RockyMtnReaper

Level Bias When Coming Back as Tommy?

I've noticed a pattern recently that it seems generally lower level players come back as Tommy rather than high level players. I am a level 150, and I'd say 1/10 times I will come back as Jarvis. I will have been dead for about 12 minutes in the game, the only counselor dead, and the moment another dies, that counselor will become Jarvis. Or vice versa. I'll be the second one dead, but the other person comes back as Jarvis. It seems the only time I'll come back as Jarvis is only when another very high level player is dead. 

Am I just on a huge run of bad luck when coming back as Jarvis, or Is there a bias against high level players?

So far as I'm aware there isn't a level bias. The problem with rng is, well it's random. I've had those runs where I didn't get to be Tommy for long stretches. I'm pretty sure it's just bad luck.

5 hours ago, RockyMtnReaper said:

Am I just on a huge run of bad luck when coming back as Jarvis, or Is there a bias against high level players?

I have never noticed a pattern of low level vs high level for Tommy selection... and I almost always check the levels of every player in the lobby... just for shits and giggles. I think you are just having a run of bad luck on that one.
   On those times I do die or escape early in the match, I am very often selected as Tommy... no matter the level of any other player in the afterlife club with me. But maybe that is because I do not want to be Tommy, I was hoping for someone else to be selected so I could go out for a smoke and not get my entire group booted for me being AFK. Sometimes it only seems I am picked as Tommy when I don't want to be picked... Random number generators are weird.
   I have also had long stretches without being chosen as Tommy as well.

I don’t think new players should even get selected as tommy. 90% of the time they’re worthless and hide away from Jason while you as counselor are getting non stopped chased by Jason. And to top it off they aren’t repairing, they’re just hiding like a little bitch. Lol can you tell I’ve dealt with these Tommy’s one too many times???

When I play as a counselor I generally go for the sweater, hoping to kill Jason. 95% of the time Jarvis returns, it's a low-level player who has no idea what he's doing. This is also part of the reason that leads me to wondering if there is a bias against high-level players regarding Tommy Jarvis. And even in a lot of the rare instances where a high-level is Tommy, he'll ignore me and try to fix the car or something. Sometimes a friend and I will play in the same lobby and we have the same goal of killing Jason. He is around level 80 or so and almost never (never) has a problem coming back as Jarvis. 

Somethings definetly off with tommy though, for as long as I can remember certain players seem to get him more than others. Could be any number of people dead and one of my friends gets him 75% of the time. Over 100 matches and she’s gotten him atleast 80 or so, so idk how random tommy truly is

I always come back as tommy when I don’t want to because I want a Marlboro or something. It be cool when you get to the dead escape lobby if they ask you right away would you like to be Tommy. If you hit yes then you’ll be picked from a  pool of people who want to. 

I do think you need to be 45xp to be Tommy. After you get the jasons you then earn the right to be tommy

I’ve definitely noticed this. It doesn’t matter if I die first or second, the other guy is tommy 8/10 times. 

Sometimes it makes me just leave the game as I’ve been dead for a good 8-10 minutes only for someone else to die and immediately respawn as tommy. It’s gotta be more then just bad luck. 

4 hours ago, BlkHawk said:

I’ve definitely noticed this. It doesn’t matter if I die first or second, the other guy is tommy 8/10 times. 

Sometimes it makes me just leave the game as I’ve been dead for a good 8-10 minutes only for someone else to die and immediately respawn as tommy. It’s gotta be more then just bad luck. 

I would've balked at this about a year ago, but now, I'm honestly inclined to concur. I used to wonder if it was just bad...... very bad luck on my part that if I either sacrifice myself early to get a key objective accomplished, or I just screw up and do something stupid and get caught early that I almost never am the one who gets the Tommy spawn. You know there's more to it when other people in your group comment to you "seems like you're never the one who comes back."

Would any of the staff here know about it? Should we take this to them?

Alright, guys. There is absolutely a level bias against Jarvis. I'll keep close tabs on it. Whoever comes back as Jarvis is almost always, nearly 100% of the time, a lower level than all of the people killed. Players coming back as Jarvis is not random anymore. There is a level bias. I am a level 150 and never (NEVER) come back as Jarvis. Does not matter what order I die in. I am never Jarvis.

11 hours ago, RockyMtnReaper said:

There is a level bias. I am a level 150 and never (NEVER) come back as Jarvis. Does not matter what order I die in. I am never Jarvis.

i'm 150 and come back as Tommy about 1/3 -- 1/4th of the time. There is not a level bias, ask the Devs if you don't believe me.

11 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

i'm 150 and come back as Tommy about 1/3 -- 1/4th of the time. There is not a level bias, ask the Devs if you don't believe me.

Once I posted this, I went back to the game and it seemed to even out a bit. It is so bizarre. If there really isn't a level bias, then that is an amazingly long stretch of coincidence where the lower level comes back as Tommy for like 50 straight matches. lol.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:12 PM, RockyMtnReaper said:

When I play as a counselor I generally go for the sweater, hoping to kill Jason. 95% of the time Jarvis returns, it's a low-level player who has no idea what he's doing. 

Should wait for Tommy to spawn 1st.  Then go grab the sweater together...

6 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Should wait for Tommy to spawn 1st.  Then go grab the sweater together...

Every now and then I'll play with a friend and we'll have the same objective. He'll be Jarvis a decent amount of the time, he's around level 80 or so, but I almost never come back if I die instead of him.

Seems random to me honestly. I doubt there is any level bias. However honestly I wouldn't mind if there were. Coming back as Tommy is usually a chore for me personally. Either because I simply do not feel like playing or because everything that could be done already is.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, DontZzz34 said:

I don’t think new players should even get selected as tommy. 90% of the time they’re worthless and hide away from Jason while you as counselor are getting non stopped chased by Jason. And to top it off they aren’t repairing, they’re just hiding like a little bitch. Lol can you tell I’ve dealt with these Tommy’s one too many times???

New player need to play Tommy as well... and this is the best tactic for screwing up a kill squad... Let them deal with a noob playing Tommy.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, RockyMtnReaper said:

When I play as a counselor I generally go for the sweater, hoping to kill Jason. 95% of the time Jarvis returns, it's a low-level player who has no idea what he's doing. This is also part of the reason that leads me to wondering if there is a bias against high-level players regarding Tommy Jarvis.

Never go for the sweater before Tommy shows up... Noob mistake... It is recommended you do not go to the shack without Tommy with you... Even if you have the mask, sound pings from that direction are a dead giveaway.
   I kill noobs first when fighting a kill squad on purpose... Let them deal with a noob Tommy player... This works more often than not for a reason. I am also not the only Jason player that does this... I will avoid killing members of the kill squad and any other high level players until Tommy shows up, or they give me no choice.
   To come back as Tommy, you have to die or escape before Tommy is selected. Most nights that I do not get a chance to play Tommy, I simply survived up until, or past the point where Tommy spawned in... But when I do die or escape early enough (and this is a requirement to be selected as Tommy)… I am selected as Tommy quite often.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:55 AM, SteadyGosling said:

Somethings definetly off with tommy though, for as long as I can remember certain players seem to get him more than others. Could be any number of people dead and one of my friends gets him 75% of the time. Over 100 matches and she’s gotten him atleast 80 or so, so idk how random tommy truly is

I have never seen a pattern in Tommy selection... and pattern recognition is easy for me.
   Your friend is simply dying or escaping before Tommy is selected, with very few others to chose from... Random number generators are weird... and there are patterns to it, but not the type of pattern most people would associate as being a pattern... Certain experiments will reveal these patterns and they can be duplicated over and over again with different methods of choosing random numbers leading the exact copies of the same patterns.
    With only two counselors to chose from, its a flip of the coin... %50% vs 50%... and a random number generator can give you anything under 50% a great many times in a row... just as it can give you anything over 50% many times in a row. Dice (another method of generating random numbers) work the same way. You can have long periods of time in which you are not selected as Tommy, or be selected as him quite often... neither side of this will last long and most players will have a similar number of matches they were selected as Tommy as everyone else when taking the numbers from 100+ matches.... Noobs might be selected more often for one reason only... they die quicker and were the only players for the selection process to chose from.
    Your friend being selected 80 out of 100 times though.... that sounds like an exaggeration. It is possible, but would require this friend dying early in pretty much all of the 100 matches... No one is escaping early that often... and Tommy being selected either without another player in the afterlife club (suicides don't count towards selection)… or with only one in almost all of these matches.
     If there was any bias towards Tommy selection, I would have seen it a VERY long time ago... and I would not be the only one to have seen it. Many other people are VERY good at pattern recognition... and many of them are better than I am at it.

18 hours ago, RockyMtnReaper said:

Once I posted this, I went back to the game and it seemed to even out a bit. It is so bizarre. If there really isn't a level bias, then that is an amazingly long stretch of coincidence where the lower level comes back as Tommy for like 50 straight matches. lol.

Like I said.... Random number generators are weird.
   You have to play hundreds of games (paying close attention to EACH of them) before you can even tell if there would be any bias here... and any game you live longer than the point in which Tommy is selected cannot be used to determine bias against you being selected as Jason. Each match is different... Even with the same players over and over again, they will almost never die in the same order, or at the same time as another match. But players that do die early are often new players (not always, but this can and does happen often) and this can seem to skew the results towards lower levels being selected as Tommy.
    I play with friends all the time, many of whom are level 150 players... there are ALWAYS a few lower level players in the mix... and I see no bias towards Tommy selection. Depending on who dies or escapes early enough to be selected... beyond suicides not being eligible for selection... the lower level players get selected just as often as the higher level players over the course of each night I play. Unless the new players last longer than some experienced players... which can also happen. Even the best players can die first too, it is just rarer to see than a newer player dying first.
    If you play a lot of matches in which you do not die or escape early.... you simply will not be selected to play Tommy. If you commit suicide... you will not be selected as Tommy. But other than that... it is completely random between players in the afterlife club at the time of selection... Over thousands upon thousands of matches, I have seen absolutely nothing to make me think otherwise... and I pay attention to it all the time. But I also understand how random number generators work... most people do not, even though they will claim they do... Like people that think it is laughable that I would suggest there is a pattern in random numbers for instance... but with just a bit of research, they will find I am correct... Chaos theory is very interesting... and the patterns in random number generators can be duplicated over and over again.

22 hours ago, RockyMtnReaper said:

There are times I've really wanted to come back as Tommy (for example, getting killed 30 seconds into the match by a tunnel-happy douchebag and noticing a female counselor heading for the shack) but didn't, and times where I really didn't want to, but did. Usually those are along the lines of:

"Thank God! Now I'm gonna quit before I com--

*Dramatic music*

"Fuuuuuuuu!"

16 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

There are times I've really wanted to come back as Tommy (for example, getting killed 30 seconds into the match by a tunnel-happy douchebag and noticing a female counselor heading for the shack) but didn't, and times where I really didn't want to, but did. Usually those are along the lines of:

"Thank God! Now I'm gonna quit before I com--

*Dramatic music*

"Fuuuuuuuu!"

See I don’t get this. Tunnel happy douchebag. Is there like a unwritten rule that you can only  go after a player for a certain amount of time? Or like everyone else you’re just upset because you died?

55 minutes ago, NickersLarge said:

See I don’t get this. Tunnel happy douchebag. Is there like a unwritten rule that you can only  go after a player for a certain amount of time? Or like everyone else you’re just upset because you died?

I literally had a Jason player tunnel me two games in a row couple nights ago. First game comes after me at start for 10 min straight. I escape to cops. 0 kills. 2nd game. Again somehow finds me at game start and chases me and only cares about me. Me and two others are in a cabin, they leave, Jason follows and is looking around and doesn’t see me. So he comes back in and comes after me. This chad and Shelly are trying to hit Jason and he just walks right away from them and tunnels me. For another 10 minutes. I actually died by getting ran over on accident. Car was coming towards me, I’m keeping Jason in my camera view, I run right into the car lol. Jason players who put all their attention on one player can be annoying. I said we may as well just 1v1. 

And @Ahab when ur Jason yes a noob tommy is preferred. Buts what really annoys me is when I tank all Jason’s traps at the phone or car that I had to use my spray for and The parts are there, and this noob tommy player is in a hiding spot or just sitting in a cabin doing zilch while I’m getting chased.

56 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

Buts what really annoys me is when I tank all Jason’s traps at the phone or car that I had to use my spray for and The parts are there, and this noob tommy player is in a hiding spot or just sitting in a cabin doing zilch while I’m getting chased.

That is exactly why forcing only noobs to be selected as Tommy works... It isn't just because they make mistakes more often.

58 minutes ago, DontZzz34 said:

Jason players who put all their attention on one player can be annoying. I said we may as well just 1v1. 

The best kiters I play against, I look at as good practice... and stay on them from the time I see them until the time I get them. This has cost me kills in some matches, and cost them the amount of time they can keep this up for in later matches as I get better from practice against great kiters.
    But I laugh at people that bitch about me "tunneling" them... Should I just give up the chase after wearing their stamina down to nothing, raising their fear to max (which reduces stamina regeneration to next to nothing)… and eaten up their pocket knives and med sprays?... Wow, that would be dumb to give up the chase at that point, unless a car starts, or someone is going for the fuse box that I have trapped... Only these two things give me enough reason to abandon ANY chase.

7 minutes ago, Ahab said:

That is exactly why forcing only noobs to be selected as Tommy works... It isn't just because they make mistakes more often.

The best kiters I play against, I look at as good practice... and stay on them from the time I see them until the time I get them. This has cost me kills in some matches, and cost them the amount of time they can keep this up for in later matches as I get better from practice against great kiters.
    But I laugh at people that bitch about me "tunneling" them... Should I just give up the chase after wearing their stamina down to nothing, raising their fear to max (which reduces stamina regeneration to next to nothing)… and eaten up their pocket knives and med sprays?... Wow, that would be dumb to give up the chase at that point, unless a car starts, or someone is going for the fuse box that I have trapped... Only these two things give me enough reason to abandon ANY chase.

But the difference here was this Jason after me didn’t even stop chasing me for the car or for anyone else. He just ran right by other people to come after me. They literally had the car going one game he ignored it and he was STILL on me. Literally getting chased at game start and Jason only focusing on one person 2 games back to back? What I’m stating is a bit different from your perspective.

1 hour ago, DontZzz34 said:

But the difference here was this Jason after me didn’t even stop chasing me for the car or for anyone else. He just ran right by other people to come after me. They literally had the car going one game he ignored it and he was STILL on me. Literally getting chased at game start and Jason only focusing on one person 2 games back to back? What I’m stating is a bit different from your perspective.

That is a bit different... maybe you made yourself a priority in his eyes for some reason?
    I have continued chases like that before because I had no shift, or no morph active... or neither to even bother going after the car... But as soon as I get them back, if the car is still there... I am going after it... Unless I am chasing someone that ratted out another player... Everyone gets a free pass from me until the rat is dead... I forgot to mention that one above. Other Jason players may have other reasons to not bother with the car in that situation... But that is still up to the Jason player, not the person he is chasing.

27 minutes ago, Ahab said:

That is a bit different... maybe you made yourself a priority in his eyes for some reason?

Now it all makes sense to me..... it was that Tiffany 🍑 lol

• Haha 1