Are "Counselor Mains" Still a Thing?

Are "Counselor Mains" Still a Thing?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Spawn Preference?

• On Jason
    • On Random
    • On Counselors

Just wanted to know for sure.

If you have better information about the question, I would be pleased if you share it.

Im all Random all the time.

I have it set on no preference for Jason or Counselors.

My Jason is random.

My Counselors is random.

It makes the start of each match a bit more exciting.  Because i never know what counselor or Jason i am till it starts.  

• Like 1

Isn't everyone a Counselor Main?  I mean, no matter what you set your preference to you are going to end up as a counselor more often than Jason.

90% of the time my preference is set to Counselor.  I find there are a lot more layers of strategy and types of gameplay for a counselor than there is Jason. 

Just now, Laotian Lam said:

Isn't everyone a Counselor Main?

From what I can tell, "Counselor Mains" at this game are those who only play as counselors.

• Like 1

Just now, Carlso said:

From what I can tell, "Counselor Mains" at this game are those who only play as counselors.

True that.

On a side note:  The people who only play as Jason are a-holes.  (those who exit out when they aren't Jason, leaving the rest of the counselors short-handed).  If you are looking for your PHD in murder then get some friends and grind it out in a Private Match.  Screwing over QP lobbies for the sake of achievement hunting is a dick move.

• Like 1

My preference is usually set to random, and always has been except for that two month window I was grinding for my 1000 Jason plays. Normally though, when playing with friends I prefer to play Counselor, and when I go Solo, I prefer Jason. If nobody in the lobby is going to bother communicating, I'd rather be the dude taking advantage of it.

Man, my preference was always set to Jason and I spawn as counselor almost every time. How often do you guys spawn as Jason @I'm Not a Goalie @Laotian Lam

(I am Jason like once every 4 to 5 matches)

BTW I don't know the correct terminology for most of the types of "mains", if someone could help me to complete this thing:

Preference Spawn to counselor: Counselor Main

Preference Spawn to random: Flex main?

Preference Spawn to Jason: ?

Quits every time it's not Jason: Jason main?

Spawn preference is set to Jason.

Playing as Jason is infinitely more fun, to me, than playing as a counselor.

• Like 1

My God, once out of every 10-12 matches when set to Jason. I'd go days without playing him. It was rare and frustrating when trying to grind for those achievements, especially when my friend seemed to draw Jason every other match. 😂 I always joked that there was a Savini bias. Ironically, I seem to draw Jason more often set to random then I ever did when my preference was on Jason.

1 hour ago, Laotian Lam said:

True that.

On a side note:  The people who only play as Jason are a-holes.  (those who exit out when they aren't Jason, leaving the rest of the counselors short-handed). 

I enjoy playing as both sides.  But when i go for days and days without Jason.  I will quit a MILLION games in row if thats what it takes to get my turn..lol

19 minutes ago, Carlso said:

Man, my preference was always set to Jason and I spawn as counselor almost every time. How often do you guys spawn as Jason @I'm Not a Goalie @Laotian Lam

When my preference is set to Counselor I am never selected as Jason.  The only way I could be selected is if everyone has set to Counselor (which has only ever happened in Private matches)

When I set my preference to Random then I am usually Jason in the first match I play (its like the game knows I have been counselor for 100 times in a row lol). 

But overall I would say my average ratio is maybe 40:1 Counselor over Jason.  I truly am a counselor main.  And when I choose to play as Jason it is mostly just so I can learn to anticipate what a Jason might do in any given situation and make my counselor game that much better. 

I've never really looked at it as "counselor main" or "Jason main". I do believe in character mains (Jenny, A.J. Part 3 , etc.).

12 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Im all Random all the time.

I'm like that 99% of the time. The other 1% I pick a choice counselor or Jason and play a few rounds.

12 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

My preference is usually set to random, and always has been except for that two month window I was grinding for my 1000 Jason plays. Normally though, when playing with friends I prefer to play Counselor, and when I go Solo, I prefer Jason. If nobody in the lobby is going to bother communicating, I'd rather be the dude taking advantage of it.

That's a pretty clever idea.

11 hours ago, Carlso said:

Being set on Random, I tend to be Jason 25-30% of the time.

• Like 4

no, i have my preference set as (nintendo) jason.

as for when im a counsel, deborah exclusively. i do stealth repairs so its the best character for that.

Spawn preference is Jason, with Jason and counselor set as Random. As someone posted earlier, it keeps it a little more interesting.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, Laotian Lam said:

The people who only play as Jason are a-holes.  (those who exit out when they aren't Jason, leaving the rest of the counselors short-handed)

I must be a a--hole then. I've had this debate many times. If the person only wants to be Jason and leaves, yes the rest of the lobby is "short handed" but if that person stays and does nothing  what is the difference if they left or not? They are not obligated to do anything and can go hide in tent, outhouse, under a bed until Jason finds them. I know a few players that do this when they are not chosen. The only solution which isn't going to happen is make the offline bots smarter so they are somewhat of a challenge, adding more pocket knives and firecrackers did not make them really any harder. If the bots were a challenge the whole "Jason Main" thing wouldn't be a issue. Penalizing leaving is NOT the answer either, that will just create trolls.

As I pointed out if I stay and do nothing and go hide what good am I to everyone else? Am I being selfish? Maybe, but I know I'm not the only one. At least I'm being honest about it. I don't like playing counselor 90% of the time, crucify me. I can just as easily commit suicide at the nearest window or get idle kicked.I know someone is going to say go find a bunch of people to play with in private matches who will let me be Jason every time. Easier said than done especially on PC where there is only 400 people playing at peak times. Everyone on here can hate me now. The game is on it's death bed anyway once dedicated servers go away. I won't be playing hardly at all then.

15 minutes ago, TimDuke 01 said:

As I pointed out if I stay and do nothing and go hide what good am I to everyone else? Am I being selfish? Maybe, but I know I'm not the only one. At least I'm being honest about it. I don't like playing counselor 90% of the time, crucify me. I can just as easily commit suicide at the nearest window or get idle kicked.I know someone is going to say go find a bunch of people to play with in private matches who will let me be Jason every time. Easier said than done especially on PC where there is only 400 people playing at peak times. Everyone on here can hate me now. The game is on it's death bed anyway once dedicated servers go away. I won't be playing hardly at all then.

Nah you're not selfish infact from my point of view at least being selfish is when you have 3 PK & hog them all to yourself without sharing them to your fellow team members to disable traps nor give any to a sweater girl. 

13 hours ago, RetroJason89 said:

Nah you're not selfish infact from my point of view at least being selfish is when you have 3 PK & hog them all to yourself without sharing them to your fellow team members to disable traps nor give any to a sweater girl. 

Your fellow teammates that run-pass you with the car and team with Jason lol

My phylosophy in pub lobbies: TRUST NO ONE.

13 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

crucify me

I don't think by no means that it is a reason to crucify someone, but it is selfish.

I am also selfish sometimes. What is mine, is mine. Don't waste your time teabagging and flashlight clicking. My pocket knives will only leave my inventory if Jason grabs me. >:T

17 hours ago, TimDuke 01 said:

How you play is your prerogative. But unfortunately leaving the game as soon as it starts does have an adverse affect on other players - less people to preoccupy Jason and less people to push objectives. Asking if you should stay and do nothing/hide is not the alternative to leaving early. The alternative is to stay and do something. Yes, no one is obligated to do anything. But playing as a counsleor you are expected to survive and a prerequisite of survival is teamwork/fixing objectives. Just because others choose not to do this it doesn't mean everyone has to follow suit. Personally I see playing as a counselor as a change to keep things fresh, but if you don't like it then there isn't much else to do but leave, I guess. In QP, as much as I prefer to be the main man, I find the bigger gratification comes from escaping rather than sweeping the lobby, but that's just me. Again, you are entitled to play (or not play as the case may be) the game how you want. IMO the actual problem would have been avoided if IllFonic implemented the option for players to queue to be Jason or counselor. But in light of that oversight, I suppose you could say that what you are doing is comparable to the mindset of that person who leaves as soon as Jason grabs them to avoid being killed - as long as you're happy with your play-style and getting enjoyment from the game then what does it matter how your actions affect others, right?

P.s. I'm sure there are others here who do what you do. They just probably won't admit to it. I know that when I see familiar people who only want to be Jason on PS I will specifically leave their matches to reciprocate exactly what they do to countless others. And if I'm playing with mates, or at least 2 other counselors do as I've done, then it's even sweeter. Not much fun being Jason and having 4 or less counselors to kill.

• Like 1