MattP

Counsellor Play Style - Selfish Or Selfless?

Counsellor Play Style - Selfish or Selfless?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. As a counsellor - is your overall play style selfish or selfless?

• Somewhat Selfless - Including Sacrificing Time/Safety/Items
    • Somewhat Selfish - But Not Deliberately Impeding/Harming Others
    • Maliciously And Deliberately Impeding/Harming Others
    • Coordinating With And Assisting Jason To Kill Others

Hi all,

In previous posts I have written about how I am a pretty good Jason (I kill all counsellors most rounds) but that I suck at being a counsellor. I would like to be a better counsellor, so I am scrutinising my play style – looking for areas I could improve.

One thing I am wondering about is whether I need to be more selfish as a counsellor. At the moment I use Vanessa Jones or Deborah Kim with Legendary Marathon, Nerves Of Steel and Thick Skinned. I focus on getting items (boat propeller, car batteries, fuse, jerry cans) to where they need to be and I will often make repairs if Jason isn’t lurking nearby. If I cannot transport an item for any reason I will at least pick it up and put it down again, so that other counsellors can see where it is located. When I am in a cabin I usually try to barricade all doors and enter and leave via two different windows to create a safe haven and easy entry/exit for any counsellors who may enter that cabin fleeing from Jason. I try not to escape in the car or boat alone – certainly never in the four seater. I am careful not to escape the map with useful items in my possession – especially not the fuse or car keys. I use my microphone to tell other players where tapes are located – as I have already collected them all.

Of course playing unselfishly ought to improve the odds of survival for all counsellors and thereby improve my own odds but I am wondering whether I am taking too many risks in doing so. I don’t want to become a counsellor who deliberately runs people over or places repair items out reach or lays bear traps for other counsellors or who assists Jason to kill other counsellors but I need to consider a more balanced approached. The fact of the matter is that I usually get killed early in the round - so my play style does not work!

Please don’t misunderstand me I am not trying to boast about being unselfish…I play selfishly too. I usually never drop the car keys because I don’t want to be left behind. I am careful as to how/when I deliver the propeller or jerry can to the boat because again – I don’t want to be left behind. If I am in a cabin with another counsellor I rush around checking for items in drawers before they can get to them. I’m no saint.

I am interested to hear any and all opinions on this matter but especially the opinions of players who most often survive as a counsellor.

Thanks,

Matt P

Mat, it doesnt sound like your playstyle is what gets you killed so there is no reason to start being selfish.

Im not sure what is getting you killed so quickly but I play the same way and its rare for me to be one of the first few counselors killed.  

Im guessing you should just try different counselor/perk setups.  Vanessa and Deb are as different as it gets so they require different perks and playstyles.

Record back how ever many minutes to look back and see what you could’ve done differently to prevent yourself from getting killed. Are you trying hard enough to dodge shift grabs? Are you maintaining full health? Keeping loot items like sprays and pk’s in your inventory? Look at things like that and adjust as necessary.

I don't think it's your playstyle. Without having seen you play, I will guess you just need more practice juking. It took me a long time to become fairly decent at juking shifts. 

Yes I don't think playstyle will vary your survival. I quite often play as a lone wolf. I'll fix things if it's nearby or drop them to highlight on the map if my counselor is slow at fixing. If I'm about to escape to the cops I'll drop weapons, first aid, penknives for others to have a chance. 

I quite often survive the night often as the last player giving Jason the run around. I normally use Tiffany, or Deborah or Victoria. You need to use thick skin, try and grab a first aid or penknife early on from the normal locations. Make sure you close internal doors, barricade others, set bear traps. 

It depends with me. If I'm in a good lobby that seems to be playing fair in the games, I'm willing to help people - even sacrifice myself at times. If I'm in a lobby where people are fooling around or possibly cheating, there will be no help from me. It's me for myself, and if anyone shoots me, runs me over on purpose etc, they'll get the same treatment back!

i play selfishly and lone wolf until i fully repair something. then i call max number of people possible and escape (or try to)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlso said:

i play selfishly and lone wolf until i fully repair something. then i call max number of people possible and escape (or try to)

That's pretty much how I play.  I will help others as much as possible without letting them get me killed

• Like 1