SCREWNUT

Underrated Horror Flicks

1. Lords of Salem

2. The New Nightmare (A nightmare on Elm Street)

3. Halloween III

I propose these flicks because of the criticism they have been through in my home country, as I guess it might be different in some other place.

On 12/7/2015 at 10:19 PM, Davidt said:

Oh god y must almost every horror franchise go to space

The very first CRITTERS, like, totally starts in space. The Critters break out of space jail and take a space ship to Earth while pursued by shapechanging space bounty hunters. CRITTERS 4 being in space wasn't a problem, CRITTERS 4 barely having any Critters in it was.

EDITED TO ADD: Just realized I was replying to an ancient ass post... BUT MY POINT STILL STANDS!

Also, since I don't think I've seen it on this thread I'll throw out my pick:

SESSION 9

I imagine it's not for everyone, and it took me two viewings to 100% grasp how it all works together (due to a couple of red herrings that the movie throws at you and my own inherent slowness), but I love this unrelentingly dark little flick.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or if it qualifies since horror sites praise it a lot, but I would throw Behind the Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon into the mix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ban_All_Music said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or if it qualifies since horror sites praise it a lot, but I would throw Behind the Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon into the mix.

BEHIND THE MASK is an awesome little flick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RKSDooM said:

There is supposedly going to be a sequel to it sometime in the next few years. Same writer/director, who has not made anything since that film...which is crazy considering how good it was and the poor shape mainstream horror was in when it came out. 

I know he was trying to get it off the ground awhile back - glad to know that it's finally happening!

1. Sleepaway Camp

.... but let's talk about one of my favorite, favorite movies:

crSwf4n.jpg

The Return of the Living Dead....sure it has it's comedy but it's never slapstick. It's funny in parts because of how the actors portray their roles. But when it gets gruesome it is horror 100%. I'm glad I was able to watch it before CGI and modern effects came around as it's effects are a bit dated but considering the low budget, what they produced in the effects were pretty amazing. Many things in that film were "Horror movie firsts"...here is a list from JD Gillam @ This is Horror and I'll just share my  short thoughts about them.

Horror film firsts: (Lite spoilers)

1.     Horror Comedy - Yeah one character goes over the top but it works as his charisma and his weapon make you have to take him serious. The various personalities of the characters and their interactions do make you laugh but I always felt it tricked me into thinking the film wouldn't scare me. 

2.     First Talking Zombies - "Send more paramedics." , when I heard that for the first time, it traumatized me in a good way. "Send more cops."

3.     Fast Moving Zombies - I've always argued that Jason was the first fast moving zombie but in ultra-traditional terms, this film had the first running zombies, that shit scared the fuck out of me. I never saw a cemetery the same ever again. 

4.     Self Referential Horror - "You Mean The Movie Lied?" , fucking classic, classic, classic. 

5.     Eating of Brains - Not only eating brains but getting an explanation of why, See #6.

6.     Considering the Zombie Point of View - Another thing that blew my mind, not just visually either. What is being said still brings chills.

7.     First Memorable Zombie Character - Tarman. What else can I say. HIs one line almost steals the entire movie. Will never forget the first time seeing him. While The Toxic Avenger had prepared me for violent effects, the one in that Tarman scene was still very enjoyable. 

8.     Working Town Setting - Hell yeah, it could happen to you. In your town. That cemetery, next to the CVS where you're going to pick up your buddy from that super late shift, begins to come to life and they are on their way to you while you sit in your car in that lonely parking lot. 

9.     First Punk Horror Movie - Music, wardrobe, really give it this feel but you care about the characters even if you aren't into punk culture.

10.  Famous Soundtrack - Not something accessible to me back then but when I was able to buy it, i remembered how much that Trioxin theme set the mood and made me uneasy from the opening credits. 

11.  First Mainstream Frontal Nudity -Hahaha due to censorship the actress couldn't show her stuff or pubes so a prosthetic was built for her. But as a kid seeing that on screen you never knew the difference. lmao. 

As you can see I watched all these things in one film about zombies and it blew my mind like all the Friday the 13th's did. There is a personal first for me when I watched TROTLD, this film made me think about the actions of higher authority in dealing with such a zombie scenario. It really opened my eyes beyond zombies. For me this film is a gem.The commentary on the disc is priceless. 

In my opinion I think it is underrated. It's fun gory horror that has a darker theme in the end. 

Thanks Dan O'Bannon for your genius. You are missed. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 9:51 PM, RKSDooM said:

I really didn't like that movie for the first two-thirds, then I loved it :wub:

Haven't seen The Innkeepers mentioned here. I caught this a few years ago in the theater and loved it...it's a great ghost story.

MPW-61712

I was going to add Session 9 and Innkeepers....

Also, I'm a Stuart Gordon fan as well. 

Hmm, Halloween 3 masks for everyone!

House, like someone mentioned earlier. Same with Session 9. Although I don't recall if someone had said:

The Howling, the original Fright Night, Phantasm, Jeepers Creepers, and the immortal....

Dr. Giggles

There's quite a lot mentioned here I am a fan of, came here to mention "The Frighteners" but I see I was beaten. So here, let me add one:

MV5BNGFmYmRmOTgtYjJiZi00MjhkLTk1MGEtZWIw

Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember loving the concept.

Also, Stephen King's "Silver Bullet". Something more modern: Ghost Ship.

14 hours ago, HodderFodder said:

There's quite a lot mentioned here I am a fan of, came here to mention "The Frighteners" but I see I was beaten. So here, let me add one:

MV5BNGFmYmRmOTgtYjJiZi00MjhkLTk1MGEtZWIw

Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember loving the concept.

Also, Stephen King's "Silver Bullet". Something more modern: Ghost Ship.

WAXWORK is a lot of fun, but I like most of Anthony Hickox's work. He has a habit of making movies that might be lacking in polish here and there, but are still very entertaining. SUNDOWN: THE VAMPIRE IN RETREAT is another one of his that I like a lot, and his sequels (HELLRAISER III: HELL ON EARTH, WARLOCK: THE ARMAGEDDON and WAXWORK II: LOST IN TIME) are all a good time. Sure, HELLRAISER III misses the point of the HELLRAISER franchise spectacularly... but Pinhead is just a blast to watch in that movie. And yeah, WAXWORK II is certainly a step down from the first, but that THE HAUNTING parody with Bruce Campbell is possibly the greatest thing ever committed to film.

For me;

1 - House of the Devil.

2 - RAW.

3 -The Witch.

4 -The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

5 -Trick r Treat.

6 -Irreversible .

7 -In the mouth of Madness.

8 -The Resurrected.

those are the ones I can think of  now (must have forgotten a few) that are underrated in a way, but it's all imho of course.

Some of my personal favs are;

Creepshow, Salem's Lot (the old series), Return of the living Dead,The Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, Hellraiser and Hellbound, Candyman, Friday the 13ths of course, The Thing, Halloween, The Fog, The Fly I and II, Sleepy Hollow, The Exorcist, Children of the Corn and Pet Sematary.