I installed the propeller on the boat and went to get the gas in the next cabin. I go to install the gas and two counselors run onto the dock. 

AJ sort of pushes me over while I’m installing the gas and gets in to start the boat. Okay, no biggie. So I notice the other counselor trying to cut me off, so I start spanning the A button, but no luck - 

I found and installed both the gas and propeller and still didn’t get to escape. Any tips to stop this from happening? 

That sucks! If a few people are nearby, I drop the part at the boat, so someone else will fix it and I can get in first. 

I’ve had this happen. If I’m  installing the second boat part & 2counsellors are waiting to hijack the boat I’ll stop and hope one leaves. If they insist on hanging around & trying to steal the boat I’ll keep failing the skill checks so Jason shows up & no one gets the boat. 

7 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I installed the propeller on the boat and went to get the gas in the next cabin. I go to install the gas and two counselors run onto the dock. 

AJ sort of pushes me over while I’m installing the gas and gets in to start the boat. Okay, no biggie. So I notice the other counselor trying to cut me off, so I start spanning the A button, but no luck - 

I found and installed both the gas and propeller and still didn’t get to escape. Any tips to stop this from happening? 

If it's a competent Jason, he'll respond to boat sound, stop it, and drown the passenger.  Hopefully if its close to the exit, you can "try" to swim out and ride out.

With that said, when you start the boat, quickly get off and get ready deal with Jason.  If you survive the encounter, Jason can't tip the boat without passengers, so you won't need to restart it and alert Jason again.

I doubt that all of us are facing   the same two Hijackers, but It happened to me as well more than twice.

Doing the repair minigame  intentionally wrong, is one possibility, but most time it could get you killed as well.

I do the following:

# one counselor at the boat fixing a part, I run to him, dropping the second part on my way from time to time so that he knows the escape is an option and can wait and both of us escape together

# two counselors at the boat, one fixing one part: I wait in the nearest  cabin (with gas/propeller in hand) till they leave the boat area far enough, than I run for the boat. It normally provides enough time to finish the repair, get into the boat. One of the two then gets the second seat.

however, this is no guarantee: there was a match in which I did exactly the second thing, I waited in the boat, the two arrived but no one entered it. Next second Jason spawns, pushes the boat and drowns me. The other two get into the boat and escape 😂