29 minutes ago, SirMang said:

IMHO actually being a try hard in this game would be 2 things...

One.  You're a 150 and you kill a sub level 10 Jason.  It's completely unnecessary and takes no skill to pull off.

Two. You're a 150 and even though every avenue of escape has been on the table against a sub level 10 Jason, you decide instead to go cabin looping, dancing, teabagging, making sure he grabs you to take your last knife.  Again, completely unnecessary and makes for a miserable experience for the new player as well as the rest of the lobby who did escape have to watch your BS. 

However the way try hard is thrown around, it's done as an insult when you've simply been outplayed. 

^This. I mean, "if you kill someone before you get sense" really!? How is that wrong?

It makes me laugh when you get the Vanessa only players, no doubt with medic, thick skin and high stun perk group up to fight Jason. All probably have a penknife as well and try to troll you. Running around furniture or having 2 or more penknives doesn't make you a good player. Try fixing things, escaping, survive the night or kill Jason. Getting a few stun hits in early on before being killed isn't badass. Also I think Jason should get a dance motion as well haha 

3 hours ago, Deano78 said:

Also I think Jason should get a dance motion as well haha 

I’d take this game to the barn and shoot it if they did this 

this game is already kind of a joke as is with the counselors stunning and dancing on Jason. 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, Laotian Lam said:

The term Try-hard is not just the literal meaning of trying hard.  It means you are trying too hard (which is obv subjective). 

Well this right here tbh.

17 hours ago, SilentVob said:

You shouldn't challenge someone in a competitive environment if you're not willing to get destroyed in the pursuit of victory. Throwing insults like "try hard" shows a lack of sportsmanship

Really, 'Try Hard' is not an insult.  Its description of someones behavior.  

I'll take another game.   Like GTA O.

You get people who attack others non stop for no reason.  And when people fight back they start killing themselves with sticky bombs non stop, to avoid having their K/D ratio harmed.     This is peak Try Hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Really, 'Try Hard' is not an insult.

I've seen it used almost exclusively as an attempted insult, but I wont try any harder to sway opinions. Good luck.

1 hour ago, SilentVob said:

I've seen it used almost exclusively as an attempted insult, but I wont try any harder to sway opinions. Good luck.

Meh.. its not really an insult.  It needs to be combined with other words, for it to be close to an insult.

For example.  " A smelly legged, panty wearing, crossed eye, stuck your moma's basement try hard'.     Now that's insult, but the Try Hard part is just to stick the landing.

Used without any sort of build up.  Its a just description.     Sure, some people whine about everything.   Maybe call people try hards, that aren't even try hards.

That same shit happens with many other words.  Like the term 'Troll'.    Some people think anyone who disagrees with them on anything is a troll.  So, there's no doubt people are out there that will call people a 'try hard' anytime they lose in a game.

But for me, I I've been around the block many times.   Im also the type of person who adjusts how I play depending on who I play with.  So a Try Hard is the opposite of me.  

I’m a try hard. At this point I’m starting to think that it’s a mental illness.  

Got called an absolute tw@t last night playing.

Cleared the lobby in about 10mins as Jason. Next round is Pinehurst, 4 people leave as match starts. Part 4 Jason is on me in the first minute. I survive 14 minutes, taking him on a tour of Pinehurst. A Vanessa comes over and helps Jason finally kill me. I watch as they both team and kill the other counsellor together. I come back as Tommy, Jason is on me straight away. Lead him around for another 4 minutes till the match ends and I survive. 

left the lobby and got a message off the Jason player: You absolute tw@t 

• Haha 2

Put more than one trap at an objective, try hard. Fight against a group with slashing and knifing, try hard. Tommy and the sweater girl are waiting for you in the shack and you walk in blocking, try hard. Last player left hops between cabins and you start breaking windows and use shift and morph every chance you get, try hard.

7 minutes ago, aurllcooljay said:

Put more than one trap at an objective, try hard. Fight against a group with slashing and knifing, try hard. Tommy and the sweater girl are waiting for you in the shack and you walk in blocking, try hard. Last player left hops between cabins and you start breaking windows and use shift and morph every chance you get, try hard.

Lmao 

Touch your controller...try hard...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Top_Cat said:

Got called an absolute tw@t last night playing.

Cleared the lobby in about 10mins as Jason. Next round is Pinehurst, 4 people leave as match starts. Part 4 Jason is on me in the first minute. I survive 14 minutes, taking him on a tour of Pinehurst. A Vanessa comes over and helps Jason finally kill me. I watch as they both team and kill the other counsellor together. I come back as Tommy, Jason is on me straight away. Lead him around for another 4 minutes till the match ends and I survive. 

left the lobby and got a message off the Jason player: You absolute tw@t 

That sounds like an interesting match.

1 hour ago, aurllcooljay said:

Each of those scenarios are situational. I've seen players do those things, and he justified. Some of those same maneuvers can be overkill in other cases. As long as Jason gets the job done for mother, that's the bottom line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aurllcooljay said:

Attempt to win the game, try hard. Play the game, try hard. Breathing, try hard.

Got called trash again after going 8/8 in a lobby tonight. A Vanessa apparently didn't take kindly to me calling her on her crouch taunting after I killed her ass along with Tommy's while they were playing ring around the table at the Packanack Lodge. Then the entire lobby lit up with smack talk once the round was over after there had been complete silence before. I've never laughed so hard while playing this game. 😂

3 hours ago, Fair Play said:

Each of those scenarios are situational. I've seen players do those things, and he justified. Some of those same maneuvers can be overkill in other cases. As long as Jason gets the job done for mother, that's the bottom line.

It's the competitive nature of multiplayer games that's the issue here. People expect you you be naturally good without making it look like you had to put a bunch of effort in, otherwise they make it look like you're doing things out of desperation. Thing is, when you're up against a well coordinated group you will be put into situations where you have to act desperately: Players tanking traps with thick skin and medic, players ganging up to demask and grabbing the sweater right after, players guarding objectives other players are currently fixing.

I haven't played much multiplayer before F13, so I didn't really get why some people had to point out how a Jason player wasn't the best, but I get it now. There's only one of him and several of you, so of course the player is expected to be at the top of his game. But that's just a dumb double standard. No one can be expected to always be at the top of their game, make the best choices, and make no mistakes, especially when there are several other players. That would require you to be in more than one place at a time.

But I'm afraid that will never change with asymmetrical multiplayer games. Playing online people just have to show they are the best. Similarly, Dead by Daylight has the same mentality with the killers. Just check out these videos by the Youtube channel Samination that parody everything in the game, including what players expect from the killers.

Example #1. At 0:27 in this video the killer is scolded for "camping":

Example #2. This video contains the "Survivors Rule Book for Killers" at 1:50, 3:04, and 6:48:

I rest my case, people.

@aurllcooljay, I think I get your point. The nature of people being competitive, and things that motivate them to validate their desire to be the best play equal parts in the equation. It seems to have been that way since the dawn of the online multiplayer game. First person shooters, asymmetrical horror, MMORPGs and other genres all share that in common.

If people spent more time enjoying the game and playing as intended rather than obsessing over feeling superior or inferior to other players, then maybe no one would have a reason to label others.

• Like 3

I think the only time, situation a Jason player is a bit of a Try Hard is when you are the only player in a cabin and they smash every window and use 2 or more traps by the windows. That's a lot of effort to get one kill. Usually wait for them to smash the door down and stun them and go out the door. They just wasted most of their traps for nothing. 

Had a 150 Vanessa commit suicide tonight after I got them limping while they were the final girl. That’s a try-hard.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:03 PM, Laotian Lam said:

- if you kill a counselor before your Sense ability activates, you might be a try-hard.

Disagree, they are trespassing on Jason's campgrounds and desecrating his mother's grave. When they are killed doesn't matter.

20 hours ago, Redcat345 said:

Disagree, they are trespassing on Jason's campgrounds and desecrating his mother's grave. When they are killed doesn't matter.

Agreed. That's where bad luck is a thing.

I once had a kill squad of 4 people (2 Brandons, Victoria aka sweater girl and Tommy) all tell me in the mic about how I'm a tryhard and need to get a life after I beat them. I told them straight up in the mic "What the fuck do you think? That I'm just gonna block and slash all day and hope that your weapons break? No bitch, I'm just gonna fucking Morph abduct Sweater girl and be done with your bullshit." Next match one of them is Jason and they start teaming me so I did the most reasonable thing that came to mind and that was leave the lobby. I've had enough of teamers as it is.