Sign in to follow this  
Dolemite

Is the Lawsuit Finally Ending?

In the end people should have given up asking and hoping for any content being released for this game. Even for content that we have seen that is completed they are not going to see the light of day except for on pc for obvious reasons. When the lawsuit reaches it's end and the announcement is made public, the situation with the game will remain the same. I don't understand how anyone can keep any form of hope or keep asking for content to be released or for Gun to have a dev team to resume content. As they have stated on numerous occasions "You can't just go back to an old game and work on it, that isn't how games work"

1 hour ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

In the end people should have given up asking and hoping for any content being released for this game. Even for content that we have seen that is completed they are not going to see the light of day except for on pc for obvious reasons. When the lawsuit reaches it's end and the announcement is made public, the situation with the game will remain the same. I don't understand how anyone can keep any form of hope or keep asking for content to be released or for Gun to have a dev team to resume content. As they have stated on numerous occasions "You can't just go back to an old game and work on it, that isn't how games work"

I think maybe hope is something good to hold on to for alot of players, 100% I do believe nothing will happen to the game once the lawsuit is settled. THIS game is dead, they're done.But the base formula of the game is good, when you don't have toxic players in the session, it's fun. They could take this and give it to a new studio to develop a new entry like a 1.5 sorta thing. Give it a sequel all the players deserve. Regardless of the final decision of the lawsuit. Both parties would be stupid not to do anything with this content. Imagine how awesome it would that in a couple of years time we get a new version for PS5/XSX. If it ever happens....good lord, the stamina system needs a good kick up it's backside haha I hope one day we get a sequel with a new studio behind it who can make the game flourish. 

It took 30 years to go from one F13 game to another F13 game...what makes anyone think we'll be getting another F13 game of any variety?

I said it before, once the lawsuit clears up, if Dead By Daylight is still a thing and going on Jason will be licensed to be put in that game. 

17 minutes ago, SirMang said:

It took 30 years to go from one F13 game to another F13 game...what makes anyone think we'll be getting another F13 game of any variety?

I said it before, once the lawsuit clears up, if Dead By Daylight is still a thing and going on Jason will be licensed to be put in that game. 

to be fair...most films back then got a awful game upon release lol 

We now have a genre that is popular with gamers, so the idea of them going back to this type of game isn't that hard to believe once things are settled in a few years or so.

Dead By Daylight is the safest bet, of course it is. We shouldn't dismiss the idea that maybe one day, they might consider giving the game another go, just this time with plenty of post release content lol

Just now, LostDEKU said:

Dead By Daylight is the safest bet, of course it is. We shouldn't dismiss the idea that maybe one day, they might consider giving the game another go, just this time with plenty of post release content lol

It's a much easier and safer proposition to just add Jason and one Crystal Lake map into an already existing, thriving and profitable game than to try to make a whole new IP based around him.  I give the people at Gun and IllFonic credit for giving this a go and having it turn out as well as did.  Of course it could have been a lot better, there's no disputing that.  However, it could have turned into that steaming pile of crap that Last Year-The Nightmare turned into.

1 minute ago, SirMang said:

It's a much easier and safer proposition to just add Jason and one Crystal Lake map into an already existing, thriving and profitable game than to try to make a whole new IP based around him.  I give the people at Gun and IllFonic credit for giving this a go and having it turn out as well as did.  Of course it could have been a lot better, there's no disputing that.  However, it could have turned into that steaming pile of crap that Last Year-The Nightmare turned into.

Oof! I had such high hopes for Last Year....Then they basically went dark and ruined it for themselves haha 

It's a shame, I think F13 and DBD are really the only games in this genre that have done it well...the rest since are just dreadful, it's a shame the lawsuit happened when it did and stopped all future content.

• Like 1

I Just wish Sean Cunningham would get bombarded with fan mail asking him for a complete full huge NEW Friday the 13th game with full campaign story mode and online multiplayer with all maps.

I Wish Sean Cunningham would find a new producer and design team like ROCKSTAR NORTH To create a totally new Friday the 13th video game.

15 hours ago, Strigoi said:

DAMN Why cant anyone see that my post is talking about a totally new game not new content for Gun medias Friday the 13th.

Im simply saying that if a new board game and action figures are being made why cant A DIFFERENT COMPANY LIKE ROCKSTAR NORTH CREATE A NEW FRIDAY THE 13TH GAME.

If fans asked Sean Cunningham to make a bigger Friday the 13th game by another big time company who has more money and resources to make it bigger and better.

Anyone could design a game right now. There's nothing stopping the creative process. However, to release a game on the market, you would have to have licensing rights of the intellectual property. The legal battle is to decide which rights the parties in dispute have claim to. Until that happens, no new games can be made for purchase by anyone. Anything that is coming out in the near future may have different circumstances involved.

8 hours ago, SirMang said:

The future is unwritten. While it's less likely we'll see another installment of an F13 game, it's not impossible.

Jason could end up on DBD if the lawsuit is resolved in a reasonable time frame. We'll have to wait and see.

8 hours ago, LostDEKU said:

to be fair...most films back then got a awful game upon release lol 

We now have a genre that is popular with gamers, so the idea of them going back to this type of game isn't that hard to believe once things are settled in a few years or so.

Those games seemed awful by comparison now. Some players back then we're grateful to have those games, even if they were far from ideal, because that's all they had.

I agree that this F13 experience could open the door for about 30 or so other games of similar styles.

7 hours ago, Strigoi said:

I Just wish Sean Cunningham would get bombarded with fan mail asking him for a complete full huge NEW Friday the 13th game with full campaign story mode and online multiplayer with all maps.

I Wish Sean Cunningham would find a new producer and design team like ROCKSTAR NORTH To create a totally new Friday the 13th video game.

Harassing Cunningham with spam mail would serve zero purpose. He knows how the fans feel, but doesn't seem to really be in the mood to care, as the lawsuit is still going on. The same could be said about Miller.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 6:09 PM, Dolemite said:

You should have posted the rest of his tweets in that thread. Basically, he said that WB has lifted restrictions on merchandise based on the existing films - including figures - since it has been determined that the only things that could be considered in violation of Victor Miller's rights would be completely new creations in the Friday the 13th universe. So no new movies, but merchandise is a go.

To each their own, but new figures/re-releases of existing movies and no new films/video games doesn't excite me.

• Thanks 1

Wow, a new NECA Jason figure that's going to change nothing about the lawsuit or the game, so....excited.

tenor.gif?itemid=4765221

20 hours ago, NightofthePodcast said:

Did anyone see the post on Reddit? 

"Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business.”

Do these guys not know GTA V online is continuing to get new DLC despite it being about 8 years old now? I mean, yes resuming is bad business if you look at it from a declining player base point of view then the servers could get shut off, therefore, ending the entire game completely. But hypothetically speaking, if Victor/Sean managed to settle and the game's player base was still going strong, I don't see what would stop them from resuming the unreleased content like Grendel/Uber. If Rockstar can do it, then they can do it too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

“Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business.”

Complete bullshit.

This is literally just them saying "We could renew the license if we can but lol why would we it's BAD bUSinESs"

No Friday the 13th is not as popular as Fortnite, but do you think if Fornite got hit with a lawsuit that would stop development ; would stop the development after its over? Fuck no, bad business is a wimpy phrase. It sounds like "We don't want to lose money after we earned so much of it now that we're rich assholes from a franchise we don't even own idiots LOL"

If DBD got hit with this what would they do? I'm not sure but I sure as hell know they wouldn't puss out and stop making content. All in all because of their failure to continue this game it ruins the Friday the 13th franchise in gaming and will forever have this reputation thanks to Gun Media handling this the way they did. I wouldn't be suprised if Cunningham or Victor ended up suing Gun Media for damages. Dead by Daylight will now and always be the most iconic horror multiplayer for the last gen and upcoming gen of consoles and gaming in general and any attempts will mostly be laughable, and I don't even play DBD like that.

I'd prefer if they would just close the game completely and take down DLC that they're earning money off of.

I'm so pressed about this, it's complete literal bullshit, They're a terrible company and I will refuse supporting any of their future endeavors which are still not ever going to be made, and will never be nearly as successful and will be more of a "bad business" endeavor than them continuing the support and content for this game. (Knowing there is most likely to not be any other lawsuit with the franchise from this point on specifically from the "person" as you generally cannot sue twice) No we don't want a Horror multiplayer game that won't be similar to Friday the 13th, WE WANT FRIDAY THE 13TH or a knock-off of some sort or something that at least has the same essence. Also mark my words, their next game will most likely have much more monetization than Friday the 13th. I already know they'll be greedy.

Not to mention why not disclose the progress with the projects your working on? I'm sure if you did that it would make a lot less people upset about this by letting us see progress. Friday the 13th started development roughly around mid to late 2015 and was released in mid 2017. The lawsuit officially has been 2 years from now, and you talk about developing a new horror multiplayer game, and it's already been maybe 1 to 1 1/2 years from possible development and i'm sure Gun Media has expanded. Where's at least the details to the next game that your working on? There is no hype, there's nothing there other than the fact that your a gaming company and what do you know you make games woodpidoo. The secrecy is just pissing people off. 

As said by Wes Keltner in an article (that I probably can't link...)

"The total we spent creating this game, would only cover half the animation budget for AAA games. But we made the most with what we had. As for being profitable, we were in the black quickly. However, we have reinvested that profit directly back into F13 in the form of new content (maps, characters, etc) and our ongoing server costs.”

So... Your willing to keep up server costs to leach off a dead project and release a nintendo switch version (to make more money knowing your not making content) instead of reinvesting in your most successful and probably forever most successful game pretty much... nice. They're done investing their time into this game and it's literally beyond embarrassing for them and sad for us.

Will I play their next game if it looks good? Yes. Do I hope they take their time if they believe in their next project as much as they so easily dropped a game like F13? Hell yeah it better be fucking fantastic.  Will that get rid of my opinion on them? No, but over time it's better to forgive and forget, and this might just look like a shitpost in who knows... maybe a year or two from now when their next game releases. For now though this is my opinion. Time is of the essence and you can't leach off of a dropped game for very long.

They made their money and they dipped on a successful project, that in itself is bad business Gun Media. Not to mention the lack of passion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, BugginOut said:

Wow, a new NECA Jason figure that's going to change nothing about the lawsuit or the game, so....excited.

tenor.gif?itemid=4765221

"Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business.”

Do these guys not know GTA V online is continuing to get new DLC despite it being about 8 years old now? I mean, yes resuming is bad business if you look at it from a declining player base point of view then the servers could get shut off, therefore, ending the entire game completely. But hypothetically speaking, if Victor/Sean managed to settle and the game's player base was still going strong, I don't see what would stop them from resuming the unreleased content like Grendel/Uber. If Rockstar can do it, then they can do it too.

2 hours ago, Jax00 said:

“Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business.”

Complete bullshit.

This is literally just them saying "We could renew the license if we can but lol why would we it's BAD bUSinESs"

No Friday the 13th is not as popular as Fortnite, but do you think if Fornite got hit with a lawsuit that would stop development ; would stop the development after its over? Fuck no, bad business is a wimpy phrase. It sounds like "We don't want to lose money after we earned so much of it now that we're rich assholes from a franchise we don't even own idiots LOL"

If DBD got hit with this what would they do? I'm not sure but I sure as hell know they wouldn't puss out and stop making content. All in all because of their failure to continue this game it ruins the Friday the 13th franchise in gaming and will forever have this reputation thanks to Gun Media handling this the way they did. I wouldn't be suprised if Cunningham or Victor ended up suing Gun Media for damages. Dead by Daylight will now and always be the most iconic horror multiplayer for the last gen and upcoming gen of consoles and gaming in general and any attempts will mostly be laughable, and I don't even play DBD like that.

I'd prefer if they would just close the game completely and take down DLC that they're earning money off of.

I'm so pressed about this, it's complete literal bullshit, They're a terrible company and I will refuse supporting any of their future endeavors which are still not ever going to be made, and will never be nearly as successful and will be more of a "bad business" endeavor than them continuing the support and content for this game. (Knowing there is most likely to not be any other lawsuit with the franchise from this point on specifically from the "person" as you generally cannot sue twice) No we don't want a Horror multiplayer game that won't be similar to Friday the 13th, WE WANT FRIDAY THE 13TH or a knock-off of some sort or something that at least has the same essence. Also mark my words, their next game will most likely have much more monetization than Friday the 13th. I already know they'll be greedy.

Not to mention why not disclose the progress with the projects your working on? I'm sure if you did that it would make a lot less people upset about this by letting us see progress. Friday the 13th started development roughly around mid to late 2015 and was released in mid 2017. The lawsuit officially has been 2 years from now, and you talk about developing a new horror multiplayer game, and it's already been maybe 1 to 1 1/2 years from possible development and i'm sure Gun Media has expanded. Where's at least the details to the next game that your working on? There is no hype, there's nothing there other than the fact that your a gaming company and what do you know you make games woodpidoo. The secrecy is just pissing people off. 

As said by Wes Keltner in an article (that I probably can't link...)

"The total we spent creating this game, would only cover half the animation budget for AAA games. But we made the most with what we had. As for being profitable, we were in the black quickly. However, we have reinvested that profit directly back into F13 in the form of new content (maps, characters, etc) and our ongoing server costs.”

So... Your willing to keep up server costs to leach off a dead project and release a nintendo switch version (to make more money knowing your not making content) instead of reinvesting in your most successful and probably forever most successful game pretty much... nice. They're done investing their time into this game and it's literally beyond embarrassing for them and sad for us.

Will I play their next game if it looks good? Yes. Do I hope they take their time if they believe in their next project as much as they so easily dropped a game like F13? Hell yeah it better be fucking fantastic.  Will that get rid of my opinion on them? No, but over time it's better to forgive and forget, and this might just look like a shitpost in who knows... maybe a year or two from now when their next game releases. For now though this is my opinion. Time is of the essence and you can't leach off of a dropped game for very long.

They made their money and they dipped on a successful project, that in itself is bad business Gun Media. Not to mention the lack of passion.

I agree with a lot of what's been said, but Pappus said it best in his 'death of the game' documentary. Return of investment was always going to kill this game one way or another. Lawsuit or not. The lawsuit just allowed them to push it on the playerbase sooner rather than later that the game was not going to have a bright future in either case.

Part of that is casual players moving onto the next shiny thing, part of that is disgruntled players unhappy with the direction of the game (stuff like Halloween outfits in a F13 game instead of camp counselor outfits, etc no new modes or gameplay mechanics, troll emotes, etc), part of that is players being unhappy with so many exploits and balance problems. Is this a serious game or a comedic troll game you know?

Truth be told, the best thing they did was the content. In terms of actually maintaining the game and fixing it was proven well before the lawsuit to be their greatest weakness. Even if they had gotten to finish the last bit of content, we'd still be here in 2020 on here and reddit talking about...

- Why the new Jason kill scenario is still bugged on Grendel?

- Why counselors can still get on top of the spaceship on Grendel and dance?

- Why do Jason's knives still blow up the space shuttles?

- Why the counselors have Halloween outfits, Pajamas and Space outfits but no actual camp counselor outfits?

- Why its still taking six months between patches that still don't fix everything they say they fix? Whether Illfonic stuck around or whether its Black Tower I might add.

- Why the game has 200 emotes but no new game mode or gameplay mechanics added to the actual base game (the push mechanic and item locator ended up being all we got)?

- Why don't we have more troll maps like Pinehurst Small, Jarvis Small, Grendel Small, etc?

So even if that content managed to get out in 2018, the game would theoretically still be in the same shape in its now, give or take swap out what I mentioned above for other things.

All that said, a lot of people will still give them a pass because the game can still be fun, but I think in the larger scope of things. Whatever reputation they had was hit pretty bad with all the starts and stops, scandals, inattention, etc. If the lawsuit ended within the next year or so, they could probably recoup some of that lost reputation with a farewell dlc of sorts, but they aren't going to do that, because of return of investment (also the contract) and because such a last project would require them to inevitably fix more things they add into the game and at that point, its proven to be their biggest weakness.

So I guess its just enjoy the game while it still has dedicated servers, despite half of what's left of the playerbase being toxic types, because when the game goes full peer to peer. What's left of the playerbase will be at the mercy of the host and his/her goons.

• Like 1

He mentions that making new content for a game that was stopped long ago is bad business....but is there any proof of that? Has any other game before done the same thing and failed?

In my head, parts of me thinks that, the announcement that the production of the game can finally continue could bring back some players that ditched the game after content was stopped. If they suddenly came out with a new content pack with costumes etc I would 100% buy it in a heart beat and I'm sure others would feel the same.

Parts of that statement just kinda felt like a slap in the face to the fans that have stayed with the game. It comes across like, give up before trying. I dunno. The whole situation is awful for everyone involved. 

Until then, we are just gonna have to stick with the toxic players until they are the last ones that remain lol

Whether people want to accept it or not, this game is hopping on it's last leg. Matt himself has said it "The game is long in the tooth".  I have heard from others that there have been other games that have had new content added to them years later after not having any for a while. Could Gun do this with F13? I think so since we have seen other finished things like Emotes, costumes, kills etc.... however Gun has stated on numerous occasions that they will not go back to the game in regards to content. I understand people want to hold on to this sliver of hope something will change but the writing has been on the wall for a very long time now. They are done with the game in regards to content, as for patches and the continuance of dedicated servers i would have to say that they must be close to an end as well. The funds to support these has to be coming to an end soon since there isn't a revenue stream coming in to further sustain either. Face facts folks, the clock is winding down.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

Whether people want to accept it or not, this game is hopping on it's last leg. Matt himself has said it "The game is long in the tooth".  I have heard from others that there have been other games that have had new content added to them years later after not having any for a while. Could Gun do this with F13? I think so since we have seen other finished things like Emotes, costumes, kills etc.... however Gun has stated on numerous occasions that they will not go back to the game in regards to content. I understand people want to hold on to this sliver of hope something will change but the writing has been on the wall for a very long time now. They are done with the game in regards to content, as for patches and the continuance of dedicated servers i would have to say that they must be close to an end as well. The funds to support these has to be coming to an end soon since there isn't a revenue stream coming in to further sustain either. Face facts folks, the clock is winding down.

SLASH N CAST Need to interview Sean Cunningham and ask him about another production and design team Making a totally new Friday the 13th game.

Id LIke to see Rockstar North do a Complete HUGE Friday the 13th game.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

Well said.

Another point is why would any business continue to pay or renew a licensed property.....

(Especially one caught up in a long running lawsuit, That still continues to go on to this day.)

......When they can no longer produce content for monetary gain......

(DLC, maps, characters ....ect. All items that can drive more sales to the game.)

This is literally the definition of bad business.....do People think the servers and continued maintenance of the Game costs nothing? Without continued revenue what profits the developers made Dwindles down to nothing.....remember even though Gun Media made this game as fans for the fans they are a business that hopes to continue making games.....and these games have to be profitable for them to continue to do what they do.

3 hours ago, Strigoi said:

SLASH N CAST Need to interview Sean Cunningham and ask him about another production and design team Making a totally new Friday the 13th game.

Id LIke to see Rockstar North do a Complete HUGE Friday the 13th game.

Why? Sean Cunningham couldn't make another Friday the 13th game now even if he wanted to. I personally wouldn't be interested in his game if he could because I wouldn't want to support his greedy ass.

As for Rockstar making a F13 game? I'll pass on that as well. Have fun paying for every individual counselor and Jason variation and their outfits/weapons. They would nickel and dime the hell out of everyone for as long as they could.

2 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Why? Sean Cunningham couldn't make another Friday the 13th game now even if he wanted to. I personally wouldn't be interested in his game if he could because I wouldn't want to support his greedy ass.

As for Rockstar making a F13 game? I'll pass on that as well. Have fun paying for every individual counselor and Jason variation and their outfits/weapons. They would nickel and dime the hell out of everyone for as long as they could.

We'll never have to worry about a company like Rockstar touching this license because they make money into the billions off of their games.  This game, or a variation of it, would never be profitable enough for them to bother. 

2 hours ago, SirMang said:

We'll never have to worry about a company like Rockstar touching this license because they make money into the billions off of their games.  This game, or a variation of it, would never be profitable enough for them to bother. 

Well you may be surprised.

Rockstar North created Manhunt.

Friday the 13th sold very well and sold over seas in Japan,India,England etc.

Friday the 13th the game probably sold just as good as Manhunt or Read dead redemption.

11 hours ago, Strigoi said:

Friday the 13th the game probably sold just as good as Manhunt or Read dead redemption.

Yes we know they made Manhunt...but why Rockstar....there are much better studios out there that can do wonders for F13. 

11 hours ago, Strigoi said:

Considering Red Dead Redemption is number 9 on this list and F13 didn't even make it on the list, I think you are wrong.

CD Projekt  Red(Witcher Series) could probably do wonders with a F 13 game. I think they are better than Rockstar.

12 hours ago, Strigoi said:

I can Guarantee you regardless of how F13 the game sold, other studio's aren't going to want to touch this IP any time soon simply because of everything that has gone on with this game. All the issues from launch till now, all the controversies, community backlash and behaviour due to various reason as well as what has happened with the lawsuit. No game company is going to want to dive in on an IP that has so many negatives surrounding it. Look at it this way, up until recently no other game company even wanted to bother with an F13 game and if any of the game companies really wanted to make an F13 game don't you think at any point from when the nes game came out back in 1989 to 2017 that someone would have done it? Even with how big the franchise is and how popular it is,  no game studio's took it upon themselves to make an F13 game. Now even when the day comes that another F13 game gets made, i don't see Rockstar getting involved with it, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't another smaller company that ends up doing one.