Jump to content

Should Jason trap his shack?  

51 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Jason trap his shack?



Recommended Posts

I voted yes even though i rarely trap the shack. I have a few reasons for not doing it, but I'm coming around to doing it again. It used to confuse me when i placed multiple traps. I didn't know how to tell which one went off. And some Jasons have less traps and i like to save one just in case. But not trapping the shack has come back to bite me in the ass multiple times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, if Jason knows he’s going to be hunted best thing to do is to not grab knives and morph straight to power box to try and prevent the call. Then, trap the box and carry on with trapping other objectives and collecting knives..... Instead of wasting time trapping your shack at game start on a trap that will get tanked easily later on. The time spent trapping the shack could’ve been time spent preventing the call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted "I don't care".  I tend to have extra traps, so..... maybe I might put one down if I failed to prevent Tommy.  It really depends but don't ever put one down thinking it's any real security.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do and it only takes a couple seconds and placement is very important or they can squeeze past it(sensitivity really needs to be increased on traps IMO).I skip the 2 throwing knives in the shack and trap the entrance morph to where I'm pretty sure the Tommy box is and if correct trap it then to phone. I know it will get tanked most likely but gives you a little extra warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with no as I think it's generally a waste. Not to say it's always a bad idea. But usually it doesn't matter if you do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. 

Unless you know it's a kill squad and you're playing as Part II.

Put all 7 at the shack for maximum laughs.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends.  If I'm playing with high level counselors that I know are going to try to kill me, then yes.  If I'm playing with amateurs, then no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is astounding to me that some people on this forum actually consider trapping the shack a waste of time. It's sheer, blatant stupidity to suggest that forcing counselors to use supplies is less desirable than letting them keep them, and most of their arguments revolve around what I like to call the "Good squad" premise.

Player A says that setting a trap at the shack is good because it forces counselors to use supplies. Player B days that even if someone uses a PK to disarm it, it won't matter because Tommy and Sweater-Girl are going to stay very close together and you won't have a chance to grab one without the other hitting you. Player A replies that this isn't an absolute certainly and that all that's needed is a few feet of distance. Player B then says something to the effect of "Well, a *Good Squad* will stay right next to each other". 

This is why that argument is fucking stupid. One, 99% of the kill squads you're likely to encounter in random QP don't fit the supposed definition of a "Good Squad". Two, if we're going with the logic that trapping the shack is pointless because a "Good Squad" will just tank it/disarm it then do...whatever... that negates any supplies lost, then:

Trapping the phone is pointless, a Good Squad will just tank/disarm it.

Teleporting to a car that just got started is pointless, as a Good Squad will just shoot you and drive off. Even if you DO stop the car and grab the driver  the aforementioned Good Squad will no doubt have PKs and shotguns, and even if you make them waste them all, they'll outmaneuver you and get away regardless.

 Trying to slash Tommy Jarvis is pointless, because as part of a Good Squad, he'll just shoot/stun you, heal up, and go about his business.

Trying to use TKs against Sweater-Girl at a distance is also pointless because even though you  forced her to use med spray, as part of a Good Squad, she's got Medic and Thick Skin and therefore it was a waste of TKs.

See how utterly retarded line of thinking is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

 

See how utterly retarded line of thinking is?

Completely different.

A trap on an objective is a deterrent of that objective being done.  If a person doesn't have a PK or a spray, they're likely just going to drop the part off next to it for someone else to handle.  

A trap on the shack has only 2 outcomes.  1. it's not in the perfect spot and you can just go around it.  2. Tommy and SG are going to be there together and Tommy already has a spray, or two, so he's just gonna tank it and spray.  Tommy and SG aren't gonna go to the shack and say "aw shit, it's trapped, I can't go in" 

Trapping objectives is a deterrent to them being done.  Trapping the shack is pointless as it stops nothing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Completely different.

A trap on an objective is a deterrent of that objective being done.  If a person doesn't have a PK or a spray, they're likely just going to drop the part off next to it for someone else to handle.  

A trap on the shack has only 2 outcomes.  1. it's not in the perfect spot and you can just go around it.  2. Tommy and SG are going to be there together and Tommy already has a spray, or two, so he's just gonna tank it and spray.  Tommy and SG aren't gonna go to the shack and say "aw shit, it's trapped, I can't go in" 

Trapping objectives is a deterrent to them being done.  Trapping the shack is pointless as it stops nothing. 

 

As I said in another thread, a trap at the shack can complicate early sweater runs and deter random counselors who happen to be in the area from grabbing the sweater altogether. Even if you don’t think it will make a difference with organized Tommy/SG teams it can still serve a purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eva Watanabe said:

As I said in another thread, a trap at the shack can complicate early sweater runs and deter random counselors who happen to be in the area from grabbing the sweater altogether. Even if you don’t think it will make a difference with organized Tommy/SG teams it can still serve a purpose.

Thing is you don't want to deter some random idiot grabbing it early.  They're painting a huge "target me" sign on their back.  If you deter someone from getting it early, then you're actually hurting yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Thing is you don't want to deter some random idiot grabbing it early.  They're painting a huge "target me" sign on their back.  If you deter someone from getting it early, then you're actually hurting yourself. 

This can sometimes be true but nonetheless it’s a distraction. Jason has enough objectives to worry about early on without throwing the sweater into the mix. And you’ll occasionally get early sweater runs from experienced counselors and those can really make things difficult for Jason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SirMang said:

Thing is you don't want to deter some random idiot grabbing it early.  They're painting a huge "target me" sign on their back.  If you deter someone from getting it early, then you're actually hurting yourself. 

That might work on Packanack Small, but on Pinehurst its another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

That might work on Packanack Small, but on Pinehurst its another story.

How so? 

Both shack locations on Pinehurst are a country mile from a cabin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic has brought up a lot of interesting points to consider. It's similar to the locking of doors discussion a while back.

I can see the logic on both sides of this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote yes. I main Part 2 Jason and lay 2 traps at the shack immediately.   After that I go looking for the Tommy cabin powere box, disable and trap that, and finally the fuse box. Those are my immediate priorities and I ignore counselors until I complete those tasks unless I hear repair sounds.   But trapping the shack is the second thing I do after grabbing the two knives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SirMang said:

Thing is you don't want to deter some random idiot grabbing it early.  They're painting a huge "target me" sign on their back.  If you deter someone from getting it early, then you're actually hurting yourself. 

Haha. That is a very good point.  Wouldnt want to scare away the Strigoi's of the world from grabbing the sweater before anyone has even called Tommy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i trap the shack even if i only have 3 traps. jason worked hard building that shack & he'd be damned if somebody were to run in there & mess with his stuff. so i trap the doorway dead center & as far in as the game allows. now if my mask happens to fly right off my face, nobody can sneak in with it & grab the sweater without me knowing. you have to give something to enter now as well, one of your many sprays or pocket knives. you also have two delays to enter, first the trap, then the shock of seeing mrs voorhees. if jason is right on your ass those delays might be enough to keep mother happy. might be. i like how i can morph to the shack & sometimes they are still trying to break free from the trap. alls ya gotta do is run in & take it, so setting a trap at least makes it somewhat more difficult than the way it is on its own. sometimes the trap goes to waste if nobody trys for the sweater or if jason is dealing with trap tanking champs who bring back up along, but it has saved my ass enough for me to use this tactic every game. trapping the tommy tower is more effective but i perfer trapping the shack instead. its one less objective to deal with rather than bouncing back to the tommy tower everytime when other objectives need my attention. besides, i like fighting tommy, that little hot head..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SirMang said:

How so? 

Both shack locations on Pinehurst are a country mile from a cabin.  

Pinehurst and its massively spread apart items/objectives are difficult for AJ so out of boredom I always check for the shack at Ponderosa Pass if I'm in the area. I have about a 50/50 success rate of slipping out unnoticed since my stealth makes Jason guess which way I've gone if he's not able to morph over instantly. The Franklin Canyon location is more difficult and I'll generally only try that I'm using a faster counselor. Even then it's pretty tough shaking Jason from tunneling you. Franklin Canyon becomes more viable when the police have been called and the exit is just north of the shack. It's an easy detour, Jason is usually distracted and you have the option of either going for the kill or using the sweater at the exit if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eva Watanabe said:

Pinehurst and its massively spread apart items/objectives are difficult for AJ so out of boredom I always check for the shack at Ponderosa Pass if I'm in the area. I have about a 50/50 success rate of slipping out unnoticed since my stealth makes Jason guess which way I've gone if he's not able to morph over instantly. The Franklin Canyon location is more difficult and I'll generally only try that I'm using a faster counselor. Even then it's pretty tough shaking Jason from tunneling you. Franklin Canyon becomes more viable when the police have been called and the exit is just north of the shack. It's an easy detour, Jason is usually distracted and you have the option of either going for the kill or using the sweater at the exit if necessary.

The Franklin Canyon Reservoir area in Beverly Hills was used in Friday the 13th Parts IV & V and it was also 'Myers Lake' in The Andy Griffith Show. Just imagine Jason Voorhees in Mayberry. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see it positive: if all of us would play it the very same way (= all trapping the shack / all NOT trapping the shack), the matches  would be quite boring.

I am glad that we all have different styles and methods of placing our traps, it’s definitely more refreshing.

Usually, I trap my shack twice, another one goes to the fuse box, the remaining ones I place randomly on the map: many Vanessas in the lobby, then I don’t trap the cars at all, but more likely the stairs to Packanack lodge to have some fun, when hunting them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said maybe. I don't trap the shack at first. If I'm on a map like Jarvis or Pinehurst, I will generally have a trap left over after trapping objectives (I don't trap the boat). I also pay attention to sound pings in the direction of the shack. I have often gotten to the shack before mother's distress call. At those instances, a trap gets laid at the shack door while the dirty sweater thief is still inside. That's generally the only time I will place a trap at the shack and thus why I chose maybe. You'd be surprised the amount of Vanessa's that have gotten caught in a trap at the door trying to run with the sweater. Make them spend their pocket knife in the shack for an easy kill outside the shack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 1:40 AM, masterkeef42o said:

I voted yes even though i rarely trap the shack. I have a few reasons for not doing it, but I'm coming around to doing it again. It used to confuse me when i placed multiple traps. I didn't know how to tell which one went off. And some Jasons have less traps and i like to save one just in case. But not trapping the shack has come back to bite me in the ass multiple times. 

Same as you just stated , BUT the last two times i did trap it i was killed . lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...