Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DontZzz34

Do you consider F13 a horror game?

Do you consider F13 a horror game?  

32 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you consider F13 a horror game?

    • Yes
      24
    • No
      8


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Jason Lover said:

Halloween is an ACCIDENTAL masterpiece while Psycho is a genuine masterpiece. And I don't think that A Nightmare on Elm Street was even remotely inspired by Halloween. Wes Craven came up with the idea for Nightmare in 1978 from newspaper stories before John Carpenter's movie even came out. 

I don’t think any film while in the process of filming thinks their film is going to be a masterpiece....They Attempt to make the best movie that they can with the Actors, Story and effects....they Make changes according to budget restraints etc.....

....I highly doubt Hitchcock thought that Psycho was going to be a masterpiece in horror either......He promoted the hell out of it.....he knew how to sell it to the people.

The Man was a Genius when it came to filmmaking and marketing.... which is why several of his films are masterpieces.  

It Just so happens that society has deemed both Halloween and Psycho  both as Grandaddys and masterpieces of Horror.

*** Edit*** What Wes Craven did With A Nightmare on Elm Street was definitely original but you’re mistaken if you think that New Lines intentions were not to capitalize on the success of what Halloween and Friday the 13th had Accomplished ...that was why they Hired Wes to do their Horror movie in the first place.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In beta absolutely.

Nobody knew how to play. The game was brand new. The horror was new.

That disappeared a bit after launch once people learned the game and the nerfs, bugs and whatnot were exploited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

I don’t think any film while in the process of filming thinks their film is going to be a masterpiece....They Attempt to make the best movie that they can with the Actors Story and effects....they Make changes according to budget restraints etc.....

....I highly doubt Hitchcock thought that psycho was going to be a masterpiece in horror either......He promoted the hell out of it.....he knew how to sell it to the people.

The Man was a Genius when it came to filmmaking and marketing.... which is why several of his films are masterpieces.  

It Just so happens that society has deemed both Halloween and Psycho  both as Grandaddys and masterpieces of Horror.

*** Edit*** What Wes Craven did With A Nightmare on Elm Street was definitely original but you’re mistaken if you think that New Lines intentions were not to capitalize on the success of what Halloween had and Accomplished ...that was why they Hired Wes to do their Horror movie in the first place.

 

In 1981 movie studios weren't even interested in the A Nightmare on Elm Street project which proves that your point on Halloween inspiring everything that came after it moot. Was The Evil Dead inspired by Halloween? It ain't even in the same sub-genre. And on a side note Halloween did NOT come up with the killers POV shot so Halloween fans should get over themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason Lover said:

In 1981 movie studios weren't even interested in the A Nightmare on Elm Street project which proves that your point on Halloween inspiring everything that came after it moot

Definitely not Moot.....

There is a big difference between inspired by and ripping off ........Even Halloween was inspired by the films before it.....Using a successful  template as a base for original story ideas (Inspiration)...is not the same as rehashing the same story elements and similar characters over and over (Ripping off).......and in 1981 There were a slew of slasher rip off copy cats so studios were definitely trying to capitalize on or even duplicate Halloweens success.....Hell Universal  was doing the Sequel to the original.

And Actually Nightmare wasn’t even a twinkle in Wes Craven Eye or New Lines Until they saw how Profitable F13 was for Paramount........But we don’t need to talk about What Film F13 was trying to rip off when it was originally being conceived.....😉(Cough....cough...Halloween  🎃 )

Even though F13 originally set out to Rip off Halloween it doesn’t mean that there aren’t a ton of original ideas or new concepts in each film.

in 1984 A Nightmare on Elm St. Came out as popularity and profits for the genre was starting to trail off because of all the “ Copy cat Slasher” films since Halloween Released.....

It brought with it new original concepts that blew up the popularity for horror that gave us many more sequels to the franchises we love....

But make no mistake both Nightmare and F13 and many more were inspired by the success or ideas of John Carpenters Halloween.

 

Quote

Was The Evil Dead inspired by Halloween? It ain't even in the same sub-genre.

Without the success of low budget films like Halloween We wouldn’t have these jewels today......so yes in a way Halloween inspired Films like Evil Dead as well.

Quote

And on a side note Halloween did NOT come up with the killers POV shot so Halloween fans should get over themselves.

Lol I didn’t say Halloween came up with The killer POV I said it scared the Audience in a completely new way compared to the films before it.

Lol  “Halloween fans should get over themselves.” No one said this or that franchise is better then any other they all have great qualities and concepts.........but to not see where the majority of the modern Horror genre took inspiration from is being blissfully Naive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Definitely not Moot.....

There is a big difference between inspired by and ripping off ........Even Halloween was inspired by the films before it.....Using a success template as a base for original story ideas (Inspiration)...is not the same as rehashing the same story elements and similar characters over and over (Ripping off).......and in 1981 There were a slew of slasher rip off copy cats so studios were definitely trying to capitalize on or even duplicate Halloweens success.....Hell they were doing Sequels to the original.

And Actually A Nightmare wasn’t even a twinkle in Wes Craven Eye or New Lines Until they saw how Profitable F13 was for Paramount........But we don’t need to talk about What Film F13 was trying to rip off when it was originally being conceived.....😉(Cough....cough...Halloween  🎃 )

Even though F13 originally set out to Rip off Halloween it doesn’t mean that there aren’t a ton of original ideas or new concepts in each film.

in 1984 A Nightmare on Elm St. Came out as popularity and profits for the genre was starting to trail off because of all the “ Copy cat Slasher” films since Halloween Released.....

It brought with it new original concepts that blew up the popularity for horror that gave us many more sequels to the franchises we love....

But make no mistake both Nightmare and F13 and many more were inspired by the success or ideas of John Carpenters Halloween.

 

Without the success of low budget films like Halloween We wouldn’t have these jewels today......so yes in a way Halloween inspired Films like Evil Dead as well.

Lol I didn’t say Halloween came up with The killer POV I said it scared the Audience in a completely new way compared to the films before it.

Lol  “Halloween fans should get over themselves.” No one said this or that franchise is better then any other they all have great qualities and concepts.........but to not see where the majority of the modern Horror genre took inspiration from is being blissfully Naive.

It's total horseshit when you say that Halloween scared people in new ways never before seen. You're thinking of The Exorcist. Like I said Halloween fans does need to get over themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, Jason Lover said:

It's total horseshit when you say that Halloween scared people in new ways never before seen.

No that’s actually not Horse shit....It is 100% true.

It Created the template that many, many many, many other films attempted to copy/ imitate/ re-hash and rip off......it also inspired others to be more creative and add to the horror genre allowing them to stand out on their own while still using Halloween’s Template ......that is a long list as well.
 

Quote

You're thinking of The Exorcist. Like I said Halloween fans does need to get over themselves.

Nope......definitely not thinking The Exorcist.....Especially since it is not a slasher film... There is no body count....it’s a Horror/suspense thriller.....

It also scared audiences in new ways as well.....but on a different level than what Halloween and the Other slasher Films attempt to do (spiritually)....so that comparison is moot 😉.

You keep saying Halloween fans need to get over themselves.....what’s with the Hate?
 

@DontZzz34 sorry to keep getting your topic off track buddy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

.@DontZzz34 sorry to keep getting your topic off track buddy. 

It’s fine. I like the discussions. I honestly don’t see why he’s hating on Halloween so much. It’s an awesome franchise just like F13. Michael and Jason are two horror legends

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jason Lover said:

In 1981 movie studios weren't even interested in the A Nightmare on Elm Street project which proves that your point on Halloween inspiring everything that came after it moot. Was The Evil Dead inspired by Halloween? It ain't even in the same sub-genre. And on a side note Halloween did NOT come up with the killers POV shot so Halloween fans should get over themselves.

Neither did Psycho.

Peeping Tom did. 

Psycho was just marketed better and used a different strategy than Peeping Tom did because Peeping Tom bombed at the box office.  Peeping Tom was released 2 months before Psycho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

It’s fine. I like the discussions. I honestly don’t see why he’s hating on Halloween so much. It’s an awesome franchise just like F13. Michael and Jason are two horror legends

Agreed 100% 

These movie Franchises and characters haven’t lasted this long without becoming Legendary icons and thoroughly entertaining films.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and no. When you are newer to the game it absolutely was. Even though it was a buggy mess I kinda miss those first few months the game was out. I miss the horror feeling you had because you just didn't know how to do everything so efficiently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point in time for me when this game was less like a horror experience was when the camp was turned into an armory during that one patch. It felt more like a Rambo film.

I can imagine how much more horror-like this game could have been if not for the lawsuit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thrawn3054 said:

Yes and no. When you are newer to the game it absolutely was. Even though it was a buggy mess I kinda miss those first few months the game was out. I miss the horror feeling you had because you just didn't know how to do everything so efficiently. 

Right, I hear this 1000%. Once you figure out how to take advantage of Jason and his weaknesses you’re not scared anymore. One of the reasons why we need Jason re worked so we can have something feel more fresh/new to us. Game gets repetitive these days.

@Fair Play are you talking about the patches they started nerfing Jason? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DontZzz34 said:

Right, I hear this 1000%. Once you figure out how to take advantage of Jason and his weaknesses you’re not scared anymore. One of the reasons why we need Jason re worked so we can have something feel more fresh/new to us. Game gets repetitive these days.

@Fair Play are you talking about the patches they started nerfing Jason? 

Pretty much no matter what they would do people would get desensitized to it pretty quickly.

He's talking about the December 2017 patch that added knives, shotguns, and med sprays to the campfires. They want to give people a reason to check out those spots. The code was messed up and caused every campfire to have a spray and knife. Usually a shotgun too. This lead to every game having 3 to 5 shotguns and somewhere between 6 to 8 knives per map. I remember one game I literally found 5 knives. It was a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall ever being scared in a match but shitting my pants in virtual cabin...lol.
The game doesn't involve much tension either, it's the most laid back multiplayer game I have ever played really but it still pretty much is horror. Bunch of kids get slaughtered by big guy. I mean you could argue it's even a "powerfantasy" game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree that no matter what is done to rebalance the game, there will always be a group of players that adapt rather quickly to those changes. I consider it the equivalent to how the Borg operate in the Star Trek universe.

The fear of the unknown is exciting, until the unknown becomes predictable common knowledge.

Players start by playing as intended. Once that gets stale, players get creative. I've seen players enjoying this game with a number of outside the box ideas. Eventually those lose their luster, players get bored, and start trolling, or leave the game entirely.

Regardless of whether or not this game gives players a feeling of horror, one thing is clear. This game has shown that there is a market for similar games. Other games have come out, and more will continue to be made. I look forward to seeing what is yet to come.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I look forward to seeing what is yet to come.

Hopefully HALLOWEEN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

Hopefully HALLOWEEN

Anything's possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is no different than actual horror movies. After a while it loses its scare factor.  I doubt anyone here still finds the F13 movies "scary" but we love to watch them anyhow.  

As for which movie copied which, it is a moot point.  All movies build off the ones before it.  And that doesnt mean they are copying.  They are just building off of what others have done.  No difference with music or science or pretty much anything.  For every "original" idea there are a bunch of "inspirations" for said idea.  

My personal early faves were Black Christmas, Hills have eyes, elm st, April Fools Day,  and the all time masterpiece... Sleepaway Camp (the ending freaked the crap outta me as well as made me lmao)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 1:05 PM, OCT 31 1978 said:

No that’s actually not Horse shit....It is 100% true.

It Created the template that many, many many, many other films attempted to copy/ imitate/ re-hash and rip off......it also inspired others to be more creative and add to the horror genre allowing them to stand out on their own while still using Halloween’s Template ......that is a long list as well.
 

Nope......definitely not thinking The Exorcist.....Especially since it is not a slasher film... There is no body count....it’s a Horror/suspense thriller.....

It also scared audiences in new ways as well.....but on a different level than what Halloween and the Other slasher Films attempt to do (spiritually)....so that comparison is moot 😉.

You keep saying Halloween fans need to get over themselves.....what’s with the Hate?
 

@DontZzz34 sorry to keep getting your topic off track buddy. 

I never said anything remotely hateful. You know I don't want to have to admit that Halloween fans are dumb and don't know anything about movie history but that's kinda true. Take my nephew for example, he thinks that Halloween is totally original. Hell it ain't even the first movie which featured an all-white William Shatner face. See The Devil's Rain (1975). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason Lover said:

I never said anything remotely hateful. You know I don't want to have to admit that Halloween fans are dumb and don't know anything about movie history but that's kinda true.

Apparently you don’t think it’s possible to be a fan of multiple different Horror franchises/films and Genres?.....🤷‍♂️.

Its cool if you are not a Fan of Halloween or like other films more.......regardless of your stance....

Halloween is a Landmark film many other films attempted to copy It and use it’s template to be as successful....some worked others didn’t.

Everyone is entitled to their Opinions but being a fan of something Doesn’t make anyone automatically dumb......

That is usually revealed by how they express themselves and the use of their  cognitive skills or Lack there of....

 

1 hour ago, Jason Lover said:

Take my nephew for example, he thinks that Halloween is totally original. Hell it ain't even the first movie which featured an all-white William Shatner face. See The Devil's Rain (1975). 

William Shatner is in The Devils Rain....so this doesn’t really discredit any of the “Originality” of Halloween......

But as I said before Halloween was also inspired by the films before it......a killer in a mask (Regardless of color.) was not treading new ground when Carpenter and Hill Created Michael Myers and his iconic look....it is what they did with that premise that makes it an All time Classic.....

ps your Nephew has great taste.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Apparently you don’t think it’s possible to be a fan of multiple different Horror franchises/films and Genres?.....🤷‍♂️.

Its cool if you are not a Fan of Halloween or like other films more.......regardless of your stance....

Halloween is a Landmark film many other films attempted to copy It and use it’s template to be as successful....some worked others didn’t.

Everyone is entitled to their Opinions but being a fan of something Doesn’t make anyone automatically dumb......

That is usually revealed by how they express themselves and the use of their  cognitive skills or Lack there of....

 

William Shatner is in The Devils Rain....so this doesn’t really discredit any of the “Originality” of Halloween......

But as I said before Halloween was also inspired by the films before it......a killer in a mask (Regardless of color.) was not treading new ground when Carpenter and Hill Created Michael Myers and his iconic look....it is what they did with that premise that makes it an All time Classic.....

ps your Nephew has great taste.😉

Watch The Devil's Rain and towards the end of the movie you'll see William Shatner's character without eyes because of some demonic ritual that was performed on him. Legend has it that Don Post himself was on set during the making of that film and he took a head cast of Mr. Shatner for use in the upcoming Star Trek masks that were going to come out. The Captain Kirk mask was used as the Michael Myers mask later on. I just think that Halloween is not the wholly original flick that people makes it out to be. I like it but don't worship it. As an aside I'll take Tourist Trap (1979) over Halloween any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason Lover said:

Watch The Devil's Rain and towards the end of the movie you'll see William Shatner's character without eyes because of some demonic ritual that was performed on him. Legend has it that Don Post himself was on set during the making of that film and he took a head cast of Mr. Shatner for use in the upcoming Star Trek masks that were going to come out. The Captain Kirk mask was used as the Michael Myers mask later on. I just think that Halloween is not the wholly original flick that people makes it out to be. I like it but don't worship it. As an aside I'll take Tourist Trap (1979) over Halloween any day of the week and twice on Sunday.


I have seen The Devils Rain....and there may be a connection their that we are unaware of.......or has never been mentioned by Carpenter or Wallace......an Eyeless Kirk is quite creepy lol. 

Remember I did say Halloween was inspired by the films before it as well...

When Tommy Lee Wallace went looking for masks for The Shape they bought two the Shatner mask and A clown mask........ so it could have gone either way depending on what Carpenter and Hill liked.

Carpenter originally wrote the script as a Pale mask with an emotionless face and that’s why they went with the Shatner mask.....As far as we know... “it was the creepier Of the two.”

you are correct that that mold of Shatner was made for The Devils Rain and used for  the Star Trek masks.

 I can totally get behind you having a different opinion.

You don’t have to Worship Halloween To appreciate its contributions to the modern Horror film......

We are all fans of horror regardless of which ones we think are the better films......to each there own.
good discussion.

Cheers 🍻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a horror game in the sense it's based on horror. But it isn't scary. And it isn't scary because of voice chat and desensitization.

Desensitization because after enough games you just stop fearing Jason. You don't stop fearing him because he isn't powerful enough. You just stop fearing him because this is your thousandth game and just like a good horror movie you become desensitized.

Voice chat will always ruin any type of situation where you are supposed to feel tension and dread delivered by an atmosphere of a place. Because it doesn't matter how scary the scenery is. It's hard to get scared when the two counselors in the cabin next to you are talking about Tom Brady's move to the Buccaneers while the eight year old who is playing Jason is using the most intimidating squeaker voice he can muster to tell you he is going to kill you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...