Dunken

Why exactly is Shelly the worst?

Can someone explain why Shelly of all counselors barely see any casual and competitive play? You would think a character with 5/10 repair and 8/10 stealth would be just enough to get by but I guess not.

• Like 1

Welcome back. Hope you had a great break form the game. I also don't know. He is my fourth favorite.

Maybe cuz there are not much uses for a repairer with low chase potential to have high strength, making his stats not synergize. Maybe also cuz there are other counselors that does what he does, but better, maybe like Adam or Fox. Maybe cuz he was new, and people were more used to their old mains.

In casual gameplay I believe he excells more than most, but I'm not sure what to think anout him in sweaty tryhard games.

30 minutes ago, Carlso said:

Welcome back. Hope you had a great break form the game. I also don't know. He is my fourth favorite.

Maybe cuz there are not much uses for a repairer with low chase potential to have high strength, making his stats not synergize. Maybe also cuz there are other counselors that does what he does, but better, maybe like Adam or Fox. Maybe cuz he was new, and people were more used to their old mains.

In casual gameplay I believe he excells more than most, but I'm not sure what to think anout him in sweaty tryhard games.

I had someone once tell me that Shelly is suppose to be a male version of AJ but AJ in of herself is not a great character. I had one guy on PC tell me that the reason why hes the worst is because of how poorly programmed stealth and strength are.

3 hours ago, Dunken said:

hes the worst is because of how poorly programmed stealth and strength are.

Ya, I think that is definitely part of it. 

The stat values (of any stat, really) are not nearly as linear as the values would suggest. ( ie - Having a repair of 3 is not actually any more helpful than having a stat of 2).  Plus some stats are directly affected by other stats. (ie - composure stat will directly affect how stealth and stamina stats actually affect gameplay). 

So you don't really know the whole story about how a counselor's stats affect their actual gameplay until you experience playing as them yourself.  I think the extra 3 points total that AJ has over Shelly in Composure and Stealth affect their gameplay more than the numbers alone would suggest.  And the 2 points extra in repair that Shelly has doesn't really make any difference other than it may take a couple less times of trying before you get a good skill-check-wheel. 

I agree with most of what @Carlso said. I appreciate the Devs tried to balance him out more to make him play differen't then the other counselors, but the result was a guy whose okay at a couple of things but doesn't excel at anything. There's other characters that are just more reliable repair characters, and his poor speed and stam doesn't make him ideal for Jason hunting unless you just have a really big squad. Usually, when I see somebody playing Shelly its often because they're fans ofthe character from the movie, and some of them have gotten really good at utilizing him. That doesn't change the fact that, while playing Jason, Shelly is by far the character I've had the least amount of trouble dealing with... There may be a perception problem. You know there's some casuals  out there who see a pudgy guy with a fro, and just say no.

Personally, I don't think there are any bad counselors when they're in the right hands. In my 1300+ matches as Jason, I've come across at least one beast version of each character that's given me a run for my money. I enjoy using LaChappa to annoy obnoxious Jason players, something most sane players wouldn't dare even try.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, Laotian Lam said:

Ya, I think that is definitely part of it. 

The stat values (of any stat, really) are not nearly as linear as the values would suggest. ( ie - Having a repair of 3 is not actually any more helpful than having a stat of 2).  Plus some stats are directly affected by other stats. (ie - composure stat will directly affect how stealth and stamina stats actually affect gameplay). 

So you don't really know the whole story about how a counselor's stats affect their actual gameplay until you experience playing as them yourself.  I think the extra 3 points total that AJ has over Shelly in Composure and Stealth affect their gameplay more than the numbers alone would suggest.  And the 2 points extra in repair that Shelly has doesn't really make any difference other than it may take a couple less times of trying before you get a good skill-check-wheel. 

I noticed that sometime around when I first started playing this game. I recently was looking at a few tourny F13 matches and found out almost nobody in the competitive scene uses Shelly. Heck, you almost dont ever see anyone use Mitch, Shelly, and Jenny in tourny play ever.

• Like 1

i think he's a little underrated and i feel that most people just judge off looks. " it's an out of shape white nerd " "he's useless and only noobs use him" shelly has good composure, stealth and he really could stun jason with a pot... a lovely 7/10 on strength. sheldon is good for sneaking around the camp and finding what he needs to get the mask to be honest with ya, most people just use him for shits and giggles. he's a decent counselor, i respect shelly mains 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nico said:

i think he's a little underrated and i feel that most people just judge off looks. " it's an out of shape white nerd " "he's useless and only noobs use him" shelly has good composure, stealth and he really could stun jason with a pot... a lovely 7/10 on strength. sheldon is good for sneaking around the camp and finding what he needs to get the mask to be honest with ya, most people just use him for shits and giggles. he's a decent counselor, i respect shelly mains 

See, that's exactly what has me scratching my head a bit. Shelly does have some good attributes just not the best ones. Btw, I have never found nor heard of a Shelly main. Really, really difficult to find one on Xbox.

2 hours ago, Dunken said:

Btw, I have never found nor heard of a Shelly main. Really, really difficult to find one on Xbox.

i used to play with a couple of em a few years ago, so funny watching jason gettin jumped by shelly's from the distance. mask would come off so easily haha