Sign in to follow this  
THUNDERGOOSE

Counselor movement on Switch

Is anybody having issues with the way the movement stick handles on the Switch version? Maybe I’m spoiled from using the Xbox sticks for so long, but it feels like the only way to maintain a light-jog speed is to push the stick straight up and not move it at all (relying on the other stick to turn). The slightest right or left will stop my counselor completely. This makes it all but impossible to juke Jason. It feels like a full run is the only way to have a chance at avoiding getting grabbed or hit with throwing knives, but that axes the entire practice of managing stamina while keeping Jason behind you. 

Is this just a problem with the tiny Switch sticks and their limited range of motion? Other than this one thing, everything else feels like it won’t take long to adjust to.

• Sad 1

No, it's not just you.  It's terrible and needs to be fixed ASAP in order for the game to be playable/viable as a counselor.  It was the first thing I noticed and honestly, it makes the game almost unplayable.  No juking, clunky movement, extremely limited mobility... so bad.

I’ve just been playing offline bots to at least earn some CP while they hopefully fix this game breaking issue. I hope it gets enough people upset that they make it a priority.

How did the Switch version even get released with such a glaring bug? It makes the game completely unplayable for me. I was so excited to start playing this game again now that it is on Switch, but quit after one game.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Maxflier said:

How did the Switch version even get released with such a glaring bug? It makes the game completely unplayable for me. I was so excited to start playing this game again now that it is on Switch, but quit after one game.

I completely know exactly what you mean.  It's horrendous.  Just make sure to report it and hopefully they'll fix it in the first patch, which, if I read correctly, should be out pretty soon.

• Haha 1

shouldn't have to use another controller to fix the issue, plus that still hasn't worked for some people. 

no one should have to use another controller its a game issue, not the joy cons

Been considering on picking up the Switch version until I viewed these various issues reported on the forum. Controls are a MUST for this game.

Don't know if it'll help much, but I am able to pair my Playstation 4 Controller (and various other controllers) using a device called "Mayflash Magic NS". They're in stock on Amazon and works really well whenever i'm playing Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Hey everyone. I actually submitted this as a bug in the other forum and they were very fast to respond to me. 

Unfortunately, it looks like this is not a bug. We’ll have to just adjust to it. I do appreciate how fast they let me know, but I’m super bummed about it. I will probably just do a lot more stealth characters on Switch and keep on punishing Jason with Vanessa on the Xbox with jukes galore. 

It looks like we’ll have to adjust to the clunky “steer yourself with the other stick” method. After enough time, I think I can adjust my play style to accommodate it. I love the game so much that it’s worth it to me. I’ll see you guys out there. Take care.

16 minutes ago, THUNDERGOOSE said:

Hey everyone. I actually submitted this as a bug in the other forum and they were very fast to respond to me. 

Unfortunately, it looks like this is not a bug. We’ll have to just adjust to it. I do appreciate how fast they let me know, but I’m super bummed about it. I will probably just do a lot more stealth characters on Switch and keep on punishing Jason with Vanessa on the Xbox with jukes galore. 

It looks like we’ll have to adjust to the clunky “steer yourself with the other stick” method. After enough time, I think I can adjust my play style to accommodate it. I love the game so much that it’s worth it to me. I’ll see you guys out there. Take care.

Incredibly disappointing.  Still makes zero sense to me given the vast amount of third-person games on the Switch that do not have this issue.  I hope they find a way to adjust it on their end.

1 hour ago, THUNDERGOOSE said:

Matt also posted that in another thread, but by the responses afterwards, I don't think people understood what he said.
    As long as it works with the "steer yourself with the other stick" method, it will just take some getting used to... But this is also an issue for the Jason player as well, is it not?... If so, it should kind of even itself out a little bit at least. Perhaps they should have made this clearer on the in game instructions or controller mapping.

it should just work, you shouldn't have to work around, if you can run any direction by diagonally, it's stupid. you shoudn't have to be stuck with clunky controls 

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

Matt also posted that in another thread, but by the responses afterwards, I don't think people understood what he said.
    As long as it works with the "steer yourself with the other stick" method, it will just take some getting used to... But this is also an issue for the Jason player as well, is it not?... If so, it should kind of even itself out a little bit at least. Perhaps they should have made this clearer on the in game instructions or controller mapping.

It hasn’t affected Jason at all, really. Especially running Jasons. For counselors and Jason, clicking the stick to run will allow full directional running. But that only hurts counselors who will blow through their stamina immediately. 

6 hours ago, 2moar said:

it should just work, you shouldn't have to work around, if you can run any direction by diagonally, it's stupid. you shoudn't have to be stuck with clunky controls 

Agreed.

I've never used a Nintendo switch so I'm not sure how it is but all I know is that if the counselors can't run diagonally, that'd be very annoying. 

Your joycon might be desyncing if you get stopped for no reason. If you sit more closer to the Switch unobstructive it shouldn't desync as much. 

11 hours ago, THUNDERGOOSE said:

It hasn’t affected Jason at all, really. Especially running Jasons. For counselors and Jason, clicking the stick to run will allow full directional running. But that only hurts counselors who will blow through their stamina immediately. 

Perhaps the Jason players are using the other stick to turn?... Does it affect you when you play Jason and move in the same manner?
   Counselors have three speeds... walk, jog and sprint... while each Jason variant only has two... walk and powerwalk, or walk and jog... I cannot even call it running for Jason, it is no faster than the slowest counselor jogging. I have seen someone suggest walk be taken out of the mix on Switch, and I do not think that will really hurt the gameplay for anyone on that platform... I rarely see any counselor players choosing to walk on PC... But walking is the only way for most counselors to give off zero sound pings.

If it works fine when steering with the other stick, then there is no problem. It will just take some getting used to. If it does not work when steering with the other stick, then it is a problem.
   Either way, I foresee lobbies full of players using Vanessa... which will still cause Jason players a great many headaches.

20 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Try using a pro controller. That should fix the problem.

I use a pro controller.

17 hours ago, THUNDERGOOSE said:

What?!?!

If that is true then I will be trading in my copy to Gamestop. 

19 hours ago, Maxflier said:

I use a pro controller.

Then yeah it needs to be fixed.

19 hours ago, Maxflier said:

What?!?!

If that is true then I will be trading in my copy to Gamestop. 

You might get a better deal by selling on ebay/LSN.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, Ahab said:

Perhaps the Jason players are using the other stick to turn?... Does it affect you when you play Jason and move in the same manner?
   Counselors have three speeds... walk, jog and sprint... while each Jason variant only has two... walk and powerwalk, or walk and jog... I cannot even call it running for Jason, it is no faster than the slowest counselor jogging. I have seen someone suggest walk be taken out of the mix on Switch, and I do not think that will really hurt the gameplay for anyone on that platform... I rarely see any counselor players choosing to walk on PC... But walking is the only way for most counselors to give off zero sound pings.

If it works fine when steering with the other stick, then there is no problem. It will just take some getting used to. If it does not work when steering with the other stick, then it is a problem.
   Either way, I foresee lobbies full of players using Vanessa... which will still cause Jason players a great many headaches.

I have been playing the hell out of the game and I can definitely say that I have really, really gotten used to this admittedly inferior (to the standard versions of the game) control style. It took a while to sort of un-learn the way I play on Xbox, but I’ve been out there juking and dodging throwing knives and it feels substantially better than it did on day 1. It still gets me killed occasionally, but the same can be said of a thousand other things so it’s ok.

Still, I just wanted to point out that Jason is not hampered at all by this control style because you can just click the stick and lock him into run or fast walk and leave him in it so you get the full range of directional movement with the left stick (it’s only an issue when the stick has to share the walk AND jog speed). I totally get why they had to make this compromise if the goal was to keep ALL of the options and the hardware had limitations. 

Lucky for me, Vanessa is my go-to so the controls are less of a problem than for someone who plays a low-stamina character. It’s great news for Jason all around, though and that’s what we should want! He’s the man we came to watch bury axes in people’s necks so there’s that.

20 hours ago, THUNDERGOOSE said:

It’s great news for Jason all around, though and that’s what we should want! He’s the man we came to watch bury axes in people’s necks so there’s that.

This is not a game for people that cannot handle dying in a video game... it happens to the best of us... A LOT.
   It is still unfortunate that the controls have to work that way though... that could be a deterrent to new players for sure. If something can be done about it, then they should do something... but  they went with it that way for a reason, and it could be much deeper than we think.
   Happy to hear you are having fun with it anyway... and, Happy Slashing!