Sign in to follow this  
Mr Unlucky

Horror Movie Reviews - Post yours here!

I thought I'd contribute to the forum with a movie review. Something 80's horror that I haven't seen and didn't know even existed. What is it you ask? Well it's 1982's Slumber Party Massacre!

Amazon.com: The Slumber Party Massacre - 1982 - Movie Poster Magnet:  Kitchen & Dining

This low budget flick has a very flimsy storyline that seems to drag the film out a bit with a lot of dumb moments with characters making very questionable decisions. These moments make the film more comedy than horror, but in an odd way it seems to work. People at the time must have also agreed, as the film was a commercial success. It grossed $3.6 million at the box office on a budget of $220,000 despite receiving mixed critical reviews at the time. So in effect the film was a really good investment no matter what the lasting legacy. 

Anyway onto my review, I'll try not to spoil the movie if you haven't seen it! As the title suggests the film is about a girls slumber party and reflecting it the cast is nearly exclusively all female. Without explaining the plot too much these bunch of girls leave school and set out to have a good time at friends house whose parents are away. What could go wrong? Well this manic is on the loose who happens to like killing women and he takes an interest in them straight away. The film goes from slow build up to almost split second kills with the killers preferred weapon: an electric hammer drill taken from a pretty women whose rather unconvincingly dressed up as your local telephone engineer. Along the way we have moments of love interest, several well executed jump scares and a rather annoying younger sister getting in the way with the girl next door. The film soon moves from school to the house of the party with an interesting constant switch between the peace and quiet from the girl next doors house (until her younger sister appears) and the build up of ensuing chaos next door. Even the female P.E teacher has to get in on the action!

The male contribution to the film is limited to the dad that says goodbye at the start, the other next door man whose vowed to look after the girls in-between killing snails with a meat cleaver outside the house!, A pizza guy and then a few lads. One being a love interest and the other two as peeping Toms that get involved when the chaos erupts. Lastly the killer is a man, and I'm not quite sure how to sum him up. He is basically an ordinary average Joe, not especially strong or ugly and without the drill he wouldn't stand out from a crowd. He is just as weak as a normal person as well. I would say its the small glimpses of his face that show his mental instability, his eyes and how he surveys the area with his face void of emotion. As a comparison it is very similar to how Arnold Schwarzenegger played the Terminator to show no humanity under the skin. Apart from this, the drill is the scariest part of the killer, the wind up like the sound of a dentist's drill and the clumber some length of the drill bit really stands out as menacing.

The film is limited however, not just by budget but also by plot. The producers did very well to include as many scenes in what is really one house for most of the film. I also give credit to the creativity of the fights which include a fire poker versus the drill and having Jason Voorhees stay for tea the night before and kindly lending his machete for DIY purposes in the garage.  If you don't mind not thinking too much, preferable having a few beers on hand and can tolerate seeing women braless towards the start of the film then its one for you to watch. It might not generate the scares and gut wrenching of a modern horror flick, but this horror thriller is a worthy 6.5/10 for me.

What' next? ...

Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) - Posters — The Movie Database (TMDb)

Why its got to be Slumber Party Massacre 2! Even more 80's, even more drill-y with whatever the hell that electric guitar drill thing is...

Feel free to post your own reviews bellow too!

Well having sadly watched S.P Massacre 2 I can confidently say it's one of the worst films I have ever seen. Avoid at all costs! The film doesn't have a clear plot and spends most of the time seeing a girl have intermittent horrific nightmares. Satanic Elvis needs some good explaining, of which the film doesn't even bother trying to explain. No backstory, no name, no reason for him to rationally exist at all. The kills are all bundled towards the end of the film in a slap-dash mess of music and a rather unconvincing mad man with an electric guitar cum power tool. It is almost as if the producers and director were on some serious drugs when going from story board to cut film. As for the meaning of the ending? That's open for debate, with one possibility being it was all just a dream from a girl with a mental illness. Perhaps I should have expected this from a film with such an outlandish poster. I rate this film -100/10. Some films are so bad that they are actually good, this film is so bad that the real scare is it can't be unseen!

• Thanks 1