Sign in to follow this  
Dolemite

Is the Lawsuit Finally Ending?

23 hours ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

community backlash

That alone is reason enough for most of your major companies to turn their nose up at this franchise. I understand Gun and IllFonic brought on some of the hate themselves because of actions they took (non-communication at certain intervals and prioritizing engine upgrade over content), but for the most part their hands have been tied by the lawsuit and they still are getting chastised for it. The entitlement of some people really baffles me. I mean, are people really this ignorant?

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:21 AM, tyrant666 said:

I agree with a lot of what's been said, but Pappus said it best in his 'death of the game' documentary. Return of investment was always going to kill this game one way or another. Lawsuit or not. The lawsuit just allowed them to push it on the playerbase sooner rather than later that the game was not going to have a bright future in either case.

Part of that is casual players moving onto the next shiny thing, part of that is disgruntled players unhappy with the direction of the game (stuff like Halloween outfits in a F13 game instead of camp counselor outfits, etc no new modes or gameplay mechanics, troll emotes, etc), part of that is players being unhappy with so many exploits and balance problems. Is this a serious game or a comedic troll game you know?

Truth be told, the best thing they did was the content. In terms of actually maintaining the game and fixing it was proven well before the lawsuit to be their greatest weakness. Even if they had gotten to finish the last bit of content, we'd still be here in 2020 on here and reddit talking about...

- Why the new Jason kill scenario is still bugged on Grendel?

- Why counselors can still get on top of the spaceship on Grendel and dance?

- Why do Jason's knives still blow up the space shuttles?

- Why the counselors have Halloween outfits, Pajamas and Space outfits but no actual camp counselor outfits?

- Why its still taking six months between patches that still don't fix everything they say they fix? Whether Illfonic stuck around or whether its Black Tower I might add.

- Why the game has 200 emotes but no new game mode or gameplay mechanics added to the actual base game (the push mechanic and item locator ended up being all we got)?

- Why don't we have more troll maps like Pinehurst Small, Jarvis Small, Grendel Small, etc?

So even if that content managed to get out in 2018, the game would theoretically still be in the same shape in its now, give or take swap out what I mentioned above for other things.

All that said, a lot of people will still give them a pass because the game can still be fun, but I think in the larger scope of things. Whatever reputation they had was hit pretty bad with all the starts and stops, scandals, inattention, etc. If the lawsuit ended within the next year or so, they could probably recoup some of that lost reputation with a farewell dlc of sorts, but they aren't going to do that, because of return of investment (also the contract) and because such a last project would require them to inevitably fix more things they add into the game and at that point, its proven to be their biggest weakness.

So I guess its just enjoy the game while it still has dedicated servers, despite half of what's left of the playerbase being toxic types, because when the game goes full peer to peer. What's left of the playerbase will be at the mercy of the host and his/her goons.

I did hear about most of the scoop coming from Pappus/Aldermach videos and other members of the community. I know history shows the bug and exploiting pandemic will likely stick around and not go anywhere. After paranoia was canned, a few months before the lawsuit, I've come to terms that complete investment and any sort of evolution with this game has been long dead. I'm not even asking for something on Rockstar's level of adding new heists online or Netherrealm's MK Aftermath expansion, just something. That's my big issue . We got a few merchandise like the board game and action figures, which is about the only things keeping the franchise hanged on in relevancy, but if the court battle was ever settled, Gun merely just want to keep this as a money pit instead of doing anything to make the IP worth something again. And there are some shills here that support this behavior could care less as long as they have their action figures and other merchandise.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:43 AM, PackASnack_Lodge said:

Whether people want to accept it or not, this game is hopping on it's last leg. Matt himself has said it "The game is long in the tooth".  I have heard from others that there have been other games that have had new content added to them years later after not having any for a while. Could Gun do this with F13? I think so since we have seen other finished things like Emotes, costumes, kills etc.... however Gun has stated on numerous occasions that they will not go back to the game in regards to content. I understand people want to hold on to this sliver of hope something will change but the writing has been on the wall for a very long time now. They are done with the game in regards to content, as for patches and the continuance of dedicated servers i would have to say that they must be close to an end as well. The funds to support these has to be coming to an end soon since there isn't a revenue stream coming in to further sustain either. Face facts folks, the clock is winding down.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:16 PM, OCT 31 1978 said:

Well said.

Another point is why would any business continue to pay or renew a licensed property.....

(Especially one caught up in a long running lawsuit, That still continues to go on to this day.)

......When they can no longer produce content for monetary gain......

(DLC, maps, characters ....ect. All items that can drive more sales to the game.)

This is literally the definition of bad business.....do People think the servers and continued maintenance of the Game costs nothing? Without continued revenue what profits the developers made Dwindles down to nothing.....remember even though Gun Media made this game as fans for the fans they are a business that hopes to continue making games.....and these games have to be profitable for them to continue to do what they do.

For a company that feels the game is at the end of it's life cycle and can't be profitable in the long run, they didn't seem all too concerned about that when they decided to rereleae a special edition and then move it to the switch. Matt and Wes kept acknowledging and seemed confident about investing in more future horror games, but yet somehow, can't afford to resume the unfinished even after the lawsuit.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, Dragonfire82877 said:

Why? Sean Cunningham couldn't make another Friday the 13th game now even if he wanted to. I personally wouldn't be interested in his game if he could because I wouldn't want to support his greedy ass.

As for Rockstar making a F13 game? I'll pass on that as well. Have fun paying for every individual counselor and Jason variation and their outfits/weapons. They would nickel and dime the hell out of everyone for as long as they could.

9 hours ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

I can Guarantee you regardless of how F13 the game sold, other studio's aren't going to want to touch this IP any time soon simply because of everything that has gone on with this game. All the issues from launch till now, all the controversies, community backlash and behaviour due to various reason as well as what has happened with the lawsuit. No game company is going to want to dive in on an IP that has so many negatives surrounding it. Look at it this way, up until recently no other game company even wanted to bother with an F13 game and if any of the game companies really wanted to make an F13 game don't you think at any point from when the nes game came out back in 1989 to 2017 that someone would have done it? Even with how big the franchise is and how popular it is,  no game studio's took it upon themselves to make an F13 game. Now even when the day comes that another F13 game gets made, i don't see Rockstar getting involved with it, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't another smaller company that ends up doing one.

This IP literally got a new board game and a NCEA figure not too long ago and you all think a gaming company wouldn't touch this? I mean for an IP with "so many negatives surrounding it", Sony sure didn't waste time hiring illfonic to work on the Predator game, a developer that's well known for it's reputation being attached to F13.

Also, you guys remember The Warriors from 1979? Sure it might not have been as popular as F13 in terms of merchandise, movies, the huge fanbase following, etc. Hell, the thought of making a video game based off of that movie never even crossed anyone's minds. Guess what happened? Rockstar revived that sucker and it became a major successful hit.

But somehow, despite of all that, including illfonic tainting the F13 product with performance issues and Sony's poor decision to bring that plague to the Predator IP, you still seriously believe Rockstar wouldn't do F13 justice? If it came down to a gamble, fans would choose Rockstar in a heartbeat. That game till this day still outshines anything they ever accomplished with F13 and Hunting Grounds. There's a reason why so many want to go back and play The Warriors multiple times and why most are begging for a remake version.

9 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

That alone is reason enough for most of your major companies to turn their nose up at this franchise. I understand Gun and IllFonic brought on some of the hate themselves because of actions they took (non-communication at certain intervals and prioritizing engine upgrade over content), but for the most part their hands have been tied by the lawsuit and they still are getting chastised for it. The entitlement of some people really baffle me. I mean, are people really this ignorant?

Well it doesn't help or make the situation better when you have product revolved around a household name and make a decision to not do anything with it even after the lawsuit. That basically means you're holding a valuable part of the IP hostage. To me, that makes them no better Cunningham or Miller. But hey, that's ok. Our future is bright because...fucking NCEA figures for everybody, right? 

sarcasticwow3.gif

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, BugginOut said:

For a company that feels the game is at the end of it's life cycle and can't be profitable in the long run, they didn't seem all too concerned about that when they decided to rereleae a special edition and then move it to the switch.

There is nothing wrong with a business rereleasing a title.
( It was the equivalent of a game of the year edition.)

Or

Porting it to another platform.

(other companies do this all the time with GOTY editions and console exclusives that become available to other platforms.)

It’s Very easy And a good business decision that adds more revenue to the company and keeps the Games profits in the black.

There is however a Very big difference To the above putting money in to generate more revenue compared to Renewing a contract or continuing to pay on a license that you can no longer provide New content or develop Monetized DLC.

Matt and Wes kept acknowledging and seemed confident about investing in more future horror games, but yet somehow, can't afford to resume the unfinished even after the lawsuit.

Of course they are excited about investing in future Horror games it is what they want to do....make games for fans by fans.

It Is not about Being Able to Afford to resume the unfinished work it’s about the threat of start/stop Development and continuing investing in a license that is tied up in legal proceedings that to this day is stilled being fought over.

This IP literally got a new board game and a NCEA figure not too long ago and you all think a gaming company wouldn't touch this? I mean for an IP with "so many negatives surrounding it", Sony sure didn't waste time hiring illfonic to work on the Predator game, a developer that's well known for it's reputation being attached to F13.

I think eventually there will be another game. 
The IP did sell well and even with the issues the game had/ continues to have it’s fun as Hell and has over all made hardcore fans and casuals happy.

The problem is The Rights battle until that is finally undisputedly settled, I don’t see any developers wanting to touch this Franchise.

Also, you guys remember The Warriors from 1979? Sure it might not have been as popular as F13 in terms of merchandise, movies, the huge fanbase following, etc. Hell, the thought of making a video game based off of that movie never even crossed anyone's minds. Guess what happened? Rockstar revived that sucker and it became a major successful hit.

I Agree with you here.....but The Warriors game success came directly from  Rockstar Because of GTA and Manhut......without Those games The Warriors wouldn’t have been a blip On the radar screen.

want to go back and play The Warriors multiple times and why most are begging for a remake version.

This is your opinion.....I liked the warriors it was a great game....but I don’t believe it can complete with the hours of enjoyment I have gotten from F13 the game.....nor do I believe it is leaps and bounds better in anyway.

Well it doesn't help or make the situation better when you have product revolved around a household name and make a decision to not do anything with it even after the lawsuit. That basically means you're holding a valuable part of the IP hostage.

How exactly are they doing that?

They made the Game.

They continue to support it.

They are done making new content.

This happens to many games eventually unfortunately the lawsuit causes this to happen prematurely......what else can be said about it.

They aren’t holding the License from anyone......In fact I am pretty sure they no longer have any type of contract with Sean and Horror INC. presently.....

The problem will follow whoever decided to Acquire the license To make another game......thanks to the rights battle.

To me, that makes them no better Cunningham or Miller. But hey, that's ok. Our future is bright because...fucking NCEA figures for everybody, right? 

sarcasticwow3.gif

Well, for some of us New merchandise is better than no merchandise.

And though it looks like nothing will come of is game.... (or a new Game or a new film.)

Seeing Where Warner Media and Horror Inc is on what items can be released is also good Information for us.....

So Yes!!!  rejoice in What can be released!!!

It may not be what you want and I am sorry about that because I too want more from this game or another.....

But Shitting on others excitement is kind of a Douche thing to do especially in a place where all fans of the franchise gather to be among other fans.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I think eventually there will be another game. 

Well, for some of us New merchandise is better than no merchandise.

I strongly agree with these two points you made.

The sooner the lawsuit is over, the sooner the countdown will begin for something new in the F13 universe, even if that wait is decades.

I'm a patient person. 😎

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BugginOut said:

I never said Rockstar, or any other gaming company wouldn't take on a Friday game. I merely stated that I hope someone like Rockstar, or Epic Games for that matter, doesn't get their hands on it. I know that every game out there has DLCs for purchase, and that's fine. But with companies like Rockstar and Epic Games, that's a "spend to win" type of game. I've seen it first hand with all the "add-on's" and V-Bucks I've had to buy for my son. With a license like F13, they could stand to milk the hell out of players. Think about the possibilities. "Buy this Hockey Mask Pack for $9.99 to customize your Jason." "Buy this weapon pack, the only way to unlock Jason's machete for $9.99.""19.99 per map." It could go on and on. This of course after the $59.99 cost of the game at launch.

@BugginOut, what did you mean by this:

"Well it doesn't help or make the situation better when you have product revolved around a household name and make a decision to not do anything with it even after the lawsuit. That basically means you're holding a valuable part of the IP hostage."

What were they supposed to do with the license after the lawsuit? You do understand that they don't own the licenses, correct? Sean Cunningham was ultimately getting the last say on everything that went into the game. What was Gun and IllFonic supposed to do with the license?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

I never said Rockstar, or any other gaming company wouldn't take on a Friday game. I merely stated that I hope someone like Rockstar, or Epic Games for that matter, doesn't get their hands on it. I know that every game out there has DLCs for purchase, and that's fine. But with companies like Rockstar and Epic Games, that's a "spend to win" type of game. I've seen it first hand with all the "add-on's" and V-Bucks I've had to buy for my son. With a license like F13, they could stand to milk the hell out of players. Think about the possibilities. "Buy this Hockey Mask Pack for $9.99 to customize your Jason." "Buy this weapon pack, the only way to unlock Jason's machete for $9.99.""19.99 per map." It could go on and on. This of course after the $59.99 cost of the game at launch.

Factuals! 

Yes the game did sell well but the amount it sold has been outshined by all the issues/controversies with the game over it's 3 year life. Other companies who would be interested in possibly doing an F13 game would look at both sides. I can tell you that any company looking at both sides of the coin would say that all the issues the game has had and still has, the backlash and confrontations the creators have had with the community, the controversies and lawsuit situation would give them more of a reason to stay away from the license rather than want to go for it. I have no doubt there may be some companies who make look at it as a short term investment and that making huge profits off the franchise over a short period of time might be the better approach. This would make it an easy way to make money while not having to keep your feet in the pool too long and avoid all the same things that happened to this game.

Most people analyzing the last 3 years of the games life only see and talk about all the surface stuff and either don't know or don't want to acknowledge all the other stuff. When it comes to any product and company it is always a good thing to give props when things are done good and handled good but when they aren't  people need to be held accountable for the things that didn't work, went wrong or was handled poorly. This community has an abundance of "Yes" men when it comes to how the game was handled and is being handled as well as disregarding valid criticism's towards Gun and the game. Also just to make it clear, i am not saying everything that was done regarding this game was bad, there is a lot of good with this game but when people criticize with facts and have proof for their arguments they get immediately attacked by the "Yes" men and called toxic trolls. I assure you other game companies are well aware of everything that has happened with this game on all sides and if you think there will be a new F13 game anytime in the near future you are fooling yourselves.

That’s ok. I’ll just be sitting here playing with my OFFICIALLY licensed Friday the 13th board game and figures while watching the new box set with all new artwork and content that somehow were able to be made during this lawsuit instead, and that no one seems to have an answer as to HOW. But yet, we can’t get the content that was already almost finished and advertised for this game.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

That’s ok. I’ll just be sitting here playing with my OFFICIALLY licensed Friday the 13th board game and figures while watching the new box set with all new artwork and content that somehow were able to be made during this lawsuit instead, and that no one seems to have an answer as to HOW. But yet, we can’t get the content that was already almost finished and advertised for this game.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

There's also some new F13th limited edition Nike shoes(coming up in October) and a newly released soundtrack of TNB on vinyl from Waxwork Records with JTM coming at a later date. Both soundtracks are also coming on cd starting this fall from La-La Land Records.

1 hour ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

Well going by what Larry Zerner said on twitter

"Technically, the release of figures of existing characters doesn't violate Victor Miller's rights in the 1st F13 movie, so Neca can do this without getting into trouble. The good news is that I was told a year ago that WB was not allowing new figures. So the fact that WB has changed their mind and is allowing new figures is a good thing. But this does NOT mean that WB is (or can) make a new F13 film."

So what he is saying here is that because Part 7 Jason is already an existing character it doesn't interfere with Miller's rights of the first film, Neca can produce and release him. Also stating that a year ago that WB wasn't allowing new figures but suddenly is allowing it is a good thing though for me this is an odd one. From everything we have seen, once the lawsuit struck down on the franchise there was a cut of date for anything new to be made and until an actual ruling nothing could be made. So in theory regardless if WB wants to change their mind on something it shouldn't simply allow for something to be made now. That decision again should be in the hands of the court.

Now obviously we have seen that a new board game is coming out, the new Film boxset is coming with all previous bonus content released on all other releases but is now including all new bonus features. Now to quote Gun from previous statements when it comes to the game. "We cannot add a rock or tree". This does conflict with what is happening in regards to the film boxset in my opinion. The boxset is getting new features that wasn't there before but the game can't add a rock or a tree that already exists in the game? Now i am not saying i am right in my assessment as i can only go by what we know but it does seem a little strange.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

Well going by what Larry Zerner said on twitter

"Technically, the release of figures of existing characters doesn't violate Victor Miller's rights in the 1st F13 movie, so Neca can do this without getting into trouble. The good news is that I was told a year ago that WB was not allowing new figures. So the fact that WB has changed their mind and is allowing new figures is a good thing. But this does NOT mean that WB is (or can) make a new F13 film."

So what he is saying here is that because Part 7 Jason is already an existing character it doesn't interfere with Miller's rights of the first film, Neca can produce and release him. Also stating that a year ago that WB wasn't allowing new figures but suddenly is allowing it is a good thing though for me this is an odd one. From everything we have seen, once the lawsuit struck down on the franchise there was a cut of date for anything new to be made and until an actual ruling nothing could be made. So in theory regardless if WB wants to change their mind on something it shouldn't simply allow for something to be made now. That decision again should be in the hands of the court.

Now obviously we have seen that a new board game is coming out, the new Film boxset is coming with all previous bonus content released on all other releases but is now including all new bonus features. Now to quote Gun from previous statements when it comes to the game. "We cannot add a rock or tree". This does conflict with what is happening in regards to the film boxset in my opinion. The boxset is getting new features that wasn't there before but the game can't add a rock or a tree that already exists in the game? Now i am not saying i am right in my assessment as i can only go by what we know but it does seem a little strange.

EXACTLY. That’s been my point. Gun’s excuse directly contradicts everything that is happening. Also, the board game is based on the WB Friday the film. 🤷🏼‍♂️

15 minutes ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

EXACTLY. That’s been my point. Gun’s excuse directly contradicts everything that is happening. Also, the board game is based on the WB Friday the film. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The recent things happening definitely makes things confusing for sure and without having an official statement stating how these things a possible with the lawsuit still not decided is just odd considering everything we have heard to this point. As far as everyone knew Once the cutoff date for any form of F13 related products/material/content was reached everyone seemed to state that from that point until the final decision was reached nothing could be done or made. Gun couldn't create/release anything that may have been in the works or completed already, no new movies could be made, Neca had to stop with figures and only what was already in the pipeline could be finished. Now the lawsuit is still not decided and somehow a board game can be made and released, Neca was able to create Part 7 Jason which as they stated wasn't already in production as it was one they were going to start on until they were notified that they had to halt because of the lawsuit and now there is a new Film boxset. I honestly don't understand how WB changing their minds on things can allow for anything to be made since the lawsuit was the reason for the stoppage of everything in the first place and it is still ongoing. Recent developments just contradict everything we have been told up to this point.

2 hours ago, Ralph Voorhees said:

What about Blue Wizard's excuse?

We know Blue Wizard got content done and put into the files leading up to the deadline of the lawsuit stoppage. Outside of that i haven't followed anything they have done or said since then.

Ghost Jason was the last playable Jason added to the game. He was the one that was finished pre-lawsuit and added afterwards. 

I haven't been following Blue Wizard either but coding a simple slide puzzle game with mediocre graphics is probably a ton easier which would explain why they got a bunch of stuff finished before the deadline came into affect but I do know they were affected by the adding content restriction  same as Gun were. It was on several websites.

i dont understand how gun couldnt finish & release work they had already started. they lost time & money working on content that didnt make the "cut off date". thats not right. they should not have had to take that loss. i wish they couldve fought back at least for the content they began already so they didnt have to lose out on that effort. im no law man so of course i dont understand. i also dont know all the details..

i dont blame gun, i blame horror inc. horror inc should have gave gun the ok to finish what they started, & took responsibility for any legal matters gun mightve faced. i dont know if it works like that but seems like if ya got alotta money you can get away with whatever you want.. 

cunningham... ugh. you suck dude. tellin wes craven, rest his soul, that nightmare on elm street was a bad idea... good gravy thats the man in charge of jason.....ugh.. no wonder this happened -yack- 

gun media/illfonic, thank you for this wonderful game. you guys/gals rule, mistakes/misfortunes or not. you made the sloppiest masterpiece ever created. when i first laid my eyes apon your vision, i was like "whoa... im here.. im at crystal lake..."

horror inc...  god damn you...

(thats from halloween 4)

just my opinion.. feel free to go strigoi on my ass if i got something wrong 👍

• Like 2

Upon further digging, all the new stuff coming out, the board game, figures, puzzles, box set, and MANY other things I found coming out are all licensed by New Line and Warner Bros. So take that however you want. Whatever it means. But several officially licensed products are continuing to be released. 

The game would have been fixed by now. Sure they can't add a rock or stone. So what prevents them from taking the code and finetuning it... Even if it's only for 1 platform. 

It's even made in one of the best documented engines ever... Weird.

Plenty devs are willing to fix this mess just for the love of Jason. I say release the source code, and activate the Unreal editor/Dedicated servers. Let the fans pickup were Gun/Illfonic dropped the work. That's not even new content...as it's already in the package... It's the least they can do...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hemi said:

Let the fans pickup were Gun/Illfonic dropped the work. That's not even new content...as it's already in the package... It's the least they can do...

When you are dealing with a IP and licensing I don''t think it's that black and white there is a ton of gray area same applies to that board game and box set. I'm sure they found a loop hole around Victor being able to claim anything.WB isn't stupid they know what can be done and what can't.I have to be careful having a General Lee replica.WB still holds the trademarks to that car but I'm ok as long as I'm not claiming it is a genuine WB car and not making any money with it. Wish I had a Hemi in my car.LOL