Sign in to follow this  
KOOLLAYDTAC

Question regarding counselors.

What are some starting tips and advice on playing as a counselor effectively as not to end up dead in the first five minutes of the game? lol I been playing bots mainly since I got the game practicing and learning Jason, but unfortunately there is nothing on the counselor side of the house to be able to do that. It's pretty much jump straight in to the fire and whatever happens just happens. Which is fine, but I'd like to ask those of you who have been around the block a lot more what is your strategy in playing well and keeping the match fair?

Also because I do want to keep the playing field even and make sure I don't accidentally do anything I am not suppose to I have to ask are there any glitches or anything I should look out for on my end? I ask so I know what to keep notice of so if it happens I can just stop on the spot and not unknowingly take advantage of a situation.

Any tip or advice on keeping things on a low profile, drama free, pooping your pants good time would be much appreciated mates. lol Thank in advance.ūüėĀ

My biggest tip would be watch your stamina, try and keep atleast half your stamina bar if you're sprinting about. If Jason shows up you’ll have enough left to get inside a cabin. It should recharge while he’s trying to break the door in.

The biggest mistake I see new players make is when Jason shows up they sprint away till they have no stamina left and get killed straight after. 

• Thanks 1

As soon as the match starts, go to the closest cabin and look through the drawers and pick up a weapon. You don't need to sprint about as much at the beginning of the match as Jason doesn't have all his abilities yet. Loot the drawers in cabins, but also look for objective parts. The faster you can get the car/boat repaired, the better chance you have to get away before Jason's abilities kick in. If Jason starts pressuring you (especially in the early stages) try to hop from cabin to cabin. Even if he gets you, you are still giving other counselors valuable time to complete objectives.

• Thanks 1

If your primary concern when first learning how to play is to avoid dying quickly, do the following:

1 Choose AJ as your counselor.

2 Always jog when you're alone; Jason cannot hear AJ at all when she jogs. Only sprint when Jason is on your ass.

3 Always keep your flashlight on when you're alone. This will keep your fear level in check which will help you avoid Jason's sense.

4 At the beginning of the game enter the nearest empty cabin and barricade the doors.

5 Pick up a weapon.

6 Search the drawers until you find a map; go to another empty cabin and repeat your search if necessary (alternatively just equip the Preparedness perk if you have it).

7 Once you have your map, use it to avoid other counselors. Go from cabin to cabin searching for items like pocket knives and med spray in drawers & keep your eyes peeled for objective parts like gasoline, batteries, the boat propeller (on boat maps) and the phone fuse (these are in drawers). Pick the objective item up and drop it immediately if you can't or don't want to do the repair yourself. This will mark it on the map for other counselors to see.

8 Only attempt repairs if no one is nearby at the time; drop the item immediately and run away if you fail a skill check. A good Jason will immediately morph to a failed skill check if possible.

9 If Jason finds you, run to the nearest counselor on the map and attempt to dump Jason on them instead of you. If you have to fight, use a stunning weapon like a baseball bat to buy yourself time to get away.

There will always be times when you get an unlucky spawn and Jason kills you quickly but the above should keep you alive in most matches until at least a few of the louder and more aggressive counselors have been killed. Once you feel comfortable with counselor gameplay and gain a familiarity with the maps you can try other counselors & play-styles. If you find that you enjoy fighting Jason once you get the hang of it, definitely switch to another counselor as AJ is a terrible fighter. Speed, Stamina and Luck are the most important stats when choosing a fighter counselor.

Alternatively, just choose Vanessa and sprint the entire match without ever engaging Jason. No Jason can catch her until they have Shift and she can out-jog Zombie Jasons the entire match. Using her like this won't really teach you how to use other counselors effectively though.

• Thanks 1

@KOOLLAYDTAC

The above posts offer great advice. 

What I also found helpful is finding a private match where people will help you during the match.  If you find a good group of people they can offer advice real time while you are playing. Even Jason might give you some tips (or at least leave you alone for a bit) if he knows you are new to the game.

And when you do die, try and take some lessons while spectating other players.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Laotian Lam said:

The above posts offer great advice. 

What I also found helpful is finding a private match where people will help you during the match.  If you find a good group of people they can offer advice real time while you are playing. Even Jason might give you some tips (or at least leave you alone for a bit) if he knows you are new to the game.

And when you do die, try and take some lessons while spectating other players.  

Absolutely watch how other people play to get an idea of how to use the various counselors effectively. This is also a great way to find hiding spots that fool less experienced Jasons. Packanack and Higgins Haven main houses both have great hiding spots upstairs that I never would have known about without watching other people play.

• Thanks 1

Thanks mates. I really appreciate it. I was wondering something too. What do people mean when they say Vanessa is OP? I mean I know what OP is obviously, but how is she OP? lol I ask because I been doing private matches with someone I got the game for when I bought it trying to learn what the counselor's need to look for in the game and stuff. So what we generally do is one of us is Jason and Jason pretty much stays put while the person playing a counselor tries to get a good feel for the game. The counselor movement feels a lot different then when being on Jason I've noticed. The main thing I have noticed though with her is even just sitting at the starting point as Jason I can see her pinging all over the map when she is exploring and doing things without even so much as trying. Shouldn't that be very very bad? lol ūüėĄ

1 hour ago, KOOLLAYDTAC said:

What do people mean when they say Vanessa is 

I don't consider Vanessa OP but she is the highest ranked counselor to most people.  The reason is because of her high stamina and speed.  Even though she is easy to spot, she is far from easy to catch.  In the right hands Vanessa can make even skilled Jasons rage quit from frustration in trying to catch her.  Your shift-grab skills need to be on point or she will run circles around you.

• Thanks 1

Don't enter an already occupied cabin at the beginning of the round and start looting, it's considered rude as shit.

If you find a repair part, don't try to install it yourself unless you're playing a counselor with good repair skills, particularly if it's a unique repair item like the fuse or propeller, and especially if theres a repair counselor right next to you.

Firecrackers won't stun Jason in rage. Throwing them and then standing there trying to regain stamina will make you look like a dumbass.

If other counselors are trying to kill Jason, help out if you want to but DO NOT HIT JASON WHEN THE SWEATER IS USED. If you fuck up the kill, you better hope you're not Jason in the next round.

Don't put traps in idiotic locations such as the middle of a room or right behind an unlocked/unbarricaded door.

If you suck at driving, give the keys to someone else.

• Thanks 1

For perks you'll want thick skin so you won't limp after stepping in a trap or climbing out a second story window. Medical and firecracker perks can also come in handy. I recommend getting the map perk until you get familiar with each area and memorize where the map stand is for every map.

If you spawn at the phone house or by a car look for a hiding spot in case Jason decides to morph there at the beginning. Oh and you don't want to leave any evidence you were there or Jason will look for you. Close any doors or windows you've opened and hold out on searching drawers for a little while. Grab a weapon just in case.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, glowing ooze said:

just do whatever fridays your 13th.

That's gonna be stuck in my head for awhile now. lol Thanks for that mate. lol ūüėĀ

Thank you so much everyone for the advice and tips. I really appreciate it mates. I actually would have never thought about it in terms of rudeness going in to the same cabin as someone so I am glad that was mentioned. If anything I would have moved to the next cabin mainly because if someone is looting in one cabin so we'd cover more ground a lot faster with me looting the next one over. And I didn't even think about the game having perks so I am glad that was mentioned that as well too. Hopefully I'll follow everything you all told me to do and not die in the first five minutes at least. lol Thanks again mates. ūüėé

• Thanks 1

If I play as a counselor I will play as Tiffany Cox. All I have to say is DAT ASS! :D

I just want to say again thank you all so very much for all your helpful tips and advice on the game mates. Hope you all take care. Stay safe and stay blessed everyone.ūüėé

On 5/30/2020 at 4:27 PM, Jason Lover said:

If I play as a counselor I will play as Tiffany Cox. All I have to say is DAT ASS! :D

(Õ†‚ČĖ Õú ĖÕ†‚ČĖ)

Try to find a pocket knife early on, you might find one in a draw but often they'll be at a campfire site located on the map. Some maps often have the shotgun in the same place, like in the barn on the PineHurst map. It will knock Jason down usually giving you more time to get away. 

Don't just hide under a bed, in a cupboard the whole game. Eventually Jason will spot the cabin you are in and you will be Seek and destroyed! ūü§ėūüŹĽ

Play however you want, whatever you think works best for you.  You'll find that you're probably wrong about some things but that's okay.  It's trial and error.  When you do die, stay in the match and observe people who are being chased by Jason and pay attention to the things they're doing that work.  Incorporate the methods they use into your gameplay.  Conversely, ignore the things they do that don't work or get them killed.

While doing this, you'll also learn how to counter what counselors do when you're Jason to better succeed while playing as him.