bewareofbears

Suggest a movie: Best (and worst) recent horror movies you've seen

206 posts in this topic

For one I highly recommend: Wes Craven's 1982 classic, The Thing. Not to be confused with that CGI infested reboot travesty prequel of the same name from 2011. Craven's flick uses a ton of practical effects and lighting mixed with just the right amount of tension and atmosphere to craft a perfect horror movie experience.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

Other classics you might consider are Evil Dead 1 & 2 and their third sequel, Army of Darkness. For those that haven't seen these yet (and if you haven't go now you uncultured bastards) they star Bruce Campbell. The first is a legit horror, the second a dark horror with some comedy, and the third is more comedy with horror. The slider moves a bit with each one but they're all great. If you like those be sure to check out Ash vs Evil Dead.

Evil Dead: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083907/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Evil Dead II: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092991/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

Army of Darkness: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

Ash vs Evil Dead: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4189022/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

My own guilty pleasure type of horror: Deep Rising. I kind of love the deep sea horror setting and this one is pretty decent, at least from my guilty pleasure side of things.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118956/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If you're looking for a gorefest, there's a French horror called Inside you might like. It's certainly got the gore and is a truly F***ed up movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

As for bad. One for me that is just painful to watch with no redeeming qualities and is so bad that it fails to even meet a single criteria for a so bad it's good watch (and that's coming from someone that loves so bad it's good flicks), is without a single doubt, Dracula 3000. Badly acted, badly written, badly cast, and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367677/

I'm a bit of a horror movie nut from way back when so I can recommend a lot.

There's one movie in the Freddy series that gets overlooked sometimes you might like. Have you seen Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

The Thing is a John Carpenter film. It's one of my favourite films, as well as the black and white original.

Deep Rising is one of my favourites also- not a lot of love for it but it's definitely a guilty pleasure.

Edit:

I should say I'm fairly brushed up on the classics, more so wondering if anything new is any good because the critics can't be trusted.

1 person likes this

I'll try to think back on anything else I may have seen recently worth mentioning. But one thing I did see I kind of liked was a Korean-made zombie movie called Train to Busan. That one was pretty decent if you need something to fill some time and don't mind subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWuHv2-Abk

I should say I'm fairly brushed up on the classics, more so wondering if anything new is any good because the critics can't be trusted.

Seems to be the case with most movies. A lot of times ratings are complete opposite on whether i like, love or hate a movie.

I'll try to think back on anything else I may have seen recently worth mentioning. But one thing I did see I kind of liked was a Korean-made zombie movie called Train to Busan. That one was pretty decent if you need something to fill some time and don't mind subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWuHv2-Abk

I'll look into it- thanks. :)

Seems to be the case with most movies. A lot of times ratings are complete opposite on whether i like, love or hate a movie.

I've lost all faith in modern critics. Though at the same time, critics have always sucked when it comes to horror. No matter how much anyone tries to convince me otherwise- Rosemary's Baby is a terrible movie. ;) I'm all about escapism and being entertained. :)

I've lost all faith in modern critics. Though at the same time, critics have always sucked when it comes to horror. No matter how much anyone tries to convince me otherwise- Rosemary's Baby is a terrible movie. ;) I'm all about escapism and being entertained. :)

Very true i dont know any horror movie i love that has very good critics no idea y horror is rated so low most the time i guess its just not that popular a genre.

tumblr_inline_n9xumz5RTk1qmo1aq.jpg

The Gregory Horror Show is 3D CGI animated series made in Japan. It is a horror comedy and though episodes are short there are four sessions to the show.

The first two session take place from the first person perspective of people who have lost their way and run into a hotel called Gregory House (which seems to be a sort of purgatory for lost souls) Run by a creepy old rat named Gregory. The protagonists only talk for the intro of an episode to give you an idea of what going on but stay silent for the episode itself, which allows to to project yourself in their place.

I love this show because it has a lot of unique characters like Judgement Boy (a scale you wander the hotel to judge lost souls for their past)

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/protectedimage.php?image=KevinGilvear/gregoryvol1-2.jpg

Hell's Chef (candle who murders people who critique his food)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/09a3f386cc1a3a01e30b72a5fb9abd8e/tumblr_mok7v42bdw1rn9495o1_500.gif

Neko Zombie (a cat who had is eyes mouth and ears sewed closed who pretends to be insane to trick Gregory)

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/p__/images/2/2d/NekoZombie.png/revision/latest?cb=20120323212949&path-prefix=protagonist

Its a pretty fun series, you can find the dvd's on Netflix or see if their are still videos up on YouTube.

Also their is a video game made by Capcom for the PS2, its really good but the english version only released in the UK.

Someone from here watched some giallo film? it's the origin of slasher, you should try it! i recommend movies like Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, Phenomena, Bay of Blood (One of the death scenes of this movie inspired the Jack and Sandra deaths in Part II...) and 6 donne per l'assassino.

2 people like this

Someone from here watched some giallo film? it's the origin of slasher, you should try it! i recommend movies like Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, Phenomena, Bay of Blood (One of the death scenes of this movie inspired the Jack and Sandra deaths in Part II...) and 6 donne per l'assassino.

Suspiria is one of my favorite horror films ever so I'll definitely watch the others you recommended if you liked it!

Beware the Slender Man Documentary on HBO is pretty great. The only downside is it only covers up to a certain point on a situation that is still ongoing. Probably easy to stick with the events in the news, but watching the families go through what they are going through is pretty crazy. 

Beware the Slender Man Documentary on HBO is pretty great. The only downside is it only covers up to a certain point on a situation that is still ongoing. Probably easy to stick with the events in the news, but watching the families go through what they are going through is pretty crazy. 

There's no horror like real life horror, it will give you chills. That aside, you want to see a scary movie you will never forget, watch The Room with Tommy Wiseau.

There's no horror like real life horror, it will give you chills. That aside, you want to see a scary movie you will never forget, watch The Room with Tommy Wiseau.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

2 people like this

Lights Out, Don't Breathe, and Hush are three favorites I've watched in the last couple months. I also really enjoyed The Conjuring 2, but my wife and I saw that last summer. 

2017 is shaping up to be pretty nice in the horror movie department, but we'll see how things turn out!

Recently watched Final girls. Thought it was all good fun. Would've liked it a little more if it was a R rated film but it was good.

Also watched The Monster last night. I enjoyed it. Mother and Daughter with a rocky relationship stranded after a car accident in the woods while a monster lurks outside waiting to eat them. Strong performances from the ladies.

Bad: Before I wake. Fell asleep halfway in.

Oculus or however you spell it was decent, and so was Insidious 3.

Just watched Oculus- I liked the concept but the execution and ending were lacking.

I'm always on the hunt for a good horror movie and unfortunately it's hard to tell what's good or bad by the reviews. I sat through 'The Witch' and 'The Babadook' and they were awful despite high praise from critics.

I watched 'The Boy' last night and really enjoyed it.

Also saw 'Blair Witch' recently but thought it was so-so, felt like a mash-up of 'Blair Witch', 'Paranormal Activity' and 'Grave Encounters'.

Anyone have any suggestions on good horror movies recently released? Or which ones to avoid?

Edit:

No spoilers, please. ;)

Soooo true! That is why I avoid most new horror offerings, no plot, bad script, and worse acting. Yet the reviews will be like it's up for a Saturn award.

Depending on taste, however, there are some O-kay newer arrivals. Some I rather enjoyed were:

1. Late Phases (good werewolf flick, bad werewolf makeup).

2. Leprechaun-Origins (not the little dude from the 90's, different movie all together)

3. Pandorum (good Sci-Fi with Dennis Quaid).

4. In the Heart of the Sea (not really horror, true story of the Real Moby-Dick, and seriously underrated film!)

5. Howl (not too bad of a British horror film on werewolves and the people trapped on a track liner, stranded in tim-buk-too).

6. Dracula Untold (I enjoyed it, and the message within it holds true today, many factual accounts within, taken loosely).

7. The Frankenstein Theory (docu-horror like Blair Witch, but has some real good moments, again, I enjoyed it.)

8. The Conjuring (a must see!)

That's a few off the top of my melon, I can think of. Enjoy!!!

P.S. My list of older films would fill volumes!

Soooo true! That is why I avoid most new horror offerings, no plot, bad script, and worse acting. Yet the reviews will be like it's up for a Saturn award.

Depending on taste, however, there are some O-kay newer arrivals. Some I rather enjoyed were:

1. Late Phases (good werewolf flick, bad werewolf makeup).

2. Leprechaun-Origins (not the little dude from the 90's, different movie all together)

3. Pandorum (good Sci-Fi with Dennis Quaid).

4. In the Heart of the Sea (not really horror, true story of the Real Moby-Dick, and seriously underrated film!)

5. Howl (not too bad of a British horror film on werewolves and the people trapped on a track liner, stranded in tim-buk-too).

6. Dracula Untold (I enjoyed it, and the message within it holds true today, many factual accounts within, taken loosely).

7. The Frankenstein Theory (docu-horror like Blair Witch, but has some real good moments, again, I enjoyed it.)

8. The Conjuring (a must see!)

That's a few off the top of my melon, I can think of. Enjoy!!!

P.S. My list of older films would fill volumes!

Some of these have been on my list to watch but I haven't yet. Is Leprechaun Origins actually decent? It has Hornswoggle from WWE and that always turned me away from it.

1 person likes this

Some of these have been on my list to watch but I haven't yet. Is Leprechaun Origins actually decent? It has Hornswoggle from WWE and that always turned me away from it.

I liked it although if u watch it be aware it has nothing to do with the original leprechaun movies completely different story about the mythical creature

Don't let that discourage you, it was pretty intense. ;)

Don't let that discourage you, it was pretty intense. ;)

a lot more terrifying than the originals for me kinda ruined a bit when i went in thinking its gonna be the origin story of the rhyming irish magical guy from the first 6 movies

1 person likes this

a lot more terrifying than the originals for me kinda ruined a bit when i went in thinking its gonna be the origin story of the rhyming irish magical guy from the first 6 movies

HA! LOL! I never did care for those. I did like the Wishmaster though. A real classic of that day is "WARLOCK" by Steve Miner, starring Julian Sands and the dude from Bram Stokers Dracula (Dr. Seward) as Redfern. (Great actor, he's also in the new "LOGAN").