Sign in to follow this  
The80s

Shift should have an "auto grab" option

Of course, only the Zombie Jasons could exploit this, but while Jason is shifting, once he gets within arms reach of a counselor while still in shift there should be a prompt that says "Tap X," and if you choose to, Zombie Jason will automatically come out of his shift and grab a hold of the counselor he's next to. That way we have the option and can decide if we want to do it or not, AND it saves us from coming out of shift too soon or too late, or situated in the wrong direction, causing us not to be able to grab them like we intend. Overall, it makes the whole process smoother and more fluid and realistic.

Yes, this will make it easier for Zombie Jason in some regards, but just because you auto grab a counselor does not mean it's an auto kill. They still have every opportunity to escape Jason's grasp. It just makes it easier for the player to actually be Jason and use his abilities like they're intended. It would make shift so much more satisfying and rewarding. 

(Living Jason probably should not have this option)

I hate this idea.  It's bad enough that Jason Shift-Instagrabs in the first place.  We don't need an aid to help players who can't hunt as Jason to exploit a mechanic even more than it already is.  Jason doesn't need cheap mechanics like this to make his kills.

Plain and simple, Jason doesn't go around shifting and killing people. 

This mechanic already destroys the CHASE (most suspenseful part of the experience) that each counselor player should have to endure before being killed.

• Like 5

I hate this idea.  It's bad enough that Jason Shift-Instagrabs in the first place.  We don't need an aid to help players who can't hunt as Jason to exploit a mechanic even more than it already is.  Jason doesn't need cheap mechanics like this to make his kills.

Plain and simple, Jason doesn't go around shifting and killing people. 

This mechanic already destroys the CHASE (most suspenseful part of the experience) that each player should have to endure before being killed.

Well, in order to improve "the chase" I say make Jason faster. Give him more speed when running and walking. As for this though, it wouldn't guarantee an instant kill. It'd just make it easier to grab a hold of people when transitioning out of shift. Plus, you have the option to use it or not. You don't have to.

To make it more balanced though, perhaps this is where an "adrenaline meter" could come into play with the counselors. If Jason pops out of shift and grabs a hold of you, use your adrenaline special to help get you out of it. But really, like I said, just because he grabs you doesn't necessarily mean anything. You could still kick or stab your way out of it like normal. It simply works to make that whole aspect of gameplay less infuriating. It's BS to shift right by someone, within literal arm's reach, yet you're not always able to grab them. It makes it seem like the game has wonky controls. If we're already right next to them, there's no harm in just giving us the option to initiate the grab right then and there. It's not cheap. 

As is, having to come out of shift and stand there as Jason transitions into his "grab animation" is silly. It's so slow and unless you're in perfect position, it doesn't work. Counselors can be literally right next to you and if you're not positioned perfectly, you wont be able to grab them (and not just because they juked - but because Jason's animations are too slow/out of position). That's infuriating. 

I like how it is now, I wouldn't want an auto-grab.  I also don't always want to perform a grab after a shift, as sometimes I may just want 1 more weapon swing on a counselor instead, thinking maybe they might have a pocket knife equipped to counter my grab.  I like how it is implemented now and would rather they focus on other fixes and improvements.  This one is fine as-is I think.

• Like 1

There is no need for an auto grab. If you're unable to catch the other players, then it's something that you need to personally work on and not request for features to make it easier for you.

• Like 1

Well, in order to improve "the chase" I say make Jason faster. Give him more speed when running and walking. As for this though, it wouldn't guarantee an instant kill. It'd just make it easier to grab a hold of people when transitioning out of shift. Plus, you have the option to use it or not. You don't have to.

To make it more balanced though, perhaps this is where an "adrenaline meter" could come into play with the counselors. If Jason pops out of shift and grabs a hold of you, use your adrenaline special to help get you out of it. But really, like I said, just because he grabs you doesn't necessarily mean anything. You could still kick or stab your way out of it like normal. It simply works to make that whole aspect of gameplay less infuriating. It's BS to shift right by someone, within literal arm's reach, yet you're not always able to grab them. It makes it seem like the game has wonky controls. If we're already right next to them, there's no harm in just giving us the option to initiate the grab right then and there. It's not cheap. 

As is, having to come out of shift and stand there as Jason transitions into his "grab animation" is silly. It's so slow and unless you're in perfect position, it doesn't work. Counselors can be literally right next to you and if you're not positioned perfectly, you wont be able to grab them (and not just because they juked - but because Jason's animations are too slow/out of position). That's infuriating. 

There should be no shift insta-grabs period.

I'm personally hoping they put a cooldown on Jason players, leaving them unable to grab another player once they leave a SHIFT.  They don't need to adjust Jason's speed either, his speed is just fine as it is... ANYMORE speed and Jason would look silly as fuck.

They need to leave Jason's speed the same, and they should adjust the 'mistakes' the counselors make while Jason's hunting them, slowing them down enough Jason can catch them.

I like how the counselors currently slow down just a TAD below Jason's speed, giving that nice chase... but for the faster characters, if Jason's putting in the effort, they should make mistakes, longer stumbles, or something similar so Jason can catch up.  It's an easy fix without changing much of the mechanics (they may have to motion capture a new stumble to tap out of), but it would prevent trolling and looping as well.

• Like 3

From a lot of posts I have been reading I can see a trend with some posts. Everyone wants Jason to be the ultimate bad ass and I whole heartily agree but we need to keep in mind this is a game involving players on both ends. You can not make unwinnable situations for players counselor side, what fun is that afterall? Also consider what is the point of playing a counselor if this is just going to be a killer simulator? I know people playing Jason want to kill everyone but that scenario depends on you. Pretty sure a lot of times I end up getting everyone but there will be times you cant and while people may question design decisions or features in relation to the movies you need to remember that balance is necessary. Jason intentionally is already OP counselors need at least a glimmer of hope. Even if they really are doomed.

• Like 2

I disagree with the idea, but I don't disagree with the human and undead Jason's need more distinctions between them. Human Jason's having a more robust sprint feature instead of a shift. Undead Jason's having more variation in shift and morph. Part 8 Jason should have all world morph ability. Part 6 Jason should easily have the fastest walking and fast walk speed, etc.

I think once we see how well Jason plays with long range weaponry, that will change a lot of people's opinions since running away from Jason constantly because you're faster won't always be a sure way to survive.

I still think the easiest thing is expanding on the trip feature. By making the characters trip and fall. You can give all the Jason's more cooldown on shift or nerf it to counter this as a trade off. Counselors and characters would trip AND FALL all the time in slasher films. I see no reason why that mechanic can't be expanded on. I do think shift instagrab should be removed, but Jason should definitely be able to swing his weapon from the right angle.

Its called strategy.people now days want everything handed to them on a plate. Easy this...convienience. Spoiled. Entitled.PUT IN SOME WORK.in mario and zelda you died 1000 times trying to master a level. Such was life.

I love grabbing people once I get out of my shift when people tried to do that to me they were never been able to grab me I just juke them so I like it the way it is

• Like 1

There should be no shift insta-grabs period.

I'm personally hoping they put a cooldown on Jason players, leaving them unable to grab another player once they leave a SHIFT. They don't need to adjust Jason's speed either, his speed is just fine as it is... ANYMORE speed and Jason would look silly as fuck.

They need to leave Jason's speed the same, and they should adjust the 'mistakes' the counselors make while Jason's hunting them, slowing them down enough Jason can catch them.

I like how the counselors currently slow down just a TAD below Jason's speed, giving that nice chase... but for the faster characters, if Jason's putting in the effort, they should make mistakes, longer stumbles, or something similar so Jason can catch up. It's an easy fix without changing much of the mechanics (they may have to motion capture a new stumble to tap out of), but it would prevent trolling and looping as well.

I disagree. If you can't grab right after coming out of a shift you would then make the Jasons that can't run useless. As it stands if you miss your grab on a Vanessa as part 7 Jason she's gone, so if you have to wait a couple of seconds before you can grab you'll never kill anyone.
  • Like 1

I don't quite like this idea. Jason is already a bit overpowered as he should be, but this would be a bit much and would just kill everyone faster. But I see what you mean about Human and Zombie Jason needing a bit more distinction

• Like 1

I disagree. If you can't grab right after coming out of a shift you would then make the Jasons that can't run useless. As it stands if you miss your grab on a Vanessa as part 7 Jason she's gone, so if you have to wait a couple of seconds before you can grab you'll never kill anyone.

Bingo. 

This guy (link below) shifts RIGHT NEXT TO the counselor yet STILL can't hit her. It's BULLSHIT

https://youtu.be/cRPljNO7x2A?t=7m25s

I think too many people gravitate to the grab mechanic opposed to using the attack button. It seems less gratifying but it can be just as good. One game during the beta that's exactly what two counselors expected me to do after a shift but I chopped them down with my axe the second one thought they were going to hit me and wound up in the way of my axe trying to save their friend. Got a double kill and that was more satisfying than a grab where one would have ran for the hills in the meantime. You have a toolset you need to use it to your advantage. I do not feel an auto grab is something that a necessary feature personally.

A grab kill is almost like a cheap trick, and I could see trolls using it to get kills, and this isn't directed at the original guy who posted this thread. Sure the kill animations are cool and stuff, but it isn't fair to those playing a counselor for someone to have a huge advantage with the shift alone, then to just get caught in a choke and all the person playing Jason has to do is hit one button. I agree with Laphin in it really takes away from the hunt and chase aspect like in the actual movies. You have to be fair and balanced on both sides, those who are counselors and those who are playing Jason. A automatic grab out of shift is a huge advantage to Jason who basically already has more of a advantage. I can understand the original posters frustrations as well as way to many people troll with faster counselors, that gets old fast.

I think too many people gravitate to the grab mechanic opposed to using the attack button. It seems less gratifying but it can be just as good. One game during the beta that's exactly what two counselors expected me to do after a shift but I chopped them down with my axe the second one thought they were going to hit me and wound up in the way of my axe trying to save their friend. Got a double kill and that was more satisfying than a grab where one would have ran for the hills in the meantime. You have a toolset you need to use it to your advantage. I do not feel an auto grab is something that a necessary feature personally.

I agree that an auto grab isn't needed, but I also have anecdotes from beta where I got two grab kills in a similar situation or even caught the guy who ran with a grab kill. I do think both the weapon attacks and grabs are both good, but swinging is hardly as useful because again as an undead Jason if you miss your swing or hell even if you land a hit on a Vanessa she's still gone and then you have to put in more time on a chase whereas if you are able to grab her she's done. That's why people go for the grab. Make the weapon swing consistently effective and it would get used more often, but as it stands the grab is really the only consistently effective way to catch and kill those people that can outrun you like it's nothing.
  • Like 1

Of course, only the Zombie Jasons could exploit this, but while Jason is shifting, once he gets within arms reach of a counselor while still in shift there should be a prompt that says "Tap X," and if you choose to, Zombie Jason will automatically come out of his shift and grab a hold of the counselor he's next to. That way we have the option and can decide if we want to do it or not, AND it saves us from coming out of shift too soon or too late, or situated in the wrong direction, causing us not to be able to grab them like we intend. Overall, it makes the whole process smoother and more fluid and realistic.

Yes, this will make it easier for Zombie Jason in some regards, but just because you auto grab a counselor does not mean it's an auto kill. They still have every opportunity to escape Jason's grasp. It just makes it easier for the player to actually be Jason and use his abilities like they're intended. It would make shift so much more satisfying and rewarding. 

(Living Jason probably should not have this option)

Please GOD no.

Shift grabbing is already SUPER unfun to play with AND against, and it should be removed not encouraged.

Please GOD no.

Shift grabbing is already SUPER unfun to play with AND against, and it should be removed not encouraged.

I'm sorry to say but it's gotta stay in to fight Vanessa with