Dragonfire82877

Lawsuit Update

Why cant Sean Cunningham just buy out Victor Miller's half to the rights because there is no other way to resolve this.

Why does Sean Cunningham continue to pay big bucks to lawyers instead of just buying out Victor Miller's half to the rights to the original Friday the 13th backstory.

To be honest im not interested in seeing Friday the 13th campground movies without Jason Voorhees.

7 hours ago, Strigoi said:

Why cant Sean Cunningham just buy out Victor Miller's half to the rights because there is no other way to resolve this.

Why does Sean Cunningham continue to pay big bucks to lawyers instead of just buying out Victor Miller's half to the rights to the original Friday the 13th backstory.

To be honest im not interested in seeing Friday the 13th campground movies without Jason Voorhees.

The problem is I am Pretty sure Miller hates Sean and will never sell him the Rights to Friday the 13th now…..no matter how much was offered.

Maybe a long time ago they could have worked things out but after watching Sean make Millions from the Franchise…..being sued and having to fight for what he created…..Victor wants those millions he feels owed to him……. I expect Victor will attempt to make a remake or original F13 film soon….and with that he has the potential to make more money that Sean would pay for the rights anyway.

As for Sean he could easily make more films as well using the adult Hockey masked killer however using Jason, or Pam Voorhees name or Camp Crystal Lake or CampBlood won’t fly…..and he would be sued by Victor for using those characters and elements names from his film….. so we are in a strange place with the possibility of new Friday the 13th films.

• Like 1

So he just won rights to the 1st movie he didn't get the rights to "Adult" Jason that we all know and love. All the past videos of Larry he has said that Victor and Sean would still have to negotiate a deal for more Adult versions of Jason to be made if Victor won the appeal which is the case now. Sean CAN appeal again to the Supreme Court but it won't likely be heard  according to Larry. It's going to get interesting.

1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

The problem is I am Pretty sure Miller hates Sean and will never sell him the Rights to Friday the 13th now…..no matter how much was offered.

Maybe a long time ago they could have worked things out but after watching Sean make Millions from the Franchise…..being sued and having to fight for what he created…..Victor those millions he feels owed to him……. I expect Victor will attempt to make a remake or original F13 film soon….and with that he has the potential to make more money that Sean would pay for the rights anyway.

As for Sean he could easily make more films as well using the adult Hockey masked killer however using Jason, or Pam Voorhees name or Camp Crystal Lake or CampBlood won’t fly…..and he would be sued by Victor for using those characters and elements names from his film….. so we are in a strange place with the possibility of new Friday the 13th films.

Let's hope Miller is more interested in making money than acting like the greedy vindictive prick Cunningham has come across as lately. I already wasn't a big fan of the man since Horror Inc. acquired the rights, and I lost most of the respect I had left for him when I found out he filed a separate lawsuit against Paramount and WB over the remake. Doesn't want to pay the guy who helped start the franchise, but damn sure wants to make sure he gets every penny he feels he's owed. Maybe he wouldn't need that money so bad if he wasn't wasting so much money on lawyers and leaving millions on the table by leaving this franchise dormant just to participate in this one-sided dick measuring contest over a franchise I'm becoming convinced he doesn't really care much about.... Except, arguably, for the film he directed which it looks like he no longer has the rights too. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

So he just won rights to the 1st movie he didn't get the rights to "Adult" Jason that we all know and love. All the past videos of Larry he has said that Victor and Sean would still have to negotiate a deal for more Adult versions of Jason to be made if Victor won the appeal which is the case now. Sean CAN appeal again to the Supreme Court but it won't likely be heard  according to Larry. It's going to get interesting.

If Horror Inc. makes any more  “Jason Voorhees” movies or “Friday the 13th” movies using elements or characters and locations that are From the original Friday the 13th film…..or calls the Adult Hockey masked Killer in the film “Jason Voorhees” and uses the drowned in “Crystal Lake” “Camp Blood” story etc…….he will have to make a deal with Victor and pay him to use those character names or story elements in the film…….

Sean could make more movies but not Call  Jason, Jason or use any elements for the original Friday the 13th…..but good lord who would want to watch a movie like that……

20 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

Let's hope Miller is more interested in making money than acting like the greedy vindictive prick Cunningham has come across as lately. I already wasn't a big fan of the man since Horror Inc. acquired the rights, and I lost most of the respect I had left for him when I found out he filed a separate lawsuit against Paramount and WB over the remake. Doesn't want to pay the guy who helped start the franchise, but damn sure wants to make sure he gets every penny he feels he's owed. Maybe he wouldn't need that money so bad if he wasn't wasting so much money on lawyers and leaving millions on the table by leaving this franchise dormant just to participate in this one-sided dick measuring contest over a franchise I'm becoming convinced he doesn't really care much about.... Except, arguably, for the film he directed which it looks like he no longer has the rights too. 

Fingers crossed bro…..I just don’t see them ever working this out.

They both are very stubborn individuals that want to get paid that’s for sure…..I wish Cunningham would have taken care of Miller Financially originally or made sure he received substantial Royalties from every film Sean made Millions from.

But like I said before these two I think are beyond working with each other again………. getting the Rights for the original  F13 was the biggest FU to Sean Victor could ever hope to accomplish….and he has succeeded.

maybe when they have passed away the heirs to this split Franchise will come together and fix this mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

If Horror Inc. makes any more  “Jason”movies or “Friday the 13th” movies or calls the Adult Hockey masked Killer in the film “Jason Voorhees” or “Crystal Lake” “Camp Blood” etc…….he will have to make a deal with Victor and pay him to use those character names or story elements in the film…….

Sean could make more movies but not Call   Jason, Jason or use any elements for the original Friday the 13th…..but good lord who would want to watch a movie like that……

Not I.

Fingers crossed bro…..I just don’t see them ever working this out.

They both are very stubborn individuals that want to get paid that’s for sure…..I wish Cunningham would have taken care of Miller Financially originally or made sure he received substantial Royalties from every film Sean made Millions from.

But like I said before these two I think are beyond working with each other again………. getting the Rights for the original  F13 was the biggest FU to Sean Victor could ever hope to accomplish….and he has succeeded.

maybe when they have passed away the heirs to this split Franchise will come together and fix this mess.

That would be best case scenario.

• Like 3

Generally Names cannot be copyrighted. New Line does own the title Friday the 13th. Sean CAN use the name Jason Voorhees as Adult Jason BUT without making a deal with Miller He'd have to change the whole back story of the character.I don't know if the fans would accept that.

11 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

Generally Names cannot be copyrighted. New Line does own the title Friday the 13th. Sean CAN use the name Jason Voorhees as Adult Jason BUT without making a deal with Miller He'd have to change the whole back story of the character.I don't know if the fans would accept that.

You are correct. Names are not covered under copyright laws, Characters are.

So a boy named Jason Voorhees that drowned in Camp Crystal Lake or “Camp Blood” who’s Mother named Pam Voorhees went on a murder spree….on his Birthday Friday the 13th.

Sean’s “Jason Voorhees” the Adult Hockey masked killer would have to have no elements that link his character to the original film…..that means no Pam, No Crystal Lake, no Camp blood, no drowning in the Lake…… No Friday the 13th….

What Kind of Jason Voorhees does that leave us with?

A undead killer who wants revenge for reasons they can’t say anymore?

who may or may not stalk camp grounds and kill teenagers anymore?

yeah…… this doesn’t sound like Jason to me anymore…….

If they are smart they'll just negotiate a deal and everything can return to somewhat normal.

25 minutes ago, TimDuke 01 said:

If they are smart they'll just negotiate a deal and everything can return to somewhat normal.

We can all hope brother.

2 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

If they were smart, they would have settled all this BS before the lawsuit took effect. 

9 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

What Kind of Jason Voorhees does that leave us with?

Not a very enjoyable one.

5 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

If they were smart, they would have settled all this BS before the lawsuit took effect. 

That would have been nice.

• Like 5

It’s strange that adults cannot resolve the copyright issue. This should be done at the initial stage of cooperation with each other. It is best to go to the professionals or use https://edubirdie.com/law-essay-writing-service where you can use the services of lawyers to write legal essays. Therefore, there is always a way out of the situation, regardless of your budget. The main thing is to understand this topic at least a little so that you can know and defend your rights. 

32 minutes ago, bobfily said:

It is strange that adults cannot solve the copyright issue if at the initial stage of cooperation with each other.

Greed doesn’t look good on anyone. Especially two cranky old men unwilling to share. 

• Like 1