Sign in to follow this  
gmintz09

Knives not working as well?

Just had a quick question for all of you.

I consider myself pretty good at throwing knives as Jason in this game - generally most of my throws connect with the counselors.  However, with the most recent patch, I feel like they've been missing and going through the counselors' bodies more often than not.  I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this?  I also wondered if maybe this was related to the whole barricading door glitch where there's lag/latency/etc. between the server and the players and it is registering the counselors in a different location than where my knife is going on my screen?  Could just be my imagination, but wanted to see what others thought.  Thanks in advance.

I don't use them anymore online. 100ms they rarley connect.

I stick with slashing.

Most of my knives connect. There are times that I know it should’ve landed but it doesn’t but it’s not all that often. Also sometimes it makes the noise that it connected but doesn’t do damage

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, gmintz09 said:

Just had a quick question for all of you.

I consider myself pretty good at throwing knives as Jason in this game - generally most of my throws connect with the counselors.  However, with the most recent patch, I feel like they've been missing and going through the counselors' bodies more often than not.  I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this?  I also wondered if maybe this was related to the whole barricading door glitch where there's lag/latency/etc. between the server and the players and it is registering the counselors in a different location than where my knife is going on my screen?  Could just be my imagination, but wanted to see what others thought.  Thanks in advance.

Throwing knives can be pretty hit and miss... and there will always be a bit of a lag issue between you and the player you are throwing knives at... When pings get too high, you will miss more often, there is really no way around that. Even with lag though, a knife thrown at someone running away from you in a straight line will most often hit even with lag, as long as they to not deviate from their course before the knife hit registers on their end. With lag the miss is usually caused by their deviation from where you are aiming at before it registers on your screen that they are no longer there.
    The path of a thrown knife can be difficult to follow as they move pretty fast and the lighting is pretty low without altering it. But now and again I see one of my throws go right through the counselor I was aiming at... Every time I have checked when this happens, there are high pings in the lobby, it does not have to come from the person you are aiming at. 
    I doubt it is your imagination... it is probably just due to the ever present lag. If you are playing this (or any other multi player) game with someone who is playing on a computer right beside yours, you will see the difference between what is going on between the two screens even with very low pings. Even when the difference is barely a second for something they did to occur on your screen, this can be enough for your throw to miss... Until we use quantum entanglement for our communications, there will be lag... Sometimes it is barely noticeable, but it is always there.

21 hours ago, GhostWolfViking said:

I don't use them anymore online. 100ms they rarley connect.

I stick with slashing.

I watch the pings often when I play Jason due to this... but I do not start seeing big issues with knives connecting without someone closer to 200ms in the lobby. Anything higher than that and you will always miss more than hit with them. That is not to say there are not issues under 200ms, they are just harder to notice. When the players with high pings have joined the afterlife club, it does not seem to affect gameplay as much anymore... from what I have observed at least.
   Several players with pings over 150ms will also cause noticeable issues with throwing knives seeming to miss when they looked like they should hit as well... Once again, this is just what I have observed.

20 hours ago, DontZzz34 said:

Most of my knives connect. There are times that I know it should’ve landed but it doesn’t but it’s not all that often. Also sometimes it makes the noise that it connected but doesn’t do damage

I do alright with the knives for the most part as well... But I have noticed that sometimes it makes the noise for a hit and does not interrupt their movement like a knife hit should... This appears to have done no damage to the counselor... but maybe it didn't register as a hit and the sound played anyway?... I am not sure about that one, but I will write it off to a miss caused by lag as well until further information presents itself. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Yeah I think they are harder too. They need to add some aim assist for this.

You don't want to add aim assist for throwing knives... then I would never miss. It just takes practice... Lots of practice.

@TimDuke 01 That is not a bad tutorial for knife throwing... He got the basics right... but he got a couple things wrong. The width of his crosshairs he had on the screen is the width of the target when within about ten feet or closer... When he says... "see how it hit them but it was a bit to the right of the center of the crosshairs.... that is because they moved into it in that direction. He got lucky with those hits. The width of the target decreases with distance, making them a smaller target and thus, harder to hit... but not impossible. But if they are moving in any direction other than directly away from you, that is because they moved into it, and the thrower was just lucky.
    He also didn't mention the archery physics which you can still use with a quick throw... after they are more than thirty feet or so (distance is hard to judge in the game) you have to start aiming higher than you would if they were closer or the knife will miss every time... Quick throws at distance like this are much more difficult to pull off, but still very possible... I have been practicing with that for a long time now... and at this point am doing very well with long distance quick throws... 20 yards or so, after that a quick throw is near impossible to hit. Long distance throws beyond that require a bit of aiming time or you will miss almost every time (the target is now too thin at these distances)... They will see you aim, but few will even try to dodge at distance as they think you cannot hit them from that far away.
    When there is very little lag, quick throws work very well... and will only hit within the tolerances of the width of the target vs the distance of the target... I do not see quick throws hit in my games that far off the center of the crosshair without the counselor actually moving in that direction.
     Lag only causes an issue when the target has moved from where you aimed and threw before the hit was detected on their end, and confirmed to your end. One second of lag between you and your target doesn't seem like much, but it makes a world of difference when considering the travel time of a knife throw.
     I look at the center of the crosshair in relation to Jason's right shoulder to remember where it is... but I have another trick that could help others that have a hard time with this....

There is one game that I had a bit of trouble with some archery.... Kingdom Come: Deliverance... when you use a bow, you no longer have a "crosshair" in the center of the screen... To help me learn to shoot better in that game, it cut a very small piece of electrical tap and stuck it on the center of the crosshair... It helped immensely in that game, and this trick could help players learn to use the quick throw in this game as well... Just do not use tape with excessive adhesive or you could screw up your screen... A tiny cutting of electrical tape worked for me and left no mark on the screen, but I left an edge up to easily remove it... If you need to scrape it off with a knife... even if done gently... that could leave marks on your screen... I did not need to use this trick for F13... but it could help others learn to do this quicker... Just be VERY mindful of the tape used and how you take it off when finished with it... Some tapes will damage your screen when you attempt to remove it even without using a knife to scrape it off.

I haven’t personally seen a problem with knives since the patch. It may come down to the users connection and latency like mentioned above. I normally landed about 90% of the quick knife throws I attempted pre-patch, and it seems to be the same since. 

Here is a match from a few nights ago:

16 hours ago, Ahab said:

You don't want to add aim assist for throwing knives... then I would never miss. It just takes practice... Lots of practice.

I don't mean "auto-aim" like the game just locks on for you. I mean a nudge, like a soft reticle magnetism(not "bullet/projectile" magnetism). Just a slight nudge towards counselors. Think Halo 3. There would be no "bullet magnetism" where the projectile "sucks" to the player after thrown. Just a little assist is what I'd want.

6 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I don't mean "auto-aim" like the game just locks on for you. I mean a nudge, like a soft reticle magnetism(not "bullet/projectile" magnetism). Just a slight nudge towards counselors. Think Halo 3. There would be no "bullet magnetism" where the projectile "sucks" to the player after thrown. Just a little assist is what I'd want.

Even just a nudge would be enough to turn my 90% accuracy into 100%... Out of 14 knives that I usually pick up in any given match, I rarely miss more than three throws overall... and I will still pick up more than 14 in a match, I just stop gathering knives at 14 before going after counselors... but I will still stop to grab every other knife I see while chasing counselors... and I still miss 3 throws or less in a match... The 90% is just an estimate, but in general... I rarely miss unless I am wearing the beer goggles. I did spend an inordinate amount of time practicing with the throwing knives though... But in general... 9 out of 10 of my throws hit already... without the involvement of the beer goggles that is, and even that does not lower my ratio of misses that much. It is very rare for me to miss more than 3 throws in a match... even if I have grabbed and thrown every knife on the map... Even every knife on the map is not enough to eat up every med spray when considering how many people use medic and thick skin.
    In my mind at least, that is still a bit too much of a buff for Jason players that are already VERY good with the knives.

Just for a bit of an assist though, try cutting a small corner of electrical tape and placing it dead center of the crosshairs as I mentioned in the post above... Just leave it a bit loose (folding one of the corners up helps)... don't run your finger over it to smooth it down on the screen, you need to easily be able to remove it without a tool or you WILL damage your screen. This will help burn into your mind where the crosshairs appear and you should not have to actually use this trick for long.
    I only needed to do this in Kingdom Come Deliverance because it is first person view and there is nothing to use in relation to the center of the screen as you move around... but in this game, the proximity of Jason's right shoulder (without aiming) to where the crosshairs appear (when aiming) is enough for me to know where the center of the crosshairs are.

Halo 3 is one I have never played... I got bored of shooter games a long time ago... Since the first of these games, it has been the same shit in every one of them over and over again... later games just have better graphics, but the gameplay is almost exactly the same in all of them.... Probably why I like this game so much... the asymmetrical balance is something different than we had in older games.

@TimDuke 01 The second video was also pretty good. Although he is tilting his camera up to raise the crosshairs for long distance throws, he still neglects to mention this though. He gives many great tips, but forgets to mention the archery physics.

@Dragonfire82877 That last quick throw in your video illustrates why the guy in the other videos thinks the knife throws off to the right of the crosshairs... Your quick throw there began the zoom in too aim, revealing the crosshairs... As it zooms for the aiming, the crosshairs appear to the left side a bit and are not centered, but Chad was centered for your throw compared to where the crosshairs end up when the zoom in completes... and the zoom in does not complete if just tapping the button for a quick throw. Its all about perspective.