This might have already been asked, but if I mute Jason at the beginning of the game, can the player still hear me during the game?  Or is it just that I can't hear the player?

Thank you for your response.  I forgot to mention that I do have the PS4.  So it should work on that system, correct?

• Thanks 1

Jason can alway hear what the counselors are saying over chat. If he spamming music and you mute time it doesn’t stop him from hearing you.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, shodan said:

Jason can alway hear what the counselors are saying over chat. If he spamming music and you mute time it doesn’t stop him from hearing you.

This is wrong, muting works both ways just like every game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urmomsnewman said:

This is wrong, muting works both ways just like every game

Does this just work for muting Jason, or is it that if you mute another counselor they also wouldn’t be able to hear you?

wait a minute... so if you mute jason he cant hear you? so why doesnt everybody just mute jason when the match starts then unmute him when its over? that cant be right...can it? hmm.. i swear ive been muted before by some snobs & i could still hear them i thought.. i dont remember.. someone will correct me if im wrong too HAHAHA

On 2/29/2020 at 4:19 PM, glowing ooze said:

so why doesnt everybody just mute jason when the match starts then unmute him when its over?

This is exactly what I used to do back when I public chatted in quick play. Back when randos actually played the game the way it's intended, it was illogical to me that Jason could hear you while you correlated with other players about repairs/strategy, etc. He doesn't have a radio, so he shouldn't be able to magically tap into that frequency and eavesdrop. My opinion anyway.

7 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

This is exactly what I used to do back when I public chatted in quick play. Back when randos actually played the game the way it's intended, it was illogical to me that Jason could hear you while you correlated with other players about repairs/strategy, etc. He doesn't have a radio, so he shouldn't be able to magically tap into that frequency and eavesdrop. My opinion anyway.

He's standing ten feet away. Fucking A. 

Even if you didn't pull that borderline cheating cheap shit, he can't hear over the radio. He hears only what he is in proximity to hear. 

22 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

well i'll be a monkey's bare assed uncle.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:19 PM, shodan said:

False

If you mute a player they cannot hear you and you cannot hear them. It goes both ways.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 1:04 AM, Risinggrave said:

He's standing ten feet away. Fucking A. 

Even if you didn't pull that borderline cheating cheap shit, he can't hear over the radio. He hears only what he is in proximity to hear. 

He can hear interior chatter perfectly standing over 10 feet away on the outside of a cabin that's sealed up tight. That's a bit more than casual proximity.

And on that note folks, muting a player is now considered "borderline cheating" by some. 😄

I’m not sure what you guys are talking about. But if you mute someone on Xbox, they can still hear you. Every game. And has always been that way. It doesn’t go both ways. Also, Jason could never hear your radio talk. Muted or not. It was always proximity based as Jason. 

4 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

And on that note folks, muting a player is now considered "borderline cheating" by some. 😄

If you mute JASON so he can't hear you speaking when in close proximity then yes, that is indeed a form of cheating.  (Although it sounds like Jason was able to hear you the whole time anyhow lol)

3 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

If you mute JASON so he can't hear you speaking when in close proximity then yes, that is indeed a form of cheating.  time anyhow lol)

How? I know of a lot of players that mute everyone in the lobby upon entering the lobby. Are they cheating as well? Jason's music changes when a counselor is in close proximity anyway, having him muted would have the same effect as someone that was playing without a mic. Are players that don't use a mic cheating because Jason wont be able to hear them?

1 hour ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

How? I know of a lot of players that mute everyone in the lobby upon entering the lobby. Are they cheating as well? Jason's music changes when a counselor is in close proximity anyway, having him muted would have the same effect as someone that was playing without a mic. Are players that don't use a mic cheating because Jason wont be able to hear them?

It doesn’t matter either way. Because he can still hear you if you mute him. It’s not a 2 way street, as others claim. You don’t want him to hear you? Then mute yourself. That’s the only way. Or go into a chat party. But it won’t stop the noises your counselor makes. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

If you mute JASON so he can't hear you speaking when in close proximity then yes, that is indeed a form of cheating.  (Although it sounds like Jason was able to hear you the whole time anyhow lol)

It’s not cheating. Because he can still hear you if you mute him. You aren’t muting yourself. And it’s no different than playing without a mic. I mute Jason because Jason doesn’t talk in the movies. And it’s usually some D-bag squeaker playing crappy music through his mic. But he can still hear me if I mute him. 

12 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

He can hear interior chatter perfectly standing over 10 feet away on the outside of a cabin that's sealed up tight. That's a bit more than casual proximity.

Yeah. Just like how movie Jason can find you no matter where you hide. 

See below.

3 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

It's gaining an unfair advantage for the purpose of gameplay.

If you mute somebody blasting a radio, being obnoxious, what have you for that reason, so be it. If you're playing muted because you don't want to deal with people, so be it.  If you're muting Jason so he can't hear your plotting, it's an undue advantage. I see it mostly depending on why you mute a person. Communication is a huge advantage in this game. Playing in party chat is cheating the Jason. 

2 hours ago, The Milwauking Dead said:

It’s not cheating. Because he can still hear you if you mute him. You aren’t muting yourself. And it’s no different than playing without a mic. I mute Jason because Jason doesn’t talk in the movies. And it’s usually some D-bag squeaker playing crappy music through his mic. But he can still hear me if I mute him. 

I believe we may have tested this and it isn't the case.  Can't recall for sure, though. Maybe one of my Thursday night fellows will see this and chime in. 

2 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

Yeah. Just like how movie Jason can find you no matter where you hide. 

See below.

It's gaining an unfair advantage for the purpose of gameplay.

If you mute somebody blasting a radio, being obnoxious, what have you for that reason, so be it. If you're playing muted because you don't want to deal with people, so be it.  If you're muting Jason so he can't hear your plotting, it's an undue advantage. I see it mostly depending on why you mute a person. Communication is a huge advantage in this game. Playing in party chat is cheating the Jason. 

I believe we may have tested this and it isn't the case.  Can't recall for sure, though. Maybe one of my Thursday night fellows will see this and chime in. 

It’s the case on Xbox for sure. Has been since day one. Jason could always hear you if you mute him. Same as every other game on Xbox. Muting isn’t a 2 way street. Either way, it’s no different than playing F13 without a mic. It’s not cheating to mute yourself or Jason. Because all the in game audio will still be there. Just like without a mic at all. 

I don't need to test it. I know for a fact if you mute him he can not hear you (on PS4 anyway, can't speak for Xbox). To be clear; I'm talking about the actual sounds going into your mic, not the goofy yelps and cries for help your counselor spews every time Jason is near you. Muting him doesn't stop any of that. But, the chat-mute; this was discovered long ago shortly after the game first came out, and we always used it for the reasons I've shared (and my opinion is unchanged). If muting Jason was some frowned-upon advantage for the other players, the devs wouldn't have given you the option to do it with a simple click. It's a preference setting, not an unfair buff. 

I mean seriously, @Risinggrave, how much power/privilege do you need as Jason for you to consider the playing field fair? It's pretty clear what the counselors are gonna do; fix cars/boat/phone, call Tommy/police, get sweater/try to kill you. A good Jason doesn't need the benefit of super-sonic hearing to have the upper hand against mortal people. I've cleared many a room 8/8 while in a private party chat by myself so I'd never hear a word uttered from anyone. I've never once felt I was depriving myself of one of Jason's abilities.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

I don't need to test it. I know for a fact if you mute him he can not hear you (on PS4 anyway, can't speak for Xbox). To be clear; I'm talking about the actual sounds going into your mic, not the goofy yelps and cries for help your counselor spews every time Jason is near you. Muting him doesn't stop any of that. But, the chat-mute; this was discovered long ago shortly after the game first came out, and we always used it for the reasons I've shared (and my opinion is unchanged). If muting Jason was some frowned-upon advantage for the other players, the devs wouldn't have given you the option to do it with a simple click. It's a preference setting, not an unfair buff. 

I mean seriously, @Risinggrave, how much power/privilege do you need as Jason for you to consider the playing field fair? It's pretty clear what the counselors are gonna do; fix cars/boat/phone, call Tommy/police, get sweater/try to kill you. A good Jason doesn't need the benefit of super-sonic hearing to have the upper hand against mortal people. I've cleared many a room 8/8 while in a private party chat by myself so I'd never hear a word uttered from anyone. I've never once felt I was depriving myself of one of Jason's abilities.

That could be the case on PS4. I’m not sure. But I know muting him on Xbox doesn’t mute you on his end. So it seems to be some sort of glitch on the PS4 version if that’s the case. Either way, it’s still not cheating if you do. It’s still no different than playing without a mic at all. Are the counselors cheating in offline bot mode because you can’t hear them chatting??? Lol

• Like 1