Jump to content
SCREWNUT

Underrated Horror Flicks

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SCREWNUT said:

Dagon is amazing!  I love the work that Stuart Gordon does!

*Pic and trailer*

Stuart Gordon's other gems of underrated movies include....

The Re-animator, The Beyond, Castle Freak, Space Truckers, Progeny, Robot Jox, and Dolls!!!

Fuck yeah it is! The monster reveal is worth seeing the film by itself.

I've seen Reanimator, and Robot Jox too. I may have seen Castle Freak, but if it's what I'm thinking of I got bored. That is the one where the monster is naked, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 3:19 PM, FreakyFrank1 said:

Dagon...

I love me some H.P Lovecraft / Cthulhu mythos.

Try In the Mouth of Madness. It's somewhat inspired by the Cthulu mythos from good old John Carpenter. You might like it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Fuck yeah it is! The monster reveal is worth seeing the film by itself.

I've seen Reanimator, and Robot Jox too. I may have seen Castle Freak, but if it's what I'm thinking of I got bored. That is the one where the monster is naked, right? 

I don't know for sure.  I was a teenager when I first saw it.  Now that you mention it....I think it was pretty boring

 

 

1 hour ago, ShankerOne said:

Try In the Mouth of Madness. It's somewhat inspired by the Cthulu mythos from good old John Carpenter. You might like it.

Yes to In the Mouth of Madness.  It totally an awesome and done right movie about going insane and the cthulhu mythos!

I have to throw in Event Horizon too.  It's freaking amazing as well!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCREWNUT said:

Yes to In the Mouth of Madness.  It totally an awesome and done right movie about going insane and the cthulhu mythos!

I have to throw in Event Horizon too.  It's freaking amazing as well!

Two of Sam Neil's best movies not involving dinosaurs. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, definite thumbs up for both In The Mouth of Madness (Carpenter's last good film, IMO) and Event Horizon. Really like both of those films.

Event Horizon has often been referred to as a prequel in Warhammer 40k circles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SCREWNUT said:

I have to throw in Event Horizon too.  It's freaking amazing as well!

I like event horizon 

I would add pretty much any movie by Stephen King. They usually come out pretty bad but in a good way. Lots of his stuff might come closer to falling under thriller but at least some of it qualifies as horror. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SCREWNUT said:

I don't know for sure.  I was a teenager when I first saw it.  Now that you mention it....I think it was pretty boring
 

Yes to In the Mouth of Madness.  It totally an awesome and done right movie about going insane and the cthulhu mythos!

I have to throw in Event Horizon too.  It's freaking amazing as well!

 

I think there was monster dinger and lots of exposition. 

In the Mouth of Madness is one I really want to see. I also want to see Prince of Darkness. That way I'll have seen Carpenter's entire Apocalypse trilogy. If I can find those two I'll be set.  

And Event Horizon. While it's execution is sorta "eh" the concept is utterly awesome. Still a pretty decent movie.

4 hours ago, Brigadius said:

I like event horizon 

I would add pretty much any movie by Stephen King. They usually come out pretty bad but in a good way. Lots of his stuff might come closer to falling under thriller but at least some of it qualifies as horror. 

To be honest I'm not a fan of most of King's movies. But I hope that changes this year. IT and the Dark Tower are among the highest anticipated movies for me this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

To be honest I'm not a fan of most of King's movies. But I hope that changes this year. IT and the Dark Tower are among the highest anticipated movies for me this year. 

It's weird how his film adaptations of his books are executed so poorly. While Michael Crichton's books are a little dry reading but make excellent movies. Not to say I don't like Crichton's books I rather enjoy them. It's like they are inverses of each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

It's weird how his film adaptations of his books are executed so poorly. While Michael Crichton's books are a little dry reading but make excellent movies. Not to say I don't like Crichton's books I rather enjoy them. It's like they are inverses of each other. 

I've only read Micro (My wife got it for me as a gift for some weird reason.) and that was finished after Crichton's death by another author. But yeah, not too great. Though to be honest, I'm not the most impressed by the movies that use his work, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Risinggrave said:

I've only read Micro (My wife got it for me as a gift for some weird reason.) and that was finished after Crichton's death by another author. But yeah, not too great. Though to be honest, I'm not the most impressed by the movies that use his work, either. 

Jurassic Park, Timeline, Sphere, the Andromeda strain, twister are a few good ones. I was hoping for a "Prey" movie one day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Jurassic Park, Timeline, Sphere, the Andromeda strain, twister are a few good ones. I was hoping for a "Prey" movie one day. 

I've either not seen, or didn't much care for all of those. I'd be willing to give JP a second chance at this point. And Sphere and Twister are on my cinematic bucket list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on the subject of Prince of Darkness (another good horror) we can dip back into the old school bag of horrors again and pull out The Unholy.

 

More importantly (I thought I mentioned this but apparently not) one movie I really enjoyed was called Bad Dreams. Loved the story and the movie. I wholly recommend this one. Greatest line in the movie, "Knives, these are not knives! These are fine surgical instruments!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

anybody remember Ghosts of Mars?

Yeah I remember it. Not great but not bad. There's this one girl in it (Clara Duvall I think) that was in a couple of other good horror flicks as well: The Faculty and How to Make a Monster. Ghost of Mars and The Faculty actually embody some similar themes.

I have a ton of horror movies in here somewhere. These things help me remember some I've forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brigadius said:

anybody remember Ghosts of Mars?

Yes, I saw it when it come out in theaters. It was ok, not good but not bad. It's a film where I saw a lot of decapitations you'd think you're watching the guillotine during the French Revolution.

John Carpenter didn't really direct again until The Ward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of others just came to mind. Enjoy. :)

Leviathan: If you liked Wes Craven's class, The Thing, I think you'll love this one. It takes place in the deep sea and has some similar themes.

Screamers: Another decent sci fi horror. One of those movies where you don't know who to trust.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShankerOne said:

A couple of others just came to mind. Enjoy. :)

Leviathan: If you liked Wes Craven's class, The Thing, I think you'll love this one. It takes place in the deep sea and has some similar themes.

Screamers: Another decent sci fi horror. One of those movies where you don't know who to trust.

 

Screamers is definitely underrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShankerOne said:

Screamers: Another decent sci fi horror. One of those movies where you don't know who to trust. 

Screamers is a good movie. Maybe not strictly horror but still underrated.

I might add :

The island of dr moreau

mama

Audition (this movie grossed me out when I saw it) 

Storm warning(you wouldn't believe what I went through trying to remember this title)

These might just be bad but I found them somewhat entertaining 

jack frost, high tension, severance

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one slipped out. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure as well: Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. Fun little horror movie following the end of the rather awesome HBO series. I love this little flick and do recommend it. I do miss the Crypt Keeper.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ShankerOne said:

This one slipped out. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure as well: Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. Fun little horror movie following the end of the rather awesome HBO series. I love this little flick and do recommend it. I do miss the Crypt Keeper.

 

Don't forget bordello of blood 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brigadius said:

Don't forget bordello of blood 

Bordello wasn't bad, I just liked Demon Knight way more. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could go on for ages, however, the following should suffice.

 

1. Tourist Trap

2. American Gothic

3. Dolly Dearest

4. The Stuff

5. Just Before Dawn

6. The Burning

7. Dolls

8. Silent Night Deadly Night

9. House

10. House 2: The Second Story

11. Sleepaway Camp I, II & III

12. The Pit and The Pendulum (1991)

13. Dead-Alive

14. Final Exam

15. Terror Train

16. Mountain Top Motel Masacre

17. Maniac

18. Graduation Day

19. Happy Birthday To Me!

20. Slumber Party Massacre I, II & III

21. Basket Case I, II & III

22. It's Alive I, II & III

23. Maniac

24. Burnt Offerings

25. The Changling

They're not all 80's films, does it matter? To me it does, I have an unusual obsession with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just thought of one I liked. Just not came to me as I was watching a guy being electrocuted in a movie. That horror is Shocker. :)

 

Also, one that's a kind of dark mystery/comedy mixed with some horror I also enjoyed is called Frighteners. Maybe the only horror Michael J. Fox of Back to the Future fame was ever in. The second half of the movie is more horror themed and dark than the first. The tone takes a very noticeable shift.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, some great titles in here. As a horror buff I gotta throw in two more of favorites, the 1987 (or 89 for some listings) Stage Fright, where an owl masked killer picks off the cast of a stage play in lovely gruesome italian horror fashion. Another would easily be Madman, a great companion piece to Friday the 13th. 

Stage Fright
https://www.amazon.com/Stagefright-David-Brandon/dp/B00Q4XJKYY/ref=sr_1_9?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1495706406&sr=1-9&keywords=stage+fright

Madman
https://www.amazon.com/Madman-Alexis-Dubin/dp/B00M8LL5MQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1495706438&sr=1-1&keywords=madman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...