Tech or Cheat?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think things like the Speed Shift or Ghosting are?

• Techs
    • Cheats

There are certain glitches you can abuse as Jason that allows you to do certain things more easily and certain things that you shouldn't be able to do in the first place. I am talking about Speed Shift, Ghosting, Double Tap, and Abduction. For those who are unfamiliarized:

Speed Shift: Glitch that makes shift start faster and increases the distance of the shift traveling. It makes grabbing counselors extremely easy.

Abduction: Makes you teleport to another place while killing someone. This basically doesn't let the counselor hit you when you grab someone, and when you teleport to the water, pocket knives lose their effect.

Ghosting: Jason becomes invisible, but he can still grab and moves slowly and very strangely. It doesn't work with Savini and Part 2. 

Double Tap: Makes breaking doors a little bit faster.

There are many more, but those are the main ones.

I've seen people in this forum referring to those as "pro-Jason techs" and I was quite surprised. For me those were always cheats and I don't see why should anyone be proud of winning by using glitches. 

Tech comes from technique, so it's something you need to learn before being able to pull off. Cheats are something that is against the rules or something that should not happen. Some cheats are complicated and the cheater needs to learn something, like creating your own communication system to cheat on a test, but because it goes against the rules, it is cheating and not tech.

Do you need to have vast knowledge and practice to do those things? Yes. Are glitches supposed to be a thing on the core rules of the game? No. Are those things glitches? Yes. That's why I think those are cheats.

There are also cheats that don't need glitch abuse, like using the car to block the entrance of a one door cabin. That way you can get off the car, enter by using a window; but Jason will be not able to get in because the car is blocking his way in, basically a guaranteed survival by night win. The thing about that is: you were not supposed to do that. The car was made so you can escape by driving it and not doing that, that's why I think this is a cheat even though it's an "in-game mechanic".

That is what I want to discuss here! Is glitch abuse legal? Is everything possible to do an in-game mechanic? What is considered tech, cheat, and fair play? Of course, you can do those things in a private lobby, but is it ok to do those in a pub lobby?

I personally think that those are cheats and not pro techs as I said before, but am I wrong? I would like to hear other opinions about that. I know there are some people here in the forum that know many more things about this stuff and most of them were allowed in some tournaments, so it could be a thing

This video shows them all. If you don't know these "techs", see and tell me what you think (if you want to):

Cheats. The game is meant to be reminiscent of the F13 movies. Nowhere in any movie does Jason grab someone and then teleport. The other ones go against the intended game design. Shift is meant to be a certain speed, etc.

• Like 4

Definitely cheating. Pro-tech is mostly just a term used by cheaters who want to convince themselves they're not cheating. If they'd spend as much time learning how to play Jason as they do learning how to do these 'techniques', maybe they'd be good enough as Jason not to have to use cheats. The only occasion I find using most of these appropriate in Pub lobby's is if the counselors are cheating themselves, then all bets are off. Then it's no different than rage shifting up to the roof on Packanack to surprise a group of fuck-tards who thought they were safe up there. I have less of a problem with abduction than some of the others depending on how it's used. It's a good way to stick it to an obnoxious troll. 

That being said, I've played this game a lot and double-tap is the only one of these I've actually personally experienced in a match. Just like I've never experienced the PK exploit as Jason, and just ran into my first teleporting counselor a couple of days ago. Disappointing too, it was a really good chase that I was enjoying. Was even gona let the bitch live until he just had to show off that he could cheat. Wound up chocking him to death the second I got my hands on him again instead. 

Love the Lachappa pic by the way. He truly is the unsung beast of Friday of the 13th the Game.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

Love the Lachappa pic by the way. He truly is the unsung beast of Friday of the 13th the Game.

Haha, thanks man really appreciate it!

I really think it's important to distinguish pro techs and cheats. Although cheaters use the term "tech" for cheats, techs are not cheats in my view. Pro techs are, for example: see the Tommy house on the cutscene and destroy the electrical box, U-turn to stun Jason, "quick scope" on the throwing knife.

Besides techs, and don't know really how to call them. Is there any other name for techniques that are not cheats?

Certain things are shitty to do, but what is the harm in double tapping? And how do YOU know that double tap is not an intended mechanic? It was actually possible to do, even before shift grabbing was a thing....also counselors can double tap, so it's not exclusive to one party and certainly doesn't break the game or give one side a clear advantage.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, hab007GE said:

Certain things are shitty to do, but what is the harm in double tapping? And how do YOU know that double tap is not an intended mechanic? It was actually possible to do, even before shift grabbing was a thing....also counselors can double tap, so it's not exclusive to one party and certainly doesn't break the game or give one side a clear advantage.  

First, love your channel.

Second, yes there are plenty of things that counselors do that I don't think it's fair. Like double-tap to stun Jason out of other stun animation or the spray animation cancel with combat stance dodge. 

Other things that are not really cheating, but are very unfair by the counselors' side, like abusing the lack of invincibility frames after the animations of kills or stuns to inflict damage and even stun Jason one more time. It's incredibly fun for the counselor, but very frustrating for Jason, I personally just do it if I want to troll my friends

Everybody knows that Jason needs and deserves more invincibility frames. Can it be considered an exploit? I don't think so, but it is lame.

3 minutes ago, hab007GE said:

No, it's not an intended mechanic. For one, he specified breaking down doors faster, which counselors obviously can not do, so that is an advantage for Jason especially if you're running 8, 4, or Savinni. As someone who runs Part 8 a lot and doesn't use exploits, I do find it annoying that one my Jason's strengths can essentially be somewhat negated by a Jason without destruction.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Cheats. The game is meant to be reminiscent of the F13 movies. Nowhere in any movie does Jason grab someone and then teleport. The other ones go against the intended game design. Shift is meant to be a certain speed, etc.

Everything here. ☝️😊

• Like 1

Kind of pointless actually to discuss this. The devs have made their stand on exploits and they consider them a non bannable offense.It's very unlikely that any of these will get fixed even though they claim they are fixing the "sliding" exploit in the next patch but I'm not holding my breath, they still haven't fixed the random glitch yet.In order to eliminate all the "tech" things would require a ton of recoding to the control mechanics. This stage of the game, probably not going to happen. We can say yes it's cheating but nothing is going to be done about it probably so we are stuck dealing with them.The devs can't all of a sudden do a 180 and start banning just about everyone for every exploit, there would be no player base left especially on PC. Jasonkillsbugs would be flooded with reports not that they do much anyway  even with legitimate hackers, I've already proven that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

Definitely cheating. Pro-tech is mostly just a term used by cheaters who want to convince themselves they're not cheating.

That pretty much sums it up.

I have heard various reasons why people use glitches/tech/whatever and some of them may even be justified.  But justified cheating is still cheating none the less.

Only time I have purposely cheated was when you could cancel your window jumps.  It was just so easy to do and you could have so much fun with it.  Flying out of a window and tagging Jason with a bat as you land was brilliant.  But there was never any doubt that I was a cheating little b*tch.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TimDuke 01 said:

non bannable offense

That was never the point. I don't care if they get banned or not. I was just concerned because some people think cheating is pro-tech and I wanted to know what the majority thinks about that, and also read different opinion about that. As I said here: 

7 hours ago, Carlso said:

That is what I want to discuss here! Is glitch abuse legal? Is everything possible to do an in-game mechanic? What is considered tech, cheat, and fair play? Of course, you can do those things in a private lobby, but is it ok to do those in a pub lobby?

Funny that when exploits are complained, it focused on Jason's.  I'd argue that counselor exploits impact the game much greater than "tools" granted by J-exploits.  Coming from an genre which it's community generally welcomes new finds, intended by the initial game design or not, I'm biased of the opinion that "tech" or what others call "exploits" should be weighted out over time before conclusively deciding if they have an overall negative effect or not. 

• Like 1

Obviously the poll shows the majority consider them "cheats" but there is nothing we can do about it but live with them. Will they fix them? probably not. Jin pointed out there are counselor tech/cheats as well. People are going to use them regardless because there is no penalty. PC is by far the worst plus we have hackers to deal with and most of those don't get penalties either.

Do "techs"/cheats have an overall positive or negative effect on the game, in your view?

I'm kind of surprised. I've seen people saying in other topics of the forum that those are fair pro knowledge and being proud of knowing and doing then. I bet you guys also have been seeing it. Where are those people now??

Probably in a private lobby somewhere trying to figure out which rocks they can climb up and hide for twenty minutes, or to see if there's still a way to get up on the roof at Packanack, or practicing their teleporting, since they probably consider that crap pro knowledge too. You can debate abduction and double tap, but you're never going to convince me ghosting or speed-shifting are legit tactics. If they're proud of needing to cheat or exploit to win then well... Whatever they need to do to feel better about themselves I guess.

It's all cheats. I don't use such, and typically avoid players that do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I use Speed-Shifting (I prefer to call it "Instant-Shifting", Side-Shifting (sometimes called Wedge-Shifting) and 3rd Person Shifting (a.k.a. "Wobble-Shifting" regularly. I only use Abduction if the counselor in question is "giving up", or if I don't plan on killing them for whatever reason (for example, if the entire lobby sans one person quits, I tell the last remaining counselor to escape, he steps in a trap without med spray and gets crippled with the nearest spray being way over on the other side of the map, I'll Abduct him/her right to it and save them the trouble of doing the gimp-walk all the way over there). I'll use Double-Tap in offline bots, but after trying several times in live games, I've concluded that my connection is simply too wonky to time it consistently and thus it's faster to just break it down the old-fashioned way. The TK animation-cancel IS used, but only in one specific circumstance (if some asshat keeps hitting/trying to hit me when collecting knives, I'll wait until they've close by and use it to bait them into going for a cheap shot but then turn and grab them).

The various Shift-types I honestly don't consider a cheat. Everything else, well... yes, those are cheats. You can call them "tech" or "advanced gameplay techniques" if you want, but it's the same thing as calling a pedophile a "Maturity-challenged affection aficionado"... a pretty name for an ugly thing. 

Last night, my little group was going around killing Jason's and had a Sivini Jason cheating his bitch-ass off.  Constant Shifting (not Shifting then going into Stalk or Shifting and then Morphing, this fuckboi was literally trying to Shift-Grab us every few seconds), Ghosting (he wasn't moving, just more-or-less staying in "Morph limbo" hoping one of us would run up and try to hit him), etc... Unfortunately, the girl who decided to grab the sweater beat our designated Sweater-Girl to it and ended up getting her dumb ass killed. Immediately after the kill animation finishes, we break his mask. If that dumb motherfucker had stayed alive 10 more seconds, we'd have got him, but nooooooooo.... she runs right up to a blocking Jason and starts wailing on him while both of us were flashing our lights at her trying to get her to stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

If that dumb motherfucker had stayed alive 10 more seconds, we'd have got him, but nooooooooo.... she runs right up to a blocking Jason and starts wailing on him while both of us were flashing our lights at her trying to get her to stop.

Mics are a wonderful thing.

3 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I use Speed-Shifting (I prefer to call it "Instant-Shifting", Side-Shifting (sometimes called Wedge-Shifting) and 3rd Person Shifting (a.k.a. "Wobble-Shifting" regularly. I only use Abduction if the counselor in question is "giving up", or if I don't plan on killing them for whatever reason (for example, if the entire lobby sans one person quits, I tell the last remaining counselor to escape, he steps in a trap without med spray and gets crippled with the nearest spray being way over on the other side of the map, I'll Abduct him/her right to it and save them the trouble of doing the gimp-walk all the way over there). I'll use Double-Tap in offline bots, but after trying several times in live games, I've concluded that my connection is simply too wonky to time it consistently and thus it's faster to just break it down the old-fashioned way. The TK animation-cancel IS used, but only in one specific circumstance (if some asshat keeps hitting/trying to hit me when collecting knives, I'll wait until they've close by and use it to bait them into going for a cheap shot but then turn and grab them).

The various Shift-types I honestly don't consider a cheat. Everything else, well... yes, those are cheats. You can call them "tech" or "advanced gameplay techniques" if you want, but it's the same thing as calling a pedophile a "Maturity-challenged affection aficionado"... a pretty name for an ugly thing. 

Last night, my little group was going around killing Jason's and had a Sivini Jason cheating his bitch-ass off.  Constant Shifting (not Shifting then going into Stalk or Shifting and then Morphing, this fuckboi was literally trying to Shift-Grab us every few seconds), Ghosting (he wasn't moving, just more-or-less staying in "Morph limbo" hoping one of us would run up and try to hit him), etc... Unfortunately, the girl who decided to grab the sweater beat our designated Sweater-Girl to it and ended up getting her dumb ass killed. Immediately after the kill animation finishes, we break his mask. If that dumb motherfucker had stayed alive 10 more seconds, we'd have got him, but nooooooooo.... she runs right up to a blocking Jason and starts wailing on him while both of us were flashing our lights at her trying to get her to stop.

Sounds like that random sweater girl may have been the only player not cheating.  So kudos to them I guess.

2 hours ago, RetroJason89 said:

Mics are a wonderful thing.

So is the mute button for those occasions when someone having a mic isn't a wonderful thing.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

Sounds like that random sweater girl may have been the only player not cheating.  So kudos to them I guess.

The counselors weren't cheating.

4 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

The counselors weren't cheating.

The way I look at it is this:  If someone playing as a supernatural, overpowered killing machine is willing to cheat (in 6 different ways by my count) then Im going to assume they will also cheat when they are a scared little teenage counselor running for their life.