y06urt

Slasher backer campaign

I just saw the tweet mentioning this and was curious... What is this?  A separate kickstarter to fund a single player campaign?

y06urt, it is something typically done after some kickstarters. It is normally called a slacker backer. It has been cleverly named slasher backer instead because no one like the term slacker backer. It is to help fund stretch goals that were not reached during the kickstarter campaign. It is not specific for any stretch goal but there will be more information on this soon.

• Like 1

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I had never heard of a slacker backer.  I get it now, people that were "slacker"s and didn't participate at first, can now become "backer"s.  Also more money... In this situation more money to add more features.  Sounds cool.

I assume that us non-slackers will be able to help kickstart some more if we like the new features.

While searching the forums for what a slasher backer is I found a lot of people asking for a single player campaign... My 2cents and thoughts:

• I think you guys have a really hard decision to make!  I know there are camps of people that only care about MP and there are certain people who only care about SP.  I dig both and I always play both.
  • I imagine adding a single player campaign would cost as much or more than the whole game as it is now.  Need all the story, VO, mocap, actors, level design, QA, etc.

• On one hand:  (IMHO)  Single player campaigns are scrutinized  way more.  Every cinematic, every animation, every line is heard by every player, every time.  Especially when it's an IP that has such a long and storied history like F13.  Why doesn't Star Wars: Battlefront have a campaign?  I don't know, but one reason could be that Disney didn't want DICE to blow in in any way that might disrupt their giant movie opening.
  • One example in SW:  You can play as heroes in that game, and when you begin playing as one, they have 1 line.  One line only!  And the VO is so terrible that almost every review calls it out as cringe-worthy.

• On the other hand: (IMHO)  People love campaigns.  Using Star Wars as an example again... Almost everyone I talk to complains that there isn't a single player campaign.

• On the other hand: (I have 3 hands)  Developers who try to do full featured MP and SP modes almost never works out well.  MP or SP, possibly both modes become diluted because a team is trying to make 2 big ass games.
  • It does work out well sometimes, like Blops3 has an in-depth campaign, multiplayer and horde mode.  Halo5 kinda too.  But both of those companies spent years and tens of millions of dollars making them.  (Also Hardline had a really cool SP campaign and fun MP.)

• I think some of the best shooters of this generation are Titanfall and Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare.. both of those had a total focus on MP... And I think it shows.  
  • On the other hand, I know a lot of gamers who somehow didn't like those games or didn't even try them because there was no single player mode... Also, Evolve was MP only and sucked.

• Imagine if Until Dawn had MP.  Sounds like it might be a cool idea.  But then think how the SP would be if they spent 1/2 their money making a MP mode.  It would probably be half as good.

Anyways, I really had no point to this post.  I'm not anti-single player or anything.  Anything is possible.  And in my experience, passion is the great equalizer and you guys seem to have the passion. 

I'm just really excited about the potential super fun of chopping off my friends' heads in this game.

I guess one more point, and probably the biggest point, quite possibly why you guys are even making this game now... The modern classic, father of all modern co-op shooters and one of the greatest games ever made... Left 4 Dead.  Co-op and multiplayer absolute greatness.  Some of the greatest gaming moments I've ever had... 7 of your friends in a close game, survivors nearing the end but barely hanging on by a thread.... Then onscreen, "You will become the tank!"  

I can only imagine spawning as motherf*#$ing Jason!

• Like 1

y06urt, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If we get a single player mode, it will be more like simple scenarios. Like playing NHL and they say "You're in the third period and you're behind 0-3. Win the game." Except instead of hockey sticks, it's a machete. And the goalie is the one doing the murdering.

And then there's the offline bot mode too.

• Like 1

I would just like to point out that Single Player is not a campaign. It is a challenge mode and Bots mode will be the game with councelors or Jason being controlled by A.I.  Anyone who thinks that there will be cut scenes and a deep story will be disappointed. I just like to be clear so people know what to expect.

This game started as a 7v1 Asymmetrical multi-player game. It will not be completely overhauled for a single player mode. The single player options are to give people the flexibility to play by themselves if they so choose. but lets be honest how fun is that anyways? :P 

• Like 2

I think there are definitely benefits to this being an indie game (Gun Media's vision should be almost completely realized). But unfortunately, the negative is that the budget isn't going to be very high.

I would just like to point out that Single Player is not a campaign. It is a challenge mode and Bots mode will be the game with councelors or Jason being controlled by A.I.  Anyone who thinks that there will be cut scenes and a deep story will be disappointed. I just like to be clear so people know what to expect.

This game started as a 7v1 Asymmetrical multi-player game. It will not be completely overhauled for a single player mode. The single player options are to give people the flexibility to play by themselves if they so choose. but lets be honest how fun is that anyways? :P

Well I hope that this game gets further funding either by backers from Slasher Backers or perhaps outside funders who will be willing to fund for a small financial stake in the project without also demanding creative control. Then if this game sells like gangbusters (I really hope it does) that perhaps the powers that be will see potential in further games and then yall can do a game with even larger of scope with a single player campaign, cut scenes etc.

I know its highly unlikely anything like that happens but a guy can dream.

The single player options are to give people the flexibility to play by themselves if they so choose. but lets be honest how fun is that anyways? :P

One benefit of single player is memorizing character patterns. In this case I expect those patterns to be randomized to better fit with how multiplayer is like, but even then their actions won't be as unpredictable and some playstyles could be possible that normally won't be in multiplayer. Multiplayer may not be my cup of tea, but I have faith that it can be appreciated even by those of us who prefer single player.

Hopefully we have some news for you guys here tomorrow. Not entirely sure, but we are working to get the slasher backer campaign to you guys as soon as we possibly can!

• Like 2

y06urt, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If we get a single player mode, it will be more like simple scenarios. Like playing NHL and they say "You're in the third period and you're behind 0-3. Win the game." Except instead of hockey sticks, it's a machete. And the goalie is the one doing the murdering.

And then there's the offline bot mode too.

And don't forget about the blue line ... and pressing the crease .... :D

TItanfall oh yeah Titanfall... look how everyone is still talking about Titanfall hahahah

In the end.. if the 7v1 mode is awesome everyone wins and that opens up tons of possibilities!

This is also something I keep thinking about . Even back before the Kickstarter goal was reached I was telling myself , just get made and do well enough that people want a squeal .

I wanted to jump in and say a couple of things.

SWBF3 was never intended at any point to have SP, that was the call made at the beginning, Infact, the single player of say BF2 was really just bot matches with some small cutscenes about the troopers. It maybe had some specific linear objectives but I definitely wouldn't call it a full fledged single player.

What made SWBF2 great for me was not the campaign, but the Galactic Conquest mode, conquering planet by planet and all that other nonsense, people have different opinions, but I was always a bit confused as to what was absolutely amazing about the pseudo-SP that it should be added in to SWBF3 (aside from the cutscenes obv)

The 7v1 mode is interesting, a bit concerning on how it will do with less than 7 people on one team, but me, concerns are concerns.

If you want an actual realm of a ridiculously large amount of possibilities, adding in mod support so people can make maps, character models, redo AI and character abilities, etc can open up the game to not only be F13, but just about any other horror movie you could think of (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Steet, Predator, Aliens, Chuckie, IT, Thing, The Princess, Slenderman, Rake, SCPs, etc, etc)

But that's more a thing of which we have no idea whether or not will happen, and I personally doubt huge modding support, but we can stay hopeful.

I would just like to point out that Single Player is not a campaign. It is a challenge mode and Bots mode will be the game with councelors or Jason being controlled by A.I. Anyone who thinks that there will be cut scenes and a deep story will be disappointed. I just like to be clear so people know what to expect.

This game started as a 7v1 Asymmetrical multi-player game. It will not be completely overhauled for a single player mode. The single player options are to give people the flexibility to play by themselves if they so choose. but lets be honest how fun is that anyways? :P

Honestly? I'd rather play as Jason and kill a bunch of AI counsellors instead of having to play online with a bunch of d-bags when my friends aren't available to play.
  • Like 3

Honestly? I'd rather play as Jason and kill a bunch of AI counsellors instead of having to play online with a bunch of d-bags when my friends aren't available to play.

Similarly, sometimes I'd enjoy playing as a counselor with a bunch of other counselor AIs and a Jason AI.  It'd be nice if the counselors AI did stupid horror movie stuff while I worked solo trying to figure out a way to get out of Camp Crystal Lake.

Well that's an assumption that they will be "d-bags" but I can appreciate the fact multi-player games aren't for everyone. Hopefully we can hit the stretch goal and everyone will get a bit of what they want.

Well that's an assumption that they will be "d-bags" but I can appreciate the fact multi-player games aren't for everyone. Hopefully we can hit the stretch goal and everyone will get a bit of what they want.

I enjoy multiplayer.....when it's with my friends or the right people. But we all know it doesn't usually work that way. Lol. I have a lot of friends that are getting this game. So I can't wait to play with them. But it would be nice to just sit on the the couch and play a quick game by myself from time to time and just kill some AI players to satisfy my bloodlust.

Sorry if this has been answered. But will there be perks for this? Like the Kickstarter ones? I really wanted to contribute to the Kickstarter, but I found out too late and couldn't contribute in time.

Sorry if this has been answered. But will there be perks for this? Like the Kickstarter ones? I really wanted to contribute to the Kickstarter, but I found out too late and couldn't contribute in time.

Yes.

Depends on what you mean by perks? If you mean a copy of the game or something like that then yes. There may be some surprises in the slasher backer but it will not be all the rewards of the kick starter.

Depends on what you mean by perks? If you mean a copy of the game or something like that then yes. There may be some surprises in the slasher backer but it will not be all the rewards of the kick starter.

Ok. Thanks! Any idea when more details will be released on the Slasher Backer?

Ok. Thanks! Any idea when more details will be released on the Slasher Backer?

Slasher backer is getting close according to Randy's last update. There is no set date but it getting close!