Sign in to follow this  
Xenofon1313

Pocket Knive Skill Check?

The idea is that we need to hit skill check to escape Jason's grasp via pocket knive. If you miss you died. More balanced and more fun. It's to easy now, c'mon. 

Nah that’s silly. But I think they should implement an activation button to choose whether or not you want to use it. 

With this if you forget to activate the knife then it doesn’t get used and jason gets the kill. 

Sorry, but that's an awful idea. I don't like a pocket knive being Decisive Strike. There are already a max amount of pocket knives and you can easily counter that by slashing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HowAreYa said:

Sorry, but that's an awful idea. I don't like a pocket knive being Decisive Strike. There are already a max amount of pocket knives and you can easily counter that by slashing.

Yeah, it's an awful idea for you because you want it easy. I understand. Remove battery, gas, and police actions then. Should be an action for you to escape Jason's grasp.

I don't feel it's a horrible idea; it's similar to DbD and the Decisive Strike like HowAreYa stated. There are times when another player is nearby and I know they would help me out by hitting Jason instead of me having to use my knife, which would definitely come in handy. That's the one benefit I could see if this feature was implemented, but no new content so...

1 hour ago, Xenofon1313 said:

Yeah, it's an awful idea for you because you want it easy. I understand. Remove battery, gas, and police actions then. Should be an action for you to escape Jason's grasp.

It's a bad idea because it doesn't really add anything to the game. As @HowAreYa pointed out, we don't need d-strike added to the game. If you want to add skill checks, making it part of the break free attempt would be a better approach. Instead of button mashing give them skill checks based on there strength and composure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

Nah that’s silly. But I think they should implement an activation button to choose whether or not you want to use it. 

With this if you forget to activate the knife then it doesn’t get used and jason gets the kill. 

Out of all the things suggested this is probably the best idea. I believe it was like this in the Beta but they made it automatic for the final game. It could help certain characters like Adam, who can escape grabs the fastest. Adam with grab escape perks is pretty good. I would say don't make the player have to select it in the inventory but maybe make it a new button so it can be activated in one moment.

5 hours ago, Xenofon1313 said:

The whole point of getting skill checks when repairing is to make it suspenseful, because if you fail once, you're pretty much dead. If Jason grabs you, it should be game over. A pocket knive gives you an extra chance, which is why they're very limited and balanced very well. It's easy to escape the grasp, because you must be lucky to get those knives. You clearly don't see the point of why they added those knives and instead you're attacking me on my comment, because in fact, it's a horrible idea.

Ginny survived Jasons grab.

Chris survived Jasons grab.

Trish survived Jasons grab....should I go on?

Who wants it easy?

Its fine the way it is now. The skill check for a pocket knife is bad idea.

Also allowing counselors to basically pocket them forever and ever to use when they want would be a huge nerf to Jason. So that's a bad idea too.

If anything, I'd be in favor of changing the way the grab works now in favor of making THAT a skill check, but it would be based on composure and strength, instead of repair. Thus adding more relevance to those skill sets. I feel like doing it that way would make the whole grab situation more balanced in a one on one scenario. Since you know, they basically probably will never change how grip strength works for Jason and Counselor.

Formula is simple

High Strength = Faster Skill Check

High Composure = Less Checks Overall

Low Strength = Slower Skill Check

Low Composure = More Checks Overall

So for a character like Bugsy. His skill wheel would most fast, but he would have as many skill checks as he usually does with repair. A character like Jenny would have less checks overall but the wheel would move slower. Characters like Adam would have a healthy balance of both, etc.

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I believe it was like this in the Beta but they made it automatic

I didn't have the opportunity to play the beta version, but it seems like you had to hit a button to use the pocket knife early on after release of the game. Seems like I remember a lot of people complaining that they made the knife automatic. I may be remembering wrong though.

At the time when there was a ton more pocket knives in the game, these sort of suggestions came up as it felt like everybody had one. Rightfully they got reduced in number,  it's OK as it is now but I would've deffo gone with that it needs to be highlighted in your inv bar when jason grabs. There may be a few times somebody forgets to do this and jason gets an easier time.