Best/Preferred Jason  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jason do players consider to be the best?

• Part 2
    • Part 3
    • Part 4
    • Part 5
    • Part 6
    • Part 7
    • Part 8
    • Part 9

59 minutes ago, Coach Feratu said:

He is not "objectively" the worst. There are other Jasons with -traps, and destruction is useful. It doesn't matter if you do it the "right way" the destruction bonus WILL get you through that door faster. 9 is objectively the worst. Especially if you're worried about Jason killers. Shift grab isn't the ONLY way to win as Jason. 4's other strengths reduce the need for a great shift. Between running and destruction, you WILL be closing the distance between you and counselors faster than other Jasons. You don't need a great shift. But of course, none of this changes the fact that I never said 4 was great. Just that he was my favorite. And NONE of the Jasons are garbage. A good Jason can usually sweep. Even against great players.

Getting -shift is a serious deal as half the counselors can outrun Jason any time, and the only way to catch up with them is shift (morph ain't that accurate so is not an option)

15 minutes ago, VLK said:

Getting -shift is a serious deal as half the counselors can outrun Jason any time, and the only way to catch up with them is shift (morph ain't that accurate so is not an option)

Counselors run out of stamina. I'm not denying that -shift is a big deal, but 4 is such an excellent chaser, that it balances out. It's not like he doesn't have shift. Like I said, he's not the best, but his strengths keep him from being the worst.

All of Jason's abilities have a cooldown you know? point being that he can't control objectives and can't outrun targets that easily is serious deal to me, I remember having a Jarvis and two Vanessa committing suicide by taking damage jumping trough broken windows while I chased them last time I used this Jason

The best and worst Jason is a subjective concept.

It would be more practical to say that each Jason fits the play style of certain players over others.

Part 8 is my personal favorite, but I find use in each one.

Some players can clear a lobby as any Jason. Others may not be as capable. You win some, you lose some.

Pick the Jason that works best for you, and consistently gets the job done. Mother's watching after all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Coach Feratu said:

Counselors run out of stamina. I'm not denying that -shift is a big deal, but 4 is such an excellent chaser, that it balances out. It's not like he doesn't have shift. Like I said, he's not the best, but his strengths keep him from being the worst.

Vanessa and Tommy can outjog Part IV and can do it for days. 

So 4's running ability means nothing. 

His strengths do not matter, his weaknesses are so glaringly bad with the way the game is played.  It's why you see every Jason, but him, getting a vote here. 

On 4/24/2020 at 12:59 AM, F13 Seppuku Squad said:

Thank you @Fair Play 🥳 The topic is so SUBJECTIVE it hurts, lol.

You're welcome.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, Coach Feratu said:

He is not "objectively" the worst. There are other Jasons with -traps, and destruction is useful. It doesn't matter if you do it the "right way" the destruction bonus WILL get you through that door faster. 9 is objectively the worst. Especially if you're worried about Jason killers. Shift grab isn't the ONLY way to win as Jason. 4's other strengths reduce the need for a great shift. Between running and destruction, you WILL be closing the distance between you and counselors faster than other Jasons. You don't need a great shift. But of course, none of this changes the fact that I never said 4 was great. Just that he was my favorite. And NONE of the Jasons are garbage. A good Jason can usually sweep. Even against great players.

There isn't really an objectively worst Jason. So much depends on the person's play style. I personally put 9 above 4. But he also fits my style much more than 4.

@Fair Play you made my point exactly. 

On 4/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, Fair Play said:

The best and worst Jason is a subjective concept.

There is nothing really subjective about this topic, tbh. 

Top players use Part III pretty much exclusively for a reason.

Almost all players avoid Part IV for a reason. 

Now there is some opinion if you prefer say Part V or Part VI or Part VIII since all are viable, depending on your playstyle.

But there's still definitely tiers on the viability of the Jason's in the game, just like there are tiers on the viability of the counselors in the game. 

@thrawn3054, someone had to do it.

@SirMang, this topic can potentially be both subjective and objective. It's leaning more in the direction of subjective overall.

subjective (adj.)

based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

objective (adj.)

(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

The topic was called "Best/Preferred Jason". A preference tends to lean in the direction of a subjective decision.

If the topic had been "Most Viable Jason", the conversation would have been more objective in nature.

I don't doubt that Part IV is near the bottom for many players. It's not my place to judge the decisions of a person selecting or defending a given Jason. It's also not my place to judge a player's counselor choice, map choice, or perk choice. To each their own.

Everyone is not a top tier player. Some of the player base is not as focused on the tiers of things in this game. If they wish to explore the knowledge of such things one day, the information is out there.

I've played a great many matches, and I've occasionally seen things that have gone against the tide of what the average and above average player is used to seeing. There are Part IV Jason players that can clear a lobby at times, and there are Part III Jason players that are terrible. Exceptions to the rule happen at times.

• Like 2

If ya'll watched freekyjt play with part 3. He's easily the best. 

I prefer Part 6 since he has a magnificent shift, several throwing knives, and enough traps to protect both cars and the fuse box. 

There have been times where I needed to be able to swim faster, morph, or just be able to run to stop a juking counselor, but overall 6 gets it done. 

I would’ve thrown an extra $100 toward their kickstarter to get Amy Steel to come in and do some voice work, especially since they make the Part 2 shack an important part of every map. 

I know it’s been about a year since this thread was created and responded to, and obviously now with the lack of support from the creators the game is what it is. With all that said, here is my attempt to oversimplify this question. 

The answer is: it depends  

It’s more about what you value and how you like to play as Jason. Since everyone seems to focus on how bad Pt 4 is, allow me to say this about my fugly friend: he’s real strong in the beginning of the match with his ability to run and break down doors quickly. If you slash someone you’re gonna do major damage. As the round goes on his strengths are diminished and he’s more of a liability after the first five minutes (the most important few minutes of any round). His -shift hurts at the end of the round even once rage kicks in because it takes so long to reuse it and his shift doesn’t cover much ground. I’m a better counselor than I am as Jason but I’ve surely wiped many a lobby clean against top tier players as pt 4. I’ve also been wildly frustrated at the end of the round with him as well. 
As many posters have pointed out, it’s more about your style and what strengths you value. I value the pressure a running Jason puts on counselors, the destruction on locked doors a powerful Jason has, the ability to morph around the map (+traps and +morph = a good Jason even if pt 2 has weaknesses) and I think knives are important but nowhere near as important as traps (I can always grab a few extra knives as the round goes on but sure it’s a bonus to start with them). So pt 4 has two of the four things I value. I love pt 2 as well and I promise even a great lobby of counselors will have their hands full with me and pt 2 Jason. Everyone knocks those two Jason’s after 7 got tweaked and doesn’t suck so much any more, however I still really like both and have lots of success with both (until the boat gets started and I can’t catch it). 
But it’s how you play AND evolve, as the players around you do too. I never cared about defense and stun resistance but as I’ve gotten better with Jason I’ve come to realize you can’t beat great counselors unless you learn to block their attacks. The other night I was playing a full lobby and wasted everyone except one Chad. I was pt 2 and had a good plan and executed it (one of the best things any player can do is look at what ranking the players are before the round starts. If you’re in a loaded lobby you better have a plan of attack. If you’re going up against a bunch of mid-40 level players you can approach it differently lol). This one Chad tho...I blocked four of his five attacks on me in the round and got knocked down on three of the four I blocked. I acknowledge he had the best stun weapon (bat) but I was stunned (see what I did there) I went down on three of four blocks (tbh that’s bogus I don’t care how good the perks are that’s just garbage in my not-so-humble opinion). If I had used a Jason with better defense and stun resistance maybe I would’ve stayed on my feet more. Then again, I still wiped out 7 of 8. 
I don’t like using the “undead” Jason’s because I really value the running ability in the early parts of any round (I’ll say it again: the first five minutes of any round are the most important). Having seven traps and a great morph allows pt 2 Jason to lock down objectives early on. Lots of players still think he’s trash. Nothing like placing a few traps in places people aren’t quick to look and catching a level 150 in a trap they never ever saw coming. 
Players try talking trash on their headsets all the time when the round starts and I’m a pt 2 or 4 Jason. And then I kill em all and they don’t seem to have as much to say other than I’m a teamer lol (it’s so satisfying when someone assumes I’m cheating because that’s the only way their mind can wrap itself around how I killed them and the other counselors so quickly). 

As the one commenter made mention, to each their own. 

Having a Jason who can’t run basically means (to me, anyways) you’re going to be less effective in the early parts of the round (did I mention yet those are the most important minutes of any round?). You’re not catching anyone on foot nor is anyone scared of you to do so. If you aren’t part 8 you’re not breaking in quickly to counselor cabins. Later in the round the undead Jason’s are great but that’s just just me and how I play and what I’ve seen. 

As a last example, I find pt 3 retro (because of the quieter music and how hard he is to see in the dark) and pt 8 to be the Jason’s I find the hardest to play against when manned by a skilled player. Not 2 or 4. Maybe because I know those Jason’s better? My point is, the Jason’s I’m most effective with aren’t the ones I struggle the most against. 

I think the one thing we can all agree on is Chad is totally a momma’s boy and I love to smash bird baths on his head and break his neck simultaneously. Or is that just me?😬

Play on, players. Do your best to do your worst. 🔪❤️

Thanks @Carrboxx1,

I always use Part 2. He's the one I started with and therefore I have gained a fair bit of skill using him. I am often able to kill all the counsellors and I would have to have a truly terrible round to kill less than half (it happens very occasionally). I have however often wondered whether I would be even more successful with a "statistically better" Jason. I love using Part 2 so much that I will probably never find out. Don't get me wrong - I have tried every Jason but not repeatedly.

I am a pretty good Jason but I remain a mediocre counsellor. I have improved over time as a counsellor but not at the same rate that my Jason skills have improved. I think perhaps I am an impatient counsellor and I take too many risks, getting things done quickly. I am completely focused on repairing everything and perhaps not enough on survival. It's frustrating to have repaired the phone and one or both cars/boat and to die and witness cowardly players escaping because they've spent the entire round avoiding any danger! I also won't escape in either vehicle unless it is full - which gets me killed from time to time.

To be honest I play the game in anticipation of being Jason. Sometimes I have a satisfying round as a counsellor but it's never as good as being Jason.

14 hours ago, Carrboxx1 said:

I’m a better counselor than I am as Jason but I’ve surely wiped many a lobby clean against top tier players as pt 4.

I very seriously doubt that. I believe you can easily wipe an average high level public lobby. But playing competitively, I can assure you that part 4 Jason is the worst. Most Jason mains I know struggle to kill half a lobby with part 4. And more often than not, he'll end up with an axe in his head.

15 hours ago, Carrboxx1 said:

I never cared about defense and stun resistance but as I’ve gotten better with Jason I’ve come to realize you can’t beat great counselors unless you learn to block their attacks

-defense means nothing more than -hit points. And after oodles of testing, I can assure you that stun resistance means nothing as well.

The only way to ensure that you'll be able to block effectively is to play on host. So either host a lobby in pubs, or host a lobby in private matches.

15 hours ago, Carrboxx1 said:

I don’t like using the “undead” Jason’s because I really value the running ability in the early parts of any round

Eh, they're not so bad...

Part 6 is great on small maps with plus shift, plus knives, and 5 traps. His only downside on large maps is that minus morph is a crippling weakness.

Part 7 is great on big maps and against kill squads. Weapon strength plus his somewhat broken super noise ping sensing ability. The only Jason in the game that can potentially see AJ's noise pings.

Part 9 plays like Savini's baby sister. His only crippling weakness, despite having less hit points, is that he doesn't have either weapon strength or plus knives.

Part 8 is the worst of the walkers. The only thing he really has going for him is destruction. 

17 hours ago, Carrboxx1 said:

IThe answer is: it depends  

Its more about what you value and how you like to play as Jason.

This pretty much sums up it right here. I try to avoid ranking Jasons since the topic is so subjective, so I prefer to reference the Jason's I personally enjoy using. I like using P8 & Roy, they work for me and how I like to play. I don't care much for P9 or P4, but if they work for somebody else, I'm not going to argue with them. I've never really select my Jason based off his strengths anyway. I'll take advantage of whichever set that particular Jason gives me.  I'm more concerned about his weaknesses... Specifically minus shift, and minus traps, so I try to avoid Jason's with either one of these. 

Which brings us to our friend P4, who I know quite a bit about because since I used to use him a lot, and was quite effective with him too... Then a funny thing happen. The adjustment to rage mode happened, and like good counselor players do, they adjusted to it rather quickly. All of the sudden, half the lobby wasn't trying to run me around and troll me for 20 minutes, which was always to my advantage as P4. Instead, they were now trying to get those objectives completed as quickly as possible, and good luck trying to stop those cars or the boat if one or both get going. With his poor shift, you're just shit out of luck, especially if you whiff on that first morph and the guy with the keys knows how to drive at all. I learned fast that P4 just wasn't going to work for me anymore. The mask buff made things even worse for P4, since the harder the counselors push objectives the less effective he becomes. Even his weapon strength and destruction can be neutralized by counselors who know how to control their stamina and don't allow Jason to get close enough to get many good swings at them.