Coach Feratu

To those who are disappointed, what did you expect?

I'm not a hardcore fan. I don't run interference whenever Gun or Illfonic make mistakes. I've been following this game since it was announced as a third party slasher game. I'm well aware of the serious issues with the game, and it's development. But for those who feel truly let down by this game, what were you expecting? White Light, White Light 2, Dead by Daylight, Last Year and Hide or Die. Are ANY of these games particularly good? Are any of them that much better than F13? The core concept of F13 the game is inherently hard to make good. We have a game in a niche genre, with a relatively new and unpracticed play-style, being made by small developers who had nearly no experience beforehand. What did you think it was going to be? Again, the game is flawed, and if those flaws are too much for you to enjoy the game, that makes perfect sense. But I'm confused by this attitude of "what could have been" as if this game would have ever been something that different from what it is now. 

I've seen people complain about the physics. Even AAA games have shit physics. I just feel like people have unrealistic expectations. I'm also annoyed by the technical problems in the game, but I don't think this concept can really bare much better fruit than what we got.

19 minutes ago, Coach Feratu said:

I'm not a hardcore fan. I don't run interference whenever Gun or Illfonic make mistakes. I've been following this game since it was announced as a third party slasher game. I'm well aware of the serious issues with the game, and it's development. But for those who feel truly let down by this game, what were you expecting? White Light, White Light 2, Dead by Daylight, Last Year and Hide or Die. Are ANY of these games particularly good? Are any of them that much better than F13? The core concept of F13 the game is inherently hard to make good. We have a game in a niche genre, with a relatively new and unpracticed play-style, being made by small developers who had nearly no experience beforehand. What did you think it was going to be? Again, the game is flawed, and if those flaws are too much for you to enjoy the game, that makes perfect sense. But I'm confused by this attitude of "what could have been" as if this game would have ever been something that different from what it is now. 

I've seen people complain about the physics. Even AAA games have shit physics. I just feel like people have unrealistic expectations. I'm also annoyed by the technical problems in the game, but I don't think this concept can really bare much better fruit than what we got.

I love the game , to me it's the player base that ruins it . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bryanp3692 said:

I love the game , to me it's the player base that ruins it . 

Ran into a particularly nasty trio of mic'd up trolls on PS4 last night. I've had pretty good luck avoiding their type these past few months but it really can sour you on the game when they find you.

Overall though my opinion of the late night (Eastern US time) PS4 fanbase is positive. Most people play the game as intended and the occasional mic users who aren't in a party tend to stick to relatively tame trash talking.

Other than the glitches that still can't get fixed I love this game. I think alot of people's disappointment stems from that.

32 minutes ago, Eva Watanabe said:

Ran into a particularly nasty trio of mic'd up trolls on PS4 last night. I've had pretty good luck avoiding their type these past few months but it really can sour you on the game when they find you.

Overall though my opinion of the late night (Eastern US time) PS4 fanbase is positive. Most people play the game as intended and the occasional mic users who aren't in a party tend to stick to relatively tame trash talking.

I play on PS4. Overall I've really enjoyed. And I've yet to NOT kill a troll.

When compared to the 1989 NES game by LJN this new Friday the 13th game is a bona-fide masterpiece! I've encountered very few glitches in the game from my nephew's copy of it. It's just so much fun to play!

• Like 1

Just now, Coach Feratu said:

I play on PS4. Overall I've really enjoyed. And I've yet to NOT kill a troll.

Yeah, they're usually not very good. 😂 Problem is when they actively try to sabotage the game for other counselors, especially when they're teaming with Jason. These trolls I dealt with last night were also verbally abusive which just made them that much more irritating.

I have a completely different experience on PS4 than you two, @Eva Watanabe and @Coach Feratu. have had.  I've run across some of the most foul mouthed 12 year old kids I've ever seen.  I have no idea how their parents don't hear them playing video games at 12am EST spewing off racial tirades and profanity at the tops of their lungs.  Thank God there's a mute button.   Or the lonely loser type of guys who once they hear a female in the lobby they're in all out desperation white knight mode while throwing some sexual innuendo out every couple of minutes. 

I've been involved with the internet for many many years so nothing I see or hear surprises me anymore.  But it still takes me aback when I hear the 12 year old kid shouting off F N every 10 seconds. 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the internet@SirMang 

@Coach Feratu As someone who is a diehard fan of the franchise as well as disappointed in the game, let me try to explain.

Imagine you were at a restaurant checking the menu out and saw your favorite dish that you haven't had in years. The person taking your order says "oh, you like that dish? Well this is the definitive version!" Naturally, you order it. After what seems like an eternity you get your food only to discover that it's a lukewarm microwave version.

Maybe that's not the best analogy but... I tried 🤷

In short, I expected what they promised. The definitive Friday the 13th game. 

To be fair, I do think we would have got that if the lawsuit didn't happen.

To drive my point home, I think this game would have long faded into obscurity if it wasn't titled Friday the 13th.

Edited by F134Ever86

I can mostly agree with that. It would have faded into obscurity, like any other game in this genre if the developers couldn't support them anymore. 

13 hours ago, SirMang said:

I have a completely different experience on PS4 than you two, @Eva Watanabe and @Coach Feratu. have had.  I've run across some of the most foul mouthed 12 year old kids I've ever seen.  I have no idea how their parents don't hear them playing video games at 12am EST spewing off racial tirades and profanity at the tops of their lungs.  Thank God there's a mute button.   Or the lonely loser type of guys who once they hear a female in the lobby they're in all out desperation white knight mode while throwing some sexual innuendo out every couple of minutes. 

I've been involved with the internet for many many years so nothing I see or hear surprises me anymore.  But it still takes me aback when I hear the 12 year old kid shouting off F N every 10 seconds. 

It's disappointing hearing little kids playing this game regardless of their behavior. What are their parents thinking? That said, I don't see too many of them late at night (Eastern US time) and those that do find their way into lobbies tend to be harmless. As for women, I think I get one on the mic about once every 50 matches and they're almost always in a party. Sucks that you seem to be having such rotten luck with lobbies.

Most common abusive mic users I come across are thugs trying to sound tough but they're easily ignored. I love using my ninja AJ to fix objectives and then letting them know it was me when they're at their saltiest. :ajsaltbae:

@bryanp3692, I find the occasional toxic player. Most people I come across are pretty decent.

@thrawn3054, I agree that the glitches suck. Many of us here have made the most of them, and are still having fun nonetheless.

@Eva Watanabe, the kids, like most people that play this game, are a mixed bag. Most I've run across are civilized. There are the attention starved ones that swear and try to "act cool" and fail miserably. Most female players are down to earth. I treat them with the same respect as male players I come across.

@SirMang, the youth of today are something else. I have six of my own, and very thankful they are nothing like the ones I hear constant complaints about. As far as the thirsty adult players, they give me a good laugh in their desperation. I could tell you stories about some of the things said by males and females alike. My wife has had 9 guys propose to her in random lobbies.

@F134Ever86, I've had lukewarm microwave food at a restaurant before. That is disappointing, and disgusting.

I agree that it not for the lawsuit, this game would have turned out differently. Like many of us here, I see no harm in pondering what could have been. It won't change anything, but it is nice to read some of the ideas people have come up with.

All in all, the fun I've had outweighs the disappointments I've experienced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2020 at 4:26 PM, Coach Feratu said:

Friday the 13th: The Game dispite some serious inital issues in regards to net code remains one of the games I love to play three years after it's release. When you hear about "what could have been" from players it typically doesn't come from a place of discord with what the game is and can do. Normally what players are speaking of is the fact that as the game hit it's height of popularity and new content was beginning to be released on a consistent basis the game fell under that lawsuit that shut down work on any new projects. 

On 4/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, Coach Feratu said:

Because they always kept promoting that it was going to be something eventually different, that's why. I thought that was already clear the moment they kept marketing Paranoia as alternative game mode. Regardless of how small illfonic was, Gun Media were the ones who invested in them and still did most of the promotion in surrounding the future, but there was a lot of information and some content advertisements that became too much false reassurance.

The core concept is fine, but the problem is it still lacked that fulfilling horror experience. Which could've been fixed if future content didn't keep suffering from setbacks due to some ongoing technical issues or trolls/griefers searching for loopholes around balance changes to turn the game into some RPG boss battle.

You'd be surprise with what effect a particular DLC character can have on the game for some players. It might not be different for you, but ever since they added Ghostface in DBD, I have never been more paranoid and scared heading into a match out of all my past experience with the game. Now imagine if F13 did this with Pamela and Paranoia combined.

I was expecting first person gameplay like what we got in the backer exclusive virtual cabin 1.0.

15 hours ago, Liquid Swordsman said:

Because they always kept promoting that it was going to be something eventually different, that's why. I thought that was already clear the moment they kept marketing Paranoia as alternative game mode. Regardless of how small illfonic was, Gun Media were the ones who invested in them and still did most of the promotion in surrounding the future, but there was a lot of information and some content advertisements that became too much false reassurance.

The core concept is fine, but the problem is it still lacked that fulfilling horror experience. Which could've been fixed if future content didn't keep suffering from setbacks due to some ongoing technical issues or trolls/griefers searching for loopholes around balance changes to turn the game into some RPG boss battle.

You'd be surprise with what effect a particular DLC character can have on the game for some players. It might not be different for you, but ever since they added Ghostface in DBD, I have never been more paranoid and scared heading into a match out of all my past experience with the game. Now imagine if F13 did this with Pamela and Paranoia combined.

Pamela wouldn't have worked. Period. Paranoia might have, and it's a shame they couldn't make it work. But Pamela is a garbage idea. 

Jason to be what he is in the movies, an overpowered force to be feared.

Instead, we got a pinata in a hockey mask.

• Like 1

Just now, SirMang said:

What I was gonna say

6 minutes ago, SirMang said:

I mean, I think they got it right. He DOES get wrecked in the movies a lot. He's a clumsy oaf in 2, gets beat up by a teenage girl in 3, and killed by a child in 4. He's a tank it 6 (though he still gets stunned, and Tommy is able to wrestle him) and in 7 he's back getting beat up. 

All that aside, how would the game be fun for counselors if they couldn't fight Jason at all?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Coach Feratu said:

I mean, I think they got it right. He DOES get wrecked in the movies a lot. He's a clumsy oaf in 2, gets beat up by a teenage girl in 3, and killed by a child in 4. He's a tank it 6 (though he still gets stunned, and Tommy is able to wrestle him) and in 7 he's back getting beat up. 

All that aside, how would the game be fun for counselors if they couldn't fight Jason at all?

in 7 the only reason he gets "beat up" is because he's dealing with a girl that has telekinetic powers.  He shrugs off having a porch roof fall on him like nothing.  Meanwhile in this game a branch can knock him out for 10 seconds.  

In what movie did you watch where everyone fights Jason?  And gets the upper hand the majority of the time?  

In what movie did you watch where Jason's mask is flying off in the first minute?  

Jason in the movie is a dude who takes shots from guns like nothing and a flare gun in this game stuns him.  

It's laughable how much of a pussy they made Jason, in comparison to the movies

1 minute ago, SirMang said:

in 7 the only reason he gets "beat up" is because he's dealing with a girl that has telekinetic powers.  He shrugs off having a porch roof fall on him like nothing.  Meanwhile in this game a branch can knock him out for 10 seconds.  

In what movie did you watch where everyone fights Jason?  And gets the upper hand the majority of the time?  

In what movie did you watch where Jason's mask is flying off in the first minute?  

Jason in the movie is a dude who takes shots from guns like nothing and a flare gun in this game stuns him.  

You're right. Not everyone fights him. Usually it's ONE TEEN GIRL. And what do you mean "majority of the time" I'm still a novice, but I almost ALWAYS sweep, even against experienced and organized teams. 

F13 was the game that got me playing online multiplayer games for the first time. Before it came out, i would play single player games on pc or playstation 2. And then, i heard they were making a Friday the 13th game and the first thing i saw was the Tommy Jarvis trailer and honestly, i thought it was a single player game so i went out a purchased it. Then i realized it was multiplayer so i decided to try it and honestly, i loved it. Made a lot of friends playing it who i still talk to and play different games to this day together. 

The lawsuit really killed this game, yeah there were glitches and bugs and toxic players, but once they were forced to stop releasing new content, it really created a decline in the game. Think about it though, if they never had a lawsuit, then we would've gotten the space map, jason x, new counselors, new maps, dlcs, paranoia mode and other stuff, imagine how good the game would've been.

I play dead by daylight now but it's no where near as fun as Friday the 13th is. 

On 4/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, SirMang said:

I assume the thought was to make every counselor have "final girl" potential. The game would be very boring if you couldn't fight back. That's not to say Jason isn't a bit underpowered. He is. But getting the balance right when there's no separation between newbies and veterans isn't easy.