mattshotcha

Patch Notes 1.36 - 1.20.2020

14 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

Yea, that's my thinking.  While I'm in favor, for the most part, for the Rage update (mainly to deal with a group of combat competent counselors sticking together) I do think that he can get into it too quickly.  In rage, once the car is stopped it is really hard to get it going again without a shotgun, so giving counselors more stun chances to make the escape would help balance it.

Meh.. I disagree.

If Jason has a car locked down.  Theres still the phone, maybe another car, or a boat,..or just straight up surviving for 20 mins.      Since Jason can't be everywhere at once.   Counselors need to give up an objective if Jason has it locked down, not be given a way to forcefully beat Jason silly while they accomplish it.

Counselors need to be kept in check. 

• Like 3

Hello everybody !

I'm glad to see that the game is still supported ;) 

I just have one concern, if you please listen to me : I think the modification made to the Rage Mode is too steep. Losing the ability to stun Jason make all the perks for that useless, and characters with high strength are just unplayable now. I can see why you did this, but it would be nice instead of dropping to zero, just lower the chance of stunning Jason when he's in Rage Mode.

That would be more fair.

Please, please, take this opinion into account ! I love your game and I would like to continue to play it, but not with this modification !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Math' said:

I just have one concern, if you please listen to me : I think the modification made to the Rage Mode is too steep. Losing the ability to stun Jason make all the perks for that useless, and characters with high strength are just unplayable now. I can see why you did this, but it would be nice instead of dropping to zero, just lower the chance of stunning Jason when he's in Rage Mode.

That would be more fair.

Welcome to the forums. 

First I would like to correct you.  Strength has no barring on stun.  In fact, it's actually has an advantage when Jason is in rage and still has his mask on.  The demasking hit will resort in a brief stun.  Not much, but it's worth considering.

While the rage buff does indeed increase the difficulty surviving Jason, I promise you that this game is counselor favored.  I'm a good counselor player, also a good Jason player, anyone who played with me will back that, and I'm going to tell you counselors have the advantage.   With the rage buff, being a good counselor now requires more skill and knowledge than before.  At the casual level, this game is heavily favored Killer, even if its the most basic play-level Jason.  But once the lobby has even a couple of players that know how to deal and combat Jason, then Jason has his work cut out for him.  If you every seen league play, escapes still happen, cops still get called, Jason still gets killed.  Honestly (minus killing Jason ofc :P), I think the balance dynamic isn't bad at all currently.

If you are having trouble with Jason, consider my advice dealing with rage.  First, ofc, escape before you have to deal with it.  Learn to hit Jason without relying on the stun for the Stamina bonus; toggle on and off Combat stance to bait Jason into over committing into something, then punish.  Hit him from the side or back, never in front since he'll just grab you after the hit.  Learn the various cancel tech, dodge cancel and block cancel, which requires toggling Combat stance quickly before the swing.  Jason also take full damage on an successful hit that doesn't stun, so keep that in mind if you have go for the Jason kill when he's in rage.

Have fun learning, don't worry about your survive to death ratio.  Once you get to that level, then most Jasons will be a cake walk.  I don't have any problems surviving regularly, and it's not even my priority ether when I play :P

• Like 1

I think its important to remember that rage wasn't actually that good to begin with in its old state.

It amounted to...

- A bit faster cooldown on abilities

- Super Sense, but that's actually something that I disagree with since it just makes late game a constant loopathon fight and makes any sort of hide and seek gameplay irrelevant. If they would just get rid of the toggle, that would make a difference.

- A door busting mechanic that left Jason easy pickings for a stun on the other side which left many, MANY Jasons opting to just break a door down the normal way. If you have a situation where players would rather go with the time consuming mechanic (regardless of a regular attack, a combat stance attack or double tapping a door) over the supposed upgraded door busting mechanic. Then its a broken ability. Its funny that they actually took the time to prevent counselors stunning Jason through doors, but they never gave him any sort of protection from being stunned after using a mechanic that's supposed to be more powerful.

That was basically the long and short of rage. Jason didn't really gain much from a supposed 'final' form. It might have seemed good at or around launch and beta, but over time with everybody learning the game. The old rage became not much of a gain for Jason.

That said, the rage mechanic as it is now is just lazy and pushes the already established lopsided meta towards the boring loopathon, 20 minute struggle, go for the Jason kill, etc. It felt like the easiest band aid they could give to the playerbase to offset the 'Jason is a pinata for trolls' argument.

It does need change. So many ideas have been proposed and if they decide to change it again, they'll take heat regardless.

I think the easiest way to make weapons useful in rage is just making each one a one hit use. They can stun Jason, but they break instantly. That gives everybody a fighting chance, makes the kill mechanic a bit tougher, knowing the weapons break instantly, etc.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Cristiano said:

does anyone know when this patch will be released in the switch version?

@mattshotcha said earlier in this topic that it is coming soon. He didn’t give a physical date. 

Destroying the cars with a throwing knife is still happening.

Just had a Jason player on the Jarvis map flip the 2 seater with a knife. Destroyed it. I quit immediately.

I hate the Jarvis and Pinehurst map.

3 minutes ago, GhostWolfViking said:

Just had a Jason player on the Jarvis map flip the 2 seater with a knife. Destroyed it

Same just happened on Packanack.

There was a time in which Jason was OP, now only his knives are...

8 minutes ago, GhostWolfViking said:

They said that the car glitch wasn't going to be fixed with this patch. The cars are the main focus for the next patch.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GhostWolfViking said:

Just had a Jason player on the Jarvis map flip the 2 seater with a knife. Destroyed it. I quit immediately.

Don't do that! Make them chase you for the rest of the match. Payback for using a glitch. Most will rage quit when they realize they are never going to catch you and are tired of being embarrassed. I hate to be a jerk in this game, but sometimes its warranted.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 7:27 AM, GeneiJin said:

@mattshotcha First of all, thank you for your efforts.  This patch has been a good one and delivered content/options that no one here was expecting.  Thank you.  I can't complain about it beside knifing the car hasn't been addressed, which of course you've been transparent about for this patch.

Moving forward, I want to ask you what you personally think of my suggestion.  Jason is overall, I feel, balanced where he needs to be, with the sole exception on how easy and early killing him is.  All it takes are a few counselors w/ combat experience to take him out, and because it can be done as soon as Tommy spawns on the map, optimally it's best to go for it when he arrives.  There isn't many counterplay for Jason since just about after any stun Jason can take damage, and all it can take is Jason walking into 1 trap, taking a shotgun, and one hit from Tommy for an demask, which are all likely even if kill squads aren't considered.  This essentially forcing the Jason to play like he's walking on eggshells, make it about whether Tommy was called or not as the determining factor of how the game goes.  Theses are problems because unlike any of the other objective, Killing Jason ends the game for everyone, and there is little prevention from stopping it before a full and meaningful game is played out.  The kill can be done before Jason gets all his abilities, nevermind getting rage.

What I believe would remedy this scenario, while still not effected the causal experience or making escapes harder, is simply make Jason damage immune until rage.  All this would do is move the Jason killing opportunity from when Tommy arrives to later in the game.  This would encourage seeking escape opportunities first, since Jason can't be killed right away.  Also once Jason gets rage, he will become vulnerable to it so it's in his best interest to reduce the counselor numbers before it.  More counselor's left, more counselor left to fight the mask off.  This is what the game should be like.  Escape first. If that fails, try to kill him. If that fails, survive the night.  Bad Jasons will still die, but protected long enough to at least thwart an car escape or cops.  Kill squads will actually have to deal with Jason, since they can't just kill him right away.  Experienced Jasons and counselors can have an more dynamic game that is beyond just getting to the Tommy call first.

Any input you have I'd like to hear, as I really do want to hear what you think of this idea, @mattshotcha.   If there is one more thing I'd could add, it would be to reduce rage gained from hits.  Keep the rage increased from game time untouched, just from hits.  Give counselors more opportunities to stun Jason before he gets rage to help with objectives.  I feel right now, Jason gets into rage way too fast, often on the very first battle over objectives.

Moving the mask coming off to only after Rage will incentivize players to push Jason into Rage, which then, if they fail the kill, leaves every counselor at an earlier disadvantage. I don't see this as a viable option for tuning mask or Jason Kill scenario. 

You also note that it would give Jason pause when he gets to Rage, making him vulnerable. That is the antithesis of the Rage design. 

I also disagree that experienced players will suddenly be more motivated to fix cars and things because the kill is delayed. I think in the structure you describe, kill squads will just prep for the kill and maybe have a few sacrificial lambs smack on Jason in an attempt to push Rage sooner rather than fix a car.

I think the answer here is not going to be something that takes a roundabout way to attempt to drive players to other options. This topic has received a lot of feedback and discussion, and if any change were to be made in terms of the kill process, it would be more straightforward and only affect the kill process, nothing else. Rage can't be a casualty of the mask situation.

18 hours ago, GhostWolfViking said:

That was not in this patch, but will be investigated next. More news as soon as I have it.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Cristiano said:

does anyone know when this patch will be released in the switch version?

1 hour ago, Cristiano said:

Cristiano, please do not quote your own post in this manner, as it is against general forum rules. Also, please don't use massive text like that. It's not neccesarily a rule infringement, it's just kind of obnoxious. You can feel free to tag me in if you want something answered, but this text is not going to get extra eyes on your post, tagging me will.

A community member did already answer this, and I'll confirm. No date just yet, but the team should have this sorted and out on Switch very soon. The different platforms just have a staggered approach to patches.

34 minutes ago, The Rain said:

@mattshotcha there is a possibility that there is a patch so that the blockage is at least a little faster and increase HP

Possibility, yes. But it's a slim one. The team will investigate and evaluate in time. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

Moving the mask coming off to only after Rage will incentivize players to push Jason into Rage, which then, if they fail the kill, leaves every counselor at an earlier disadvantage. I don't see this as a viable option for tuning mask or Jason Kill scenario.

Worrying about Jason getting into rage too early?  That isn't too different than how it is currently.  Usually on the first conflict with a kill squad, once they are done w/ the demask, Jason is ether at rage or now just about.  This is another reason why I suggested tweaking the Rage gained from hits to be reduced.  Of course some players would try to push Jason into Rage, but against a good Jason, especially if he can't be killed quite yet, can take advantage of their overzealous to dwindle down their numbers and supplies before rage.  This would make it easier for Jason to deal with, than the potential of an entire lobby fighting for the J-Kill if it's available too early.

You also note that it would give Jason pause when he gets to Rage, making him vulnerable. That is the antithesis of the Rage design.

I don't understand what you mean by "it would give Jason pause".  Right now he is already vulnerable whether he is in rage or not.  Delaying damage opportunities keeps his mask on and will preserve full mask HP until then.  With no threat of being killed until rage will give Jason more flexibility on how he can handle Kill squads.  This is a buff.

I also disagree that experienced players will suddenly be more motivated to fix cars and things because the kill is delayed. I think in the structure you describe, kill squads will just prep for the kill and maybe have a few sacrificial lambs smack on Jason in an attempt to push Rage sooner rather than fix a car.

As long as there is an win condition that allows the survivors to kill  the killer, kill squads will always be a thing. If they want to forgo escapes to kill him, it's a valid choice.  It's part of the game and has a place so long it can be balanced.  As is, it's the most predicable (fixed sweater locations vs random objective spawns) and least risky (demasking in an group w/ weapons able to defend vs stuck in auto-animation or inside car unable to defend), once players come to that realization, it's the easiest most reliable win condition so long as counselors call Tommy before the power is cut.  Tommy can demask as little as his first hit and it's a wrap.  Jason ether dies or unable to approach anywhere near the sweater, leaving other escapes unchallenged.  Give Jason a grace period before rage, let the kill squad decide if they will attempt to beat Jason into rage (unwise on an skilled and smart Jason) or play it safe and survive until the kill opportunity to make their move.

I think the answer here is not going to be something that takes a roundabout way to attempt to drive players to other options. This topic has received a lot of feedback and discussion, and if any change were to be made in terms of the kill process, it would be more straightforward and only affect the kill process, nothing else. Rage can't be a casualty of the mask situation.

This solution is straightforward and the only effects the kill process, at least when it can happen.  Jason can be stunned before rage, he can be damaged after in rage.  Very simple.  Everything else about the game will remains unchanged.  Rage would not at all be a casualty because its not mechanically effected by this change.  The only change would be before it.  The argument that players would be incentivize to push Jason into Rage should not be a concern if it's at the cost of giving Jason additional protection that is sorely needed. How easy killing Jason is currently is already enough incentive to ditch escapes.  Putting a road block will ensure the game will continue until Jason gets rage at the very least.

If you haven't seen this, we did this last month just to prove how out of hand it can get.  On average each game lasted only around 6 mins.  Not expecting for you to watch all of it, just comb through to the interesting parts to get an idea of how out of hand this is currently.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/524178000?t=5h43m18s

• Like 1

Jason's rage suits me well (I play main counselor), even if sometimes we are punished by the players who keep the fuse until their death.
It would be nice if the fuse was visible permanently in the inventory by all players. We could guide those who have it, and also detect teams with Jason who don't want to fix the phone.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:15 PM, Math' said:

Hello everybody !

I'm glad to see that the game is still supported ;) 

That would be more fair.

Please, please, take this opinion into account ! I love your game and I would like to continue to play it, but not with this modification !

Fair?   Just wondering how long counselors get stunned for when Jason hits them?

Im all for removing Jasons stun immunity during his rage mode.   But, Counselors need to bite dirt when Jason hits them too.  That would be fair.    But that's now how things are.

It makes zero sense to see counselors take an axe to the chest and barely flinch..  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

Worrying about Jason getting into rage too early?  That isn't too different than how it is currently.  Usually on the first conflict with a kill squad, once they are done w/ the demask, Jason is ether at rage or now just about.  This is another reason why I suggested tweaking the Rage gained from hits to be reduced.  Of course some players would try to push Jason into Rage, but against a good Jason, especially if he can't be killed quite yet, can take advantage of their overzealous to dwindle down their numbers and supplies before rage.  This would make it easier for Jason to deal with, than the potential of an entire lobby fighting for the J-Kill if it's available too early.

I don't understand what you mean by "it would give Jason pause".  Right now he is already vulnerable whether he is in rage or not.  Delaying damage opportunities keeps his mask on and will preserve full mask HP until then.  With no threat of being killed until rage will give Jason more flexibility on how he can handle Kill squads.  This is a buff.

As long as there is an win condition that allows the survivors to kill  the killer, kill squads will always be a thing. If they want to forgo escapes to kill him, it's a valid choice.  It's part of the game and has a place so long it can be balanced.  As is, it's the most predicable (fixed sweater locations vs random objective spawns) and least risky (demasking in an group w/ weapons able to defend vs stuck in auto-animation or inside car unable to defend), once players come to that realization, it's the easiest most reliable win condition so long as counselors call Tommy before the power is cut.  Tommy can demask as little as his first hit and it's a wrap.  Jason ether dies or unable to approach anywhere near the sweater, leaving other escapes unchallenged.  Give Jason a grace period before rage, let the kill squad decide if they will attempt to beat Jason into rage (unwise on an skilled and smart Jason) or play it safe and survive until the kill opportunity to make their move.

This solution is straightforward and the only effects the kill process, at least when it can happen.  Jason can be stunned before rage, he can be damaged after in rage.  Very simple.  Everything else about the game will remains unchanged.  Rage would not at all be a casualty because its not mechanically effected by this change.  The only change would be before it.  The argument that players would be incentivize to push Jason into Rage should not be a concern if it's at the cost of giving Jason additional protection that is sorely needed. How easy killing Jason is currently is already enough incentive to ditch escapes.  Putting a road block will ensure the game will continue until Jason gets rage at the very least.

If you haven't seen this, we did this last month just to prove how out of hand it can get.  On average each game lasted only around 6 mins.  Not expecting for you to watch all of it, just comb through to the interesting parts to get an idea of how out of hand this is currently.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/524178000?t=5h43m18s

There is a difference between some players choosing to push Rage and the game mechanics motivating players to push Rage.

The pause comment is in reply to you saying once he hits Rage he knows he's vulnerable. Giving Jason a vulnerability during Rage is the exact opposite of what Rage should be.

The rest of your reply is very contradictory. For example, you say it would be unwise for players to try and push Rage on a skilled Jason. If it's so unwise to push Rage on a skilled Jason then why is it not also unwise to try and kill Jason so quickly? That doesn't line up. Either one or the other, but you can't really make both arguments clearly. The solution you provide also does not ONLY effect the kill process. Not at all. As I said previously, it will motivate players to get Jason to Rage quicker. Then what happens if the Jason player squashes their kill attempt? The rest of the lobby is stuck with a Raging Jason and a busted kill process trying to escape. It's not a good call. 

15 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Fair?   Just wondering how long counselors get stunned for when Jason hits them?

Im all for removing Jasons stun immunity during his rage mode.   But, Counselors need to bite dirt when Jason hits them too.  That would be fair.    But that's now how things are.

It makes zero sense to see counselors take an axe to the chest and barely flinch..  

Probably the biggest problem with the combat system itself. Lack of punishment for counselors when being hit by Jason.

Zero downside for counselors. Just swing and swing, quickly heal a bit from him, then swing some more until the weapon breaks. Pack in a counselor with a high level thick skin/medic/swift or sucker punch. The only time this really isn't the case is if you're dealing with someone brand new to the game, without any perks whatsoever and even then, they'll be able to stun him or damage him once or twice before he swings them down in a crowd.

It doesn't take skill to surround him with 2 or 3 people who just so happen to be carrying machetes or looking to protect someone else trying to repair to demask him in about 5 seconds with decent thick skin/medic and swift attacker. They don't even have to be looking to kill him. Boom goes the mask, then all it takes is a public quick match Tommy interested and a sweater and its over less than 10 minutes into the game. Regardless of whether Jason blocks and/or uses his knives up close and even if its not over. The game is still over for Jason as he walks on eggshells the rest of the game, having to play even more defense, not only from objectives but also himself and some of those Jasons will just rage out because they can't do their job anymore and obviously because ego, just like the reverse when counselors don't get the Jason kill and just ragequit because they don't want to do anything else.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Probably the biggest problem with the combat system itself. Lack of punishment for counselors when being hit by Jason.

Zero downside for counselors. Just swing and swing, quickly heal a bit from him, then swing some more until the weapon breaks. Pack in a counselor with a high level thick skin/medic/swift or sucker punch.

Ya man.   Its probably been one of my biggest issues with the game.  And I've voiced my opinion on it many times.

Guess its too late now to add counselors hit animations.  Where counselors get knocked down and have to stand back up.  Which would be great.

But I've always thought that they could easily add counselors just being disarmed when Jason lands an attack.  This would at the very least stop counselors from being so aggressive when attacking Jason.  And remove the mindset of Tit for Tat attacks against Jason.   So now counselor needs to land the attack 1st.  And if they don't they have to either run away or try to pick up the weapon again.    

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Ya man.   Its probably been one of my biggest issues with the game.  And I've voiced my opinion on it many times.

Guess its too late now to add counselors hit animations.  Where counselors get knocked down and have to stand back up.  Which would be great.

But I've always thought that they could add easily add counselors just being disarmed when Jason lands an attack.  This would at the very least stop counselors from being so aggressive when attacking Jason.  And remove the mindset of Tit for Tat attacks against Jason.   So now counselor needs to land the attack 1st.  And if they don't they have to either run away or try to pick up the weapon again.    

Yep, agree 100 percent.

Its the same issue I have with stats like composure.

In a slasher film setting. A character with a high end stat like that should be able to survive being around Jason up close more than a low composure counselor. Yet that's not the case and its just silly to me. The whole occasional tripping thing isn't enough of an offset if you can just keep him at arms length with superior speed/stamina. The counselors with this low end stat should occasionally be falling to the ground as they do in slasher films, opening them up to death. Chad, Tiff, Bugs and Vanessa shouldn't be able to play ring around the rose with Jason forever and ever. There could be even more factors to make the stat more complex as well. Characters like Adam, Fox, Jenny and AJ should be able to survive much better up close. The characters above with the stat being low end should be merely good at keeping him away UNTIL he gets close.

However, the design of the game was clearly meant to be basic. Hence everybody can repair, even low repair characters by manipulating skill checks. Everybody can kinda survive being up close to Jason, provided they have the right tools. In rage now, its definitely less doable to survive without speed/stamina thanks to the rage update, because those counselors can't defend themselves anymore outside of a PK, demask or shottie. Its why the perks were brought in most likely instead of keeping the special abilities concept they were toying with before release. Sure, the special abilities more than likely would've created another tier system if not well thought out, but at the very least, the gameplay may have felt less basic and more complex.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

There is a difference between some players choosing to push Rage and the game mechanics motivating players to push Rage.

The pause comment is in reply to you saying once he hits Rage he knows he's vulnerable. Giving Jason a vulnerability during Rage is the exact opposite of what Rage should be.

But this isn't giving Jason a vulnerability during rage, he is already vulnerability anytime.  Players will be motivated to do anything that will play into their favor or agenda.  Looking at it another way, it can actually be a deterrent attempting to kill him or at least have them waiting till rage on its own.  Yes, weak and new Jasons could be beaten into rage early, since they don't know how do defend or use an advantage (not being damaged).  Heck, if it's a really weak Jason, I've seen kill squads stick around to pester Jason, with no concern about rage, until Tommy and sweater ends the game.  But let's not all act like all Jasons will just sit there and let himself be punked into it. Strong Jasons that can play patiently, defend, and strategize will appreciate the extra flexibility granted by immunity.   I know with the players I play with would rather not engage with me if they can't kill me within a minimal confrontation. 

12 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

The rest of your reply is very contradictory. For example, you say it would be unwise for players to try and push Rage on a skilled Jason. If it's so unwise to push Rage on a skilled Jason then why is it not also unwise to try and kill Jason so quickly? That doesn't line up. Either one or the other, but you can't really make both arguments clearly. The solution you provide also does not ONLY effect the kill process. Not at all. As I said previously, it will motivate players to get Jason to Rage quicker. Then what happens if the Jason player squashes their kill attempt? The rest of the lobby is stuck with a Raging Jason and a busted kill process trying to escape. It's not a good call. 

You are misunderstanding me if you think I'm being contradictory, so let me clarify.  How it is currently, as long as Tommy and Sweater are together and the mask can be removed in 1-2 hits, you can end the game as soon as it falls off.  It's an incentive to kill him early, especially on a strong Jason, because you can trivialize him to play very little game.  That twitch link demonstrates that exact strategy. Give Jason damage immunity,  then it would be "unwise" to attempt to push a skilled Jason into rage because he can make it difficult to do so and punish them, methodically manage the rage meter, and decide which conflicts to take or avoid.  There is an actual risk for the kill squad since Jason can't be killed outright in 1 -2 hits early game, adding prolonged risks, and when he actually gets rage, Jason will be at full HP to defend himself with.  These are additional tools Jason can use against squads and a strong Jason could deter them to instead prioritize surviving until rage passively occurs.  Also, not all lobbies are looking to kill Jason, so they wouldn't be incentivize to give him rage just to do damage.

You say my stance is contradictory, but how about yours?  It's ironic that you are worried that players will beat Jason into Rage and will be unable to handle him, but yet implement that very mechanic which makes him unstunnable in it, the very source of contention in the community, especially with the more causal of players.  As a counselor player, I have adapted and can handle Jason being unstunnable.  Many players have, just as @Mayday expressed.  The lobby lives and dies by the choices and consequences of all it's players.  If some players aren't working on a escape while others are preparing to kill Jason and it fails, its on them. And even if Jason is in rage, as long as there is enough counselors left to spread the map, escapes are still possible.

Thank you for responding Matt.  I am not arguing for the sake of argument.  Jason needs an additional protection, whether its my suggestion or something else.  Please take my stance with some consideration as someone who is well versed in both Jason and counselor play, and has 3000 hours of game play experience.

• Like 2

@MonroeM62 please do not multi post. Please wait for a reply or conversation to happen before posting again. Bumping the topic will not get your questions answered any faster and such posting is against the forum rules.