Sign in to follow this  
Fair Play

Coronavirus

How do you feel about the coronavirus?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the coronavirus?

Disease is and always has been our natural predator. Have been over 20,000 deaths from the flu already this year. Its something that has always existed. This is just another virus that will come and go. Live a healthy lifestyle and if have any sort of respiratory issues should always avoid large crowds during these seasons.

• Like 1

I work at an amusement park and work directly with many tourists from China and Europe. Keeping my fingers crossed...

• Sad 1

Couldn't care less, I feel it's all been made into a bigger deal than it needs to be. However should it take me then so be it! I have had a good run.

• Like 1

Krogers,Walmart,Meijers here are all sold out of toilet paper,water and lots of food.

mainly people are buying toilet paper.

all local schools will be closed for the next 3 weeks.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Disease is and always has been our natural predator. Have been over 20,000 deaths from the flu already this year. Its something that has always existed. This is just another virus that will come and go. Live a healthy lifestyle and if have any sort of respiratory issues should always avoid large crowds during these seasons.

Taking it one day at a time is all we can do.

6 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

I work at an amusement park and work directly with many tourists from China and Europe. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I'll say a prayer for you on that one. Hopefully everything is ok.

2 hours ago, TommysMightyChin said:

Couldn't care less, I feel it's all been made into a bigger deal than it needs to be. However should it take me then so be it! I have had a good run.

I don't think it'll take you. You've got many years of things to look forward to.

4 minutes ago, Strigoi said:

Krogers,Walmart,Meijers here are all sold out of toilet paper,water and lots of food.

Thanks for the update. It's getting to the point of stuff selling out.

People are taking the precautions they feel are necessary.

• Like 1

Some aspects from Germany / Europe:

• mostly all bigger concerts, theatre, fairs and conventions had been cancelled for the next 2 months. cultural activities to a m/m

• sport events like some German soccer games this week first took place without any spectators in the stadium, only the players („ghost games“), now current leagues (ice hockey, basketball and soccer) are being stopped / considered to abruptly end completely with no final league winner announced.

• reduced Business Travel or restrictions to some areas for some weeks now, home office is more and more considered wherever possible

• I live near a city with some medieval districts, normally full of tourists at noon time: right now you can count the tourists with a few dozens (this already effects restaurants, hotels, lower income)

• stores are well equipped, but you can see that certain products (toilet paper,  pasta, noodles, bread flour, conserved cans, disinfection sprays are being bought at a much greater level)

• usual worklife has changed a lot, Cov-19 virus is all over the media, it takes a lot of nerves nowadays

• today I picked up my two little kids from their handball training and it was just annonced that for the next 4 weeks no training, matches will take place, all tournaments had all been  cancelled this afternoon 

• a lot of discussions to shut down schools, universities for the next 4 weeks (leaving us parents with the task to find solutions: work/child care), some states of Germany already did close their schools.

• Countries like Austria, France, Danmark, Belgium completely closed schools, there are border controls. Italy has a 100% shut down since yesterday.

So, how do I feel? This is nothing we have faced before, it surely worries, especially explaining your kids what is going on. In the end, all measurements are appreciated to condemn any further spread of this situation.

People are definitely making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. While it is contagious, the one thing you have to do to avoid catching it is avoiding large crowds and wash your hands all the time. I think people should be more worried about buying enough food, water and things you need because the stores are really starting to have less and less things, plus some have a limit on how much you buy.

Where I’m from all the cases in my state most of the people have gone to New York for college or to the plaza there. I’m not planning on going anywhere near NY anytime soon so I don’t think I have a lot to worry about. The one thing I’m bummed about is the upcoming movies. I really wanted to see some of them, I’m hoping this will clear up in the next few weeks or month. Also, what’s going to happen with any horror conventions like Monster Mania?

13 hours ago, Strigoi said:

This is the funniest thing. A pandemic is declared and people are more worried about how to wipe their ass rather then stocking up on food and mainly water. If water source gets shutoff that's when the fight for survival will start. A case of water will only last a family a couple of days. Better have a wall stacked to the ceiling. all the other is just bs. Ill take a shit outside and wipe with some leaves if needed and keep on ticking.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

This is the funniest thing. A pandemic is declared and people are more worried about how to wipe their ass rather then stocking up on food and mainly water. If water source gets shutoff that's when the fight for survival will start. A case of water will only last a family a couple of days. Better have a wall stacked to the ceiling. all the other is just bs. Ill take a shit outside and wipe with some leaves if needed and keep on ticking.

Yes here in southwest ohio people have gone into an insane frenzy over toilet paper.

My guess is that people are realizing that they will be shut in their houses for weeks.

local facebook posts show local meijers and walmarts with no toilet paper.

bottled water is also flying off shelves.

Ive stocked up on pizza and Doritos and candy but today i may go out to buy toilet paper before its all gone.

Its a nut house here in southwest ohio.

The Govenor of Ohio has made strange rules. kids are off from school for 3 weeks.

churches,businesses closed etc.

5 minutes ago, Strigoi said:

Yes here in southwest ohio people have gone into an insane frenzy over toilet paper.

My guess is that people are realizing that they will be shut in their houses for weeks.

local facebook posts show local meijers and walmarts with no toilet paper.

bottled water is also flying off shelves.

Ive stocked up on pizza and Doritos and candy but today i may go out to buy toilet paper before its all gone.

Its a nut house here in southwest ohio.

The Govenor of Ohio has made strange rules. kids are off from school for 3 weeks.

churches,businesses closed etc.

Yeah, I work in IT. All of our clients are requesting work from home solutions, so ive been building a ton of RDS deployments. Some good revenue for us. Were expecting to probably all be working from home ourselfs in the next week or two. if schools shutdown ill have to be home with my daughter.

20 hours ago, Fair Play said:

I don't think it'll take you. You've got many years of things to look forward to.

Here's hoping and same to you lad!

People are just preparing for worst case scenario. My wife has reached out to our daughters, and they are on the way home from college. We've also extended invitations to our parents as well as some other family. We're pretty well stocked, though our popcorn supply needs a refill. A potential bright side is the quality time with family.

@Wolledc, it sounds like the precautions there are similar to those here in the U.S.

@badassgixxer05, leaves will do the trick, just as corn husks will. Improvisation is a dying art in modern times. It's good to know if is still a thing.

@FridayThe31st, Monster Mania may be cancelled or postponed. If you or anyone else get confirmation, we're all ears. I was told there were talks of cancelling E3 this year.

@Strigoi, A lot of the states have plans to close schools for the next 2-4 weeks. I have stocked on the usual food options (pizza, pretzels,  canned food, hot wings, mac & cheese, and peanut butter).

It definitely gets tougher: all schools now closed for 4 weeks, all sports events are cancelled, European countries start closing their borders.

The following link is a very realistic wrap up about the corona virus current spread 

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

a lot to read, but in the end the truth and there now is only one  option: to slow down the spread of the virus by shutting down all unnecessarily actions, social life.

11 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Yeah, I work in IT. All of our clients are requesting work from home solutions, so ive been building a ton of RDS deployments. Some good revenue for us. Were expecting to probably all be working from home ourselfs in the next week or two. if schools shutdown ill have to be home with my daughter.

Must be nice to have the option to work from home.

this virus keeps sounding more dangerous.

2 hours ago, Strigoi said:

Hopefully the countermeasures put into place will help keep the spread to a minimum.

Really? then just wait 2-4 more weeks with most of the western world in „shut down“.

The first impacts for people’s health, change of lifestyle, our economy are fathomable. 

Economy: impacts like companies’ decrease in margin, employees set on unpaid leave, smaller companies going bankruptcy, employees losing their jobs, people having less money to spend on, recession) will be seen in a few weeks, months (how soon, how deep will depend on the shut down‘s length).

For a start just look at all airlines just cutting + grounding their planes/ flights to less than 50%, leaving a lot of their employees (pilots, flight attendants, staff) with nothing to do and sending them unpaid home. Or all airport shops / bars, hotels and delis and their employees at the airports running out of enough customers to cover their costs.  Cab services or Car rentals at the airport still face fix costs, but less income due to less customers. With the travel ban in place the repair stations will see less orders / cars to repair in a couple of months. 

Most Governments will surely try to imburse those companies wherever possible in order to prevent similar scenarios like the ones we saw during the world‘s financial crises 2008/9, but I know some people in the airline business who speak of bigger and longer impacts than after 9/11. who is right now going to book flights in a 3-4 months future?

Lifestyle + Health: Having watched a few weeks ago the chinese attempts (at least what went out uncensored) like strict curfew, people temperature tests on every street corner / sub stations, the complete shut down of Hubei Region with 60 Million inhabitants in order to condemn the spread of the virus, I really shook my head   back then. I did. Everything seemed surreal to me. But surely all this left many of us thoughtful, especially as similar steps are now getting closer to us in the last days.

First countries like Italy (for a week now), Spain (yesterday) are both in shut down, ICU in hospitals getting overwhelmed, doctors in Lombardy, IT having to decide which patient to help due to limited respiration equipment, (and this in a western country).

France is preparing similar steps in regards to a shut down. Most European countries close(d) their borders or are planning to. In the cities the Bars, cinemas, even the first churches are closing.

African countries just start to get aware of their first cases, with such a poor health system in place, nobody knows what  impact might follow to them. Could be less dramatic due to the higher climate, nobody knows, but then you can look to Iran‘s numbers.

Fortunately, the current deaths‘ numbers compared to every year‘s flu season is still low, but the percentage rate is higher and something is surely is different with this Virus judging by all news.

Nobody is panicking (I wouldn’t suggest to do so, sorry if this post might seem so), but many of us are concerned how this situation will develop.

On 3/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, Strigoi said:

It's all Jason's fault, isn't it?

On 3/13/2020 at 8:10 PM, Strigoi said:

Nah, the dangerous part is the quick spread. as long as they control the out breaks, they have enough hospital beds to treat patients that develop severe cases. But just like the flu, most people get it and just have body aches/fever and they will recover after a few days. The important part is not to spread it, so if you think you may have it and are not dying(having breathing/heart issues) don't go out seeking testing/treatment you will just expose more people.

• Like 1

Can u add a in game report system Im tired of getting team killed then in game chat the teamers saying I deserve it because Im Adam then them saying thank you for the gas and Im also tired of me reporting them and Xbox not doing anything about it

22 hours ago, King1010 said:

Can u add a in game report system Im tired of getting team killed then in game chat the teamers saying I deserve it because Im Adam then them saying thank you for the gas and Im also tired of me reporting them and Xbox not doing anything about it

Welcome to the forum.

Your concern would be better suited under the suggestions section of the forum.

12 hours ago, F134Ever86 said:

Interesting documentary with heavy implications

Guess it was only a matter of time before this turned out to become political and finally lead to the beginning of conflicts.

I am not sure, how credential all the sources, shown Interview experts and the quoted mandarin translations, which we can see in this documentary, really are, but it definitely keeps wondering, if some dead bats on a seafood market were the only or the real source.