I'm Not a Goalie

Unwritten Rules of Friday the 13th?

Unwritten Rules of Friday the 13th?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What are the Dumbest Unwritten Rules in Friday the 13th The Game?

• Counselors Need to Bar the Door of Every Cabin You Enter
    • Jason is Never Supposed to Slash Kill. NEVER!
    • Jason Using the Choke Kill is Cheap
    • Jason Trapping Cabin Windows Very Early in the Match
    • Counselors Shouldn't Set Traps Behind Unlocked Doors or Out in the Open
    • Jason is Obligated to Stand and Fight a Kill Squad (Basically Expected to Stand There and Take it Without Using Any Type of Strategy)
    • Counselors Shouldn't Use Their Flashlight
    • Counselors Shouldn't Escape in a Two-Seat Vehicle by Themselves
    • It's Cheating for Jason to Shift Passed a Set Trap (Yes Seriously)
    • Jason Should Never Spawn Kill
    • Jason Shouldn't Use Combat Stance to Break Down a Door
    • Female Counselors Should Never Get the Sweater Before Tommy is on the Map

I had a relatively interesting match the other day. The guy was playing A.J. and his level was around the mid-thirties. He had a Mic, and let's just say that this particular fellow was very vocal about how he thought the game should be played and bitched incessantly about every little thing Jason or other Counselors did that he didn't consider the proper way to play. It probably should've annoyed me, but after putting 1800 hours into this game, I found myself more amused with this guy whose balls had barely dropped as far as game experience was concerned, and he's trying to tell me how the game should be played. To be fair, some of his complaints were warranted and probably were things someone at his level should've been concerned about, but some of it was complete bat-shit and completely came out of left field. It got me thinking about the unwritten rules of this game, and how much they've changed with each new update, and each new wave of players that join the game.

My question for the forum, in your opinion what are the stupidest of these unwritten rules that certain segments of the community expect everyone to follow? I've selected the 12 that I've heard argued over or complained about the most while playing the game. A few of them are debatable, and others are so ridiculous I'm embarrassed I had to include them. I'm sure I've missed a few, so feel free to include your own in the comments. I'm sure this topic has been discussed before in the forum, but it's probably been long enough that it's okay to bring up again.

Note: I purposely tried to avoid any topics brought up in recent threads since those have been talked about at length already.

Correction: The Question should've read rules, not rule. You can vote for however many you want.

Ok i was gonna place a vote but one particular option really stood out to me.

"It's Cheating for Jason to Shift Passed a Set Trap (Yes Seriously)"

This legit?

Jason is Obligated to Stand and Fight a Kill Squad (Basically Expected to Stand There and Take it

This, a thousand times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RetroJason89 said:

This legit?

Sadly yes... 😂 On Several occasions I've had someone argue this, enough to decide to add it to the list. Some of those idiots who spend an entire match hording Traps at Higgins Barn and dance really think they're untouchable.

1 hour ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

Sadly yes... 😂 On Several occasions I've had someone argue this, enough to decide to add it to the list. Some of those idiots who spend an entire match hording Traps at Higgins Barn and dance really think they're untouchable.

Oh God ... Pray for me if I encounter a player like this cause I'm just gonna facepalm so hard that they'll need to preform surgery to remove my hand from my face.😑 

Counselors Need to Bar the Door of Every Cabin You Enter

I hear this one all the time, and I'll say that it is absolutely pointless to lock a cabin and open windows if you're not planning on spending any time in said cabin. One or two cabins close to an objective, sure. But don't bother with the rest. 

Jason is Never Supposed to Slash Kill. NEVER!

Jason Using the Choke Kill is Cheap

Jason is Obligated to Stand and Fight a Kill Squad (Basically Expected to Stand There and Take it Without Using Any Type of Strategy) 

It's Cheating for Jason to Shift Passed a Set Trap (Yes Seriously)

Jason Should Never Spawn Kill

Jason Shouldn't Use Combat Stance to Break Down a Door

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Counselors Shouldn't Set Traps Behind Unlocked Doors or Out in the Open

I don't have a problem with a trap being set out in the open, but it's dumb asf to set a trap behind an unlocked door unless you're teaming with Jason.

Counselors Shouldn't Use Their Flashlight

Counselors Shouldn't Escape in a Two-Seat Vehicle by Themselves

^^these two are just stupid 🤦‍♀️

Jason Trapping Cabin Windows Very Early in the Match

This is actually a bad idea. Although I've occasionally done it with success at the kitchen window of Pack/Pack small. Still better to save the traps for objectives.

Female Counselors Should Never Get the Sweater Before Tommy is on the Map

Again, this is a bad idea unless the Jason is a really bad player.

• Like 1

A few of the things on that list I actually agree with to some degree and a few of them I have never even heard anyone complain about.

Counselors Need to Bar the Door of Every Cabin You Enter  - Maybe not every door but please do your best to lock as many as you can (with the exception of 1-hit doors) as you go around the map.  There is a good chance that locked door will help save a counselor later in the match. 

Jason is Never Supposed to Slash Kill. NEVER!  - This is what I voted for.  I don't even mind slashers (other than the fact it's kinda lame).  Easier to find a bunch of health sprays than PKs.

Jason Using the Choke Kill is Cheap  - I agree with this somewhat.  Using choke kill or head punch has it's place, but using only that kill is just lame.  I had a 150 Jason kill the entire lobby using one handed choke and it was embarrassing to watch.

Jason Trapping Cabin Windows Very Early in the Match - Go ahead and waste your traps.  Fine by me.

Counselors Shouldn't Set Traps Behind Unlocked Doors or Out in the Open - This I 100% agree with.  If you are setting up traps where counselors could easily step on them you better be communicating that to the rest of the group.

Jason is Obligated to Stand and Fight a Kill Squad - I don't think he has to stand there and fight but he damn well better keep trying to kill everyone.  If you lose your mask it's your own damn fault.  Man up and find a way to kill the rest of the counselors.  Use stalk, shift, morph whatever you have to do to kill them.  Running and hiding in a lake is by FAR the most embarrassing thing you can do as Jason.  If you are the type of person who runs and hides because you don't want to die as Jason you need to grow a thicker skin and stop taking the game so seriously.

Counselors Shouldn't Escape in a Two-Seat Vehicle by Themselves - Whether you stop to pick anyone up depends on game circumstances, whether you are in the 4 seater or 2 seater.

It's Cheating for Jason to Shift Passed a Set Trap (Yes Seriously) - This is definitely the dumbest in the list lol.  I didn't vote for it because I have never heard someone complain about that.

Jason Should Never Spawn Kill - I partially agree with this one.  Considering how much time it can take to find a lobby and wait for everyone to ready up, I do think it is douchey to kill someone in the first couple minutes of the game.  But that's just a personal opinion on this matter.  I don't play as Jason a  lot so sometimes I am guilty of this as well because I just get excited to kill someone the moment I see them. lol

Jason Shouldn't Use Combat Stance to Break Down a Door - Meh.  I don't really care how they break the door down but if they are taking advantage of glitches/tech then ya, I'd have a bit of a problem with it.

Female Counselors Should Never Get the Sweater Before Tommy is on the Map - I agree with this one, somewhat.  If the lobby is a well organized, communicative group then it may make sense.  If some random person goes and grabs the sweater before Tommy is even called then they are just an idiot and will probably die while wearing it.

• Like 2

Spawn Killing - Considering that even the running Jasons are super slow and can easily be avoided.  If you are killed before Jason gets shift you need to get good and stop bitching. And calling it spawn killing is ridiculous because that isn't accurate due to it being a multiplayer first person shooter term. No one is gunning you down as soon as you spawn in. 

Trapping Windows Early - I will trap windows early if I know they will be used. Especially when I am part 2. Again salty players bitching because they need to get gud. Trapping the window closest to the phone box is just a good idea. 

Slashing - This one is asinine and once again is the result of bitchy players who need to get gud. You are playing the king of slashers. Jason has killied more people in slasher films than any other slasher villain. Slash away. 

Shifting over Traps - Again get gud scrub. 

Fighting the Kill Squad - You dont have to fight the kill squad. But its more fun to try. 

The Car - Sometimes you have to GTFO especially when you put the whole thing together yourself. 

Choke kill - Kill how you want. 

Combat Stance to Break Doors - It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Sure you get through the door quicker but you can get your blade stuck or miss. 

No Flashlight - Seriously? Jason has a power that lights you up like a Christmas tree and your fucking worried about using your flashlight. An item that lowers your fear to get your stam to regenerate faster. Get gud. There are reason to tactically turn it off sometimes but the flashlight is useful. 

Must Bar Doors - You dont have to but if you do you live longer. I don't know how many times I found a corpse next to an open door. 

No Sweater till Tommy - Play how you want to play as long as you are not cheating or exploiting. 

The only rule here I agree with is the counselors shouldn't try to trap each other but that is the world we live in. People are assholes sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Play how you want to play as long as you are not cheating or exploiting. 

This to the whole thread. 

• Like 2

It is by no means a rule but it is very helpful. Every single cabin I loot, I trap the door outside, barricade the door and open all windows. It really seems unnecessary, but it takes less than a second and it can literally save someone's ass. Also, it is great when you use those cabins to juke Jason... and more 50 points from the trap is also noice.

I just thought of an unwritten rule that isn't in the list that I probably would have voted for.

Counselors are not allowed to dance, tea-bag or emote at all.

That is one of the top 5 things I see people complain about on this forum.  There are a lot people who don't care if you cheat or slash or exploit glitches but OMG YOU BETTER NOT FUCKING DANCE! lol

I personally liked the addition of emotes.  Even the dancing ones.  If your panties get all bunched up because someone tea-bags you or dances or emotes around you...grow thicker skin and stop taking things so seriously.  I think my favorite part of killing Jason is getting in an emote in the right place at the right time during the killing cut-scene.   Makes for some epic game captures.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Somethin Cool said:

Counselors Shouldn't Use Their Flashlight

Counselors Shouldn't Escape in a Two-Seat Vehicle by Themselves

^^these two are just stupid 🤦‍♀️

Indeed they are. That's why they're on the list.

4 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

No Flashlight - Seriously? Jason has a power that lights you up like a Christmas tree and your fucking worried about using your flashlight. An item that lowers your fear to your stam regenerates faster. Get gud. There are reason to tactically turn it off sometimes but the flashlight is useful. 

I could not have explained this one any better! This is the single most groan inducing option on the list for me. I'll take my stamina regen thank you. If you want to hide behind a tree and pretend turning your flashlight off makes you invisible go right ahead.

5 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

Jason Using the Choke Kill is Cheap  - I agree with this somewhat.  Using choke kill or head punch has it's place, but using only that kill is just lame.  I had a 150 Jason kill the entire lobby using one handed choke and it was embarrassing to watch.

Usually, when you see a 150 doing nothing but choke kills it's because they're anal about their kill count, and don't want to deal with players who leave the second they get grabbed. You can usually get the choke kill off faster than someone can rage, so that's usually why they do it. I personally don't like using choke because it's just plain boring, but it's an absolute necessity if your'e playing Jason. There's way too many instances where you need to get a quick kill. 

5 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

Jason is Obligated to Stand and Fight a Kill Squad - I don't think he has to stand there and fight but he damn well better keep trying to kill everyone.  If you lose your mask it's your own damn fault.  Man up and find a way to kill the rest of the counselors.  Use stalk, shift, morph whatever you have to do to kill them.  Running and hiding in a lake is by FAR the most embarrassing thing you can do as Jason.  If you are the type of person who runs and hides because you don't want to die as Jason you need to grow a thicker skin and stop taking the game so seriously.

I tried to make this prompt as clear as possible, but it doesn't include hiding in the water or rage-quitting since those are 100% bitch moves. This is more regarding kill squads that basically expect Jason to stand around and get treated like a Pinata. If you fall back to regroup at all, oh look, he's running like a little bitch. Some even complain when you go into combat stance which is equally ridiculous. Just because you got the sweater and one of your little squad mates came back as Tommy doesn't mean your entitled to get the kill, you have to earn it. That doesn't mean Jason needs to stand in a circle of four counselors with axes and machetes and go in for a group hug. I'm going to fall back, wait for one of you to separate or fuck up and I'll pick you off that way if I have too. I can't tell you how many times I've broken up kill squads who suddenly emerged from party chat or messaged me after the match bitching about how they would've killed me if I hadn't done this or that. Yeah, you might have, which is exactly why I did what I did. Sorry I wasn't a level 20 noob playing like a robot who you could easily bully or exploit. Yeah, but otherwise I agree. Don't just run, have a plan. Play smart.

And the shifting over the trap thing... Yeah, that's by far the dumbest thing on this list. So mind numbly stupid I almost felt obligated to share it.

2 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

I just thought of an unwritten rule that isn't in the list that I probably would have voted for.

That is one of the top 5 things I see people complain about on this forum.  There are a lot people who don't care if you cheat or slash or exploit glitches but OMG YOU BETTER NOT FUCKING DANCE! lol

I personally liked the addition of emotes.  Even the dancing ones.  If your panties get all bunched up because someone tea-bags you or dances or emotes around you...grow thicker skin and stop taking things so seriously.  I think my favorite part of killing Jason is getting in an emote in the right place at the right time during the killing cut-scene.   Makes for some epic game captures.

Yeah, that's a good one. Didn't really think about it, I guess because I was thinking more tactically. I don't mind emoting at all, especially after a Jason Kill. If that's the case you've actually accomplished something and earned the right to dance. I will say that some people go a little too far with it... Who want to teabag or dance every time Jason gets knocked down or isn't within spitting dancing. Again, I don't really mind. If anything, it tells me who I need to choke kill, because anybody that's cocky enough to dance because they had a pocket knife instead of putting some distance between themselves and Jason is probably the same type of guy whose going to leave the moment they get grabbed or cornered. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RetroJason89 said:

This legit?

This one cracks me up. If Jason fails to kill the counselor inside before they get out, he is trapped in the cabin and used up his shift. That one is a gamble

3 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

I love the Flip Off emote and the Yawn. I'm glad they're in the game

The 2 that stand out for me those who form a kill squad with 5 players or more and expect you to walk right into it, earn the kill! 

I'll shift past a well place trap especially if more than 1 player in the cabin, not noticed anyone have a problem with that. 

I prefer to close and bar doors to cabin simply because it stops a good Jason shifting straight in before you can lock it. Annoying late in a game to climb in a window to find the door is wide open for Jason. 

A bit annoying if you get a Jason trapping every window at the first cabin they get to, just for one kill. Often run out the door once knocked down :)

7 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

I love to dance and kill dancers. It's fun. 

• Like 1

Quick Play lobbies will never agree on any set of rules. Play in such a way that you can live with what you did afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The Spawn Kill one always used to crack me up when people got angry about it.   I get it, sucks to die in the 1st min of the game...but it is what it is.

I've never head of anyone saying Jason is never supposed to Slash kill.     Its usually that Jason players that only slash or use quick Choke that are a problem.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, Alien_Number_Six said:

Slashing - This one is asinine and once again is the result of bitchy players who need to get gud. You are playing the king of slashers. Jason has killied more people in slasher films than any other slasher villain. Slash away.

Slashing is the bitchy kill.. that results in players bitching about it.    

Slashing in this game is the melee attack.  Its got nothing to do with Jason being the king of Slashers or getting gud..    Jason didn't do the same kill over and over again by quick slashing counselors in the movies.  Because if he did.  He would have never been the 'King of Slashers".     

So in this game.. With all the actual cinematic kills (Some involve a slashing animation).    It sucks the fun out of the game when the only thing Jason is doing is melee kills.

Its boring to do as Jason.. Its boring to see as counsellors.   

19 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Its boring to do as Jason

Boring is when you grab someone and they have a PK.

1 hour ago, Carlso said:

Boring is when you grab someone and they have a PK.

Meh..  Eat the pocket knife and grab their ass again...  If they have another PK, eat that too.   A 3rd?  Eat that too..  Then its a all you grab buffet.

Its not 'boring' when they have a PK.  It only sucks if you have them set up for good kill/kill zone.. and you get the PK.   Because that sort of ruins the moment.  

There is zero excuse to slash someone to death unless Jason is forced too.  Or, its Tommy is asking for it.

Melee attacking everyone to death is extremely easy... and boring.  Im not saying its a rule, im saying the Jason player doing that is retarded.

If the game removed all cinematic kills, i wouldn't be playing this game.   So, why would i want to play a game where Jason is playing without cinematic kills.

I think a big part of why people take certain stances on things like spawn killing, slashing etc comes down to why they started playing the game to begin with.

I did not purchase this game because I love how the counselors look like they are made of plastic or the oh-so-smooth gameplay mechanics or the incredible AI in offline bots. lol   I didn't even purchase the game because I am a fan of F13 movies.

I purchased this game because of watching H20's videos and how much fun he and his friends had playing the game.   So I came into the game with the  intent of simply having fun and trying to make it fun for the people I am playing with.  My definition of fun does not necessarily include "winning" or being a "top-level player".  This is why I take a strong stance against things that I find take the fun out of the game and have no time for "try hards" who's only definition of fun is winning and showing off how good they are.

• Like 2