Sign in to follow this  
HaHaTrumpWon

Questions about Tommy's mechanics.

This is something I've been wondering about for quite a while and finally decided to just ask and see if someone can clarify a few things.

1) What is the minimum number of counselors required for Tommy to spawn? If there are only two counselors at the start of the round, could one of them die and come back as Tommy?

2) Suppose you and a second counselor both die within a short time of each other, why is it that sometimes you can come back as Tommy immediately, and other times it will take several minutes? Also, why is it that sometimes (when you're selected) you get Tommy's intro cut-scene before Jason even finishes the grab-kill animation?

3) Is it possible to respawn as Tommy if you are the only one dead or escaped?  More than once I've been in lobbies where Jason kills one counselor, nobody escapes or quits, and then the person killed returns as Tommy.

4) If Jason kills 3 or more counselors one after the other, what determines which one of them comes back? Is the criteria different if Tommy is called AFTER 2+ people die as opposed to being called BEFORE anyone dies?

I've actually had some experience with number 1 & 4. I've been in a lobby or two with only two counselors, and both counselors have to either die or escape before one will come back as Tommy, and one always will as long as he's been called. That appears to be the steadfast rule, two counselors have to disappear via dying/leaving/escaping. I would be curious to see how it works with just one counselor, but I assume the match would just end.

I've also watched 4 happen first hand. I let Jason slash me to death hoping to spawn back as Tommy, only to watch two more dudes get hacked to death immediately after me. The guy who died 3rd got Tommy, so it appears it all depends on how quickly the game randomly selects who's going to be Tommy. Anyone who dies before he spawns in appears to have equal chance to be Tommy.

As for 3, there's no way for Tommy to spawn until at least two people have been taken out of the game one way or another. If only one person dies that person will always get priority over a counselor that escapes. 

2 I've seen exactly what you're talking about many times, but that seems like a programming issue, and I don't have any knowledge about that. On a funny unrelated note, I once spawned in as Tommy with the cut-scene taking place in front of the police exit. Tommy strolling in all dramatic trying to look all bad ass, and meanwhile Jason's directly behind me trying to slash two counselors to death. What a hero, you might want to turn around.

21 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

I've actually had some experience with number 1 & 4. I've been in a lobby or two with only two counselors, and both counselors have to either die or escape before one will come back as Tommy, and one always will as long as he's been called. That appears to be the steadfast rule, two counselors have to disappear via dying/leaving/escaping. I would be curious to see how it works with just one counselor, but I assume the match would just end.

I've also watched 4 happen first hand. I let Jason slash me to death hoping to spawn back as Tommy, only to watch two more dudes get hacked to death immediately after me. The guy who died 3rd got Tommy, so it appears it all depends on how quickly the game randomly selects who's going to be Tommy. Anyone who dies before he spawns in appears to have equal chance to be Tommy.

As for 3, there's no way for Tommy to spawn until at least two people have been taken out of the game one way or another. If only one person dies that person will always get priority over a counselor that escapes. 

2 I've seen exactly what you're talking about many times, but that seems like a programming issue, and I don't have any knowledge about that. On a funny unrelated note, I once spawned in as Tommy with the cut-scene taking place in front of the police exit. Tommy strolling in all dramatic trying to look all bad ass, and meanwhile Jason's directly behind me trying to slash two counselors to death. What a hero, you might want to turn around.

If Jason kills me and the intro starts before the kill animation finishes, I take it as "God wills the death of this Jason" and therefore do everything I possibly can to ensure Jason bites the dust 😈

Also, I know how crazy this is going to sound, but I swear I'm not bullshitting you. A while back, me and the friends I kill Jason with had a match on Higgens Small in which I (playing as Buggzy) came back at Tommy, but never died or escaped. I am dead serious here. I looted a few cabins, found a PK and axe, and was running towards the stream (intending to swim across and stop Jason from killing our designated Sweater-Girl) and suddenly Tommy's intro starts playing. The next thing I know,, I'm at the graveyard as Tommy. I'm pretty sure I've still got the video from it, but it's going to be a bitch to find since I have over 200+ gigs of video saved on my PS4.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

1) What is the minimum number of counselors required for Tommy to spawn? If there are only two counselors at the start of the round, could one of them die and come back as Tommy?

there was one time that I and another guy escaped with the yellow car, and then the guy immediately came back as tommy, no one had died yet. as far as i know the tommy jarvis thing is completely random, but idk why people who escaped on the yellow car tend to be tommy more often, and even tend to comeback as tommy immediately more often.

3 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

If Jason kills me and the intro starts before the kill animation finishes, I take it as "God wills the death of this Jason" and therefore do everything I possibly can to ensure Jason bites the dust 😈

Also, I know how crazy this is going to sound, but I swear I'm not bullshitting you. A while back, me and the friends I kill Jason with had a match on Higgens Small in which I (playing as Buggzy) came back at Tommy, but never died or escaped. I am dead serious here. I looted a few cabins, found a PK and axe, and was running towards the stream (intending to swim across and stop Jason from killing our designated Sweater-Girl) and suddenly Tommy's intro starts playing. The next thing I know,, I'm at the graveyard as Tommy. I'm pretty sure I've still got the video from it, but it's going to be a bitch to find since I have over 200+ gigs of video saved on my PS4.

I'm curious, did this happen while glitch killing was a huge problem? Back then you'd see a counselor still running around suddenly spawn in as Tommy since they were technically dead according to the games data. If you actually never died though, that's one weird ass glitch. Never encountered that one before.

4 hours ago, Carlso said:

there was one time that I and another guy escaped with the yellow car, and then the guy immediately came back as tommy, no one had died yet. as far as i know the tommy jarvis thing is completely random, but idk why people who escaped on the yellow car tend to be tommy more often, and even tend to comeback as tommy immediately more often.

If two or more players escape before anyone dies, one of those players will always spawn in as Tommy, as the main prerequisite is taking two counselors off the board. Don't think the yellow car has much to do with it. Whenever I see the cops show up and nobody's died, I haul ass trying to be one of the first two out the exit. Since the change in priority it's rare to get Tommy without having to sacrifice yourself first.

7 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

I'm curious, did this happen while glitch killing was a huge problem? Back then you'd see a counselor still running around suddenly spawn in as Tommy since they were technically dead according to the games data. If you actually never died though, that's one weird ass glitch. Never encountered that one before.

I think it was around January 2019. I hadn't even seen Jason up to that point, and was trying to stay alive to give a friend a better chance of coming back as Tommy (though if I'm not mistaken, there was at least one person dead/escaped before it happened.. I'm going to start going through videos to see if I can find it.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:10 PM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I think it was around January 2019. I hadn't even seen Jason up to that point, and was trying to stay alive to give a friend a better chance of coming back as Tommy (though if I'm not mistaken, there was at least one person dead/escaped before it happened.. I'm going to start going through videos to see if I can find it.

I meant to bring this up a while back, but not long after this conversation, I'll be damned if I didn't see this happen for myself. Killed two counselors, and just happened to check the character screen and sure enough, there was Tommy and he wasn't either of the two people I'd killed. This was in the middle of hackerpalooza, and though I doubt that had anything to do with it, who knows. Almost 1100 matches as Jason and I've never seen that shit before.

6 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

I meant to bring this up a while back, but not long after this conversation, I'll be damned if I didn't see this happen for myself. Killed two counselors, and just happened to check the character screen and sure enough, there was Tommy and he wasn't either of the two people I'd killed. This was in the middle of hackerpalooza, and though I doubt that had anything to do with it, who knows. Almost 1100 matches as Jason and I've never seen that shit before.

I'm glad because I can't find the damn video. I tell people that and 99% of the time I get the "But that's not possible! You can't suddenly just change into Tommy if you haven't died!" reaction but I swear to God you CAN.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:12 AM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Yes 

2) Suppose you and a second counselor both die within a short time of each other, why is it that sometimes you can come back as Tommy immediately, and other times it will take several minutes? Also, why is it that sometimes (when you're selected) you get Tommy's intro cut-scene before Jason even finishes the grab-kill animation?

Bugs tbh

3) Is it possible to respawn as Tommy if you are the only one dead or escaped?  More than once I've been in lobbies where Jason kills one counselor, nobody escapes or quits, and then the person killed returns as Tommy.

Big rarity but can happen yes.

4) If Jason kills 3 or more counselors one after the other, what determines which one of them comes back? Is the criteria different if Tommy is called AFTER 2+ people die as opposed to being called BEFORE anyone dies?

Programming error but isn't much of a problem for me lately.

2 hours ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

Programming error but isn't much of a problem for me lately.

That's not really an answer to the question. How is a programming error what dictates who comes back?

On 8/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

That's not really an answer to the question. How is a programming error what dictates who comes back?

It is the proper answer because before it was who ever died after the 1st victim not after the 2nd because right now its after the 3rd.

17 minutes ago, Jason Todd Voorhees said:

It is the proper answer because before it was who ever died after the 1st victim not after the 2nd because right now its after the 3rd.

So... what you're trying to tell me that is that if three counselors die one after the other, nobody will come back as Tommy until the 4th person dies/escapes? Or are you saying that if two counselors die together (very short amount of time between deaths) the second one to go will return as Tommy? Or am I wrong and what you're saying is Tommy won't come back until the 3rd one dies?

I'm trying to make sure of what you're saying because there have been dozens of times two counselors have died at almost the same time and the first one to die came back as Tommy.