bewareofbears

Suggest a movie: Best (and worst) recent horror movies you've seen

206 posts in this topic

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, hu_soldier13 said:

One of my favorites that is fairly recent: Sinister

After so much critical praise I personally couldn't stand It Follows, The Babadook, or The Witch. I just don't understand all the love those movies got. To each their own I guess.

The Witch was awful, came close to walking out of the cinema for that one.

The Babadook was interesting, trying to work out if Amelia was losing her mind or whether Mister Babadook was real ... still can't tell by the end.

It Follows I thought was fantastic, very creepy, great central idea, well shot, well acted. good soundtrack.

... finally got round to watching Blair Witch, last night, absolute trash!!  It tried to replicate the cinema verite feel of the original by being shot all on handheld cameras, but unlike the original it was clear the cast were acting and reading lines, and the plot was scripted like a cliché horror film ... thunder storm on cue, convenient jump scares, etc. One to avoid.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:23 AM, hu_soldier13 said:

Additions:

It - 2017. Let's get this out of the way now, THIS WAS NOT A REMAKE AS THIS WAS NOT BASED OFF OF THE 1990 VERSION. This was hands down better than the 1990 film, fight me. Tim Curry was the only good thing about the original, the 2017 film was all around fantastic.

I really enjoyed Jigsaw. I wouldn't personally put it above the first 2 or maybe even 3, nothing beats the original in this franchise, but would put it above some of the later sequels.

Clearly you have read the book... this was another movie cashing in on the 80s hype train. Considering the book has the kids in 1957, I am going to say it's dead wrong with mullets and trans ams. Also, they take away all sense of horror when cleaning the bloody bathroom with a fun 80s music face montage. This movie was Stranger Things mixed with Goonies mixed with Stand By Me.

I watched Tales of Halloween last night, really enjoyed it. Way more than I thought I would. 

Did anyone see Hard Candy? I thought that was an alright flick. Some unnerving subject matter, but it plays out well.

Recently fell in love with Trick 'r Treat again. The one with Sam.

On 11/10/2017 at 5:51 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

It Follows I thought was fantastic, very creepy, great central idea, well shot, well acted. good soundtrack.

... finally got round to watching Blair Witch, last night, absolute trash!!  It tried to replicate the cinema verite feel of the original .....

It Follows was brilliant. Maybe the best horror movie in last 15 years.

The original Blair Witch was a masterpiece, especially if you ever went camping as a little kid.

I can't think of any new horror I've seen recently worth mentioning. 

Hmm....

Ash vs The Evil Dead is the greatest TV show of all time. I think that counts for something.

22 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

It Follows was brilliant. Maybe the best horror movie in last 15 years.

The original Blair Witch was a masterpiece, especially if you ever went camping as a little kid.

I can't think of any new horror I've seen recently worth mentioning. 

Hmm....

Ash vs The Evil Dead is the greatest TV show of all time. I think that counts for something.

That's all I kept thinking watching Blair Witch, how good The Blair Witch Project was and how long its been since I watched it.

I saw Happy Death Day a few nights ago.  I thought it was pretty cool.  It's definitely a lighter hearted horror movie that has a lot of comedy mixed in with it.  Basically Groundhogs Day, but horror.  I didn't like the way it ended though.

In season of the holidays, I watched Black Christmas (original).  Classic and it predates Halloween.  It actually gets the special distinction of being the first horror movie that takes place during a holiday.  One of my favorites.

Another one I watched pretty recently that was good was Let Us Prey.  Biblical in nature.  Cool story.

Another good one was The Devils Candy.  This one is very symbolic in good vs evil.  Simple.  Has a lot of biblical themes.  A lot of use of the color red.  Kick ass soundtrack if you like metal.