Best/Preferred Counsellor  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Counsellor do players consider to be the best?

• A.J. Mason
    • Adam Palomino
    • Brandon "Buggzy" Wilson
    • Chad Kensington
    • Deborah Kim
    • Eric "J.R." LaChappa
    • Fox
    • Jenny Myers
    • Kenny Riedell
    • Mitch Floyd
    • Sheldon "Shelly" Finkelstein
    • Tiffany Cox
    • Vanessa Jones
    • Victoria Sterling

Which Counsellor do players consider to be the best/their favourite choice? I realise individual responses will depend on play style but I'd like to get a general idea. I have deliberately not included Tommy Jarvis in this list. I also did not include poor Rob Dier (Jason's first first victim at the beginning of each round).

I would love to read any explanations.

My go to is Fox and Adam.....both can fight/ repair/ and escape whatever the situation is called for.

but as this is a poll I foresee Vanessa winning it hands down.....as she is a lot of players go to Jason hunter.

I prefer speed/stamina over repair, and I do pretty well with keeping Jason distracting and at the times we go for the kill, stealing the sweater. Although Vanessa is hands down one of the best counselors in a skilled player’s hands,  she doesn’t have very good stealth and she makes a lot of noise. As Tiffany you’ll be able to run, not always be on jason’s radar, and at the same time help bring parts to repair characters.  Recently though I’ve been playing Vanessa because I feel like she’s one of the counselors I do best with. I don’t die very often and I’m good at juking Jason. I still prefer Tiffany in terms of stats, though. 

(Also, I’m working on No Fear Jenny, so once I try that out maybe my opinion will change. I know my play style is more of a runner than a repairer, though. I will help the team with healing, etc.)

I voted Vanessa because I've been in a few PMs that wouldnt allow you to play as her. Lol 

I dont think there are any truly OP counselors but Vanessa's combo of speed and stam is fantastic, especially during Jason's Rage.  If you have never rage quit as Jason from being trolled by a Vanessa you are a liar. Jk lol

Deb's my ride or die. I've messed around with other counselors, but I just can't give up that 10 repair, come whatever else may. Deb specifically for the dual utility as Sweater Girl. 

Statistically speaking, the next best counselor to Jarvis is Nessa, hands down. As far as speed and stamina go anyway. But since you weren't specific about the best I'll list the best based on what your goal is for the match.

First I'm going to split it down into two groups, based on what we would run for competitive play. Runners and repair.

Runners are:  Nessa, Tiff, Vicky, Jenny (no fear build), Chad, Buggzy. 

Repair are:  Lachappa, Deb, Fox, AJ, Kenny, Fox, Adam, Mitch, Shelly.

Top 3 runners are Nessa, Chad, and No Fear Jenny. Nessa for her speed and stam alone, Chad and Jenny for their high luck stat. And not just because of increased weapon durability either. Luck is also important because you can start cars on a stun. Meaning if Jason stops your car, pulls you out, and someone stuns him (or you have a pk), you can jump right back in and restart it while Jason is still stuck in his stun animation. The worst runners are Tiff and Buggzy.

Top 3 repair are Lachappa, Deb, and Fox. I would put Deb above Lachappa under most conditions (since she is sweater eligible), except if you're running epic/legendary grease monkey. With this perk build Lachappa's 5 luck becomes high enough to start the car on a stun, putting him well above Deb in terms of escape. Worst repair counselors are AJ,  Mitch, and Shelly.

Now that we've separated runners from repair lets separate into the 3 most likely match goals: Kill, Escape, and Survive the Night.

Top 2 for STN are Nessa and Chad. For perks, Nessa and Chad should get medic, thick, and either hypo, swift, or NOS.

Top 2 for escape are obviously Lachappa and Deb. Since either one can fix objectives in Jason's face. Again edging Lachappa over Deb if he's equipped with grease monkey.

Top 2 for the kill, for obvious reasons, are Nessa and Fox. A good perk build for Fox is medic thick and swift. Females can out swing males anyway, but add on swift attack and there's a very high chance that even a Jason playing on host will not be able to block a hit. Very lethal build for getting the mask.

I'm sure I've unleashed some butthurt with this list, but statistically it's all accurate.

• Like 1

I don't believe there is a best counselor.  I believe there is a best counselor in each individual category.  I classify the counselors into each of the following categories: 

1.  The Mechanics:  These are counselors who are good at repairing objectives.  A counselor needs a six or higher score in repair to qualify for this role.

2.  The Runners:  These are counselors who are good at running.  They excel at kiting and juking Jason.  They're also good at delivering parts to objectives.  To qualify for this role, a counselor needs a six or higher score in stamina.

3.  The Defenders:  These counselors are good at protecting mechanics while  they repair objectives.  A counselor needs a six or higher in luck to qualify for this role.

4.  The Brawlers:  These counselors are good at going toe to toe with Jason and knocking off his mask.  To qualify for this role,  a counselor needs a six or higher score in strength.

5.  The Double Classes:  These are counselors who can do double duty in the above categories.  In order to qualify for this role, a counselor needs a six or higher in two or more of the following stats:  repair, stamina, luck, and strength.

A couple of weeks ago, I submitted several polls asking people who they think the best counselor in each category is.  Here are the current results of those polls:

1.  The Mechanics:  Deborah Kim

2.  The Runners:  Vanessa Jones

3:  The Defenders:  Vanessa Jones

4.  The Brawlers:  Brandon "Buggzy" Wilson

5.  The Double Classes:  Vanessa Jones

The results indicate that Vanessa is the most popular counselor in each category that she qualifies for.  Because of that, I believe she's going to be the winner of this poll.  A lot of people seem to like her.

Having said that and for those who are interested, my main counselor is Fox and I voted for her in this poll.  I'm the kind of player who likes to repair things and have a decent amount of stamina so I can run from Jason when necessary.  With her six in repair and five in stamina, Fox is the best counselor for my particular playstyle.

Kiting/tanking/trolling: Vanessa (grossly overpowered and needs to be nerfed; top pick for both noobs and Jason trollers; Chad used to be top tier here as well before Rage was implemented)

Repair: Deb/AJ (depends on your play style: with the right build AJ is the best lone wolf repair counselor whereas Deb is a better team player because she has greater flexibility with her perks and thus doesn't necessarily have to avoid Jason & other counselors)

Item running: Tiffany (Vanessa gives you a lot more flexibility but Tiffany is your girl if you like covering a lot of ground quickly without Jason noticing immediately; probably a decent lone wolf sweater girl choice too though I haven't tried it)

De-masking: Buggzy (only reliably useful in organized teams since de-masking just makes things harder without a sweater girl and competent Tommy)

Honorable mention: No Fear Jenny build (I personally find her too limited regardless of her perks since she'll always be slow and poor at repair; some swear by it though)

The only reason to use any counselor besides the ones above is if you don't like to limit yourself to a specific play style or if you want to give yourself a challenge.

I voted for Deb due to high repair and stealth. She has decent enough stamina and speed, plus SG ability. I've played all counselors and although Vanessa is the girl of popular choice, I've not had much luck with her. Granted that it also depends on player skill so I simply give nods to everyone and their counselor of choice. I've seen players give Jason a good run around with just about every counselor,  including Jenny and Shelly.   But for me it's Deb with AJ as a strong second.  Cheers and game on, my friends 

• Like 1

Best repairer- Deborah easy. 

Best runners- Tiff and Vanessa. High stamina wins the race. 

Counselors who can do it all- Adam and Fox 

Best at survive the night- Tiff, Vanessa, and Chad

Best trolls- Chad and Vanessa 

Best at being useless- Shelly

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 2:17 PM, GeneiJin said:

Best Underrated counselor - Jenny.

She is definitely underrated. I used to be in that camp long ago.

Vanessa is going to be the most popular answer. And for good reason. She's the best at doing what needs to be done. Be that as a parts runner, distraction, or fighter. There are others that can do each role better. But nobody does them all as well as she does. That said A.J. is probably still my favorite. 

On 4/17/2020 at 1:33 AM, DontZzz34 said:

Best repairer- Deborah easy. 

Best runners- Tiff and Vanessa. High stamina wins the race. 

Counselors who can do it all- Adam and Fox 

Best at survive the night- Tiff, Vanessa, and Chad

Best trolls- Chad and Vanessa 

Best at being useless- Shelly

Deb is not easily the best repair counselor. I can make an argument for A.J. and LaChappa.

LaChappa has a huge psychology advantage. No Jason takes him seriously. They all think he's an easy kill. I've ran Jason's for 10 minutes with LaChappa because they were too stubborn to realize LaChappa wasn't an easy target. He also has higher luck making him better at starting the car.

A.J. is a silent ninja. She can sneak around the map fixing things while Jason is none the wiser. Through on Lightfoot and she's completely silent. Here stamina, composure, and stealth are better than Deb. Her only real weakness is her abysmal luck stat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

A.J. is a silent ninja. She can sneak around the map fixing things while Jason is none the wiser. Through on Lightfoot and she's completely silent. Here stamina, composure, and stealth are better than Deb. Her only real weakness is her abysmal luck stat.

Absolutely. You need to actively avoid Jason and other counselors while using her and that is the opposite of how most people seem to like to play the game so she tends to get underrated. Still, she's easily the best lone wolf repair character and can be very effective in a team if people know what they're doing (ie, leave her the f*ck alone and get the hell away from objectives after dropping off parts).

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies and for your votes.

Before this poll I was exclusively using Vanessa Jones with Legendary Marathon, Nerves Of Steel and Thick Skinned. I focus on completing objectives, moving lots of items around the map and even making repairs when players with better repair stats won't/can't repair. I understand how the game works and I'm a pretty good Jason (I kill all counsellors most rounds) but I seem to just suck at being a counsellor! I am often killed early on in the round, probably because I am moving around the map too much too fast - moving items with Vanessa's very low stealth stat. Even when I come back as perfect Tommy - I often get killed again! Don't get me wrong I have survived/escaped many times in every possible way (even killing Jason) but my record of survival is so much lower than my success as Jason.

I have changed to Deborah Kim for the time being and overall I am doing better...but not as well as I would like to. Perhaps I need to watch some YouTube clips of really good players and see what I am missing? The best counsellor player I have seen (on Nintendo Switch) is a guy called Michael. He always plays as Victoria Sterling - who nobody voted for on this poll! This guy is an absolute phenomenon and survives/escapes almost every game (though I have killed him at least once). It just goes to show that a really good player may have a less popular counsellor or Jason choice that enables them to best play their own style.

Thanks for your help.

Matt P

Not too many really good players use Deb tbh. Not by choice anyway. But she has good stealth as long as you don't sprint and obviously great repair. She can run Jason around a little bit from cabin to cabin but she usually won't last too long out in the open. She was made to be gone before it comes to that.

• Confused 1

No fear Jenny for me. The always quick stamina regen even when Jason is hounding you is great. Quick car starts, doesn’t scream around Jason and can jog quicker than the zombie Jason’s. 

Her big downside is if everyone else is dead you’re probably not going to fix anything else so surviving the night is your only option if nothing isn’t already fixed. Though she is one of the best at surviving one on one if it gets to that.  

I think it depends on your preferred method of "winning" the game. Do you want to escape and fly under the radar? Play someone like Deborah or AJ. Do you want to tango with Jason and run him around the map? Play someone like Vanessa or Tiffany.  If you want to have an open play style and have the option of doing a little of both, pick a middle-ground character like Fox, Adam, or Kenny.  I don't know that there's one "best" counselor. Just my opinion at least.

• Like 1

Depends what you like to do. Stealth and repair - AJ and Mitch.   Adaptable: Kenny and Fox.  Strength and speed: Buggsy and Adam.  Waiting for other people to fix stuff and then escaping: Tiffany!

dude c'mon everybody knows lachappa is the legend tommy jarvis wished to be