I've seen a quite a few comments regarding "try-hards" as well as rebuttals to that term having any validity.  I am curious how others feel regarding "try-hards" and what that term even means to them.

Personally, I use the term "try-hard" for those who's only focus is on "Winning" and are willing to sacrifice "fun" to acheive that goal.  And since this game really doesnt have any competitive or Ranked Games, it doesnt take much to look like a Try-Hard.  Afterall, this game is more of a social game than it is about "winning" and "losing". 

- if you kill a counselor before your Sense ability activates, you might be a try-hard.

- if you throw knives at a car, you might be a try-hard.

- if you only ever use the Jason or Counselor that you think is "the best", you might be a try-hard.

- if you are chatty as a counselor but dont say a word as Jason, you might be a try-hard.

- if you are the only counselor left and you make the entire lobby wait for you to troll Jason for 10min until the timer runs out, you might be a try-hard.

Posted (edited)

Only people with lack of skill/strategy as well as motivation/confidence with a defeatist mentality think it's an insult to call someone a try hard. Trying hard is the best thing you can do.

@Eva Watanabe being called sweaty means you're making the person saying it nervous. In other words you're playing well keep it up! It is a direct insult but also indirectly shows they view you as a threat, unless you aren't performing well, in which case...  Also I hate the idea of perks in any game. What happened to skill? 

@Laotian Lam I don't think you can try too hard at anything. The issue arises when you don't try to elevate others to your level. That said, people who team or exploit bugs are definitely try hards lol.

Edited by F134Ever86

17 minutes ago, F134Ever86 said:

Only people with lack of skill as well as motivation/confidence with a defeatist mentality think it's an insult to call someone a try hard. Trying hard is the best thing you can what ypu

I would agree with that statement if we were all playing competitively.  But that isnt always the case.  

The term Try-hard is not just the literal meaning of trying hard.  It means you are trying too hard (which is obv subjective).  And yes, in any recreational game, it IS possible to try too hard.

If your effort in the game results in making it less enjoyable for others then you might be a try-hard. Lol

For example, I use Tiffany a lot and if I am the last counselor left alive and I have no chance of escape I could try and run the clock out. But if I do, I will most likely see people quitting one by one as I run around from cabin to cabin. So usually I will just confront Jason and go down in a blaze of glory.  Why? Because I dont want to waste people's time being a try-hard.  End the match. Start a new one. And we can all have fun again. :)

Part 3 or 5 with bloody skin and machete weapon swap- try hard 

head punch and choke kill only- try hard 

If you run Vanessa only counselor- try hard 

If you don’t care about any cinematic stalk kills and only care about speed killing- try hard 

Rely heavily on shift to kill counselors- try hard 

If anyone escapes or Jason gets defeated- rage quit- try hard 

lol 

And etc

Got called 'sweaty' a few times recently and I don't really get the concept. People aren't supposed to get better at games these days? And one game where I went 5/7 with Jason I got called 'trash' immediately after I said GG to the lobby. The same guy ended up letting the a car escape and someone call the cops (me :ajsaltbae:) within five minutes the next round. He kept his mouth shut after that. :lol:

As for 'try hard': recently played a few matches against a guy who exclusively used Vanessa, exclusively played Packanack Small (he was controlling the map), tanked 3+ traps each round (so obviously thick skin and/or medic) and taunted Jason on the mic after escaping. Stacking the deck in your favor like that and then acting like you're hot sh*t is a try hard IMO.

27 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

Part 3 or 5 with bloody skin and machete weapon swap- try hard

Well shit. Apparently Im a flippin try-hard.

*changes weapon back to the stupid scissors*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F134Ever86 said:

@Eva Watanabe being called sweaty means you're making the person saying it nervous. In other words you're playing well keep it up!  Also I hate the idea of perks in any game. What happened to skill?

Well, they haven't been saying it in a complimentary way. :lol: More along the lines of definition #3 at Urban Dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sweaty

@Laotian Lam I wouldn't worry about bloody clothes or weapon swapping to the machete. Some Jasons look better bloody (Part 3 is one of them IMO) and the machete has some awesome kills. It's definitely one of the most effective weapons but it won't make the difference against a good lobby. One hand chokes and head punches are still more efficient than any of the machete grab kills anyway.

2 minutes ago, Laotian Lam said:

Well shit. Apparently Im a flippin try-hard.

*changes weapon back to the stupid scissors*

Hahaha it’s ok 😂 I’ve ran a lot of part 3 with machete swap and a bloody skin. My main was part 8 tho 😁

Generally, if you outplay someone, they consider you a "try hard."

I've been called a try hard several times while playing F13. I usually pay no attention to it. Every once in a while though, someone that has utterly no skill whatsoever will come over the mic after I kill them and call me a try hard. I normally don't use a mic at all (counselor or Jason), but in these instances, I will key my mic up and reply to them letting them know that I didn't have to hardly try at all to kill them.

What's the point in playing a game though if you aren't going to try your best?

• Like 2

A sore loser doesn't like the truth. All these silly 'insults' come from weak-minded goofs who can't accept the fact they were beaten by a better player. Sad thing is they make themselves feel better by calling the winner 'trash', but are too blinded by rage to see the utter ignorance of it. If the winner is trash, the loser must be sewer-dwelling fly shit.

• Like 4

I can confidently say I'm a 'tryhard' however, I've been guilty of calling others a 'tryhard' as a form of an insult which to be honest is hilarious if you're looking at it from a certain way. In other words, I like being a tryhard I just don't like it when other people are LMAO.

2 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

5 with bloody skin and machete weapon swap- try hard 

Guilty as charged also ignore 2 knives in shack, trap shack,go to Tommy box and trap it=try hard also guilty. Ask me if I care.

37 minutes ago, TimDuke 01 said:

Guilty as charged also ignore 2 knives in shack, trap shack,go to Tommy box and trap it=try hard also guilty. Ask me if I care.

Oh that was a good one you added. Yes I’m guilty of that to lol except I’ll morph straight to tommy box right away instead of trapping shack

40 minutes ago, TimDuke 01 said:

Since I can easily and consistently pull off Knife Canceling, I ALWAYS go for knives in Shack then Morph away to Tommy Box.

The irony is that a player that invest a little more time into improvement, tech, strategy, and game knowledge (you know, the type of players called "Try-Hard") are actually making it easier on themselves.  Playing Optimally is going  to be "easier" than sweating and being upset at an team of Vanessas if you don't know how to deal with.  That player is actually "Trying-Hard" :P.

5 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

- if you kill a counselor before your Sense ability activates, you might be a try-hard.

Bad luck is a thing. On the downside, if a Jason kills a counselor that early, he may be missing other kills due to objectives getting fixed early on.

- if you throw knives at a car, you might be a try-hard. You'd be more of a dick and a cheater than a try-hard.

- if you only ever use the Jason or Counselor that you think is "the best", you might be a try-hard.

People go with what works. Most of us here have a favorite counselor and/or Jason. I use them all on occasion.

- if you are chatty as a counselor but dont say a word as Jason, you might be a try-hard.

If you are chatty and communicative as a counselor, then you are a team player. If you are quiet as Jason, you are in character. If you are talking nonsense either way, then you'll likely get muted.

- if you are the only counselor left and you make the entire lobby wait for you to troll Jason for 10min until the timer runs out, you might be a try-hard.

If you do this once, I'll let you slide. Do it twice and I'm changing lobbies afterward.

What makes for a try hard is subjective. If one plays the game as intended and has a decent attitude, then one gets along fine with most people and has good matches. If players spend their time nitpicking other players for their faults based on personal criteria, then they won't have as much fun. The player base is far from perfect, but there are some decent players among the uncivilized ones.

Every game in existence played with two or more people encourages some kind of social interaction. Winning or losing happens with any game that has two of more sides. Everyone wins at some point, and loses at other points. Some people don't like to lose, but it happens.

@F134Ever86, I agree that one should make an effort in anything they do. Some people try their hardest, and still can't win. I applaud their effort nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Generally, if you outplay someone, they consider you a "try hard."

What's the point in playing a game though if you aren't going to try your best?

I couldn't agree more with these two statements.

@SteveChristy, nice description of a sore loser.

1 hour ago, TimDuke 01 said:

You're just trying to shut down the Jason kill. It is self-preservation.

@GeneiJin, I agree that self-improvement is its own reward.

• Like 3

🤨 What if you're a try hard that helps other try hards get better at being try hards?

Asking for a friend.... 😶

😎

18 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

If Jason kills someone before his sense ability activates, he obviously didn't have to try that hard at all.

• Haha 2

Scrubs use the phrase "tryhard" to try and discredit your efforts and make you feel bad for being superior.

19 minutes ago, SilentVob said:

Scrubs use the phrase "tryhard" to try and discredit your efforts and make you feel bad for being superior.

Naw man.   Try hards are people who take it too far, even tho they are already better at what ever it is.

It would be like NBA players playing a basketball game against 10 year olds.   And the NBA players blocking everything, dunking in their faces and trash talking them the whole time.    Basically trying their hardest like its the NBA finals...

There's a certain level of bitchery and mindset to be had, to be a full on try hard.    

Sure, if its a super competitive game, trying your hardest is the point.   But if someone is going to take candy from a baby, you don't need a ghillie suit.

7 hours ago, HuDawg said:

But if someone is going to take candy from a baby, you don't need a ghillie suit.

You shouldn't challenge someone in a competitive environment if you're not willing to get destroyed in the pursuit of victory. Throwing insults like "try hard" shows a lack of sportsmanship and illustrates insufficient levels of maturity required to accept defeat with dignity.

Having said that, I'll definitely dunk on my nephew in NBA Jam while trash talking, and Lord help him if he challenges me to Mario Kart again.

42 minutes ago, SilentVob said:

Throwing insults like "try hard" shows a lack of sportsmanship and illustrates insufficient levels of maturity required to accept defeat with dignity.

Have you played the game recently? Witnessed the amount of pre-teen squeakers that are in the lobbies? They are acting at the level of maturity they are.

Before the match starts, they are going to be Jason and kill everyone, or they're going to be a counselor a beat Jason's ass until they decide to escape.

Match begins, they die in the first 2 minutes and scream over the mic that you suck and are a try hard.

3 minutes ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Have you played the game recently? Witnessed the amount of pre-teen squeakers that are in the lobbies? They are acting at the level of maturity they are.

Before the match starts, they are going to be Jason and kill everyone, or they're going to be a counselor a beat Jason's ass until they decide to escape.

Match begins, they die in the first 2 minutes and scream over the mic that you suck and are a try hard.

So, you're saying they show a lack of sportsmanship and their behavior illustrates insufficient levels of maturity required to accept defeat with dignity?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

I see more adults doing this as opposed to tweens.

6 hours ago, SilentVob said:

So, you're saying they show a lack of sportsmanship and their behavior illustrates insufficient levels of maturity required to accept defeat with dignity?

Some people are just plain sore losers.

• Like 3

IMHO actually being a try hard in this game would be 2 things...

One.  You're a 150 and you kill a sub level 10 Jason.  It's completely unnecessary and takes no skill to pull off.

Two. You're a 150 and even though every avenue of escape has been on the table against a sub level 10 Jason, you decide instead to go cabin looping, dancing, teabagging, making sure he grabs you to take your last knife.  Again, completely unnecessary and makes for a miserable experience for the new player as well as the rest of the lobby who did escape have to watch your BS. 

However the way try hard is thrown around, it's done as an insult when you've simply been outplayed. 

• Thanks 1