Sign in to follow this  

Old Grab or New (Current) Grab  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, the old grab or the new (current) grab?

• Old Grab
    • New Grab (Current Grab)

I know this isn’t something they will change, and while I’m fine with the current grab, I’m curious what everybody’s opinions are and which they prefer. If I were to say, I’d say I prefer the old grab because of the fact that it isn’t as punishable as the current one. You could grab faster than you can now if you missed the first try. Although sometimes the grab range was really long (like early when the game was still new), I think I prefer the old grab. With the current grab, if a counselor baits you to grab it’s an easy stun or damage hit for them, although it’s easy to not fall for that anymore.

The good thing with the current grab is how it’s easy to grab somebody over say a couch or something when they are trying to do that ring around the sofa thing. The current grab is more of a lunge-forward type thing, and while im fine with the it,  I kind of prefer the old grab. How about everybody else?

6 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

The new grab could be tweaked. The big issue is being locked into the forward lunge. If we could turn while grabbing, that would be better.

This ☝️

• Like 1

When did the grab change?  I've been playing on and off for about 2 years and I don't remember the grab being any different.

Changed at Engine upgrade if memory serves. The new I agree needs the cone a bit wider left and right and faster recovery  animation as pointed out too open for a easy stun.

4 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

When did the grab change?  I've been playing on and off for about 2 years and I don't remember the grab being any different.

before jason had a much slower recovery and you could walk during the grab recovery, making it almost impossible for counselors to hit jason so it was viable on combat. it was worst after shift tho cuz it didnt have the forward range that the new one has, so you needed to be on the right side of the counselor to grab him, definitively needed much more skill.

i mean i am ok with his new grab. the problem is that they took off a major thing from jason's combat kit and didnt compense with anything. as long as they buff combat stance or anything else that doesnt make him a punching bag for a group experienced counselors i am ok with the new grab. still i prefer the old one, jason needed more skill and he was viable against an organized group of counselors. i miss when killing jason was something intense.

5 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

The Grab has changed 3 to 4 times since the launch of the game.

Original Grab at launch attempted to Compensate for lag so it was a much longer grab and slide back into position.....that got nick named The Force Grab.

The next change was quite severely shortened and cone shrunk....making Jason Little look like he was grabbing through counselors and still couldn’t grab them.....we remember it fondly as the T-Rex grab.

the next change was better making the cone wider and the distance a little longer this was the best by far out of all of them you ask me....

the last and current change was with the engine upgrade which added the lunge animation and sound effect stinger......I will say if the cone was a litter wider or we could control the direction of lunge a bit more it would be the best grab mechanic we have been give.

• Like 1

I used to hate the new grab, but then I realized just how far away you can grab someone with it. I've grabbed plenty of irritating little Rosie-Ringer shitheads who do nothing but run around the same couch for several minutes at a time, occasionally stopping to dance because they think the ability to run in a circle makes them skilled players.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 12:48 PM, Laotian Lam said:

October 2017, I remember it clearly 😰

• Like 1

Most of the changes would have never needed to be made if they kept the old grab truthfully.  A good force grab with a well timed shift can demolish many a counselor mob squad.   The tea bag/dancing party was mainly the result of all the knives that were around, followed by quick Stun hit after the knife to his neck  and guys still learning the game as Jason. .. Shift/Force grab and quick animation choke kill is all that was ever really needed to have the counselors break up and start running and make Jason a serious threat

The nerf grab is what started the ball rolling down hill.  It didn't have to be as crazy like the grab at launch but the Summer 2017 grab is what should have been kept.  Jason looks like a complete FOOL with this grab for the past 2 years. 

There was never any real need for all this "Rage" stuff or various Jason tweaks if the Summer 2017 Grab was kept.  That was perfectly fine.  It wasn't until the Grab got nerfed that I started seeing daily "Jason Kills".  Before it was RARE. 

From 2016-2017 I saw maybe THREE Jason Kills the entire time.  From 2018-Present, there only maybe 2-3 days in which I didn't see Jason get killed.  The root cause was mainly the nerf Grab.

• Thanks 1

I like the new grab.  Is it objectively better than the previous one (3rd change before the May18 Update)?  Of course not.  For what grab gives Jason, possible instant death off of one move, the old one was way too easy to spam and "twirl" it about with little thought or commitment.  It's a personal opinion, yes, but plays should be made with intentions and appropriate risk vs reward ratio.  The new grab still leads to instant death, but a missed one is punished by stun (and now after the patch, DAMAGE).  This discourages mindless spamming and to use it effectively, thought is required to correctly time and nab a counselor.  It's a satisfying feeling watching a counselors movement behaviors and then suddenly whip it out,  "Gotcha!!!"  Even if there are many scenarios that killing counselors though damage is a better option, I still prefer to be a grab-first Jason when I'm not constricted.  Unless counselors give me a reason not to grab (Instant Grab Break-Out Hack or the "PK Trick" 😛) I'm likely going to grab when given a good opportunity too 

What I do have a problem with, though, is removal of Meat Shielding.  This lead to thoughtless plays on the other side of the game;  no longer counselors had to consider where to position each other to Jason to have a clear hit to his back when he grabs someone.  Now, just stay anywhere somewhat close to each other, save is always guaranteed.   The margin of error doesn't exist anymore (good thing Jason can "chain grab" after he gets rage Tho, LOL :rolleyes:)

Honestly, I'd be fine with ether, Old grab but no Meat Shielding or New Grab w/ Meat Shielding.  Jason got hit with a Double Whammy 😭

I want the old grab with meat shielding back. Also I want the original window smash back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, OCT 31 1978 said:

Original Grab at launch attempted to Compensate for lag so it was a much longer grab and slide back into position.....that got nick named The Force Grab.

Here's an example: 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SirMang said:

@aurllcooljay

Not just the force grab at the shack, but at 1:01.  Meat-shielding.  How I miss thee. 

This. The good ol days where you could shift into a group and kick some ass as Jason...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, aurllcooljay said:

when jason was viable against large groups of counselors

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SirMang said:

Not just the force grab at the shack, but at 1:01.  Meat-shielding.  How I miss thee. 

Didn't even notice that; good eye. Early in the game's life there were even more things with the grab that got changed. Like how Teamkilling worked during grab kills. At 1:29 in this video:

And 0:15 in this video: