hirokc44

My Honest Opinion on the Overpowered Rage Mode

Rage buff is what ruined the game for me and my pals who used to play it. We played since launch,  and it was a great social chilled game and then when destiny 2 came out most of the group switched games or went to dead by daylight but us few stayed because Friday was such a great game. Then the rage buff came out and completely ruined the experience because we would have to play QP lobbies and majority of the time it would involve new players with no comms and they'd have the fuse and not drop it or fix the phone or have the keys so if Jason got rage,  you could survive the night by fighting him off and sometimes you'd win,  sometimes you wouldn't but the point was that it was fun.  Now it's saying if you don't get objectives done you lose if you can't juke which is complete bs and it was all because of the Jason mains who kept bitching about being treated like a pinata, but keep in mind that those same people who couldn't adapt to the game tell people nowadays to adjust to the rage buff which is a huge contradiction. I used to main Jason alot and I never once complained because it was always a challenge to deal with that and given no new content was being released, getting a easy 7/7 or 8/8 was boring. But the game is virtually dead and I keep coming back onto the forums every now and then to see if just maybe they rework the rage buff but it's not going to be changed which is a shame because Friday was the first game that got me playing online gaming and helped me get out of a really dark time and feel better.

• Haha 1

@Thunder, this game has done some great things for a lot of people. It's good to hear that you got through some dark times because of this game.

Quick Play is always gonna be a mixed bag. New players have to learn like everyone else did. Sometimes it's not a smooth experience.

Private matches are still an option for players who want to avoid a lot of the stuff newer players are known for.

As far as complaints and requests for change, that's true on both sides (Jason and counselor alike).

Although the Rage buff isn't likely to be reworked, it can be adjusted. Let's hope the developers are still open to that.

Our beloved game isn't quite dead yet. We've got jumper cables hooked to a car battery that's keeping it going.

• Like 2

I like the rage buff. I still usually fix things and escape as a councilor. It just made it a more fun time as Jason... was so sick of players smacking me and teabaging. This way, I don’t mind getting it; if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shainto said:

I like the rage buff. I still usually fix things and escape as a councilor. It just made it a more fun time as Jason... was so sick of players smacking me and teabaging. This way, I don’t mind getting it; if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine lol

Awesome choice of Star Wars reference. I approve.

While the Rage buff doesn't sit well with everybody, it's nice to see someone making the most of it from both sides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, tyrant666 said:

In my experience, most pub/quick plays will go for whatever is the easiest method of winning. That goes for any mode where the playerbase is divided in any game., not just F13. The casual/easier mode will be played, the harder mode gets neglected.

Make it optional.. Every 150 level player will spam more Packacrap Small with the rage update turned off.

On the subject of picking maps on QP, I think it should be locked to random with rain off since frames dip if you don't have PS4 Pro or Xbox One X (for console players. 

On 10/15/2019 at 4:27 AM, hirokc44 said:

if the Jason has even the slightest idea how to play, the counselors won't survive the night

Tell that to all the high-level Jason's getting killed in the first 5-6 minutes of the round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do really hate that packnack small gets picked so much. I quit out of lobbies if I see it chosen on purpose 

1 hour ago, Shainto said:

I do really hate that packnack small gets picked so much. I quit out of lobbies if I see it chosen on purpose 

A lot of players lobby hop for that reason alone.

• Like 3

On 10/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, Urmomsnewman said:

If the devs actually cared what anyone thought they would just put a toggle on quick play to turn on/off rage melee stuns then everyone could play the way the want

@mattshotcha

And split our community up further? If we did that, can we point anyone that is unhappy about the potentially longer search times for lobbies in your direction?

This "If the devs actually cared..." line is assuming that we haven't been tracking the rage topic since before the change was made. We have, and the split in the community would be almost directly down the middle, leaving each side with half the potential low ping connections they have now. So before you claim that we don't listen and/or care, consider the other side of the coin for a second.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:19 AM, hirokc44 said:

While there are quite a few people who feel thay the rage update given to us on January 2019 was a much needed buff, i beg to differ.
I feel that it is ,as some people on reddit say, a "band-aid" fix for the beginner Jasons who didnt have the patience to ride the learning curve. To add to this as a jason player, I don't feel any sense of accomplishment when i kill an entire lobby with my OP abilities.
Its been many months since the rage update and ive noticed that 9 times Outta 10, there will always be a group of trolls who senselessly smack jason all the way to rage mode. As a result, the penalty of their actions falls on the peaceful players who are focused on the objectives.
Another problem with the rage mode is the spam grabbing. The stun invulnerability of post-rage Jason makes it such that counselors can be grabbed instantaneously after being saved . The only way you can escape a grab after rage is to hope for Jason's mask to come off because of which he is stunned momentarily. And this brings me to another grievance , once you're injured post-rage,  doesn't matter if the entire lobby tries to distract jason, you WILL not survive. Again, we have to thank the stun invulnerability for this. I liked this game more than other games such as  DbD because you can atleast fight back but now it has turned more or less into a game of waiting for your stamina to run out.
There are alternatives I can suggest:
- Make all stuns post rage "instant recovery standing stuns" , the ones where you dont have to mash buttons to recover from. This would result in a stun that is about a second long. Very quick recovery but still solves the issue of instant regrabs, being unable to heal when Jason is on top of you, being unable to distract Jason when he's on top of an objective and combat that feels very unrewarding/unresponsive.
-Keep the rage abilities but make it such that the rage meter is unaffected/less boosted by counselors attacking jason so that we dont get the rage mode too early in the game as a result of a group of trolls.
-Remove the stun invulnerability but give jason more throwing knives from the start.
-Remove the stun invulnerability but make counselors recover slower from melee hits so that they cannot instantly hit jason after being slashed.
I got many of these alternatives from Reddit, so Gun Media, kindly go through the F13 subreddits if you want to hear a wider range of opinions on this .
(Note: After the rage update, everybody seems to be using only high stamina characters like Vanessa/Buggzy etc which I cant blame, so many of the other counselors tend to be unused because they just can't survive jason post rage, this is another proof that the game still needs some balancing. Not to mention the number of jason teamers have rapidly increased...)

While a major overhaul of the Rage mechanic is not something we think will fit in the scope of the project at this point, there is valuable feedback here. I appreciate the post.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:00 AM, Fair Play said:

@Thunder, this game has done some great things for a lot of people. It's good to hear that you got through some dark times because of this game.

Quick Play is always gonna be a mixed bag. New players have to learn like everyone else did. Sometimes it's not a smooth experience.

Private matches are still an option for players who want to avoid a lot of the stuff newer players are known for.

As far as complaints and requests for change, that's true on both sides (Jason and counselor alike).

Although the Rage buff isn't likely to be reworked, it can be adjusted. Let's hope the developers are still open to that.

Our beloved game isn't quite dead yet. We've got jumper cables hooked to a car battery that's keeping it going.

Trust me,  if I could get into private matches,  I'd still play the game regardless of the way it is,  but being from Australia, no one hardly plays it anymore as the Americans do.  Me and my buddy had to play with a few American friends we met from the game,  but the ping was always 400 plus which made it glitchy and laggy for us.  I'd be open for a rework,  make it so Jason isn't treated like a punching bag and give the counselors a way of fighting back.  I never exploited the option of fighting Jason to troll,  but as a way to survive the night if it was the last resort.  

5 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Trust me,  if I could get into private matches,  I'd still play the game regardless of the way it is,  but being from Australia, no one hardly plays it anymore as the Americans do.  Me and my buddy had to play with a few American friends we met from the game,  but the ping was always 400 plus which made it glitchy and laggy for us.  I'd be open for a rework,  make it so Jason isn't treated like a punching bag and give the counselors a way of fighting back.  I never exploited the option of fighting Jason to troll,  but as a way to survive the night if it was the last resort.  

It sounds like you might have to find a few more Australia friends to get a good Private match going. Any chance of that happening in the future?

I'm not looking for a rework to happen this late in the game's lifespan, but small changes here and there could still likely be made. That's better than nothing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

It sounds like you might have to find a few more Australia friends to get a good Private match going. Any chance of that happening in the future?

I'm not looking for a rework to happen this late in the game's lifespan, but small changes here and there could still likely be made. That's better than nothing.

Unfortunately not.  Most of the ones I knew moved onto different games and it usually takes me 10 minutes plus to get into a lobby and it's Asian servers that are 200 ping. Been playing DBD and enjoying it with a few friends, but Friday will always have a special place in my mind.  Just hope you guys who still play get some of the bugs and glitches fixed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder said:

Unfortunately not.  Most of the ones I knew moved onto different games and it usually takes me 10 minutes plus to get into a lobby and it's Asian servers that are 200 ping. Been playing DBD and enjoying it with a few friends, but Friday will always have a special place in my mind.  Just hope you guys who still play get some of the bugs and glitches fixed.  

I wish you the best of enjoyment with Dead By Daylight.

Hopefully, if things improve in this game, one day you could come back to it and have friends to accompany you as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 7:18 PM, Dragonfire82877 said:

At this juncture of the game’s life span, I’ll agree that there will be no major changes to the rage update. If it was about 12 months ago @hirokc44, I believe your thread would have gotten a lot more attention. With Matt already making comments about why certain things will not be considered due to where the game is in it’s life span, I think you can only realistically expect about 3 more updates to this game. In those updates, don’t expect anything other than them trying to remove the most critical bugs/glitches. There have been some really good suggestions in this topic though, just wish the game was in a better place right now. 

Yes @Dragonfire82877, I should have posted this earlier given the current state of the game , but i still wanna cling to the iota to hope that atleast some of the suggestions materialise in the game and make it more fun to play as a counselor. Also 12 months ago, i didn't really have a negative opinion on the rage update coz all these scummy practices have been developed only recently.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:02 AM, mattshotcha said:

And split our community up further? If we did that, can we point anyone that is unhappy about the potentially longer search times for lobbies in your direction?

This "If the devs actually cared..." line is assuming that we haven't been tracking the rage topic since before the change was made. We have, and the split in the community would be almost directly down the middle, leaving each side with half the potential low ping connections they have now. So before you claim that we don't listen and/or care, consider the other side of the coin for a second.

While a major overhaul of the Rage mechanic is not something we think will fit in the scope of the project at this point, there is valuable feedback here. I appreciate the post.

Glad to hear it @mattshotcha, thanks for replying :).  While a complete overhaul of the rage mechanic will be preferred, i think the counselor community can settle for some of the easier to implement toggles suggested by myself and other people here :).

As I said in my main post, this update is like a "band-aid" fix for Jason players who didn't have the patience to ride the learning curve and adapt to the way counselors played.

Another toggle/suggestion that i would like to share to balance out the rage mode is that when a counselor strikes Jason in rage, two things can happen:

> Jason freezes in place for 2-3 seconds unable to perform any action whatsoever.

> Jason is able to move freely but he is unable to slash/grab or perform any other action for about 2-3 seconds.

Both of these suggestions/toggles will solve the problem of spam grab/slash that Jasons tend to abuse now-a-days and make it possible for counselors to actually save each other even after rage hits.

10 hours ago, hirokc44 said:

Another toggle/suggestion that i would like to share to balance out the rage mode is that when a counselor strikes Jason in rage, two things can happen:

> Jason freezes in place for 2-3 seconds unable to perform any action whatsoever.

> Jason is able to move freely but he is unable to slash/grab or perform any other action for about 2-3 seconds.

Both of these suggestions/toggles will solve the problem of spam grab/slash that Jasons tend to abuse now-a-days and make it possible for counselors to actually save each other even after rage hits.

You aren’t supposed to double posts it creates extra work on our moderators.... edit your last post if you were the last one to post in a thread.

also....

On 10/20/2019 at 6:08 AM, hirokc44 said:

As I said in my main post, this update is like a "band-aid" fix for Jason players who didn't have the patience to ride the learning curve and adapt to the way counselors played.

I feel this statement is a little entitled sounding....

Jason’s gameplay was required to change and adapt with every continuous nerf he got from the launch of this game.....the slight speed boost and 2 knives and Rage mode were his only buffs in two years.... everything else changed and added to the game benefited counselor game play.

Both sides need to have patience and “ ride the learning curve ..” as you say but I ask Why do you think it is Jason who should Adapt to the way counselors play?...

When the game was initially being developed the developers said Jason would be overpowering and kill you often they even said get ready to die a-lot....This idea of the The Horror movie icon being beaten up and down by as little as two to three counselors was not what the developers had in mind.... hence the Rade mode being introduced.....so saying Jason players didn’t have the patience to learn and adapt isn’t a correct statement....when considering the developers are the ones who decided to implement the change based on witnessing firsthand the issues with Jason Gameplay.

From the beginning of this games launch counselor players complained that Jason was too OP these complaints allowed the nerfs to Jason and buffs to counselors that required the rage mode in the first place.......

And though I do agree that Rage mode was not the best way to eliminate the Piñata parties of old ....it did do exactly that and some things that have come from it were a Necessity.... 

1....Jason being stunned after smashing down a door ......it was ridiculous he hits the door with more impact with his face and body than a counselor can... that makes perfect sense.

2....ganging up and stun locking Jason the moment he comes out of block needed to go.....

3.....Rage mode did not feel like it made Jason more powerful in anyway it just felt like his abilities recharged faster...

4....The threat of Rage mode has significantly increased the amount of objectives repaired in game and that’s a good thing.... 

• Thanks 2

Hey @OCT 31 1978, i apologize if my "band-aid" comment sounded entitled but I can assure you that it wasn't the intention. I would like to attribute a different emotion to that sentence, disappointment. Also I said the exact same thing in my main post, why didnt you react then?🤔. Hope you read my whole post before placing such labels on me.

I'm starting this discussion after months of observing the rage update, believe me most of us counselors have adapted.. and so have the Jason teamers and Jasons themselves. There are some things good about the update such as Jason being stun immune when breaking thru doors in rage but in my honest opinion, the bad outweighs the good, I've already discussed in depth on my main post and in my replies so kindly read up . All I'm asking for is a possibility of saving ourselves and other counselors from Jason even after he hits rage becoz not everyone is fortunate or experienced enuff to escape before he does. 

Post rage, the game really reminds me of DbD where you can only run away from the killer without any option of defending yourself BUT with a stamina meter that WILL run out unless you're not Vanessa or some other high stamina counselor. The fact that you can actually fight back is what drew me into this game. I still love this game, I really do, but I'm sure me and many other counselors feel that some balancing has to be done on Jason's end :)

On 10/15/2019 at 2:19 AM, hirokc44 said:

While there are quite a few people who feel thay the rage update given to us on January 2019 was a much needed buff, i beg to differ.
I feel that it is ,as some people on reddit say, a "band-aid" fix for the beginner Jasons who didnt have the patience to ride the learning curve.

Ok since you asked here are some thoughts on your main post:

“Beginner Jason players” is not the reason why The Rage mode was adjusted.....

It was adjusted because Jason had gradually become a pathetic joke in his own game...... 2 to 3 counselors could easily keep him on his back for the entire 20 minutes of a match because of poor gameplay mechanics it had nothing to do with skill or patience  .......a cap to that Needed to be implemented that is all the Rage buff is a time limit to how long it’s possible to lay him out on his back.....

To add to this as a jason player, I don't feel any sense of accomplishment when i kill an entire lobby with my OP abilities.

His abilities didn’t change with the Rage Buff they were always OP the game is not meant to be balanced for playing against equals.....the 1 v.s. 7 is supposed to be the Over powered one.

Its been many months since the rage update and ive noticed that 9 times Outta 10, there will always be a group of trolls who senselessly smack jason all the way to rage mode. As a result, the penalty of their actions falls on the peaceful players who are focused on the objectives.

This is unfortunately a day in the life in the history of all online multiplayer games....

Trolls will troll they find a way..... they will always use Gameplay mechanics against players....... Teaming with Jason has always been a thing, running players down in cars, team killing before it was removed,  Hiding parts in the woods before item marking was a thing,  taking parts with them through the exits ect.

Another problem with the rage mode is the spam grabbing. The stun invulnerability of post-rage Jason makes it such that counselors can be grabbed instantaneously after being saved . The only way you can escape a grab after rage is to hope for Jason's mask to come off because of which he is stunned momentarily.

I completely understand this issue and and though I can’t say it’s that big of an issues I wouldn’t be opposed to a tweak here.

. And this brings me to another grievance , once you're injured post-rage,  doesn't matter if the entire lobby tries to distract jason, you WILL not survive. Again, we have to thank the stun invulnerability for this.

This a very situational issue that you are blaming the stun invincibility on.....

If you were injured and you die regardless of Pre rage or post rage and it was because of the Jason players doing ....good job to the Jason player he or she is playing the right way.

At some point you need to ask yourself these questions:

what did I do to get injured?

Did I trip on a trap?

Did Jason knife or slash me?

what perks should I be running

Was this avoidable?

I liked this game more than other games such as  DbD because you can atleast fight back but now it has turned more or less into a game of waiting for your stamina to run out.

I also like the game more than dead by daylight 😄 

But I disagree that the game has become a waiting game for stamina to run out as it is a attribute in the game that you can manage....... And an aspect of the game that I also consider a fun and challenging part of the game.

There are alternatives I can suggest:
- Make all stuns post rage "instant recovery standing stuns" , the ones where you dont have to mash buttons to recover from. This would result in a stun that is about a second long. Very quick recovery but still solves the issue of instant regrabs, being unable to heal when Jason is on top of you, being unable to distract Jason when he's on top of an objective and combat that feels very unrewarding/unresponsive.

This is a very Interesting suggestion.....I think that I would prefer that it only does this when hitting Jason when he’s holding another counselor and his grab however........not with every hit he receives post Rage.

-Keep the rage abilities but make it such that the rage meter is unaffected/less boosted by counselors attacking jason so that we dont get the rage mode too early in the game as a result of a group of trolls.

Trolls will find a way to troll and team regardless of the mechanics....

Note: After the rage update, everybody seems to be using only high stamina characters like Vanessa/Buggzy etc which I cant blame, so many of the other counselors tend to be unused because they just can't survive jason post rage, this is another proof that the game still needs some balancing. Not to mention the number of jason teamers have rapidly increased...)

I don’t Think choosing high stamina characters Is proof that the rage buff needs tweaked.... Some players just prefer those characters........I prefer high repair characters that’s just my play style.

Most Jason hunter players will use Vanessa and Bugsy to get the mask off quicker and be able to run Jason around the map as needed...... Vanessa has always been considered a high tier counselor...... And a lot of players eyes debatably the “best “character to use.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, hirokc44 said:

Hey @OCT 31 1978, i apologize if my "band-aid" comment sounded entitled but I can assure you that it wasn't the intention. I would like to attribute a different emotion to that sentence, disappointment.

No apology necessary differences of opinion will always be something that happens in all walks of life we can all walk away from here .....agree or disagree Nothing personal about it.

Hope you feel the same way.

Also I said the exact same thing in my main post, why didnt you react then?🤔. Hope you read my whole post before placing such labels on me.

I read all of the posts in the thread....I didn’t originally I meant because other said what I was thinking....

Your main post originally said “Beginning Jason Players” were what you based your opinion on By the rage buff was implemented....... The one I decided to comment on made it seem like all Jason players didn’t have the patience to adapt to the way Counselors Played.... Which is what I did not Agree with.

I've already discussed in depth on my main post and in my replies so kindly read up . All I'm asking for is a possibility of saving ourselves and other counselors from Jason even after he hits rage becoz not everyone is fortunate or experienced enuff to escape before he does. 

I can totally understand that agree a tweak could be implemented.

Post rage, the game really reminds me of DbD where you can only run away from the killer without any option of defending yourself BUT with a stamina meter that WILL run out unless you're not Vanessa or some other high stamina counselor. The fact that you can actually fight back is what drew me into this game. I still love this game, I really do, but I'm sure me and many other counselors feel that some balancing has to be done on Jason's end :)

We both definitely love this game otherwise we wouldn’t be on a forum talking about it two + years in to the games launch......

Friday the 13th is a completely different game than DBD....Even with the rage update I feel there’s still way more that you can do an F13 then in DVD.......Jason can be killed at any point in the game pre- Rage or post Rage.......while in dead by daylight you cannot kill the “killers”......

The game still allows you with specific items to Stun Jason even when in Full Rage giving players though very limited survival tools and options to overcome Jason.....

In my opinion I feel it adds to the entertainment factor of the game.

• Like 1

Appreciate you for speaking your thoughts on my post, you had quite a lot to share :)

Here's to hoping the devs apply some of these toggles to the game so that we atleast have a chance of saving ourselves and others from Jason's clutches post rage.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hirokc44 said:

Appreciate you for speaking your thoughts on my post, you had quite a lot to share :)

Here's to hoping the devs apply some of these toggles to the game so that we atleast have a chance of saving ourselves and others from Jason's clutches post rage.

You can save others from a jason grab.

You're supposed to die when Jason grabs you.  Too much fighting back was what led to jason getting stun imunity in the 1st place.

Much better ways to solve that issue, game devs went for the easy fix instead

1 hour ago, hirokc44 said:

We will see what the future hold for the game I don’t see to many changes to the gameplay mechanics coming just “fixes“ to the bugs that are still plaguing the game.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:11 AM, HuDawg said:

You can save others from a jason grab.

You're supposed to die when Jason grabs you.  Too much fighting back was what led to jason getting stun imunity in the 1st place.

Much better ways to solve that issue, game devs went for the easy fix instead

Yea obviously, if you're all alone and Jason grabs you, you're finished. What i was talking about was to make it possible for other counselors to save you from Jason post rage which isn't currently the case :)

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and found it after looking for what I call a cheat mechanic that myself in a party of 5 found last night playing on the PS4.

We started a game and within a few minutes the Jason had gone into rage.  We were all confused as neither of us took notice of the buff or update we just play the game a couple of times a month.  We later found that the other 3 in the game (one of which was Jason) must have been in a party as they were blatantly ignored by Jason and then allowed to escape.

Reading this thread I can only assume that the Jason fast traveled to one or both of them, and they activated the rage mode through hitting, breaking the grab, etc. Then pursued all others in the lobby with rage now enabled.

This kind of ruined that match for us, as it became clear that there was no point even trying to escape.

I don't mind the buff, we all accept that if found by Jason early on there's a huge chance your game is over. That is just how the luck goes sometimes, but to be in a game where rage is purposefully triggered by a councillor should not be allowed.  The lack of reporting this issue is the worst part of it, I do think there should be a kick option added or at least enable players to report glitches, etc.

Sorry i just had to vent my frustrations and to make you all aware that is not just trolls or inexperience activating the rage, is being done for self gain too.