Seraphic King

Is Side Shifting an exploit?

you mean like using the RB button while in shift? i would have to say no thats not an exploit. anybody sayin otherwise was just mad ya side shifted on their ass!

No. All it does is let you control a somewhat hard to control mechanic. Besides they'd have tried to patch it out by now.

4 hours ago, GhostWolfViking said:

@Seraphic King

Side shifting? A better explanation would be helpful.

How do you do it and what is it's intended purpose?

A video clip would be nice.

RB button+direction while in shift sir. kinda hard to handle at first.

• Like 1

Tested it out on offline bots. Works great. Should have been in the tutorial. Hold RB while shifting.

Allows you to control shift much easier and not waste it getting stuck on everything.

Definitely not an exploit. Thanks for sharing the clip.

For you PC users, do you prefer M & KB or controller? I've always been using M & KB mainly because I don't want to have to re-learn everything. I'm sure aiming is easier with mouse but aside from side-shifting, what is a benefit of controller?

19 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

For you PC users, do you prefer M & KB or controller? I've always been using M & KB mainly because I don't want to have to re-learn everything. I'm sure aiming is easier with mouse but aside from side-shifting, what is a benefit of controller?

I play on PC now, coming over from Xbox so the controller for me just feels so natural.  One thing that happens to me on with M&K is my character will walk sometimes instead of jog, especially after a grab.  Also combat stance feels more difficult, such as preforming a double tap & dodging, but that is most likely just me not being accustomed to M&K for this particular game.  

2 hours ago, hab007GE said:

I play on PC now, coming over from Xbox so the controller for me just feels so natural.  One thing that happens to me on with M&K is my character will walk sometimes instead of jog, especially after a grab.  Also combat stance feels more difficult, such as preforming a double tap & dodging, but that is most likely just me not being accustomed to M&K for this particular game.  

I can confirm dodging is atrocious on keyboard. I double tap and it is very random whether or not the dodge triggers.

I don’t think it’s an exploit, I believe it’s there to balance out the difference in control from k/m.  Some of the other techniques in YouTube videos are but this seems intended in my opinion. 

If it is, then the devs need to clarify it. 

Just the advantage of using a controller VS the keyboard.I've never made the transition yet. I'm saying it's not exploiting or cheating in any way.  I may have to start practicing with a controller as I use one for WWE 2k17.

It's an unintended mechanic of the game, therefore yes it is an exploit.

Just like counselors teleporting while in combat stance is an exploit. 

Just because you can do both, doesn't mean either is technique. 

On 8/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I can confirm dodging is atrocious on keyboard. I double tap and it is very random whether or not the dodge triggers.

I agree completely... dodge responds only half of the time I try it on mouse and keyboard.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, Slasher_Clone said:

I don’t think it’s an exploit, I believe it’s there to balance out the difference in control from k/m.  Some of the other techniques in YouTube videos are but this seems intended in my opinion. 

If it is, then the devs need to clarify it. 

To a mouse and keyboard user... yes, this is an exploit... Why?... You need a controller to do it, it cannot be done on mouse and keyboard.
   There does not need to be anything like this to balance differences between mouse and keyboard vs. controllers. Both have flaws compared to the other, but I will say... some of the best players I see in game are using controllers, not keyboards... With this being said, why would controller users need an advantage over mouse and keyboard?
    If you cannot do it on mouse and keyboard, but can with a controller... that screams exploit to me.... Methods of controlling characters in the game need to have ALL of the same options as each other... or it is by definition, and exploit.

I am not sure how much of an advantage this would give anyway... I can evade a shift grab just as easily when playing against a Jason using a controller or mouse and keyboard... But maybe, I just have not played against many Jason players that use this with their controller. Only someone that is equally skilled with a controller as they are with mouse and keyboard could say for sure.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:47 AM, GhostWolfViking said:

Tested it out on offline bots. Works great. Should have been in the tutorial. Hold RB while shifting.

Allows you to control shift much easier and not waste it getting stuck on everything.

Definitely not an exploit. Thanks for sharing the clip.

Yep side shifting is great. Now try going into knife stance but instead of throwing it hit cancel and then shift for an even niftier shift mechanic. Basically Knife + Cancel + Shift in that order and the camera position will look like you are flying in the air. Shift is also easier to control that way. It seems slower from that angle. Sorry I do not have a clip to show. But it's easy to do once you get the hang of it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ahab said:

To a mouse and keyboard user... yes, this is an exploit... Why?... You need a controller to do it, it cannot be done on mouse and keyboard.

The devs will have to say for sure. It isn’t in the same realm (to me) as other things considered exploiting.

There are things that are much easier to do with M/K, like knife throwing.... So shifting being made easier on a controller makes sense to me. It’s just the way it is.

That said, I don’t know why it’s worth all the fuss, so I’m going to bow out till the devs do comment. 

30 minutes ago, undrtkr said:

Yep side shifting is great. Now try going into knife stance but instead of throwing it hit cancel and then shift for an even niftier shift mechanic. Basically Knife + Cancel + Shift in that order and the camera position will look like you are flying in the air. Shift is also easier to control that way. It seems slower from that angle. Sorry I do not have a clip to show. But it's easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Could you make a clip of it and post it here so I know what you’re talking about?

There is also the overhead shift you can use by cancelling out of a throwing knife and immediately shifting. Its also slower.

55 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

There are things that are much easier to do with M/K, like knife throwing

That is simply a matter of perspective and practice... It can be done with a controller or mouse and keyboard just as easily from what I see... Just watched a quick throw tutorial in another thread... that guy was using a controller and is pretty damned good at it... Controller players just have to stop moving their camera around soo much when trying to do a quick throw. Focus on your target and where the crosshairs appear... easy peezy, once you have enough practice under your belt.
    Side shifting cannot be done on mouse and keyboard... but can be done on a controller... one group can do it, another cannot... so... exploit.

10 minutes ago, Ahab said:

That is simply a matter of perspective and practice... It can be done with a controller or mouse and keyboard just as easily from what I see... Just watched a quick throw tutorial in another thread... that guy was using a controller and is pretty damned good at it... Controller players just have to stop moving their camera around soo much when trying to do a quick throw. Focus on your target and where the crosshairs appear... easy peezy, once you have enough practice under your belt.
    Side shifting cannot be done on mouse and keyboard... but can be done on a controller... one group can do it, another cannot... so... exploit.

My understanding is that m&k are almost always easier to use in games that have aiming then a controller is. As others have said we'll have to wait for a dev response though.

This is what I meant in my theme created.

In the ps4 console I can use it without problems, On pc with keyboard and mouse / Joystick 360 no. It might not work either way on pc

1 hour ago, thrawn3054 said:

My understanding is that m&k are almost always easier to use in games that have aiming then a controller is. As others have said we'll have to wait for a dev response though.

I find mouse and keyboard easier to aim with in pretty much any game... but I am not used to a controller... and have no desire to use one. Players that play with a controller and are not used to mouse and keyboard will not do better with mouse and keyboard... The few I know that made the switch from a controller to mouse to keyboard had a hell of a time with it... I am not sure any of them stuck with it or switched back.
   Only a player that is good, or very good with both types can really answer that though. I only really hear one is better than the other from people that are just better with the one they are saying is better.

16 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I find mouse and keyboard easier to aim with in pretty much any game... but I am not used to a controller... and have no desire to use one. Players that play with a controller and are not used to mouse and keyboard will not do better with mouse and keyboard... The few I know that made the switch from a controller to mouse to keyboard had a hell of a time with it... I am not sure any of them stuck with it or switched back.
   Only a player that is good, or very good with both types can really answer that though. I only really hear one is better than the other from people that are just better with the one they are saying is better.

I believe most pro gamers prefer mouse and keyboard because it allows them to be more accurate. Though you make a good point. It would be hard to say for certain if it gives an actual advantage.