mattshotcha

PC Matchmaking Change Deployed

This morning the team has deployed a workaround for the PC platform to help players avoid unofficial lobbies in matchmaking.

Quick Play is replaced with Join Match and functions the same way it always has.

A new option, Host Match, is now available to choose to be the host of a public game.

This option is only available on PC.

• Thanks 6

Thank you for all the hard work!

I'll have to wait until later tonight to try it out.

Finally, I can enjoy this game again! 

• Like 1

Sounds interesting.

I'll have to take a look myself and reinstall again. Only thing I worry about is most of the teamers and trolls being able to host outweighing those who want to play the actual game.

Thanks for updating on that, these hacker rooms are jamming the game queue. The game is very good and there are players willing to play it.
But this kind of problem, it gets in the way a lot.

(I apologize if something is typed wrong, I'm Brazilian, google translator win haha)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zaikyo said:

Thanks for updating on that, these hacker rooms are jamming the game queue. The game is very good and there are players willing to play it.

(I apologize if something is typed wrong, I'm Brazilian, google translator win haha)

Boa Denner..kkkk

2 minutes ago, DawnOfTheDeadBr said:

Boa Denner..kkkk

tmj carai!! deixa o like  me segue la no youtube jovs!! 😎

1 minute ago, Zaikyo said:

tmj carai!! deixa o like  me segue la no youtube jovs!! 😎

Tmj. Já sigo...sou o Diego T., esse é um dos meus nicks..."Um homem tem vários nomes"...kkkk

21 minutes ago, Zaikyo said:

I haven't played in a while, but the last time I did, I was still pretty good. I told my friend I used to play with that the match making is working again, so he is going to start again too. Jason was always my favorite slasher killer growing up. Also, the game is really fun, and produced stimulating situations.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

Very easy to host!

Fantastic, I am looking forward to playing it. Now we don't have to deal with unsportsmanlike hosts as much.

Perfect thank you so much!! Looking forward to playing this again without the hacked lobbies! Hopefully people will join and are still active.

I think people will still play, Doom still has a following. Ironically, it was modding the game that helped Doom's legacy. Where as modding F13 almost destroyed it.

3 hours ago, Fatal Error said:

I think people will still play, Doom still has a following. Ironically, it was modding the game that helped Doom's legacy. Where as modding F13 almost destroyed it.

If we are being totally honest mate that is because in F13 modding was never supported in the very first place and it was a banable offense even. There is a big and huge difference in the type of game Doom is vs the type of game F13 is. The day and time if modding were ever to be supported then I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad if it is done in a way where people can have the option to choose between modded and unmodded games. As it stands now it's not so unfortunately they were bleeding on top of one another. If modding were actually to be supported then it would help this games legacy tremendously.😎

On 10/26/2021 at 10:16 PM, mattshotcha said:

It really is a shame that this workaround hasn't been deployed across all platforms. I stopped playing the game on PS4 several months ago due to inevitably becoming fed up with joining back-to-back-to-back lobbies where inconsiderate hosts would end matches without consequence. That being said, seen as Gun were unable to/chose not to take measures (such as implementing host migration) to ensure that a P2P setup wouldn't disrupt gameplay too heavily back when the dedicated servers were decommissioned, surely someone on the dev team is able to see that the ability to opt to be host would benefit matchmaking for console and PC players alike, no? I'm sure adding the option to host has even been suggested multiple times within this forum. At present players who quit as host don't actually choose to be host in the first instance. So to some extent if a player doesn't want to stick around after they die, you could say it's their prerogative. Yes they can back out of the lobby every time they are selected to host, but that too is a bit of an unnecessary process when all you want to do is get into a game asap. Also, I am fully aware of how to become host on PS4 as things stand, but hosting a lobby is not ideal for everyone due to the ridiculous drop in framerate, which I can safely assume won't be optimised now that support has all but completely ceased.

So my question is: Is this workaround something that could be rolled out to consoles in order to increase the chances of players finding a lobby with a host that knows what being host actually means? Of course trolls will always be trolls and salty players will still up and leave, but that's just part and parcel of P2P gaming without host migration. But even I have been willing to persevere through poor framerates just to play full matches on numerous occasions back in the day. Additionally, do you not agree that this update across all platforms could also serve as a preventative measure should the hackers find a way to attack the console versions of the game in the future? There have been occurrences such as the connection timeout issue quite a few months back.

The lobby's are again like before update.

Directly after searching i'm in the game with lot peoples and with bots.

Tomorrow the game was good but since few hours they are like before.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, mattshotcha said:

Is there any chance the option to choose to be host will be added to console at some point?  Not only would be be a welcome feature to consoles that would help curb the amount of games ruined by the host quitting, but it would also get ahead of hackers who are attempting to hack console lobbies as well.

If only crossplay, Host options, and modding support were available for both PC and console.. that would be completely ideal for F13 in its current state.

• Haha 1

HACKED SERVER IS BACK CANT FIND NO ONE TO JOIN THE GAME FIX THE HACKERD SERVERS PLEASE

1 hour ago, WARRIC said:

HACKED SERVER IS BACK CANT FIND NO ONE TO JOIN THE GAME FIX THE HACKERD SERVERS PLEASE

It wasn’t meant to stop hacked lobbies. The patch is just a workaround to become host and hopefully have more players join a legitimate lobby.

8 hours ago, Greg290 said:

The patch is just a workaround. It wasn’t meant to stop them .. just to become a host, and minimize the possibility of joining a hacked lobby.

19 hours ago, KOOLLAYDTAC said:

If we are being totally honest mate that is because in F13 modding was never supported in the very first place and it was a banable offense even. There is a big and huge difference in the type of game Doom is vs the type of game F13 is. The day and time if modding were ever to be supported then I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad if it is done in a way where people can have the option to choose between modded and unmodded games. As it stands now it's not so unfortunately they were bleeding on top of one another. If modding were actually to be supported then it would help this games legacy tremendously.😎

Modding in a game like F13, with licensed IP is not nearly the same as modding in an original IP. Working with the intellectual property of others requires care, and many approvals. 

18 hours ago, F13 Seppuku Squad said:

It really is a shame that this workaround hasn't been deployed across all platforms. I stopped playing the game on PS4 several months ago due to inevitably becoming fed up with joining back-to-back-to-back lobbies where inconsiderate hosts would end matches without consequence. That being said, seen as Gun were unable to/chose not to take measures (such as implementing host migration) to ensure that a P2P setup wouldn't disrupt gameplay too heavily back when the dedicated servers were decommissioned, surely someone on the dev team is able to see that the ability to opt to be host would benefit matchmaking for console and PC players alike, no? I'm sure adding the option to host has even been suggested multiple times within this forum. At present players who quit as host don't actually choose to be host in the first instance. So to some extent if a player doesn't want to stick around after they die, you could say it's their prerogative. Yes they can back out of the lobby every time they are selected to host, but that too is a bit of an unnecessary process when all you want to do is get into a game asap. Also, I am fully aware of how to become host on PS4 as things stand, but hosting a lobby is not ideal for everyone due to the ridiculous drop in framerate, which I can safely assume won't be optimised now that support has all but completely ceased.

So my question is: Is this workaround something that could be rolled out to consoles in order to increase the chances of players finding a lobby with a host that knows what being host actually means? Of course trolls will always be trolls and salty players will still up and leave, but that's just part and parcel of P2P gaming without host migration. But even I have been willing to persevere through poor framerates just to play full matches on numerous occasions back in the day. Additionally, do you not agree that this update across all platforms could also serve as a preventative measure should the hackers find a way to attack the console versions of the game in the future? There have been occurrences such as the connection timeout issue quite a few months back.

There's a couple of reasons as to why this wasn't done on console too, when we did the work for PC.

Number One reason being, it doesn't really solve hosts leaving, in any sense. Hosts can still quit early. On PC the change was landed on due to the specific situation on PC with hacked lobbies most often being the ONLY lobbies players could find. Host options like these can also split up the playerbase. Basically meaning, more hosts, less clients. That can lead to longer wait times to fill a room, as everyone wants to host and not as many want to join. So you have a ton of lobbies with 1 or 2 folks sitting in them. On PC, this potential risk was still well worth it considering the alternative was players could not get into traditional lobbies. But on console, it is much harder to justify a potential split of the playerbase like that without more dire circumstances.

And before anyone says "just bring the feature over to console! should be an easy fix!!!" it isn't. This is work that needs to be done individually per platform, not ported.

8 hours ago, Greg290 said:

I'm going to paste in the convo from Discord this morning:

"Here's the thing with the recent change, we're not going after the hacked lobbies. If we did, they could always just change their methods and be back doing the same thing again. Considering the game is going into sunset, we pushed this workaround so that if you find yourself getting illegitimate games, you can choose host and hopefully have some folks in your region populate the match. So it's not that "they're back" more that they never left. The change is basically trying to populate the game on the PC platform with more legit hosted matches."

So if you find yourself in an unofficial, illegitimate lobby, please give the host lobby option a try.

4 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

Is there any chance the option to choose to be host will be added to console at some point?  Not only would be be a welcome feature to consoles that would help curb the amount of games ruined by the host quitting, but it would also get ahead of hackers who are attempting to hack console lobbies as well.

Please see my reply above. But to add to that, the console "hacker" situation is never as serious a situation as PC. PC has a tendency to be far more Wild West than console, partly due to MS/Sony/Nintendo protections against hackers.

1 hour ago, WARRIC said:

Please see my previous reply.

29 minutes ago, Christopher Newman said:

It wasn’t meant to stop hacked lobbies. The patch is just a workaround to become host and hopefully have more players join a legitimate lobby.

THIS.

25 minutes ago, Christopher Newman said:

The patch is just a workaround. It wasn’t meant to stop them .. just to become a host, and minimize the possibility of joining a hacked lobby.

And THIS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, mattshotcha said:

Host options like these can also split up the playerbase. Basically meaning, more hosts, less clients. That can lead to longer wait times to fill a room, as everyone wants to host and not as many want to join. So you have a ton of lobbies with 1 or 2 folks sitting in them. On PC, this potential risk was still well worth it considering the alternative was players could not get into traditional lobbies. But on console, it is much harder to justify a potential split of the playerbase like that without more dire circumstances.

That's fair enough... I suppose. Guess I'll continue to leave F13 on the shelf for now and wait patiently to see how Gun's next game unfolds. All the best ✌️

• Sad 1

I search a party and the dedicated servers are always online maybe it's there the problem.

I thought they had been removed completely ?