up a pitchfork laying in the barn for only that one kill and immediately puts it back down, or he finds a random spear nearby and uses it only once and drops it). Ideally I would like Jason to be able to pick up weapons laying around the map, but if we can't get that then I would at least like the ability to switch weapons for Jason in the menu like you can switch his grab kills, and leveling up would unlock new starting weapons at the cost of Counselor Points like everything else does.

Unarmed Jason:

IF, that is, IF we can switch weapons MID-MATCH from weapons we find laying around, then Jason should/could be able to be played unarmed or be disarmed(disarming Jason would be very difficult though). Now IF this happens then there are two ways to go about this:

1. Jason can punch as well as grab. Punches do less damage and grabbing cannot be blocked and his harder to break from since he's using two hands.

2. Jason can ONLY grab, and grabbing cannot be blocked and is harder to break from.

Power-Attack:

I would like to see a stronger power-attack from Jason that can kill in one hit(two hits if it's a small weapon like a knife, if Jason even uses that) that's done by holding down the attack button instead of tapping it. The body would go flying like Kelly Rowland in Freddy vs Jason. Jason can ONLY power attack WHILE IN RAGE, and it is a spectacular one-hit kill that you'd want to screen capture.

Ranged Combat:

I would really love if flares could be fired like a gun. They could still be used as an item in the slots, but say if it is in slot 1, you HOLD 1 and press RMB to AIM the flare at Jason(or perhaps gas cans??) to set him on fire and/or stun him for massive damage. Pressing 1 once will make the flare be fired up like normal.

ALTERNATIVELY, instead it could be set up as you swap the Flare gun from the item slot to your right hand(your currently held weapon would be dropped) by doing something like "hold item slot number and Z" or whatever button combo would work to switch it to a held weapon. In either case it would mark Jason on the map when used.

Drop/Let Go of Counselors:

As Jason I would like the ability to drop or let go of a counselor that I'm holding(hold Z and press Right Mouse Button) just in case I need to re-prioritize a more valuable target, such as if someone is about to escape and I want to get over to them more quickly than finishing a kill would allow me to. You might say that it's not like Jason to do this, but he did it in Jason Lives when he dropped Megan to go after Tommy, so there's a precedent for it in the films.

Grab Kills or Grabbing THROUGH WALLS and/or DOORs:

You know those destructible walls inside cabins? It would be sweet if Jason could grab and kill, or at least grab, counselors standing or crouching immediately on the other side of them(like almost touching the wall). Remember part 7 when Jason killed the nerdy girl by bursting through the wall and getting her with the sickle? Just like that. Even if this would be rare to do, it would be a much appreciated addition. If this could be done through doors as well that would be even better.

-----------------

Those are all the thoughts I can come up with right now. Now, know that I do love the game as it is right now, I just think it could use more polish and a few new features. Maybe not all of my ideas are great, maybe I'm wrong, I just thought some of these could work. If you agree and like any of the ideas I propose, be sure to like this post and whether you agree or disagree, post and share your thoughts and opinions.

EDIT: You know, I just learned that "penultimate" means SECOND to last. Ehhh I guess I'll make a post-launch suggestion thread?

• Like 2

Cool ideas. Not sure what I think about the Jason hiding thing though. While you are hiding the other counselors are running around getting car parts and calling the cops. You may get lucky and have a counselor stumble upon you but, I feel like for the players there is more tension in knowing he's running around looking for all of you. But also I can see someone being very tense with going into a cabin knowing Jason could be hiding in there.

Cool ideas. Not sure what I think about the Jason hiding thing though. While you are hiding the other counselors are running around getting car parts and calling the cops. You may get lucky and have a counselor stumble upon you but, I feel like for the players there is more tension in knowing he's running around looking for all of you. But also I can see someone being very tense with going into a cabin knowing Jason could be hiding in there.

I think of it as "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" kind of deal. I mean, why not? It's not like Jason must hide in there right? Sure, it's not likely that it would work very often, sure, you might let someone get away, but you might let someone get away while chasing them anyway. BUT, it would be so simple to implement(close door while in "X" cell or zone and the music turns off). I think it would just add another layer to the gameplay and it would be so easy to add to just turn the music off when the door is closed while occupying those small one entrance/exit rooms. But thanks for your input. I'm glad I provoked some thought.

This is true. I agree on the "why not". I could see this being used at a cabin that has a phone or CB. Especially if most of the counselors are already dead and the cars have left. Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like that idea lol. Not very useful at the beginning of a match with all the counselors but cool at the end.

• Like 2

This is true. I agree on the "why not". I could see this being used at a cabin that has a phone or CB. Especially if most of the counselors are already dead and the cars have left. Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like that idea of Jason lurking inside a cabin. Not very useful at the beginning of a match with all the counselors but cool at the end.

I do like that idea of Jason being able to hide, or at least get the jump on people.

I'd love to be able to punch through windows and grab nearby councilors or punch through doors at least.

I really hope they ad a stealth option for Jason. Which will decrease his music radius, and I agree zombie Jason's should be really stealth so he gets the jump on people

• Like 1

I just thought I'd give my own thread a bump because I had an update to the hiding mechanic that came to mind. I thought it could be expanded to include any interior space as long as it could be completely hidden from the outside, such as if there is an RNG'd interior that has no windows(or maybe even one) and however many doors there are, as long as they are all closed, and then Jason's music would shut off if he's inside with the doors closed. This of course would not work if any doors or walls are open or destroyed. BUT an interior wall could be destroyed and the music would turn off if the doors to the outside were closed.

Think of it as the suspenseful "cat and mouse" scenes in horror where the music quiets down and the killer searches a location for the victim, like in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake when Jessica Biel is hiding from Leatherface and he's searching the slaughterhouse for her. Heck, think of the end of F13 Part 3 with the barn finale. The music quiets down as Jason is looking for Chris Higgins.

If Jason enters a cabin with a counselor in it and CLOSES the door behind him if it happens to be unlocked, and the counselor is in section B while Jason is in section A with a door between them, they wouldn't hear the music but they'd hear Jason's heavy footsteps in the next area. Jason enters section B and uh-oh, SCARY MUSIC!

And the hiding mechanic would not immediately take effect if Jason has encountered a counselor within the last short while(say, 10-30 seconds), and if they are still within the vicinity(say, 15-30 meters?) after having encountered him. Jason would have to be alone and not have been seen recently in order to hide like this. But just a thought, if a counselor is hiding under a bed or in a closet that's in one of those kinds of rooms, and Jason leaves and closes the door behind him, the music would turn off sooner or immediately. This might dupe someone into exposing themselves and then BAM, Kool-Aid man comes back to say hi.

If you combine this with REMOVING the "WHOOSH/POOF/BAMF" sound effect from the Morph power(Jason's music would simply fade away when he's gone), a counselor wouldn't know if he's hiding or if he's gone away.

I also thought it would be great to grab and kill, or at least grab, counselors through walls and maybe even through doors too, like in Part 7 with the nerdy girl.