Hokiehi62

How hard is it to find a game now?

I haven’t played in a year, but being quarantined has me going back to my old games. I’m playing PS4 and waited over 10 minutes and still no match found. Is that normal?

I play on Xbox and it never takes that long. For me if it takes over a minute I cancel it and then find a match again, usually that helps.

Hi @Hokiehi62 usually 1-2 minutes, longer than that, abort and try again.

Actually, with „corona“ around and more and more people practicing social distance to limit the spread, I have the feeling that more people are playing now online matches and finding lobbies became easier recently.

Ok maybe it's just me, but I've noticed that you can kinda-sorta tell within a few seconds whether you will or will not find a lobby quickly. Again, this could be just me and my connection.

If the status takes more than 5 seconds to change from "Initializing" to "Searching for..." cancel and try again. If the status changes on (for example) the 4 second mark, but hasn't changed to "Checking session for room" by 30 seconds, cancel and try again. If the status consistently changes to "Searching for..." at 4 seconds but hasn't changed to "Checking session..." in less than 30, keep cancelling and trying again until it changes at 1-3 seconds. 

When it does, you've got a decent chance of getting "Checking session for..." around 12-15 seconds, but cancel and try again if it goes past 20 without changing. Also, if you join a lobby but then leave after a few seconds, it tends to drop you back into the same lobby if your status changes take the same amount of time (ex. Changes to "Searching for..."  at 3 seconds and to "Checking session..." at 12 seconds. Lobby loads, you leave and hit QP again. If it still changes at 3 and 12, it's probably going to dump you back into the same lobby).

• Thanks 1

@HaHaTrumpWon this sounds like quite a detailed study of yours and I am with you.

Sometimes, I also abort the search already after 10-15 seconds and try again - with having to repeat this for 5-6 times till finding a lobby. This results to a total waiting time of 1-2 minutes, which always leaves me thinking, if I had just been patient and had given  the first attempt a bigger chance I would have gotten into the same result/lobby in the same time...

In the end all of us may be right as it just could depend on which server you are trying to find a lobby. For me it’s always the EU server. 

I have asked it before, but nobody was able to answer: is there a way to actively change the settings, so that you can play on different servers (US, UK, worldwide, etc)?

9 hours ago, Wolledc said:

@HaHaTrumpWon this sounds like quite a detailed study of yours and I am with you.

Sometimes, I also abort the search already after 10-15 seconds and try again - with having to repeat this for 5-6 times till finding a lobby. This results to a total waiting time of 1-2 minutes, which always leaves me thinking, if I had just been patient and had given  the first attempt a bigger chance I would have gotten into the same result/lobby in the same time...

In the end all of us may be right as it just could depend on which server you are trying to find a lobby. For me it’s always the EU server. 

I have asked it before, but nobody was able to answer: is there a way to actively change the settings, so that you can play on different servers (US, UK, worldwide, etc)?

Sometimes it will change from 'Iniitializing' to 'Searching' after more than 5 seconds. Anytime this happens, I cancel and try again. For whatever reason, it seems like even if it does connect and loads a lobby, my pings going to be slow as shit. It usually hovers around 80-90 Ms, but connecting after 5 seconds usually raises it to 140 Ms or slightly higher. Sometimes, even if it is very fast to connect and load, my Ms will skyrocket to 999 and stay there. Usually, resetting the router will fix the problem.

Last couple of times it only took 20 seconds max and all lobbies were full. If this damn quarantine has done anything, it's made sure there are more players to fill lobbies. Cheers and game on, my friends 

4 hours ago, SonofOdin6039 said:

Last couple of times it only took 20 seconds max and all lobbies were full. If this damn quarantine has done anything, it's made sure there are more players to fill lobbies. Cheers and game on, my friends 

Fuck coronavirus, and fuck the hysteria that came with it. People pulled this same overblown bullshit with H1N1 and SARS, and after everything calmed down, it was looked at as a "Uh... oops. Guess we kinda jumped the gun on that whole 'Doomsday disease, we're all gonna die!' thing".

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Fuck coronavirus, and fuck the hysteria that came with it. People pulled this same overblown bullshit with H1N1 and SARS, and after everything calmed down, it was looked at as a "Uh... oops. Guess we kinda jumped the gun on that whole 'Doomsday disease, we're all gonna die!' thing".

Um have you happened to look at countries like Italy and the death toll there? I’d say it’s a bit worse the sars and h1n1

It's a lot easier for me to find a game now.  It seems like the coronavirus pandemic has forced a lot of people to stay home and I usually find a full lobby within two minutes or less.

19 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Not to keep repeating myself, butI agree with you.  This whole Corona virus scare got blown way out of proportion.  While it is a serious problem,  I don't think it warranted the panic buying and hoarding, not to mention the quarantine.  Hopefully within a few weeks we as a society will look back at ourselves and be deeply ashamed.   Best wishes for those infected and sympathies for those who lost loved ones to this disease. Cheers, game on, and stay strong 

On 3/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, Urmomsnewman said:

Um have you happened to look at countries like Italy and the death toll there? I’d say it’s a bit worse the sars and h1n1

Exactly. SARS in 2003 caused according to current numbers 8000 infections with ca. 750 deaths worldwide, in western countries it even was quite noiseless.

H1N1 a couple of years later was way heavier, figures speak of 60 Million infected, 19.000 official deaths, dark figures even speak of up to 150.000 - 500.000 deaths (not all laboratory proven so the real count is and will forever be unclear).

On 3/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I am by far no virologist, but what we so far face and can see here with covid -19 is still only the beginning and this corona mutation seems to be more aggressive (higher infection/death percentage than H1N1).

The incubation time is with up to 14 days quite long (SARS and H1N1 were shorter, in the end better to control) and what makes it now also more difficult to grasp is the current cases’ real number.

today on March 28th, we have worldwide 650.000 positive tested persons: 150.000 already recovered and 30.000 dead, this leads to officially remaining infected 470.000.

With the given incubation time of up to 14 days, every one can do the maths and will see that those 470.000 had been infected in the past 14 days. it is very likely that all of them spreaded the Virus during the time till they showed the symptoms, got positively tested, got the results, came in quarantine by themselves.

The real infected number of today’s March 28th has to be considered as follows: with 470.000 calculated at an average date of already on March 17th and a doubling rate assumption at every 2-3 days, which would lead to ca 4 -6 Million infected persons worldwide.

But of course all of them do not know it right now, they will only show symptoms in the next couple of days, accelerating a further spreading.

This combined with the more aggressive virus, the higher death rate makes it worse. 

The social distance situation and the hysteria that comes with it , sucks, no question. ask our little kids, who want to play outside, but our neighbors‘ do not allow their kids to play with ours (or demand to keep a distance of a couple of meters). We ourselves had planned for next week our vacation (the first in a year), but now we are not allowed to travel at all, but stay at home. All that sucks, but avoiding the spread is the absolute necessary way in order to slow down the infections/death rate and give the hospitals more time to cope with the real serious cases.

Italy and Spain are some  tragic examples, with the situation out of control (and this even weeks after their shut down): hospitals are overcrowded, 3 sick people waiting in the hospital‘s hall for 1 occupied ICU bed to get free, last couple of days +1000 deaths per day only in Spain+Italy, even several of the limited doctors and nurses got infected and died. The Military has to deliver the victims’ coffins via several convoy trucks to crematories in the suburbs as the local ones are overcrowded.

The USA is unfortunately at the brink of stepping into this scenario, with the current doubling rate of infections/deaths in the last days and New York at the tragic lead:  piling up cooling containers as provisional morgues... Watching those spring break pictures a week ago, careless people on the streets, the numbers (infections/deaths) will undoubtedly further increase.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, SonofOdin6039 said:

Hopefully within a few weeks we as a society will look back at ourselves and be deeply ashamed. 

in my opinion we won’t look back in a couple of weeks/months and are ashamed of having overreacted, but more likely we will ask why we didn’t see it coming and did social distancing earlier.

Just my thoughts.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SonofOdin6039 said:

Not to keep repeating myself, butI agree with you.  This whole Corona virus scare got blown way out of proportion.  While it is a serious problem,  I don't think it warranted the panic buying and hoarding, not to mention the quarantine.  Hopefully within a few weeks we as a society will look back at ourselves and be deeply ashamed.   Best wishes for those infected and sympathies for those who lost loved ones to this disease. Cheers, game on, and stay strong 

I work in the city of Dothan, located in South Alabama (pop. 68,000+) and "dining in" has literally been banned in all restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. Some of them have switched to carry-out or delivery only, but a lot of them have simply laid off all the wait-staff, so now a lot of people have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

I know Papa John's isn't exactly a career to write home about, but at least we have job security. We deliver all the way to 1 am, and nobody else is willing to go that late.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

Wow, im sad that you say this... the problem with this virus is the number of people needing to be on breathing help( sorry im not English or american so I dont know the names). With the quarantine we try to slow the infection rate. Now the hospitals in my country can get up with the demand of people needing to go to the emergency room. But when this virus begins to spreat even faster, then there arent enough bed to help everyone. That is the point of self quarintine. We dont want 1000 people going the the emergency room in one week. We want 100 people to go over the period of 10 weeks. That is the idea!!! Sorry for my English but when the time comes and there arent enough breathing machines and beds, I hope you are the one who says nahhh the corona is hysteria, and give your place in the hospital to someone else. I do hope that you will wash ur hands and keep distance though, and ofc I dont want anyone going to the ER.

17 hours ago, Wolledc said:

Exactly. SARS in 2003 caused according to current numbers 8000 infections with ca. 750 deaths worldwide, in western countries it even was quite noiseless.

H1N1 a couple of years later was way heavier, figures speak of 60 Million infected, 19.000 official deaths, dark figures even speak of up to 150.000 - 500.000 deaths (not all laboratory proven so the real count is and will forever be unclear).

I am by far no virologist, but what we so far face and can see here with covid -19 is still only the beginning and this corona mutation seems to be more aggressive (higher infection/death percentage than H1N1).

The incubation time is with up to 14 days quite long (SARS and H1N1 were shorter, in the end better to control) and what makes it now also more difficult to grasp is the current cases’ real number.

today on March 28th, we have worldwide 650.000 positive tested persons: 150.000 already recovered and 30.000 dead, this leads to officially remaining infected 470.000.

With the given incubation time of up to 14 days, every one can do the maths and will see that those 470.000 had been infected in the past 14 days. it is very likely that all of them spreaded the Virus during the time till they showed the symptoms, got positively tested, got the results, came in quarantine by themselves.

The real infected number of today’s March 28th has to be considered as follows: with 470.000 calculated at an average date of already on March 17th and a doubling rate assumption at every 2-3 days, which would lead to ca 4 -6 Million infected persons worldwide.

But of course all of them do not know it right now, they will only show symptoms in the next couple of days, accelerating a further spreading.

This combined with the more aggressive virus, the higher death rate makes it worse. 

The social distance situation and the hysteria that comes with it , sucks, no question. ask our little kids, who want to play outside, but our neighbors‘ do not allow their kids to play with ours (or demand to keep a distance of a couple of meters). We ourselves had planned for next week our vacation (the first in a year), but now we are not allowed to travel at all, but stay at home. All that sucks, but avoiding the spread is the absolute necessary way in order to slow down the infections/death rate and give the hospitals more time to cope with the real serious cases.

Italy and Spain are some  tragic examples, with the situation out of control (and this even weeks after their shut down): hospitals are overcrowded, 3 sick people waiting in the hospital‘s hall for 1 occupied ICU bed to get free, last couple of days +1000 deaths per day only in Spain+Italy, even several of the limited doctors and nurses got infected and died. The Military has to deliver the victims’ coffins via several convoy trucks to crematories in the suburbs as the local ones are overcrowded.

The USA is unfortunately at the brink of stepping into this scenario, with the current doubling rate of infections/deaths in the last days and New York at the tragic lead:  piling up cooling containers as provisional morgues... Watching those spring break pictures a week ago, careless people on the streets, the numbers (infections/deaths) will undoubtedly further increase.

in my opinion we won’t look back in a couple of weeks/months and are ashamed of having overreacted, but more likely we will ask why we didn’t see it coming and did social distancing earlier.

Just my thoughts.

Sorry didnt see ur post before I posted mine. But thank god that you know the risk in hospitals. None of us want anyone rejected cuz of not enough beds in hospitals. Say its you mother or father or anyone you love, when they need to get into the hospital, and they say sorry we are full. Then I hope the people who you quote will slap thier hand on the head and say why didnt I get in self quarintine, wash my hands and not listen to the officials.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:25 AM, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I work in the city of Dothan, located in South Alabama (pop. 68,000+) and "dining in" has literally been banned in all restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. Some of them have switched to carry-out or delivery only, but a lot of them have simply laid off all the wait-staff, so now a lot of people have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

I know Papa John's isn't exactly a career to write home about, but at least we have job security. We deliver all the way to 1 am, and nobody else is willing to go that late.

It's the same here in Peoria, Illinois. Not dine in,  just carry out and delivery. I myself work in a plumbing supply warehouse (people need their toilets and water heaters lol) and we also do only curb side loading and delivery. Plumbers can't even come in the building,  relax with a cup of coffee and chat for a few minutes like they used to. Not the same as eating out, but close. But bless the delivery people who do bring food to the shut in families.  It brings a measure of comfort in these troubled times.  Just my thoughts