Sign in to follow this  
Big Daddy J

WTF is with the F13 Ultimate DVD Collection Cover?

Seriously, what bizarre Jason is this on the cover? He has a zipped up leather jacket with what looks like might be a furry collar. He's skinny. And his mask matches none of the existing masks.  It has the standard forehead chevron from most Jason masks, but then the cheek ones are positioned like Roy's in Part 5, but they are red instead of blue. I mean, seriously, what is this. It looks like a bad cosplay. This is an OFFICIAL release, by the way.

91YKO4Y+OPL._SL1500_.jpg

• Haha 1

@Big Daddy J 

All the DVD covers that were made during that time were goofy AF.... they should never mess with these movies original covers they are amazing and so iconic.....if a company wants to Redo the original covers they should at least print the original on the backside like Shout factory does so we have the option to switch it.

07F77CD5-AFEB-4658-8199-8EC492839C94.jpeg

As someone whose love of horror (and movies in general) started in the local video store, it hurts my heart to see the current design approach for physical media. 

The box art used to grab the viewer and tease us with the adventure, or terror, or hijinks that awaited us on the tape inside.

It feels as though the focus today is to paste a recognizable star's face haphazardly within view, and barring a star, some other icon without the kind of artistry and care that made me fall in love with the medium.

This makes art me want to watch whatever is on that tape:

34952_dick-tracy-vhs-1-28405.jpg19933_Great%2520Outdoors%25201.jpg

tumblr_pjlec5srPz1qla11zo1_1280.jpg

To this day, I still want to see the movie that this cover is pretending is in the box.

microwavemassacre1.jpgf13e9b2245f43ae9ba40bf46d4b0d8c6.jpg

This art would've made me miss out on a great movie, because it's bland or nondescript like everything else on the shelf:

A1iW0KBQ3tL._SL1500_.jpg

"A story of two clearly photoshopped men who are either bored by or slightly bemused by some light bondage play with a raccoon, while what proportionately must be a bear cub looks on in confusion."

1MV41f2af6cfe02d9bc88bafcdc304f3c30.jpeg

"The guy from all those rom-coms just heard a rumor that will shock Bridget Jones . Does that businessman really moonlight as a lumberjack?"

71KH30Y2YXL._SL1500_.jpg

"A serious courtroom drama featuring a team of young lawyers out for justice."

911uUQ5Q5bL._SL1500_.jpg

"Which one of these guys is going to tell him his makeup looks bad?"

91vedawfC3L._SL1500_.jpg

"A gang of floating heads solves the mystery of the glowing bowling ball"

8c23ecc6-d10b-4197-aac9-ab63e0830211_1.0

"Tom Cruise has come from the future to call you a loser... just as soon as he can bring his finger and his thumb the shape of an L to his forehead"

• Like 1

@NthnButAGoodTime you are 100% correct today’s

movie posters/ blue -ray / DVD covers are garbage compared the old VHS ones from the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s.....the original covers just make you want to see the movie.

2 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

@NthnButAGoodTime you are 100% correct today’s

movie posters/ blue -ray / DVD covers are garbage compared the old VHS ones from the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s.

It feels as though companies have forgotten that box art is supposed to entice the viewer to buy or rent the movie, and only remember that they are supposed to provide some kind of visual like some sad giftwrap. So now, they just check off the box.

If I may be permitted to conjecture, I believe the death of the video store is responsible for the death of box art. It used to be that if a company was going to convince a rental store to take up limited shelf space with their movie, they were going to have to put some freaking effort into it. Track down any of the old merchant facing promo reels about upcoming releases, and you'll see an actor who played a minor character in the movie (or sometimes the star of the movie) practically begging the store owner to include the movie in their inventory. Elaborate and exciting box art was an extension of that salesmanship.

Now that the need to appeal to small business owners is gone, and since big box retailers are just dispassionately flinging new releases at their sheves, the love and care and desperation that fueled intricate box art is lost.

• Like 1

I remember the day my dad took me to star world video, the first store around that had more than one copy of the movie, and he had me close my eyes and walked me to the horror section and said open. There were 20 boxes of Jason lives and I lost my mind but noticed that there were no video tapes behind any of the boxes. I was so upset but my dad had the store manager put one behind the counter for us along w a Jason lives poster. Sorry for rambling but The post got me thinking about them days. 
Anyway I fucking looking at the covers. There were movies I would go look at every time I went in just to look at the cover. 

oh and how the fuck are you gonna sell the collection without the part 3,4, or 6 mask on the cover?

• Like 2

I remember seeing and buying the DVD collection.. I was like ''what the fuck is this cover and why does he have Roys mask on'' 

• Haha 1