After the recent patch, I saw a couple people mentioning that Jason’s grab is different in terms of its harder to grab.  I didn’t notice anything about it at first, but now it seems that grabbing is more short rage than it used to. Like, sometimes when I’m shifting outside a window and the counselor jumps out, I can’t grab them how it used to let me, it doesn’t always grab them. I thought maybe I’m looking too much into it after seeing some people say stuff about the grab, but has anybody else noticed this?

All I notice is that Jasons grab sucks badly, they should have never changed it, but that ship has long sailed.

• Thanks 2

Jason used to have the grabbing power of 13 JEDI Masters, but now only of 1 young padawan. Much to learn he has.

edit: hopefully you „grabbed“ my exaggeration in my post - it’s definitely not related to the latest patch, but the change goes back quite some time, not sure when exactly.

• Thanks 2

The recent patch has not changed Jason's grab whatsoever. I used to hate his current one, but over time I've come to believe it's actually a much better grab than the original one. Yeah, you can get nailed if you miss, but you can also grab from farther away than you used to, perfect for those smarmy little shits that are dancing on the other side of the couch that don't realize they're in grab range.

• Thanks 1

@HaHaTrumpWon Agreed, the old grab (pre-engine update), especially the range it had on launch, was ridiculous.  What I didn't like about it was that it can be spammed with no thought since Jason can shimmy back if the grab didn't land.  It was actually a valid strategy to spam grab and "twirl" it over and over and accidentally "suck" counselors in.  I am not a fan of game-play that rewards non-committed, no thought required actions.   Jason's grab now has an appropriate risk-reward commitment (Wiff, get stunned; Grabbed, counselor dies), and if I have any criticism towards it, it would be to slightly reduce it's recovery frames and bring back meat-shielding.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

@HaHaTrumpWon Agreed, the old grab (pre-engine update), especially the range it had on launch, was ridiculous.  What I didn't like about it was that it can be spammed with no thought since Jason can shimmy back if the grab didn't land.  It was actually a valid strategy to spam grab and "twirl" it over and over and accidentally "suck" counselors in.  I am not a fan of game-play that rewards non-committed, no thought required actions.   Jason's grab now has an appropriate risk-reward commitment (Wiff, get stunned; Grabbed, counselor dies), and if I have any criticism towards it, it would be to slightly reduce it's recovery frames and bring back meat-shielding.

People forget it's basically a lunge, not just a grab. You can actually time it right and succeed in grabbing someone from clear over a couch or the corner of a table, as well as when somebody tries to run past you suddenly. It's also much easier to pull off what I like to call "Dive bombing" SGs where you come straight from behind while they're running away.

Thanks for the answers. At first I didn’t see any change but I guess when I saw somebody mention about the grab range being different (even though it isn’t) it made me look too far into it and notice things that I hadn’t notice before even though the grab is the same.

@FridayThe31st It’s maybe more or less related to the „good days, bad days - theory:  on some days the timing of everything works perfect, a shift grab kill here, a combat stance / slash moment there and the lobby is wiped out pretty quick.  

But then, there are those other matches, in which you get the feeling that everything is working against you and in the end you come home to mommy with a clean machete, which didn’t get as much blood as you wanted it to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolledc said:

@FridayThe31st It’s maybe more or less related to the „good days, bad days - theory:  on some days the timing of everything works perfect, a shift grab kill here, a combat stance / slash moment there and the lobby is wiped out pretty quick.  

But then, there are those other matches, in which you get the feeling that everything is working against you and in the end you come home to mommy with a clean machete, which didn’t get as much blood as you wanted it to get.

Yeah that’s true. Yesterday I was after a crippled counselor and I missed the grab like three times 😂🤣

This is just like there are less machetes and more boarded up windows. 

I saw the thread title and expected a completely different TC. 

LMAO 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SirMang said:

This is just like there are less machetes and more boarded up windows. 

LMAO 

Lol, I think I know who you were expecting to be the OP.  Except I think the argument would be reversed, that Jason’s grab is OP and that he shouldn’t be able to grab counselors who are moving or something, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SirMang said:

Wait! The day is still long, maybe we will get two or three more threads about this topic later the Night, but then with questions like

WHY ISN‘T THERE A COOLDOWN FOR THE JASONS GRABS

JASONS SHOULD ONLY BE ABLE TO GRAB EVERY 30 SECONDS

COUNSELORS SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHOP OFF JASONS ARMS WITH MACHETES, SO THAT HE CANNOT GRAB, BUT FIRST BRING BACK MACHETES

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

If you are coming from the perspective of what this game was at launch you will think Jasons grab is pathetic , if you come from the perspective of what the game is now you, will think its fine , I dont think anyone is wrong or right, due to this being a very different game now, Jason is the hunted, not hunter now, part of the current game is about stunning jason and seeing how long you can make him look like a fool until you either escape or die. 

A majority of the people who still play this game came in after the engine upgrade,  so they have nothing to compare it to, people who have been here from the beginning can all agree that Jason has been severely nerfed from the jason at lauch, some may like it some may not but its fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolledc said:

Wait! The day is still long, maybe we will get two or three more threads about this topic later the Night, but then with questions like

WHY ISN‘T THERE A COOLDOWN FOR THE JASONS GRABS

JASONS SHOULD ONLY BE ABLE TO GRAB EVERY 30 SECONDS

COUNSELORS SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHOP OFF JASONS ARMS WITH MACHETES, SO THAT HE CANNOT GRAB, BUT FIRST BRING BACK MACHETES

Fuck you for beating me to it 🤣

As anti-Jason as that guy is, you'd think he was inappropriately touched by someone wearing a  hockey mask.

• Haha 1

Yeah. Sorry, but I couldn’t resist.  

My best guess: there is some kind of trauma involved, like something happened in the childhood / adolescent time that now always triggers his inner fears whenever Jason is around and on top of that which causes those disillusions and is responsible for his desperately need to kick Jason in his balls.

To break it down, some very parallels  to our famous little Jason boy in the original 1980s movie and we are sometimes not better than those former counselors, which were hunted down by Pamela. We should do better.

Remember that if a counselor is mid-animation from jumping through a window, you can't grab them until the animation finishes and control returns to that player. I think the same is true if they are simply climbing through slowly. Gotta wait for them to finish.

1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Remember that if a counselor is mid-animation from jumping through a window, you can't grab them until the animation finishes and control returns to that player. I think the same is true if they are simply climbing through slowly. Gotta wait for them to finish.

Off topic, but your name makes me laugh every time I see it. Thanks for that. 🍻

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

You can if you hit them with a TK mid-dive, though that one usually results in a rather salty counselor.

Just my personal opinion the current grab is good length wise directly in front as that lunge animation does give that little extra "Umph "to grab over certain objects as mentioned where you couldn't before and you don't need to lead your target as much coming from behind as before when shift grabbing. That being said I feel the cone left and right could be just a tad wider as you whiff on ones I think shouldn't. I'm not asking for much just a smidge wider.Reduce the recovery time so you aren't punished as much for missing a grab or for the love of God bring back meat shielding to make grabbing in groups viable again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

You can if you hit them with a TK mid-dive, though that one usually results in a rather salty counselor.

Yeah if they're just starting the animation, it'll reset them. If they are partway through, they'll pop to the other side.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, TedWhiteJ4 said:

If you are coming from the perspective of what this game was at launch you will think Jasons grab is pathetic , if you come from the perspective of what the game is now you, will think its fine

Well, Post Engine Grab is objectively weaker than Pre-Engine.  I know not everyone is going to agree with me, but it always bothered me when I see Jasons just spamming and twirling grab, with no thought or concern.  It was both an attack and avoiding swings.  I know a lot of Jason players liked it (because they benefited from it) but IMO engaging gameplay comes from throughout actions and commitments and the risks associated with them.  Jason spamming the grab is not committing to anything; "maybe I'll grab him, maybe I'll avoid his attack and grab him afterwards, I don't know 🤣".  Jason's grab now is fine and fair (considering it leads to instant death)  Nice range, covers the front of Jason just enough, maybe recovery can be reduced, and there is an consequence for missing it, encouraging to use it thoughtfully.  The removal of meat-shielding is what hurt the grab covering groups more than it's mechanics change.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, TedWhiteJ4 said:

Jason is the hunted, not hunter now

Yes, Jason was stronger then, but meta turn-around is more so from the fact that players are now so much more experienced of how to play the game and take advantage of Jason's weakness.  Even with the stronger grab, meat-shielding, counselor's friendly-fire from the launch build, Killing Jason has fundamentally always been the same.  Sweater, Tommy, Demasked, Dead.   If there is any one change I'd cite on making Jason easier to kill, is that Tommy spawning with a PK and Spray.  Tommy was much easier to kill on sight, he is now afforded 1 or 2 mistakes more when he'd be dead otherwise before that change (btw, I'm not necessarily against this buff, but Jason should have gotten something in return) .   But despite these changes, I'd still believe had the game stayed similar to launch we'd still be complaining that Jason's too easy to kill today.

I just want the original launch grab back with current animation and meat shielding back. Itll put cocky trolls back in their place.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, TedWhiteJ4 said:

If you are coming from the perspective of what this game was at launch you will think Jasons grab is pathetic , if you come from the perspective of what the game is now you, will think its fine , I dont think anyone is wrong or right, due to this being a very different game now, Jason is the hunted, not hunter now, part of the current game is about stunning jason and seeing how long you can make him look like a fool until you either escape or die. 

A majority of the people who still play this game came in after the engine upgrade,  so they have nothing to compare it to, people who have been here from the beginning can all agree that Jason has been severely nerfed from the jason at lauch, some may like it some may not but its fact.

Personally, I think Jason is too OP, and half of my counselor perks are useless with Jason being invincible after 10 minutes. Counselors need a 4th perk. Jason's grab should have a little cool down time of about 2-3 seconds. It's never worked properly, and I have enough to deal with as counselor...team killing, people helping Jason, bugs, glitches, etc. This game is not balanced.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Redcat345 said:

I just want the original launch grab back with current animation and meat shielding back. Itll put cocky trolls back in their place.

Cocky Jason's need to be put in their place as well.

21 minutes ago, MartianManhunter said:

Personally, I think Jason is too OP, and half of my counselor perks are useless with Jason being invincible after 10 minutes. Counselors need a 4th perk. Jason's grab should have a little cool down time of about 2-3 seconds. It's never worked properly, and I have enough to deal with as counselor...team killing, people helping Jason, bugs, glitches, etc. This game is not balanced.

This is a joke right? 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1