S. A. Hunt

ETA on F13 devtest gameplay Twitch streams?

It'd be awesome if we could follow the development process with incremental devtest streams every now and again, confined to backers / forum members. Any kind of word on when/if that could happen?

I think it would be fun to laugh at bugs with you guys as you squash them along the way...plus you could run adverts during the stream like any other Twitcher and make a little bit of funding money for development on the side.

• Like 1

We've definitely been playing with the idea, and we will be doing it down the road...but not while we're in a state that doesn't really show the game off. We've got our playtests going every week, and we will be keeping you guys appraised of what we're working on with changelogs and updates, but visually...we'll have to keep a lid on it for a bit. 

Why? 

Well, we took a gamble on posting up the gameplay teaser with pre-alpha (honestly...more like a prototype) settings. Sure, to some people they get that almost everything about that was unoptimized and not representative of the final product. However, Joe Everyguy might not be so knowledgeable...and they'll form their opinion on first contact. That's potentially a bad thing. There's a reason you don't see unpolished/pre-alpha gameplay from the big dogs; everything looks terrible up until right before launch. There's a whole lot of polish that needs to get done. 

We'll be a bit more forgiving than those major publishers, but realistically don't expect to see much for a while. We want anything the public to see to be to our standards, and they are very high standards. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I agree Ben , though I loved the Alpha vid personally , holding on till it makes people's jaws drop is a better idea . Better for us all , because that will mean more backers and a better game in the long run .  Even though we , you and I  , we could personally work out a deal and I won't tell anyone .  8 )  Cool ? ... cool ...

All that said, we'll still be posting regular updates about what's going on internally, what the team is focusing on at the moment, and will stream special events like visits to illfonic/mocap recording sessions/etc... when we can. 

• Like 1

We've definitely been playing with the idea, and we will be doing it down the road...but not while we're in a state that doesn't really show the game off. We've got our playtests going every week, and we will be keeping you guys appraised of what we're working on with changelogs and updates, but visually...we'll have to keep a lid on it for a bit. 

Why? 

Well, we took a gamble on posting up the gameplay teaser with pre-alpha (honestly...more like a prototype) settings. Sure, to some people they get that almost everything about that was unoptimized and not representative of the final product. However, Joe Everyguy might not be so knowledgeable...and they'll form their opinion on first contact. That's potentially a bad thing. There's a reason you don't see unpolished/pre-alpha gameplay from the big dogs; everything looks terrible up until right before launch. There's a whole lot of polish that needs to get done. 

We'll be a bit more forgiving than those major publishers, but realistically don't expect to see much for a while. We want anything the public to see to be to our standards, and they are very high standards. 

Oh definitely, I didn't think it would be any time soon. I know the game's still not in a good place yet. I was just hoping I could get Gun's take on what a good long-term timeframe would be so I could watch for stream announcements. I know you guys are vets at development, and I figured you have the dev cycle down to a science.

For what it's worth, I appreciated the alpha gameplay video. It really put a face on a lot of the concepts for me, and helped to crystallize the style of game I could expect in the finished product. I'm more excited now than I was when I backed it.

Heck, I'd be happy with anecdotes / GIFs of the goofiest glitches you've encountered along the way, or maybe some kind of dev journal, or even just those casual updates on the board. I just really like going along for the ride and seeing what goes into making the game. Seeing the hilarious things that come out of unforeseen bugs are just icing on the cake.

99655bcf871862cc83be2a92a9ac0bc0.gif

Either way, keep on keepin' on. I'm just glad to see this game coming out of development hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

WOW!!!

Normally I'd have some remark about not reanimating the dead, but this is so appropriate.

Well if a new thread was started he would be admonished and it would have been deleted and locked because there is already a thread for that.....