IH8YH

A nightmare on Elm Street

rewatching the whole series (except that stupid remake) for the first time after ages...

and i gotta admit that its really not that good!
granted the first one is a master piece and the last one (Wes Cravens New Nightmare) is fucking scary as well... but all the middle parts are pretty damn stupid / lame to be honest.

they arent gory really, freddy is only in the for limited screentime, the ways he gets ressurrected and killed are damn retardet as well (he gets buried and the soil then christened, then a god named JASON pisses on that exact place and gives him the chance to come back again. then he doesnt get revived at all, he's just there again without an explanation... and so on.....)

yeah i had them much better in mind but if you really think about it and be honest to yourself......they arent really that good.

Freddys wackyness in the few scenes hes in is really all the series has itself going for....

not to mention the fact that his backstory is medically not possible. human sperm cannot be mixed up and "be the bastard child of 100 mentally ill men". its just not possible.

how do you kill freddy!? turn your back on him or show him his face in a mirror...... 

rewatching the whole series (except that stupid remake) for the first time after ages...

and i gotta admit that its really not that good!

granted the first one is a master piece and the last one (Wes Cravens New Nightmare) is fucking scary as well... but all the middle parts are pretty damn stupid / lame to be honest.

they arent gory really, freddy is only in the for limited screentime, the ways he gets ressurrected and killed are damn retardet as well (he gets buried and the soil then christened, then a god named JASON pisses on that exact place and gives him the chance to come back again. then he doesnt get revived at all, he's just there again without an explanation... and so on.....)

yeah i had them much better in mind but if you really think about it and be honest to yourself......they arent really that good.

Freddys wackyness in the few scenes hes in is really all the series has itself going for....

Even New Nightmare didn't really do anything for me . The movie within a movie in my opinion was a mistake , even though it was a way to reunite the cast . As you say the first is a master piece and I think the rest could have used some tightening of the belt and less 1980s series writing .

For what they are , I like them , but they jumped into a different category during part 3 , which was the film where comedy became the focus of the series. . Much like Friday the 13th's part 6 , many people at the time enjoyed putting both horror and comedy elements together .

I on the other hand wondered what movies like part 3 Dream Warriors could have been if they put more effort into the " dream warrior " aspect , instead of spending their energy and resources on the comedy side of it . As we all know after that they became more of a series of kills that could introduce new one liners , instead of kills and suspense that would make them superior horror movies .

For me  , having a few jokes here and there can add to the finished product , but once they pull you away from the suspense , once they take you off the edge of your seat , then they break barrier between being immersed in the movie , which is the point of seeing a movie . 

I really like the concept behind the first film, and I like pretty much all of it except for the stupid Home Alone style house traps Nancy sets for Freddy and the ending which Robert Shaye just had to ruin.

The second film I used to like for the atmosphere and score, but the fact Freddy shows up at a pool party while everyone is awake is just unforgivable.

The third is all about the visuals, and I have to say, is probably my favourite out of the series. On paper, a bunch of kids too afraid to sleep locked up in a ward for troubled kids being picked off by Freddy sounds amazing, but then with the whole 'powers' thing it kinda gets a bit too hokey for my tastes.

Anything after the third film for me is just background noise. The fifth would've been much better if they didn't hack and censor it to pieces.

the Dream Warrior idea was completely wasted.

Freddy using the unborn childs dreams in Part 5 was completely wasted.

if they had stuck with the serious and brutal tone of the first one, the franchise would have been much better.

they at least tried to do something with part 2, i give them that, but with part 3 the whole movies just, like u said, became a series of more or less funny kills linked together by the kids going "freddy is real! we shouldnt sleep" and the parents all going "you are crazy and by the way we mixed sleeping pills into your food".... thats all it basically boils down to.

i did enjoy them lots when i was younger, but rewatching them now, i realize how stupid and lame they all are. except for the first one as mentioned (and that except for the anti climatic ending) and the last one, which i enjoyed a lot still as already mentioned.

I agree that they really needed to stick with the tone of the first movie rather than turn Freddy into an MTV icon as it progressed. What I like about part 3 is some of the imagery which again, really isn't for everyone, but I have to admit, giant worm Freddy still looks cool to me. The downside is like I said, on paper the concept of 3 sounds so good with a lot of potential to be really dark, but fast forward to Wizard Masters and quotes like "In my dreams I'm beautiful, and bad!" and you've got something which is REALLY hard to get behind.

Part 4 is like watching a really slow car wreck, but it's a car you once really appreciated and so it's all the harder to watch.

And as for the remake well... the less said the better.

You're not missing out

Yea that movie is an insult to the franchise. I bought it on DVD for $4 and I still wanted my money back.

I'm about to be cast down, but I find dumb movies better than good movies. So I naturally love virutally every and any slasher I see from the classics to the low grade b-movies. But if I had to pick a single favorite slasher series it would be Nightmare without a doubt, Jason is good, Leatherface, and Ghostface is good. I absolutely adore Chucky (enough to consider him and Freddy to be top dog)...but I just tend to like Nightmare better than most slashers. That's my opinion though. Do I still love Jason, hell yeah. But to be honest with how I feel, everyone is sitting here saying how mediocre Nightmare is, have we forgotten how darn Mediocre Friday can be haha.

I sat down as the kickstarter was going and binge watched 1-half of 7. It got so repeditive, and annoying, and the teens are stupid, and Kane is the only thing right about Jason to me right now. I stil love it, but man they really drag on and don't change movie to movie, and flat out at time were just dumb. It's still good. I'm mad hype for the game, just sharing my opinions.

While i love the aNoES series as a whole i will agree the series wasnt without its weak entries (though even F13th had its dud now and then). To me the first, third and New Nightmare were the strongest entries in the series. part 4 - Freddy's Dead were enjoyable slashers as long as you turned your brain off at the door & Freddy's Revenge... well... it was... ummm... illuminating.

Still the three i mentioned are my favorites of that series, the first movie set up the characters and ground rules of the universe, the third one really expanded the concept of dreams and how much we can control them and New Nightmare for all the flac it gets was Wes's way of taking a series that was driven into the ground and trying to do something different with it, while it wasnt the slasher movie that teenagers wanted it was geared to the parents and adults who were teenagers when the original movie came out. To that end i gotta commend him for trying to make the franchise mature much like the fans of the original had.

I'm about to be cast down, but I find dumb movies better than good movies. So I naturally love virutally every and any slasher I see from the classics to the low grade b-movies. But if I had to pick a single favorite slasher series it would be Nightmare without a doubt, Jason is good, Leatherface, and Ghostface is good. I absolutely adore Chucky (enough to consider him and Freddy to be top dog)...but I just tend to like Nightmare better than most slashers. That's my opinion though. Do I still love Jason, hell yeah. But to be honest with how I feel, everyone is sitting here saying how mediocre Nightmare is, have we forgotten how darn Mediocre Friday can be haha.

I sat down as the kickstarter was going and binge watched 1-half of 7. It got so repeditive, and annoying, and the teens are stupid, and Kane is the only thing right about Jason to me right now. I stil love it, but man they really drag on and don't change movie to movie, and flat out at time were just dumb. It's still good. I'm mad hype for the game, just sharing my opinions.

You won’t be cast down, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do agree there is something just fun watching a movie that you know isn’t gonna be good. A good example was what i saw for thanksgiving, Thankskilling is such a stupid movie that you gotta go into it knowing its just complete cheese, when you do its just one of those experiences where you just sit there not knowing what off the wall thing you will see next.

I think as villains that Freddy and Chucky are up there because of their visual look and also their personality, that deadly smartass persona they have down. Though that doesn’t take anything away from others in the slasher and horror genre, Pinhead is wonderful with his vain disinterest, Jason and Michael really work with their silent mysterious demeanors, Candyman... well hell Candyman has one of those deep voices that is scary yet seductive.

I think all horror franchise once they go on for so long have their low points and once a franchise has been in so many different creative hands the plotlines and backstories get somewhat convoluted.

• Like 1

Thankskilling is such a stupid movie that you gotta go into it knowing its just complete cheese, when you do its just one of those experiences where you just sit there not knowing what off the wall thing you will see next.

That movie should be listed as a comedy lol.

That movie should be listed as a comedy lol.

Well it is a horror comedy/spoof, it does have gore moments but it only plays for humor, plus its main characters are horror character cliches. In that way it plays much like Tucker and Dale vs Evil or Cabin in the woods. while no where near as good as either of the two they all take what people take for granted in horror films and turns it on its ear, plays with your expectations and for better or for worse it gives you something you wont soon forget.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not considering Nightmare mediocre, me and my friend always have debates on the series as it's a mutual favourite, the concept behind Nightmare is amazing and it's probably because I liked so much about the first 3 movies that I feel so passionate about my distaste for the rest of them. But the same can be said for most series... Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, Bride of Chucky, Hellraiser: Bloodlines, Halloween H20 and Jason X all made me cringe, but I still own most of them hehe.

• Like 2

I love the Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise, everyone except for the remake.  It put me to sleep.  This doesn't mean that I don't love Friday the 13th series.  Hell it was my first love and will always be for Horror movies.  But I have to give it my ex. (as sad as it is for me to say anthing positive about that asshole )  If it wasn't for him, I would have never watched it.  Him being pro Freddy and me, tugging the Jason line, it lead to some interesting "discussions" ha ha. 

The first one is amazing, very dark and brooding.  The second one came along and well it sucked in theaters and was a bomb, but the following that movie got in the LGBT horror community has lifted it to cult classic standings.  For once we got a final girl that is infact a boy!  Well he does have a girl love interest, you can clearly see that he's in love with his best friend.  Then you have all the "signs" of homosexuality throught the movie.  The little gags and easter eggs that my straight friends who watched it with me never caught on too.  :D   It's a blast and by far my favourite of the series.  Ha ha, favourite scene is then New Line Cinema president Bob Shaye, dress up as a "leather daddy" in a "leather bar" as the bartender.  HA HA HA.  Wonder what he was thinking when they filmed this shot!

nightmare2-1.jpg

For me, Freddy and Jason are like Ying and Yang.  Jason gets the blood and the gore, well Freddy gets the one-liners, and the comedy relief.  A match made in Heave.......HELL.  :D

• Like 1

When I watched Part 2 (as a prepubescent), I thought it was so dang boring.  Later, I learned about all the LGBT (or, rather, just 'G' and 'B') themes and was like "yeah, I can see that".  But upon reflection, they missed a real good opportunity with the coach.  The coach looked like an out-of-shape putz.  A coach in the style of Dennis Quaid would have made the whole leather daddy scene a lot less frightening...

dennis_quaid6.jpg

When I watched Part 2 (as a prepubescent), I thought it was so dang boring.  Later, I learned about all the LGBT (or, rather, just 'G' and 'B') themes and was like "yeah, I can see that".  But upon reflection, they missed a real good opportunity with the coach.  The coach looked like an out-of-shape putz.  A coach in the style of Dennis Quaid would have made the whole leather daddy scene a lot less frightening...

dennis_quaid6.jpg

It was the 80's.  A nicer time when our community of G and B brothers where more accepting of people's shape like the coach.  This day and age being anything but White and having some tone to your body and your nothing to the community.  Just another guy to be ignored.  I think that's why I like older movies, tired of seeing twinks and twunks running around in movies and tv shows that use "Queer" Bait to attract the LGBT community.  One example of this is Seasons one to four of Teen Wolf.  But that's a topic for another thread and more then likely not on this forum but one where our odds are better at finding others.  ha ha ha ha.

It was the 80's.  A nicer time when our community of G and B brothers where more accepting of people's shape like the coach.  This day and age being anything but White and having some tone to your body and your nothing to the community.  Just another guy to be ignored.  I think that's why I like older movies, tired of seeing twinks and twunks running around in movies and tv shows that use "Queer" Bait to attract the LGBT community.  One example of this is Seasons one to four of Teen Wolf.  But that's a topic for another thread and more then likely not on this forum but one where our odds are better at finding others.  ha ha ha ha.

Have you ever read that book by Larry Kramer which rhymes with Baguettes?  The gays of yesteryear were just as superficial with their gym clone looks and Fire Island shares.  Granted, when they wanted to get down to business there was a bit of an availability bias because they only had options in whatever dark bar they were at, no online "dating" or GPS-based "dating" apps.  But they still preferred to hang with other clones.

Slasher movies of the 80s (and arguably through today) are definitely lacking strong POC protagonists aside from Kincaid (Nightmare on Elm Street 3 & 4) and Reggie (Friday the 13th 5).  It may not just be a Hollywood thing since horror movies from Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Asia all tend to have heterogeneous skin tone cast members.

I guess what irked me most about the coach in Part 2 was that he emanated that stereotypical creepy/sketchy/predatory gay uncle vibe that was so common of 80s gay characters.  Abs can be overrated, but at least they could have cast a coach which was more likely to be a gym teacher crush?  Someone looking like Patrick Warburton who embodies the suburban normal guy, but still has a crush-worthy appeal.

rules-engagement41.jpg

I guess what irked me most about the coach in Part 2 was that he emanated that stereotypical creepy/sketchy/predatory gay uncle vibe that was so common of 80s gay characters.

To be fair, the movie was made buy a bunch of Heterosexuals and the view of gays was predatory in the 80's.  lol

Yeah I love the first one but the went downhill after that. They tried to make Freddy too campy/funny.  It lost the terror that scared me as a child.

Freddy always seems more a comedy to me than a horror i rather the quiet type killers like Jason and Michael myers

• Like 1

Freddy always seems more a comedy to me than a horror i rather the quiet type killers like Jason and Michael myers

Exactly.