Sign in to follow this  
Dolemite

Is the Lawsuit Finally Ending?

At SDCC at Home today, NECA announced a new Friday the 13th Part 7 Jason figure. I assume this means that the lawsuit is finally coming to an end??

Link: https://news.toyark.com/2020/07/23/neca-san-diego-comic-con-2020-thursday-reveals-announcements-and-previews-horror-collectibles-396032

Now, I have no illusions that this means that we're ever getting any new content for the game, but I figured that this news was big enough that I would share it here. If this is not the right part of the forum to do so, I apologize.

But still great news, and the figure looks fucking awesome.

• Like 2

@Dolemite, I shared this in Off Topic as well. This is huge news! Jason 7 was the next figure NECA was going to do before the lawsuit hit. Roy, Corpse Pamela and FvsJ Jason were the last ones in production when the lawsuit stopped them, that’s why they were given the green light. Something had to change with the lawsuit to allow Jason 7. He wasn’t in production when they were told to stop. 

@mattshotcha, have you guys heard anything about the lawsuit? Any changes to the limitations?

this is great action figure news.

seems like friday the 13th the game is the only one whos getting the lawsuit shaft, other than a new movie... everything from a new friday the 13th fanny pack (no joke) to a board game, to a near $200 box set.... yet this game, the greatest thing to happen to friday the 13th in like 30 years, has to get the bone!

I don't have any info at all on this topic, lawsuit in regards to Gun and in regards to the figures/box set/board game/fanny packs or whatever else has been spotted.

Sorry gang.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mattshotcha said:

I don't have any info at all on this topic, lawsuit in regards to Gun and in regards to the figures/box set/board game/fanny packs or whatever else has been spotted.

Sorry gang.

Knowing what we know about the lawsuit, Neca would have had to get the approval to go ahead with the Part 7 Ultimate figure. Chances are an official announcement of the lawsuit will be coming.

1 minute ago, PackASnack_Lodge said:

Knowing what we know about the lawsuit, Neca would have had to get the approval to go ahead with the Part 7 Ultimate figure. Chances are an official announcement of the lawsuit will be coming.

That is what I’m thinking. They asked Randy at NECA several months back which Jason figure would be next had the lawsuit not stopped them. 7 was going to be next, but it wasn’t in production at the time, therefore it was a no go. Something had to change. 

@mattshotcha, thanks for responding so quickly. I was hoping you guys might have heard about something going on with the lawsuit since y’all are tangled up in it as well. 

1 minute ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

That is what I’m thinking. They asked Randy at NECA several months back which Jason figure would be next had the lawsuit not stopped them. 7 was going to be next, but it wasn’t in production at the time, therefore it was a no go. Something had to change. 

@mattshotcha, thanks for responding so quickly. I was hoping you guys might have heard about something going on with the lawsuit since y’all are tangled up in it as well. 

Exactly, i wouldn't be surprised if Larry Zerner makes a statement on twitter at some point soon.

No, they still havent made a court decision about the lawsuit.

A month later than expected, still nothing

4 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Obviously, NECA knows something you don't.

1 hour ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

@Dolemite, I shared this in Off Topic as well. This is huge news!

Ah, missed that post. But good news like this should be spread around, yes? :)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Neca had to stop F13 figures because of the lawsuit, they had to get approval and the go ahead to produce and announce the part 7. The only way that happens is if the lawsuit is done. There just hasn't been a formal announcement yet.

It would be nice if the lawsuit is coming to an end soon. I'll hope for the best, as many of us tend to do.

4 hours ago, Tinted said:

Why is the servers for PC messed up?

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, aurllcooljay said:

If I had to guess, some kind of technicality is allowing the creation of another Neca figure.

Anything's possible...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OJ Simpson

Casey Anthony

etc etc

None of the recent/not so recent high profile court cases have the verdict anticipation that Cunningham vs Miller has!

;)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

Doesn't seem like it's anything to get excited about (yet);

You should have posted the rest of his tweets in that thread. Basically, he said that WB has lifted restrictions on merchandise based on the existing films - including figures - since it has been determined that the only things that could be considered in violation of Victor Miller's rights would be completely new creations in the Friday the 13th universe. So no new movies, but merchandise is a go.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dolemite said:

You should have posted the rest of his tweets in that thread. Basically, he said that WB has lifted restrictions on merchandise based on the existing films - including figures - since it has been determined that the only things that could be considered in violation of Victor Miller's rights would be completely new creations in the Friday the 13th universe. So no new movies, but merchandise is a go.

Then that means Sean Cunningham could get another company to create another Friday the 13th video game.

Video games are merchandise.

I Wish there was an email or online petition to Sean Cunningham asking him for more Friday the 13th video game stuff and add on pack dlc disks.

2 hours ago, Strigoi said:

Then that means Sean Cunningham could get another company to create another Friday the 13th video game.

I Wish there was an email or online petition to Sean Cunningham asking him for more Friday the 13th video game stuff and add on pack dlc disks.

No, videogames are not merchandise in that sense. A videogame would constitute a new narrative work, technically speaking, whereas a figure based on an existing Jason design would not.

Sadly, we're not getting any new movies or videogames until after these two crusty old men settle their fucking lawsuit. But hey, I'm just happy NECA can start making Jason figures again.

32 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

But hey, I'm just happy NECA can start making Jason figures again.

Amen!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Strigoi said:

There's no more content coming for this game.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

There's no more content coming for this game.

DAMN Why cant anyone see that my post is talking about a totally new game not new content for Gun medias Friday the 13th.

Im simply saying that if a new board game and action figures are being made why cant A DIFFERENT COMPANY LIKE ROCKSTAR NORTH CREATE A NEW FRIDAY THE 13TH GAME.

If fans asked Sean Cunningham to make a bigger Friday the 13th game by another big time company who has more money and resources to make it bigger and better.

Again until Victor and Sean make a  deal that isn't happening. Licensing agreements vary and are convoluted at best.The IP holder calls all the shots and right now we don't know who that is. I'm sure they found a loophole to make that board game so Victor could not claim anything.Warner Brothers also has their hand in it to a degree they own the home entertainment rights. According to Larry Zerner the case is still going on to his knowledge and he's following it closer than anyone.