SCREWNUT

Horror Franchises that should be abandoned

Hey guys.  We've all been busying putting in the time as we wait for the release of what will be a kick ass game.  We've talked about the good, the bad and even the lost movies of horror.  It's been fun.  It's nice to see others into horror just as much as me.  However I got to thinking about bad movies.  Not the kind that are so bad they're good.  I'm talking about horror franchises or attempted franchises that should stay dead, buried or forgotten through the test of time.

My two choices would be...

1. Children of the Corn franchise  - The thing who walks between the rows needs to be harvested and never planted again.

2. The Amityville horror - This house needs to be burned downed.  There are so much better haunted houses films these days.  I think it's time to exorcise the demons for good.

3.  Hellraiser series - I know, I'm going to get some hate, but the series is dead.  I feel that Hellraiser 4: Bloodlines ended the franchise in a nice neat little bow, the circle was completed the clockmaker ended the curse.  What followed 4 has been a mess.  

What about you guys, I'm dying to hear your picks.  :)

I hate to say it. But "A Nightmare on Elm Street".

If it has anyone but Robert Englund as Freddy, it just wont work for me.

I think it's safe to say that the Paranormal Activity franchise has truly run its course. And by truly run its course I mean it's overstayed its welcome by like 5 sequels.

probably get hate for this but James bond there is way too many and they keep changing the actor every 5 or 6 movies

probably get hate for this but James bond there is way too many and they keep changing the actor every 5 or 6 movies

Not horror. But good point nonetheless. lol

Not horror. But good point nonetheless. lol

Oh my mistake thought it was just movie franchises must of read it too fast and missed the horror part

Oh my mistake thought it was just movie franchises must of read it too fast and missed the horror part

No worries! :)

Hatchet. And Kane should come back as Jason or abandon F13 too lol. No found footage or space or versus matches or alien slugs.

I think maybe they've also done too many Wrong Turn movies, I enjoyed the first one but that was about it.

The prequels i felt were unnecessary

I hate to say it but i would have to go with most horror franchises at this point. While i love the F13th series and the aNoES series i think both have run their course and at this point any extention via sequel or reboot (Damn you Platinum Dunes) just wont do the originals any justice.

Instead of the movie industry trying to sell a movie on the name and success of classics i wish they would invest more time and money in creating new properties that might turn out to be this generations Jason or Freddy.

Isn't there like 900 final destinations? That should be up there lol

There's only 5 of them and they are all good movies

• Like 1

After looking up sleepaway camp i noticed there is a remake in production as i havent seen them yet not sure if that franchise should be abandoned

There's only 5 of them and they are all good movies

Never got into them for whatever reason. Also for some reason I thought there were way more than 5.

I'm pretty sure that they have stopped with the SAW franchise, but yeah, they should keep it dead. It's done all it needs to.

If you want to do a horror movie that feels like SAW, but isn't, give the movie a different title.

Don't make a shit movie and try to use "SAW", or any other horror franchise for that matter, as some kind of seal of quality you throw onto the movie to get it out there.

If we are including movies that have already presumably been abandoned, but should stay that way - JAWS (even being parodied in Back to the Future II). The sequel was weak and they tried to make up for that with 3-D and then tried to make up for that with a South-Queensland-sized Great White.

Lately, though, and I should have already made a thread for this, but I want to flesh it out, properly - I think some franchises may be better to continue on, or even begin and end in VR "gaming".

I haven't seen a horror movie in so long, that really gets under my skin. In general, I feel that horror movies have gotten to a point, where they might as well be actually beating a dead horse.

Now, 3D horror movies are more miss and less hit, because they're always trying to hard, so it takes you out of the immersion, rather than pulls you in. With VR, you can't really turn away from the screen, lest you take your eyes off what's coming after you, which is never a good idea. It forces you to have to be a participant, rather than a backseat observer, saying that X and Y are a bad idea - Now you get to make poor life choices.

Scary Movie.  We get it, you like making fun of horror movies.  But the shtick gets old fast.

• Like 1

Scary Movie.  We get it, you like making fun of horror movies.  But the shtick gets old fast.

I really like the first 2 but after that they just got worse with each one

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to THE FOREST. because Natalie Dormer and because Japanese Suicide Forest.

The Witch is distributed by A24 and they have an almost flawless trackrecord of quality releases! so i'm watching that too.

the trailer for "the other side of the door" looked surprisingly interesting, despite having probably my most hated TV Actress in the lead role....

the rest can fuck off

Even more amongst these...

12322459_1086567871375542_34482790420413

I'm an odd duck.  ha ha.  Cause I'm excited for "THE PURGE: 3" and  "THE CONJURING 2".  Loved the first two purge movies and really enjoying the whole concept cause as a Canadian and looking from the outside on the United States with all your troubles and problems...I hate to say it, but I can see this happening.  I know, I'm sad for thinking like this but somedays it really looks like you guys are just few guns away from total meltdown.

I loved the first  Conjuring movie.  I loved the tie in to real life events and real life paranormal investigators.  Famous paranormal investigators to boot.  It's a nice refreshing franchise that will hopefully lead to a couple more movies being made based on the experiences of Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was interesting.  Adding the zombie element was way more exciting the second time I read the book...course the first time was for my Grade 11 English Class...what a horrible book to do a report on.   I don't know how I feel about the movie.  Maybe it will be okay....maybe not.  I'll wait for the trailers to come out.

Anyways to add another franchise that needs to die, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Enough.  The only guy I want to see weilding a chainsaw these days is Bruce Campbell!  :D