FridayThe31st

John Carpenter’s Halloween (1978) vs Rob Zombie’s Halloween (2007)

A lot of people have strong preferences on movies and their remakes, more specifically the original Halloweens and the remakes. 

Between Halloween (1978) and Halloween (2007) which one do you prefer? And why?

As Halloween is one of my favorite franchises ever, I definitely have an opinion on this. I prefer the original Halloween not because it was made before or anything like that, but because in the remake I feel that they show way too much. In the original they show  one scene of Michael as a kid, and in that scene he doesn’t say one word. And that’s how it is the whole movie. It showed him right after he killed his sister and I feel like that was a perfect decision to build suspense. In Zombie’s remake they show too much of Michael’s childhood and I think that kind of takes away some of the scare factor. In the original movie he is shown with a lot of mystery to him and that’s what really makes him scary to a lot of people. 

I’m not hating on the remake or anything, the remake actually did a good job on the kills in the movie — it was much more gory than the original — but I will always like the original more than any remake.

Besides this, I really like the current timeline of Halloween — how it ignores every  movie after 1978. I’m glad they decided to bring back the Michael who kills on Halloween for no apparent reason. Though I do like Halloween II and other movies in the original franchise, I think it’s a lot more scary as a character for him to kill on every Halloween night for no apparent reason than kill on Halloween night to eliminate his family due to the curse he has. 

My personal favorite will always be the 1978 original. I understand Rob Zombies desire to put a fresh take on the story and thought his version involving Michaels childhood put a different spin on his background. However, while I did enjoy the 2018 version, I preferred the plot of attempting to kill his sister to be far more sinister. To me, it creates the atmosphere that she will never be safe until he is dead and gone forever. He will always have a target and those who get in his way are in mortal danger, even if he consistently botching the job of killing his sister and niece. In addition, the Samhain story also loosely ties in Season of the Witch, with Michael being another form of the ancient evil that Cochran was putting in his masks. The 2018 version shows that Michael has targeted Laurie and will always pursue her, but I would prefer a simpler explanation as to why,  otherwise at any point he can pull a Jason and just start killing everyone he sees like he did in Resurrection.  Also, in 1978, the film was based on suspense and atmosphere and didn't require a high body count. 2018 followed a formula closer to Part 4 Return of Michael Myers.  Enjoyable to be sure. And finally,  the Zombie version was more like a  Devils Reject and was far too profane to make it an actual remake.  It would show how a dysfunctional family setting could create a serial killer, but not one of Michaels caliber. Cheers and game on, my friends

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SonofOdin6039 said:

My personal favorite will always be the 1978 original. I understand Rob Zombies desire to put a fresh take on the story and thought his version involving Michaels childhood put a different spin on his background. However, while I did enjoy the 2018 version, I preferred the plot of attempting to kill his sister to be far more sinister. To me, it creates the atmosphere that she will never be safe until he is dead and gone forever. He will always have a target and those who get in his way are in mortal danger, even if he consistently botching the job of killing his sister and niece. In addition, the Samhain story also loosely ties in Season of the Witch, with Michael being another form of the ancient evil that Cochran was putting in his masks. The 2018 version shows that Michael has targeted Laurie and will always pursue her, but I would prefer a simpler explanation as to why,  otherwise at any point he can pull a Jason and just start killing everyone he sees like he did in Resurrection.  Also, in 1978, the film was based on suspense and atmosphere and didn't require a high body count. 2018 followed a formula closer to Part 4 Return of Michael Myers.  Enjoyable to be sure. And finally,  the Zombie version was more like a  Devils Reject and was far too profane to make it an actual remake.  It would show how a dysfunctional family setting could create a serial killer, but not one of Michaels caliber. Cheers and game on, my friends

Perfectly said. 

• Thanks 1

For me, it's John Carpenter's Halloween, Rob Zombie tried to change Michael's background to a point where it did not feel like a Halloween movie. Michael was made to be a force of evil, not a result of bullying as a kid or whatever. The remake seemed way too forced, imo. But hey, at least the kills were juicy. :D

• Like 2

The original classic....John Carpenter’s Halloween.

There is no comparison....The original hands down.... Atmosphere/ suspense and Characters you can relate to and care about....

Rob Zombies takes on Halloween didn’t even feel like Halloween...I constantly refer to them as Abominations.....the remakes feel more like an episode of Duck Dynasty fucked Honey Boo Boo mixed with Shock Horror....his writing makes his characters come off as non- Likable .....the films were not scary and only had fleeting moments that worked.

I am no prude and can handle all kinds of Horror films but good lord was his films repulsively vulgar.

• Like 3

carpenter's halloween, no question about it. the remakes very rarely live up to the original in my opinion.

zombies halloween had some great moments, and i like brad dorff & malcome mcdowell, & micheal myers did some great murdering..

but heres the main problem. getting to know micheal the first half of the movie, as a little shit head kid, makes the second half weak. youre comfortable with the killer before you meet the main character. youve seen micheal as a whiney little brat for like an hour before he becomes the shape.

farther more, micheal seemed more like jason in both rob zombie movies. a big bulky guy brutilizing people with super strength.. micheal is more stealth.. he should be a slender creep lurking in the darkness. the end of the movie drags on and with terrible dialoge & unlikable characters to go with. also, seeing jamie lloyd's boobs in a sex scene was just awkward since we all grew up watching her as a child in part 4 & 5.. like what a very WEIRD desision rob zombie made there... am i right ?? first time i seen it i said oh no not little jamie!

its not a bad watch but as with most remakes i felt it didnt do the original justice. with an all time classic like halloween, ya gotta do better than that. rob zombie did great with the devils rejects so i had high hopes for his remake. i did like homeless drifter micheal from part 2, but once again that whole set up seemed more like a jason thing to me.. halloween 2019 was much better & for the first time in years it felt like the real shape was back in action.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:17 PM, glowing ooze said:

carpenter's halloween, no question about it. the remakes very rarely live up to the original in my opinion.

zombies halloween had some great moments, and i like brad dorff & malcome mcdowell, & micheal myers did some great murdering..

but heres the main problem. getting to know micheal the first half of the movie, as a little shit head kid, makes the second half weak. youre comfortable with the killer before you meet the main character. youve seen micheal as a whiney little brat for like an hour before he becomes the shape.

farther more, micheal seemed more like jason in both rob zombie movies. a big bulky guy brutilizing people with super strength.. micheal is more stealth.. he should be a slender creep lurking in the darkness. the end of the movie drags on and with terrible dialoge & unlikable characters to go with. also, seeing jamie lloyd's boobs in a sex scene was just awkward since we all grew up watching her as a child in part 4 & 5.. like what a very WEIRD desision rob zombie made there... am i right ?? first time i seen it i said oh no not little jamie!

its not a bad watch but as with most remakes i felt it didnt do the original justice. with an all time classic like halloween, ya gotta do better than that. rob zombie did great with the devils rejects so i had high hopes for his remake. i did like homeless drifter micheal from part 2, but once again that whole set up seemed more like a jason thing to me.. halloween 2019 was much better & for the first time in years it felt like the real shape was back in action.

You are not wrong seeing A top less Danielle Harris brutalized by Michael was very uncomfortable.

I am sure it is what Rob was going for ( and even repeats himself in the sequel.) but don’t think it worked in any way to endear this film to the fans... just more shock horror I think it all he knows how to do.

RZ's Halloween is a steaming pile of trash.

None of his characters are likable...at all.  

The two characters who need to be likable for any horror film to work, let alone Halloween, are the main two protagonists.  Loomis is an insufferable asshole.  Laurie is an annoying trashy bitch.  

The dialogue is absolutely horrible.  "I'm Joe Grizzly bitch!" 

The I kill animals so of course I become a mass murderer cliche.

The only character who has redeeming qualities or has any kind of character development is Michael himself. 

Michael did not need motive or reason for his killing.  He was the embodiment of pure evil.  And pure evil can be anywhere and everywhere all at once. 

All of the above make RZ's Halloween not even worth a first watch, let alone a second.  How he was allowed to make a sequel after that trash is beyond me and somehow RZ's Part II was even worse.  There's no need to compare the two as Halloween 1978 is a classic movie, let alone horror movie and RZ's Halloween is garbage for even a horror film. 

• Like 1

There’s only the original, I don’t know what you’re all talking about.... a Rob Zombie Halloween movie, must be from some alternate timeline. 

Seriously though the original is brilliant and the remake is unnecessary, not much more to say I’m afraid.

Also give me skinny, stealthy Michael back, I know you have him somewhere, the new guy’s not quite my Michael. I am looking forward to the next two, but don’t think old man Michael is my Michael. I need a young guy with real body control who is actually scary. (teeth being dropped on the floor is not scary... cool but not scary.) If Michael would go back to stalking babysitters, that would make me happy too.

Just two more of my cents but the actor should be able to effortlessly flourish the knife. I know Michael doesn’t in the first but if they’re going to modernize something, it’s that. No talking, no face reveal, no reasoning, just doing. 

PS. I will gladly teach them how to flare a damn knife, it’s not that hard and awesome to watch. I like the idea of him expressing himself with it but being utterly lifeless otherwise. Also stalking, give me more stalking damn you directors. 

• Like 1

The original is significantly better. The re make was silly with the white trash family. It didn’t match the original where the family looked normal and Michael looked like a normal young boy that was just crazy inside. Also wasn’t a big fan of how big/loud/aggressive the new Michael was either. I like the more stealthy Michael that stalks more and that’s what the original Halloween’s were more geared towards. 

Original Halloween was great. I had a lot of fun rooting for Laurie throughout the film. Personally though I find most of Zombie's movies to be total ass. Although I really did enjoy 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects a lot. 

My franchise ranking:

1) Halloween (1978)
2) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
3) Halloween II (1981)
4) Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
5) Halloween (2018)
6) Halloween H20 (1998)
7) Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
8) Halloween (2007)
9) Halloween II (2009)
10) Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

For Halloween 6, I prefer the producer's cut version, but with the director's cut ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyMtnReaper said:

My franchise ranking:

1) Halloween (1978)
2) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
3) Halloween II (1981)
4) Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
5) Halloween (2018)
6) Halloween H20 (1998)
7) Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
8) Halloween (2007)
9) Halloween II (2009)
10) Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

For Halloween 6, I prefer the producer's cut version, but with the director's cut ending.

Nice to have a fellow Thorn Fan on the forums!

I like Halloween 3 but I usually never rank it with the Myers films. It’s in its own category for me....but if I were to this is what it would look like.

My list is as follows:

Halloween1978

Halloween II 1981

Halloween 4 

Halloween 6 ( both cuts I can’t watch one with out the other.)

Halloween 2018

Halloween 5

Halloween H20

Halloween III

Zombie Halloween Remake

Zombie Halloween 2 

Halloween Resurrection

10 minutes ago, OCT 31 1978 said:

Nice to have a fellow Thorn Fan on the forums!

I like Halloween 3 but I usually never rank it with the Myers films. It’s in its own category for me....but if I were to this is what it would look like.

My list is as follows:

Halloween1978

Halloween II 1981

Halloween 4 

Halloween 6 ( both cuts I can’t watch one with out the other.)

Halloween 2018

Halloween 5

Halloween H20

Halloween III

Zombie Halloween Remake

Zombie Halloween 2 

Halloween Resurrection

I've really grown to appreciate Halloween III. I used to resent it a long time ago. When I first watched it I was in my mid-teens, riding my bike to the video store and renting them all on VHS. I felt screwed when I sat through the whole thing and Michael wasn't in it. But it really is a solid horror movie. John Carpenter is a God-level director and he's 100/100 in music scores. I'll rank Season of the Witch with all the Halloweens, just as I do with A New Beginning in Friday the 13th rankings, but it's a totally unique horror movie that's withstood the test of time, has all the John Carpenter perks in a movie and Tom Atkins is a stud. So it's hard not to love.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMtnReaper said:

I've really grown to appreciate Halloween III. I used to resent it a long time ago. When I first watched it I was in my mid-teens, riding my bike to the video store and renting them all on VHS. I felt screwed when I sat through the whole thing and Michael wasn't in it. But it really is a solid horror movie. John Carpenter is a God-level director and he's 100/100 in music scores. I'll rank Season of the Witch with all the Halloweens, just as I do with A New Beginning in Friday the 13th rankings, but it's a totally unique horror movie that's withstood the test of time, has all the John Carpenter perks in a movie and Tom Atkins is a stud. So it's hard not to love.

It really is a solid Horror film! I am big fan of Conal Cochran and his Silver Shamrock villainy in the film....he has a very matter of fact attitude that is quite creepy.

• Like 1

I think that the 1978 Halloween and Halloween 2 are the best I know what rob zombie was going for kid becomes a killer from growing up in a dysfunctional family I get that, The characters are just so annoying there not the best for this movie also I don't like that Micheal Myers escapes the asylum because of some getting raped it just not right and his second movie was a back fire on it own that one was terrible, The 1978 Halloween is much better it's still creeps me out when doctor Loomis and the nurse pull up to the asylum and people are walking around out side and than Micheal steals the car 1978 Halloween is better John carpenter was the best horror movie writer he wrote the big classics like The Thing, Halloween, Christine, The silence of the lambs, 

• Like 1

John carpenter didn’t write or directed The silence of the lambs...he also didn’t write Christine he did direct it but not Silence of the lambs.

you are 100% right he is a master of horror and thrilling suspense...