NthnButAGoodTime

Collaborating the Ultimate Halloween Playlist

Posted (edited)

I propose that the members of this forum could work together to construct the ultimate never ending Halloween-Month playlist. I intend to add my personal picks here over time and encourage anyone who would like to contribute. My thought is that each entry could be formatted the same (Artist, "Song Title.", Album) with any personal commentary underneath, so that it would be easy to copy and paste into one list for everyone. I plan to curate the list from whatever responses are received and periodically add suggestions to this first post. Assuming this works out, not everything you read below this would be my contribution:

Jonathan Coulton, "Creepy Doll.", Thing A Week Four

• A wonderfully oppressive song about a haunted object 

Jonathan Coulton, "Re: Your Brains.", Thing A Week Two

• I work in an office. I love my job. I love the people I work with...but this is absolutely how a zombie apocalypse would unfold here.

Alice Cooper, "Feed My Frankenstein.", Hey Stoopid

• Gleefully gruesome poetry with one of my favorite lyrics: "run my greasy fingers up your greasy spine"

"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Nature Trail To Hell.", In 3-D

• A complete roast of the slasher genre while describing a movie I would absolutely love.

Guns N Roses, "Sympathy For The Devil.", Interview With The Vampire (soundtrack)

• Yes the original by The Rolling Stones is a masterpiece, but for a Halloween playlist, I prefer this interpretation. The instrumentation is more haunting.

Marilyn Manson, "This is Halloween.", Nightmare Revisited

• My daughter despises this cover and begs me to switch to the original. Maybe she's right, but sometimes I just want an over-the-top twist on an old favorite

Ramones, "Pet Sematery.", Brain Drain

Go nuts, everyone!

Format:

Artist, "Song Title.", Album

• Personal commentary (if needed)

Running List:

Jonathan Coulton, "Creepy Doll.", Thing A Week Four 

Jonathan Coulton, "Re: Your Brains.", Thing A Week Two

Alice Cooper, "Feed My Frankenstein.", Hey Stoopid

"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Nature Trail To Hell.", In 3-D

Guns N Roses, "Sympathy For The Devil.", Interview With The Vampire (soundtrack)

Marilyn Manson, "This is Halloween.", Nightmare Revisited

Ramones, "Pet Sematery.", Brain Drain

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Red Right Hand.", Let Love In

Metallica, "Of Wolf And Man.", Metallica

Gerard McMann, "Cry Little Sister - Theme From 'Lost Boys'.", The Lost Boys Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Prince, "Bat Dance.", Batman

The Beatles, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer.", Abbey Road

Edited by NthnButAGoodTime
  • Like 1

A few more to get pasted above:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Red Right Hand.", Let Love In

• You could throw a TON of Nick Cave on here, including the entire Murder Ballads album, but I'll restrain myself. It was featured in The X-Files, Scream (with a second version written for Scream 3), and the first Hellboy

Metallica, "Of Wolf And Man.", Metallica

Gerard McMann, "Cry Little Sister - Theme From 'Lost Boys'.", The Lost Boys Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

• You could make the case for the Marilyn Manson cover on this one, as well, but it doesn't hit me the same way the original does

Great idea!!! I am looking forward to other lists and I will have to put one together my self!!

I'll add something to the list, once I sift through my personal collection. That's gonna take a couple weeks at least.

A few more, since people are paying attention:

• Look. There's no avoiding it. You are going to see all sorts of flavors of Joker, this Halloween: from Heath Ledger holdouts to generic comic Jokers to the new movie's Joaquin-Phoenix-as-1981-era-Taxi-Driver-remake-Jokers (with or without the teardrop). Why not remind everyone of a time when Batman was played by a comedic actor, Gotham was a gothic art-deco nightmare, and Joker was a mobster.

The Beatles, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer.", Abbey Road

• In the subtext, you have an observation about how life/death can catch up with you when you aren't expecting it, or whatever. On the surface, though, it's a story of a serial killer prefers to use a hammer. That's pretty damn Halloween, if you ask me. Bonus: the production of the song is a nice time capsule of why The Beatles broke up, to add to the horror.

6 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

A few more, since people are paying attention:

• Look. There's no avoiding it. You are going to see all sorts of flavors of Joker, this Halloween: from Heath Ledger holdouts to generic comic Jokers to the new movie's Joaquin-Phoenix-as-1981-era-Taxi-Driver-remake-Jokers (with or without the teardrop). Why not remind everyone of a time when Batman was played by a comedic actor, Gotham was a gothic art-deco nightmare, and Joker was a mobster.

The Beatles, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer.", Abbey Road

• In the subtext, you have an observation about how life/death can catch up with you when you aren't expecting it, or whatever. On the surface, though, it's a story of a serial killer prefers to use a hammer. That's pretty damn Halloween, if you ask me. Bonus: the production of the song is a nice time capsule of why The Beatles broke up, to add to the horror.

Man do I love that Price Batman album!!