SCREWNUT

Underrated Horror Flicks

1 minute ago, SCREWNUT said:

Dagon is amazing!  I love the work that Stuart Gordon does!

*Pic and trailer*

Stuart Gordon's other gems of underrated movies include....

The Re-animator, The Beyond, Castle Freak, Space Truckers, Progeny, Robot Jox, and Dolls!!!

Fuck yeah it is! The monster reveal is worth seeing the film by itself.

I've seen Reanimator, and Robot Jox too. I may have seen Castle Freak, but if it's what I'm thinking of I got bored. That is the one where the monster is naked, right? 

On 5/8/2017 at 3:19 PM, FreakyFrank1 said:

Dagon...

I love me some H.P Lovecraft / Cthulhu mythos.

Try In the Mouth of Madness. It's somewhat inspired by the Cthulu mythos from good old John Carpenter. You might like it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Fuck yeah it is! The monster reveal is worth seeing the film by itself.

I've seen Reanimator, and Robot Jox too. I may have seen Castle Freak, but if it's what I'm thinking of I got bored. That is the one where the monster is naked, right? 

I don't know for sure.  I was a teenager when I first saw it.  Now that you mention it....I think it was pretty boring

1 hour ago, ShankerOne said:

Try In the Mouth of Madness. It's somewhat inspired by the Cthulu mythos from good old John Carpenter. You might like it.

Yes to In the Mouth of Madness.  It totally an awesome and done right movie about going insane and the cthulhu mythos!

I have to throw in Event Horizon too.  It's freaking amazing as well!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SCREWNUT said:

Yes to In the Mouth of Madness.  It totally an awesome and done right movie about going insane and the cthulhu mythos!

Two of Sam Neil's best movies not involving dinosaurs. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, definite thumbs up for both In The Mouth of Madness (Carpenter's last good film, IMO) and Event Horizon. Really like both of those films.

Event Horizon has often been referred to as a prequel in Warhammer 40k circles!

3 hours ago, SCREWNUT said:

I like event horizon 

I would add pretty much any movie by Stephen King. They usually come out pretty bad but in a good way. Lots of his stuff might come closer to falling under thriller but at least some of it qualifies as horror. 

7 hours ago, SCREWNUT said:

I don't know for sure.  I was a teenager when I first saw it.  Now that you mention it....I think it was pretty boring

I think there was monster dinger and lots of exposition. 

In the Mouth of Madness is one I really want to see. I also want to see Prince of Darkness. That way I'll have seen Carpenter's entire Apocalypse trilogy. If I can find those two I'll be set.  

And Event Horizon. While it's execution is sorta "eh" the concept is utterly awesome. Still a pretty decent movie.

4 hours ago, Brigadius said:

I like event horizon 

I would add pretty much any movie by Stephen King. They usually come out pretty bad but in a good way. Lots of his stuff might come closer to falling under thriller but at least some of it qualifies as horror. 

To be honest I'm not a fan of most of King's movies. But I hope that changes this year. IT and the Dark Tower are among the highest anticipated movies for me this year. 

11 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

To be honest I'm not a fan of most of King's movies. But I hope that changes this year. IT and the Dark Tower are among the highest anticipated movies for me this year. 

It's weird how his film adaptations of his books are executed so poorly. While Michael Crichton's books are a little dry reading but make excellent movies. Not to say I don't like Crichton's books I rather enjoy them. It's like they are inverses of each other. 

15 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

It's weird how his film adaptations of his books are executed so poorly. While Michael Crichton's books are a little dry reading but make excellent movies. Not to say I don't like Crichton's books I rather enjoy them. It's like they are inverses of each other. 

I've only read Micro (My wife got it for me as a gift for some weird reason.) and that was finished after Crichton's death by another author. But yeah, not too great. Though to be honest, I'm not the most impressed by the movies that use his work, either. 

1 minute ago, Risinggrave said:

I've only read Micro (My wife got it for me as a gift for some weird reason.) and that was finished after Crichton's death by another author. But yeah, not too great. Though to be honest, I'm not the most impressed by the movies that use his work, either. 

Jurassic Park, Timeline, Sphere, the Andromeda strain, twister are a few good ones. I was hoping for a "Prey" movie one day. 

18 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Jurassic Park, Timeline, Sphere, the Andromeda strain, twister are a few good ones. I was hoping for a "Prey" movie one day. 

I've either not seen, or didn't much care for all of those. I'd be willing to give JP a second chance at this point. And Sphere and Twister are on my cinematic bucket list. 

While we're on the subject of Prince of Darkness (another good horror) we can dip back into the old school bag of horrors again and pull out The Unholy.

More importantly (I thought I mentioned this but apparently not) one movie I really enjoyed was called Bad Dreams. Loved the story and the movie. I wholly recommend this one. Greatest line in the movie, "Knives, these are not knives! These are fine surgical instruments!"

30 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

anybody remember Ghosts of Mars?

Yeah I remember it. Not great but not bad. There's this one girl in it (Clara Duvall I think) that was in a couple of other good horror flicks as well: The Faculty and How to Make a Monster. Ghost of Mars and The Faculty actually embody some similar themes.

I have a ton of horror movies in here somewhere. These things help me remember some I've forgotten.

8 hours ago, Brigadius said:

anybody remember Ghosts of Mars?

Yes, I saw it when it come out in theaters. It was ok, not good but not bad. It's a film where I saw a lot of decapitations you'd think you're watching the guillotine during the French Revolution.

John Carpenter didn't really direct again until The Ward.

A couple of others just came to mind. Enjoy. :)

Leviathan: If you liked Wes Craven's class, The Thing, I think you'll love this one. It takes place in the deep sea and has some similar themes.

Screamers: Another decent sci fi horror. One of those movies where you don't know who to trust.

1 hour ago, ShankerOne said:

A couple of others just came to mind. Enjoy. :)

Leviathan: If you liked Wes Craven's class, The Thing, I think you'll love this one. It takes place in the deep sea and has some similar themes.

Screamers: Another decent sci fi horror. One of those movies where you don't know who to trust.

Screamers is definitely underrated.

6 hours ago, ShankerOne said:

Screamers is a good movie. Maybe not strictly horror but still underrated.

I might add :

The island of dr moreau

mama

Audition (this movie grossed me out when I saw it) 

Storm warning(you wouldn't believe what I went through trying to remember this title)

These might just be bad but I found them somewhat entertaining 

jack frost, high tension, severance

This one slipped out. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure as well: Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. Fun little horror movie following the end of the rather awesome HBO series. I love this little flick and do recommend it. I do miss the Crypt Keeper.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShankerOne said:

This one slipped out. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure as well: Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight. Fun little horror movie following the end of the rather awesome HBO series. I love this little flick and do recommend it. I do miss the Crypt Keeper.

Don't forget bordello of blood 

Just now, Brigadius said:

Don't forget bordello of blood 

Bordello wasn't bad, I just liked Demon Knight way more. :P

I could go on for ages, however, the following should suffice.

1. Tourist Trap

2. American Gothic

3. Dolly Dearest

4. The Stuff

5. Just Before Dawn

6. The Burning

7. Dolls

8. Silent Night Deadly Night

9. House

10. House 2: The Second Story

11. Sleepaway Camp I, II & III

12. The Pit and The Pendulum (1991)

13. Dead-Alive

14. Final Exam

15. Terror Train

16. Mountain Top Motel Masacre

17. Maniac

18. Graduation Day

19. Happy Birthday To Me!

20. Slumber Party Massacre I, II & III

21. Basket Case I, II & III

22. It's Alive I, II & III

23. Maniac

24. Burnt Offerings

25. The Changling

They're not all 80's films, does it matter? To me it does, I have an unusual obsession with them.

I just thought of one I liked. Just not came to me as I was watching a guy being electrocuted in a movie. That horror is Shocker. :)

Also, one that's a kind of dark mystery/comedy mixed with some horror I also enjoyed is called Frighteners. Maybe the only horror Michael J. Fox of Back to the Future fame was ever in. The second half of the movie is more horror themed and dark than the first. The tone takes a very noticeable shift.

Oh boy, some great titles in here. As a horror buff I gotta throw in two more of favorites, the 1987 (or 89 for some listings) Stage Fright, where an owl masked killer picks off the cast of a stage play in lovely gruesome italian horror fashion. Another would easily be Madman, a great companion piece to Friday the 13th. 

Stage Fright
https://www.amazon.com/Stagefright-David-Brandon/dp/B00Q4XJKYY/ref=sr_1_9?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1495706406&sr=1-9&keywords=stage+fright

Madman
https://www.amazon.com/Madman-Alexis-Dubin/dp/B00M8LL5MQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1495706438&sr=1-1&keywords=madman